Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

Metro was reporting the same Goulding rumours this morning
    Nobody does it better.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/di3s-ZaD_pk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Radiohead - Creep what a tune! odd choice if it is them did not see them being the type of band to do one.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Apparently their song Big Boots (Man-o-War) is a Bond tribute!

http://www.greenplastic.com/radiohead-lyrics/new-and-unreleased/big-boots/
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Re: The Ellie Goulding rumours; am I right in thinking that Sam Mendes had already said that the Bond track had been recorded well before the news above came out?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Re: The Ellie Goulding rumours; am I right in thinking that Sam Mendes had already said that the Bond track had been recorded well before the news above came out?

Yes that's what I thought too. I'm beginning to think there may be more than one song featured ...or just a steady flow of disinformation.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Possibly. I take these rumours with a pinch of salt. We will know soon enough I'm sure....
    I think they're going for a song in the film like WHALTITW. It sounds like SP is heavily influenced by OHMSS and this may be part of the referencing.
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of AM and would love them to do it. If RH did the theme I doubt it would sound like one of their more challenging tracks, even as fan I think they do test their fan base but rather that than the likes of Cold Patrol or Snow Play.

Yorke can still pull it out the bag, he provides some sublime vocal on both In Rainbows & King of Limbs and yes Turner is a better lyricist but RH are in another category when it come to the music, Jonny Greenwood already has a pedigree for score work and I'm sure if they have done the theme they'd be looking to providing something worthy of the series and not some experimental piece, I don't think EON would allow that.

These are probably the Radiohead tracks I like best...

I'd take an instrumental from Radiohead over Ellie Goulding any day of the week, but if it contained lyrics it would really depend on which Yorke turned up. I just don't get on with his voice a lot of the time. For me it's what sometimes drags the songs into a 'dirge', as I called it, but I understand for others it's probably not so much a problem.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    RC7 wrote: »
    @RC7 clearly not a fan although that opinion makes me suspect you have any music taste when one of the best bands of the last 30 years is a possibility and you come out with that, the series should be honoured if it happened after some of the right real dirge we've had doing it in the past

Yeah Smith or Goulding would probably be better for you, I'd be interested to know how you think RH would be a dirge and what of their material your basing this on?

Music is completely down to taste, there are one or two Radiohead tracks that are passable to my ears, but a lot that are dirge. I can appreciate the musicianship, but I like music with a little more soul. Thom Yorke has a voice that, to me, fluctuates between 'interesting' and 'incessant whine'. I'd take Arctic Monkeys over Radiohead in a heartbeat, Alex Turner is a better lyricist and has a verve to his voice that never borders on nauseating. Like I said, it's down to taste. They're not my bag.

Damn how do you people like radiohead? Radiohead is the most garbage, boring band I've ever heard in my entire life. I'm usually open minded but I really don't see the appeal in this band at all, all I hear is a bunch of random, not memorable noises and random lyrics. I mean does this really sound good?

The only song that remotely sounds good is Karma Police. I'd seriously rather have Madonna back again.

First you think loss less MP3 is better than audiophile vinyl and now this.

Yes music is taste but Radiohead garbage boring??? You are welcome to Ellie Goulding if you think that's great music.

I didn't say lossless MP3 was better I just said it's the closest to live.

And I really don't get the appeal of radiohead. I don't think Ellie Goulding is GREAT music but I enjoy it because it sounds good. Want to try whistling Radiohead? Try to do it with Lotus Flower.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RH are actual musicians. You know with talent... not fabricated.
    Radiohead would be amazing, if just for the kudos they bring to the film.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Radiohead would fit Craig's portrait of James Bond much better than Ellie Goulding or Sam Smith. It all depends on the song in the end but I think Radiohead could nail it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    RC7 wrote: »
    @RC7 clearly not a fan although that opinion makes me suspect you have any music taste when one of the best bands of the last 30 years is a possibility and you come out with that, the series should be honoured if it happened after some of the right real dirge we've had doing it in the past

Yeah Smith or Goulding would probably be better for you, I'd be interested to know how you think RH would be a dirge and what of their material your basing this on?

Music is completely down to taste, there are one or two Radiohead tracks that are passable to my ears, but a lot that are dirge. I can appreciate the musicianship, but I like music with a little more soul. Thom Yorke has a voice that, to me, fluctuates between 'interesting' and 'incessant whine'. I'd take Arctic Monkeys over Radiohead in a heartbeat, Alex Turner is a better lyricist and has a verve to his voice that never borders on nauseating. Like I said, it's down to taste. They're not my bag.

Damn how do you people like radiohead? Radiohead is the most garbage, boring band I've ever heard in my entire life. I'm usually open minded but I really don't see the appeal in this band at all, all I hear is a bunch of random, not memorable noises and random lyrics. I mean does this really sound good?

The only song that remotely sounds good is Karma Police. I'd seriously rather have Madonna back again.

First you think loss less MP3 is better than audiophile vinyl and now this.

Yes music is taste but Radiohead garbage boring??? You are welcome to Ellie Goulding if you think that's great music.

I didn't say lossless MP3 was better I just said it's the closest to live.

And I really don't get the appeal of radiohead. I don't think Ellie Goulding is GREAT music but I enjoy it because it sounds good. Want to try whistling Radiohead? Try to do it with Lotus Flower.

What has whistling to it got to do with it? Are you surprised when you call one of the most acclaimed and influential bands of the last 30 years boring and garbage that some of us might just say something?

The James Bond series would be greatly gifted to have such a band added to their ranks.

It would be interesting to know what you regard as great music, you can slag off you who you like but who would you say is better than RH.

If it's Coldplay or Maroon 5 I know where I stand.

We need another Sex Pistols moment to shake us out of the manufactured bland wall paper that passes for so called great music these days.

• MisterDanDMisterDanD London
    anyone notice the OHMSS sound byte in the trailer 2 clip? when the DB10 comes racing across the screen... makes me wonder if RH will do a theme tune without Lyrics
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    RH are actual musicians. You know with talent... not fabricated.

Nope, "actual" musicians are John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Hans Zimmer, Shostakovich, etc.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    Radiohead would fit Craig's portrait of James Bond much better than Ellie Goulding or Sam Smith. It all depends on the song in the end but I think Radiohead could nail it.

Arnold gets knocked a lot around here but wasn't the choice of Chris Cornell for CR almost inspired?

The way that Arnold could combine title track, artists and score into a coherent whole is what made him a worthy heir to Barry.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 127
    apparently someone placed £15,000 bet on Radiohead? Why, why??
    Radiohead seems such a random choice. May be ten years ago but why now?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Getafix wrote: »

Arnold gets knocked a lot around here but wasn't the choice of Chris Cornell for CR almost inspired?

The way that Arnold could combine title track, artists and score into a coherent whole is what made him a worthy heir to Barry.

CR is a top quality soundtrack, one of my favourites. You are completely right when you say he combined everything, and he did so beautifully and with superb class.
    Sandy wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

CR is a top quality soundtrack, one of my favourites. You are completely right when you say he combined everything, and he did so beautifully and with superb class.

I was very disappointed when he didn't get to do the title track for QoS.

YKMN and Surrender and the two best post-Barry songs IMO
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    MisterDanD wrote: »
    anyone notice the OHMSS sound byte in the trailer 2 clip? when the DB10 comes racing across the screen... makes me wonder if RH will do a theme tune without Lyrics

If anyone can it's them, but i'd rather have a proper song with lyrics.

I'd be better if they did the theme and then Jonny Greenwood did the score (I know, I know, we got Newman, but it'd be awesome!).
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Pardon my ignorance but which one's WHALTITW? I see this acronym thrown around here often lately.
  • RC7RC7
    Pardon my ignorance but which one's WHALTITW? I see this acronym thrown around here often lately.

It's WHATTITW

We Have All the Time in the World.
    Pushee wrote: »
    Nobody does it better.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/di3s-ZaD_pk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

n5edXpZ.gif
  • RC7RC7
    Pushee wrote: »
    Nobody does it better.

n5edXpZ.gif

Ha ha
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If EON are behind those back and forth rumours about shitty artists like Smith and Goulding. just as a tease before giving us the real present, which is Radiohead -brilliant marketing strategy.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

I have to agree. I know Radiohead are very popular, but no matter how much I try to get their music, I just can't. I really don't understand its appeal.

If they do end up singing the theme song, I'll give it a go, but I feel it's really going to take my excitement for the film down a notch or ten :(
    Red_Snow wrote: »

I have to agree. I know Radiohead are very popular, but no matter how much I try to get their music, I just can't. I really don't understand its appeal.

If they do end up singing the theme song, I'll give it a go, but I feel it's really going to take my excitement for the film down a notch or ten :(

giphy.gif
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Are you people talking about those Radiohead who had their high times in the 90's and early 00's? Who had their last real hit in 2007?
    Why on earth would EON choose those has-beens for the Bond theme??