Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• RC7RC7
    walter1985 wrote: »
    I know this is not really going to happen, but based on the new trailer, woudldn't it be funny if they said the OHMSS would be the new title song? :p I mean, Mendes did say it was already recorded.

it would be great :-D

It would be awful.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    To be honest I would be perfectly fine with a new orchestration of OHMSS theme.

Classic Barry versus Ellie Goulding/Sam Smith? I'm sold.
  • RC7RC7
    Walecs wrote: »

What's the logic of using OHMSS?
    lol they are not going to not have someone sing the title song
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    lol they are not going to not have someone sing the title song

=))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So just wondering ... if other artists have done a song of two for in the film, then a different artist for the main theme song ... this seems either helpful for Newman (who had to be strong-armed into putting the song "Skyfall" into the actual soundtrack score at all) and would give him songs to put into places, hoping it would satisfy fans and fit the storyline ... or this could be awful and end up sounding like a good film score (hopefully) but NOT a Bond film. Just still trying to get my head around that idea (multiple or a least a couple of different singers ...). Not counting the end credits which could easily have a different artist. What do you all think??
  • RC7 wrote: »

I don't think most people realize this but
    SPECTRE is pretty much a reinterpritation of OHMSS.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 3,157
    RC7 wrote: »

The fact it's a beautiful theme. Isn't it a valid reason?
  • RC7RC7

No.
  • I don't think they'd use it as the title song for the sole purpose that they're not going to give up the opportunity to gain publicity and $$ brought on by having a high profile performer doing the theme song, but even before I saw this trailer the idea of Newman incorporating the OHMSS theme into the score had crossed my mind. I believe Mendes had mentioned it was his favorite Bond film (or at least one of them) and of all the influences, it's the one SPECTRE draws most heavily from, IMO.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    I don't think they'd use it as the title song for the sole purpose that they're not going to give up the opportunity to gain publicity and $$ brought on by having a high profile performer doing the theme song, but even before I saw this trailer the idea of Newman incorporating the OHMSS theme into the score had crossed my mind. I believe Mendes had mentioned it was his favorite Bond film (or at least one of them) and of all the influences, it's the one SPECTRE draws most heavily from, IMO.

Every film has it's own unique identity even when they draw on another, or several others from the canon. TSWLM is YOLT, AVTAK is GF etc, but they are uniquely and definitively their own films. Incidentally those four films have some of the best themes and scores of the canon. I don't like the idea that everything is up for grabs, just because it makes people feel sweetly nostalgic. OHMSS happened and it was awesome, why we'd wish to taint that I don't know. The only recurring music (bar potential cues from the era) should be the James Bond Theme and the 007 Theme. It works fine for a trailer.
  • I don't know how it would necessarily taint anything. They could do a flat out remake and call it "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and it still wouldn't taint the original, especially given the context that the Craig films stand on their own. It's one thing to draw from the past purely based on nostalgia, but I don't think that's the case here. It makes sense given the direction the series is headed after Skyfall, and it's a type of story that makes sense to be told at this point in time. Also, OHMSS isn't terribly popular outside of fan circles, and I don't think there would be much objection to heavily borrowing from it (I doubt the majority of casual/non-Bond fans even recognized the music in the trailer.) As far as TSWLM and AVTAK are concerned, I think Spectre goes a step further than those two, but I won't go into spoilers in this thread.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm pretty sure OHMSS has been re-evaluated as a classic in recent years.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 1,215
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure OHMSS has been re-evaluated as a classic in recent years.

By cinephiles and those who follow the series closely, but most casual fans I know haven't even seen it and those who have weren't keen on it. I think it still has that image of being, "The one with that other guy who did one Bond." It was never really given a fair shot and now is the chance to put a spin on that story and do it justice.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm pretty sure OHMSS has beenre-evaluated as a classic in recent years.

By cinephiles and those who follow the series closely, but most casual fans I know haven't even seen it and those who have weren't keen on it. I think it still has that image of being, "The one with that other guy who did one Bond." It was never really given a fair shot and now is the chance to put a spin on that story and do it justice.

Do it justice? It's been done. Perfectly. Anyhow there's still no decent reasoning for using the score of OHMSS that I can see, and there never will be. Can't wait for a Bond where people aren't clamouring to see things they've seen before. If you find the score of OHMSS astonishing, and it is, go and watch it.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 1,215
    I'm pretty sure OHMSS has beenre-evaluated as a classic in recent years.

Do it justice? It's been done. Perfectly. Anyhow there's still no decent reasoning for using the score of OHMSS that I can see, and there never will be. Can't wait for a Bond where people aren't clamouring to see things they've seen before. If you find the score of OHMSS astonishing, and it is, go and watch it.

Well whether or not it's perfect is a matter of opinion, as there are many that would argue against that purely on the basis of Lazenby being cast as Bond (I'm not one of them, OHMSS is in my top 3). It was a film that was ahead of it's time and if that same film had been released today, it woud have a totally different reputation.

I want to clarify, that I'm not saying that the OHMSS theme will appear in the film, but for a movie that has some pretty deliberate and on the nose references to OHMSS, I don't think it would be that hard to imagine that a musical homage works it's way into the final film. Hell, in OHMSS itself we got musical references to past Bond films.

No.

You're right, I apologize. Crappy Sam Smith music makes much more sense.
  • RC7RC7

No.

You're right, I apologize. Crappy Sam Smith music makes much more sense.

I'd rather an original tune that risks being a dud, over reworking a classic. No need to get stuck in the past.
    I want to clarify, that I'm not saying that the OHMSS theme will appear in the film, but for a movie that has some pretty deliberate and on the nose references to OHMSS, I don't think it would be that hard to imagine that a musical homage works it's way into the final film.

I'd have to see it in context, but I'd still prefer an original score. There's too much clinging to the past in modern franchise movies. It serves no creative purpose in the long term. As for having it as the actual theme tune, as some are suggesting, that's just a poor, poor idea.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    the chances that Sony decides to rework an old song without much commercial potential rather than use one of their hitmakers to write on that could make a pile of money are few.
  • RC7RC7
    Sark wrote: »
    the chances that Sony decides to rework an old song without much commercial potential rather than use one of their hitmakers to write on that could make a pile of money are few.

Precisely.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,450
    "Lying" is the new trend on social media. Good "diversionary tactics" if I may say so. And luckily it works on a few occassions ;-). Because Sam Smith denied it fiercely, I think he'll be the man who's singing it :-).

If that happen or Lana Del Rey, then for second time after Mikkelsen who work at Bond movie i predict kind of...

In June 2014, almoost 10 years since i said i sugest Mikkelsen in Bond movie as villian/hechman i wrote this..
    M_Balje wrote: »
    If Eon heard from this news, i think we have the singer for Bond 24 or Bond 25

English!! singer Sam Smith celling 166.000 albums in the VS. Earlier Lana Del Rey celling more albums.

Source: http://www.nu.nl/muziek/3812267/debuutalbum-sam-smith-behaalt-verkooprecord-in-vs.html (Dutch)

New single:

Previous single

4 months later in August 2014 the first remours about Sam Smith starting
    http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/sam-smith-running-record-theme-next-james-bond-movie/

Of course also somebody like Robbie Williams should get change to sing a song, whyle is not realy fames in America. I haven't choose for Alicia Keys back in 2008, i have keep Shirley Bassey or choose for The Raconteurs if there whant Jack White so much. Funny or not, but in 2007 or so i won there album Broken Boy Soldiers and there be some remours about them in 2006-2007. For record i don't think Another Way To Die best best Bond song ever, but i think there whant a bif of fames fase for singing the lyrics / so younger people lissen to them.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,450
    Marina Lambrini Diamandis aka Marina & The Diamonds. Half British/Greek. She was born 10 October 1985 in Abergavenny, Wales to a Greek father and Welsh mother.

http://marinaandthediamonds.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_and_the_Diamonds
    https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_and_the_Diamonds

She is named with singers like: Lana Del Rey, Ellie Goulding

In my opnion she sound/look like more like a bit of Amy Winehouse/Lady Gaga / Sharleen Spiteri

3 More video's:

I know this is not really going to happen, but based on the new trailer, woudldn't it be funny if they said the OHMSS would be the new title song? :p I mean, Mendes did say it was already recorded.

It would be awful.

I'd love an Arctic Monkeys rendition of WHATTITW over the MAIN titles.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »

It would be awful.

I'd love an Arctic Monkeys rendition of WHATTITW over the MAIN titles.

Oh man, now I'm just disappointed knowing that that could be a possibility, but it probably won't happen. If we're doing talking bond covers, I think Arctic Monkeys doing Live and Let Die would be pure ecstasy.
    If Sam Smith has done it and the new Bond song sounds anything like his other hits then I'll be bored out of my mind listening to this.

I'd much prefer Ellie Goulding.

Does anyone have any idea when this is going to be announced? I wonder if the song will be released at the same time as the announcement. If I remember correctly, it usually isn't is it?
    Same with skyfall, I don't think we will hear anything till October. What do you think ?
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 330
    as long as its not sam smith. because honestly, I cannot stand his voice. so irritating. He wont be anyway, because he denied it and don't think they would pick him.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

I don't think most people realize this but
    SPECTRE is pretty much a reinterpritation of OHMSS.
    Not Exactly, but yes, there are some similarities between the two
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 591
    If this doesn't show you that Arctic Monkeys should do a theme I don't know what will.

And it'd be good cause as far as I know they haven't been rumoured in the large press companies.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,261
    Going to Throw a curve ball from left field, not someone who has been suggested so far, but had recent chart success, is on Columbia and fits the criteria met by other artists who have been selected to do the theme during the Craig Era - John Legend

Now there's an idea.

Two Songs one he did on Django Unchained, both tracks previously journo's reckon could have also worked as a Bond theme, to add further weight a film which also starred our very own Cristoph Waltz. Legend maybe a winner

Thoughts?

I was over in NYC from Scotland August 2013 and was lucky enough to get tickets for David Letterman and Legend was the music guest, it was the world premiere of his "All of you" track I was never a fan before but they guy is super talented, definately the standard of artist who should be doing a Bond theme.

And then Legend did this song for SELMA and won the Oscar for best orginal song.