SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Kananga wrote: »
    I think Spectre will top Skyfall.

2015 has shown how quick movies can make a billion (Fast 7 and Jurassic World)

And both were pretty crap.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I don't know if this has been reported here yet, but JW is now the biggest movie globally of 2015, thankfully dethroning that undeserving POS (imho) known as FF7, which rode a wave of sentimentality and banal action all the way to the top earlier this year.

Current data is $1.525bn for JW and $1.512bn for FF7 (although keep in mind that FF7 wasn't 3D so it tragically may have actually sold more tickets but at lower prices).

Both are likely to be surpassed by SW7 at the end of the year.
    RC7 wrote: »

And both were pretty crap.

I'm with you on that! The Fast franchise is the biggest load of rubbish ever.

That's another fact one should highlight. Cinema-audiences seem to be very arroused this year. "SPECTRE" could actually profit (indirectly) from the success that "Jurassic World" ($1,524,640,390 globally, now overtook "Avengers" from 2012), "Furious 7" ($1,511,726,205) and "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" ($1,393,498,417) have laid out. Audiences seem to be in good moods in 2015!

On top of that, this box office year seems to become a bit more quiet after July. And then 'Part 2' suddenly arrives. On November 6th, with "SPECTRE".
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

"SPECTRE" moved to 5th place now in the IMDB Movie Meter 2015! Highest non-released movie in the ranking. It seems the trailer of "Hunger Games", which was released almost at the same day, could not beat "SPECTRE". "Mission: Impossible 5" is mostly at #20 due to its premiere, which is this weekend.

#05: "Bond 24: SPECTRE"
    #07: "The Revenant"
    #13: "The Hunger Games 4: Mockingjay Part 2"
    #16: "Marvel's Fantastic Four"
    #17: "Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens"
    #20: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation"
    #33: "The Man From UNCLE"
    #46: "The Hateful Eight"

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    With star wars at #17 tells me all I need to know about tgat list.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    With star wars at #17 tells me all I need to know about tgat list.

Especially with 'Fantastic Four' coming before it.
    Exactly. It's completely bogus.
    Exactly. It's completely bogus.

It's not bogus. It reflects weekly popularity on social media as well. One needs to first check HOW this weekly IMDB Moviemaker is being made, BEFORE calling it bogus.
    It is bogus because its a weekly thing. People changing their mind every week lacks consistency to track any real, genuine interest to serve as a legitimate barometer of popularity.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Numbers were never my strong suit. Are these pictures live?
    It is bogus because its a weekly thing. People changing their mind every week lacks consistency to track any real, genuine interest to serve as a legitimate barometer of popularity.

"Bogus" implies that these figures have been faked up. And that's not the case. At most you can call these figures "not very representative for the long-term". Still, you can get some information out of it.

For example: Why is "SPECTRE" higher than "Hunger Games"? Both films released extensive trailers and pictures last week.
    Well by bogus I meant misleading, which is also what being bogus means and those figures are very much misleading. The fact that they're collated on a weekly basis assures this. The only thing this quantifies is how fickle and unreliable people are.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Well by bogus I meant misleading, which is also what being bogus means and those figures are very much misleading. The fact that they're collated on a weekly basis assures this. The only thing this quantifies is how fickle and unreliable people are.

/:)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    From my point of view also, this list is somewhat useless and irrelevant, because it will have no reflection on eventual box office, similar to how polls taken months in advance before voters concentrate/focus on the candidates and their policy positions are also irrelevant and often do not reflect the eventual result.

From that perspective, this can be misleading.
    Interesting marketing info (TV Spot advertising) for WB's "The Man From UNCLE" and Paramount's "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation":

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-takes-top-spot-for-tv-advertising-1201549901/
    So far, Sony's biggest hit of the year is 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2.' Just let that sink in:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/07/sony-box-office-paul-blart
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited July 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Only three movies have topped the billion, they all reached 1.5 billion even!
    Until Minion, Fifty Shades Of Grey was for almost the whole year so far the 4th top grossing movie worldwide with a meager 566 million which is one billion short of the other three!!!
    Minion is now going towards the billion, let's see if it reaches it.

To think Spectre will do 1.5 billion is a little insane.
    Spectre is not Jurassic Park, nor The Avengers. It's a Bond movie, no way, it can reach as many people as the other two.
    As for Furious 7, my theory is that at least 500 million was made only because everybody wanted to see Paul Walker for a last time.

2015 is nothing special yet, except for the insane amount of money JW is still making and the Furious 7 phenomenon.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If Daniel Craig fakes his death, it can easily top that amount.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    So far, Sony's biggest hit of the year is 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2.' Just let that sink in:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/07/sony-box-office-paul-blart

Ouch! I bet that they can't wait for SPECTRE to open just like us.

@nobodydoesitbetter, the worst part about it is that that's the biggest hit for Sony...and it only made a little over $100 million.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @nobodydoesitbetter, the worst part about it is that that's the biggest hit for Sony...and it only made a little over $100 million.

which worries me because if Spectre doesn't take in at least 700 million it will not make a real profit and that could be disastrous for EON.
    The budgets have gone out of control completely which has to be Barbara Broccoli's and part Michael Wilson's fault.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 709
    Bad for Sony, but ultimately, meaningless in relation to SPECTRE. Remember the Brosnan years? MGM never had ANYTHING else that made money outside of Bond. Other films' fortunes have nothing to do with how a Bond movie performs. Take a look at MGM's 2002 lineup. Bond at the top (DAD finished at 160 into January 2003), and plenty of big budget disasters trailing it : Rollerball, Hart's War, Windtalkers etc

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view=company&view2=calendar&yr=2002&timeframe=yty&sort=&order=&studio=mgm.htm
    And not only that, it seems so far only Universal and Disney seem to be throwing up 1 Billion Dollar Movies. Especially New Line Cinema, Lionsgate, Focus Features, but also Warner and Paramount aren't even in the TOP 7 of highest grossing movies of the years.

The weird thing now indeed is, that it'll be an almost certainty for Sony that they will be the 3rd highest grossing movie company when the year comes to an end, after Disney and Universal.
  • The thing is, relatively speaking, Sony doesn't get that much out of the Bond films. Sony gets its cut after Eon/Danjaq and MGM. SPECTRE will be a big grossing film, but it won't help Sony profits as much as you'd think.
  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    Bad for Sony, but ultimately, meaningless in relation to SPECTRE. Remember the Brosnan years? MGM never had ANYTHING else that made money outside of Bond. Other films' fortunes have nothing to do with how a Bond movie performs. Take a look at MGM's 2002 lineup. Bond at the top (DAD finished at 160 into January 2003), and plenty of big budget disasters trailing it : Rollerball, Hart's War, Windtalkers etc

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?view=company&view2=calendar&yr=2002&timeframe=yty&sort=&order=&studio=mgm.htm

It always seemed that MGM could never get a break and have a big hit outside of the Bond films during the 90's and 2000's...

• RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »

which worries me because if Spectre doesn't take in at least 700 million it will not make a real profit and that could be disastrous for EON.
    The budgets have gone out of control completely which has to be Barbara Broccoli's and part Michael Wilson's fault.

It's not their money so who gives a shit?
  • dinovelvet wrote: »

Barbershop was very lucrative for MGM that year. Low production cost can make a big difference to a film's profitability, even though the gross didn't top $100m.

dinovelvet wrote: »

Barbershop was very lucrative for MGM that year. Low production cost can make a big difference to a film's profitability, even though the gross didn't top $100m.

I think people forget the first sole MGM movie in years that premiered two months ago. The movie "Max", about a German Shepherd dog working during the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan. It was a very cheap movie, but it did pretty OK at the box office.
    The 4th "1 Billion Dollar Movie" is on its way. And although it will have more difficulty passing that mark, I think it could happen with "Minions".

Current global box office gross stands at $ 859 mIllion, China excluded. And it isn't that long out in cinema's.