SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

The challenge will be getting all the future installments to meet the new billon dollar quota
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    The challenge will be getting all the future installments to meet the new billon dollar quota

They should make the first film of the next era with a significantly lower budget. Something like 50-75 million dollars. Lower budget, lower expectations. Also, it would be great to see a modern Bond film that really is a thriller, rather than an action movie.

Too soon to tell, the next era isnt going to start until the early 2020s. who knows what style of filmaking will be popular by then.

I still believe Nolan is being considered for B25 or more likely the reboot.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 389
    If it was Top 5 worldwide and Top 10 "domestic", it would be great.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    chipsticks wrote: »
    Box Office: Early Tracking Soft for ‘Mission: Impossible’

July 16, 2015

rogue.jpg?w=600&h=316&crop=1

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-early-tracking-soft-for-mission-impossible-1201541833/

Doesn't surprise me much. The promotional campaign for "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" has been messy. And that's mildly put. The unexpected release date change, a whopping 6 months earlier, didn't help post-production and its marketing campaign.

Warner however is handling its promotional campaign for "The Man From UNCLE" much better. And I see it now as a competitor for "Rogue Nation".

And "SPECTRE"? Guys......:

--> They release the teaser trailer way earlier as compared to previous Bond films (27th March 2015)
    --> The teaser in itself is perhaps the best teaser you can think of. It creates a lot of buzz......more buzz as compared to "Skyfall" (youtube hits, likes, Twitter)
    --> The number of videoblogs is scaled down as compared to "Skyfall" (4 blogs so far, as compared to 12 (!) very spoiler-ish blogs for "SF")
    --> A first TV-spot, that's only 1 min, with only 30 sec's extra footage, so it's teasing even more
    --> The full 2min30sec theatrical trailer near the end of July, which is almost the same as the "SF"-full trailer (31st of July)

My conclusion: MGM/Sony/EON know exactly what they are doing :-). They are trying to create impatience and frustration (especially among fans), thus creating higher expectations, and even more viral buzz and exposure. I call this perfect marketing :-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    chipsticks wrote: »
    Box Office: Early Tracking Soft for ‘Mission: Impossible’

July 16, 2015

rogue.jpg?w=600&h=316&crop=1

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-early-tracking-soft-for-mission-impossible-1201541833/

Doesn't surprise me much. The promotional campaign for "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" has been messy. And that's mildly put. The unexpected release date change, a whopping 6 months earlier, didn't help post-production and its marketing campaign.

Warner however is handling its promotional campaign for "The Man From UNCLE" much better. And I see it now as a competitor for "Rogue Nation".

And "SPECTRE"? Guys......:

--> They release the teaser trailer way earlier as compared to previous Bond films (27th March 2015)
    --> The teaser in itself is perhaps the best teaser you can think of. It creates a lot of buzz......more buzz as compared to "Skyfall" (youtube hits, likes, Twitter)
    --> The number of videoblogs is scaled down as compared to "Skyfall" (4 blogs so far, as compared to 12 (!) very spoiler-ish blogs for "SF")
    --> A first TV-spot, that's only 1 min, with only 30 sec's extra footage, so it's teasing even more
    --> The full 2min30sec theatrical trailer near the end of July, which is almost the same as the "SF"-full trailer (31st of July)

My conclusion: MGM/Sony/EON know exactly what they are doing :-). They are trying to create impatience and frustration (especially among fans), thus creating higher expectations, and even more viral buzz and exposure. I call this perfect marketing :-)

I think MI5 may be a massive sleeper hit, despite the relative lack of marketing. As the article says, there is a lot of goodwill due to the almost unanimous praise heaped on its predecessor, which sort of reinvigorated the franchise after MI3's relatively poor box office showing.

Cruise is back in favour with a lot of the public after some troubled years during the Katie period and due to his daliance with Scientology (including the infamous jumping on Oprah's couch).

The trailer looks to be great, and the buzz is positive, so I think this one could do big business over a lengthy period of time, especially globally.

Man from Uncle is likely to do reasonably well in the US, but I'm not sure if it will do all that well globally, since it seems to be quite different from the TV series which ran all over the world many years ago, so it's a bit of an unknown commodity, in comparison to the mega-drawing power of Tom Cruise (probably still the top box office draw - an incredible achievement for a man who started out making mega hits in the 80's), combined with the MI franchise's deserved reputation.
    Here's the TOP 10 (TOP 100) of the IMDB MovieMeter as of July 21st 2015:

Until the list "Movies 2015 Only" is updated, I am looking at the "Movies & TV Series"-list, and in there there's no trace of "SPECTRE" just yet. Instead we see "The Man From UNCLE" at a whopping no#23. "Mission: Impossible 5" currently is at #55.

It shows that promotion/marketing for "SPECTRE" has been rather silent recently. Moreover, the TV-trailer from June 2015 doesn't get too many hits/likes on YouTube. Instead, "UNCLE" is getting heavy media exposure thanks to last week's Comic Con in San Diego.

Also interesting to see is DC Comics rise. It becomes much clearer that Marvel will get some serious and stiff competition next year from DC Comics. Will it result in a superhero overload?

(Movies & TV Series) http://www.imdb.com/chart/?ref_=ft_cht
    (Movies 2015 only) http://www.imdb.com/list/ls076237283/?ref_=hm_top_lk1#1

IMDB MovieMeter TOP 10:
    #01:
    "DC Comics Suicide Squad" (August 15th 2016, Warner Bros./DC Comics)

#02:
    "DC Comics Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice" (March 25th 2016, Warner Bros./DC Comics)

#03:
    "Marvel's Ant-Man" (in cinema's, Disney/Marvel)

#04:
    "Minions" (in cinema's, Universal)

#05:
    "Terminator Genisys" (in cinema's, Paramount)

#06:
    "Marvel's Deadpool" (February 12th 2016, Disney/Marvel)

#07:
    "Jurassic World" (in cinema's, Universal)

#08:
    "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (December 18th 2015, Disney/Lucasfilm)

#10:
    "Magic Mike XXL" (in cinema's, Warner Bros.)

Not featured in the TOP 10 are:
    --> #11: "Marvel's X-Men: Apocalypse" (May 27th 2016, 20th Century Fox)
    --> #14: "Inside Out" (in cinema's, Disney/Pixar)
    --> #16: "Marvel's Fantastic Four" (August 7th 2015, 20th Century Fox)
    --> #17: "The Hunger Games 4: Mockingjay Part 2" (November 20th 2015, Lionsgate)
    --> #20: "Mad Max: Fury Road" (in cinema's, Warner Bros.)
    --> #21: "Spy" (in cinema's, 20th Century Fox)
    --> #22: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (in cinema's, Warner Bros.)
    --> #23: "The Man From UNCLE" (August 14th 2015, Warner Bros.)
    --> #32: "The Hateful Eight" (January 8th 2016, Weinstein)
    --> #34: "Marvel's The Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (in cinema's, Disney/Marvel)
    --> #35: "Pixels" (July 24th 2015, Sony Pictures)
    --> #36: "Marvel's Captain America 3: Civil War" (May 6th 2016, Disney/Marvel)
    --> #47: "Furious 7" (in cinema's, Universal)
    --> #55: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" (July 31st 2015, Paramount)
    --> outside TOP 60: "James Bond 24: SPECTRE" (November 6th 2015, Sony Pictures/MGM/EON)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    After seeing the trailer, does anyone have an update on the speculative BO of Spectre? How is it looking compared with the other films of the year (I have not seen anything this year)? Could it do 1.4-1.5 billion?
    w2bond wrote: »
    After seeing the trailer, does anyone have an update on the speculative BO of Spectre? How is it looking compared with the other films of the year (I have not seen anything this year)? Could it do 1.4-1.5 billion?

That's a little steep imho.

SP looks more mature than the fare that's pulling in those kind of #'s (FF7, Ultron, JW), and I'm ok with that. I'd rather it be more mature and still pull in decent business. It's the kind of crowd (demography and literacy) it attracts which is important imho, along with the overall box office, because that will determine what direction EON and the studio go with James Bond.

My estimate is still around the $900m to $1bn mark overall when it's all said and done, although I'm sure the consensus on here is for more.
    bondjames wrote: »

SP looks more mature than the fare that's pulling in those kind of #'s (FF7, Ultron, JW), and I'm ok with that. I'd rather it be more mature and still pull in decent business. It's the kind of crowd (demography and literacy) it attracts which is important imho, along with the overall box office, because that will determine what direction EON and the studio go with James Bond.

My estimate is still around the $900m to $1bn mark overall when it's all said and done, although I'm sure the consensus on here is for more.

True...I'm just being an overly optimistic fanboy after that SPECTREcular trailer :)

True...I'm just being an overly optimistic fanboy after that SPECTREcular trailer :)

.....and there's nothing wrong with that. It's an amazing trailer. Seydoux in particular is worth the IMAX ticket price alone. Quite a stunning woman, if I may say so.

.....and there's nothing wrong with that. It's an amazing trailer. Seydoux in particular is worth the IMAX ticket price alone. Quite a stunning woman, if I may say so.

Worth many imax tickets.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Worth many imax tickets.

Is IMAX worth the ticket price and the drive if it's a few hours away? I saw some skydiving documentary in IMAX on a school trip in seventh or eighth grade, and while I remember it being unique, I'm not sure if a trip to see a movie is worth it as well, as my memory is a little fuzzy.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Spectre has been filmed using the new ARI 6K Camera's and on Imax it will be epic. I think it will get a really long run at the cinema, but opening weekend is the key to that. it has to start strong, and then press and word of mouth do the rest.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Worth many imax tickets.

Is IMAX worth the ticket price and the drive if it's a few hours away? I saw some skydiving documentary in IMAX on a school trip in seventh or eighth grade, and while I remember it being unique, I'm not sure if a trip to see a movie is worth it as well, as my memory is a little fuzzy.

The point is Spectre may be worth a 2nd cinema watch :) At $30AU=22US=14 pounds an imax ticket, I won't be rushing to IMAX to rewatch it.

And at $20AU for a regular ticket, Spectre would have to be the best Bond ever to rewatch it many times at the cinema
    $22 for a ticket? Damn. I could see the film four or five times at a regular cinema for that price.
  • RC7RC7
    $22 for a ticket? Damn. I could see the film four or five times at a regular cinema for that price.

Just shy of $30 to see a film at the BFI IMAX in London.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I have a cineworld card. Monthly subscription of £16 something.....unlimited viewing of any movie.
    I'm pretty certain "SPECTRE" is still en route towards the $1.2 Billion dollar worldwide. Especially since the trailer came out, I have a feeling it will happen. $1.2 Billion would also be a nice improvement on SF. $1.4 Billion however?? I find that a bit too much at this stage. Though never say never. Look to "Avengers 2". It didn't get raving reviews, but planet Earth loved it...: Almost $1.4 Billion now.
    Ehh, 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' was riding off the massive success of the first film, along with the standalone superhero films, so great reviews or poor word of mouth, it was going to make a stupid amount of money either way.
    From the film footage I have seen so far, Spectre will surpass the Billion mark for sure!
  • RC7RC7
    Ehh, 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' was riding off the massive success of the first film, along with the standalone superhero films, so great reviews or poor word of mouth, it was going to make a stupid amount of money either way.

I think that's what he meant. SP is riding off the success of SF.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    That's funny Tom Cruise has a dalliance with Scientology, I always wondered what he was doing with that cult but now I know, it was some casual relationship almost romantic, isn't that nice.

Ehh, 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' was riding off the massive success of the first film,

Ehh, sorry, but "Skyfall" was an insane success back in 2012 as well. Actually, with inflation correction more comparable to "Avengers 2"
  • SPECTRE is certainly going to join the billion dollar club. Of all the films this year to get to that milestone I am still baffled by FF7....
    edited July 2015 Posts: 40,457
    Ehh, 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' was riding off the massive success of the first film,

Ehh, sorry, but "Skyfall" was an insane success back in 2012 as well. Actually, with inflation correction more comparable to "Avengers 2"

Okay, and I never said it wasn't. But, one Bond film released three years ago isn't as large of a talking point and isn't as vivid in the minds of the general movie-going audiences as these big superhero movies are, which are generally released every couple of months. That's how I see it, anyway.

All I was attempting to say was that 'Age of Ultron' got mediocre reviews and still made a hefty amount of money, mainly because of how big 'The Avengers' was.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119

Okay, and I never said it wasn't. But, one Bond film released three years ago isn't as large of a talking point and isn't as vivid in the minds of the general movie-going audiences as these big superhero movies are, which are generally released every couple of months. That's how I see it, anyway.

All I was attempting to say was that 'Age of Ultron' got mediocre reviews and still made a hefty amount of money, mainly because of how big 'The Avengers' was.

"The Dark Knight Rises" was released four years after "The Dark Knight". This sequel (2012) was helped tremendously by the critically acclaimed "The Dark Knight" (2008): "TDK": $1.0 Billion, "TDKR": almost $1.1 Billion.

By the way, not all Marvel films are insane successes. I personally think the first "Iron Man" film, as a film, was better than "Quantum Of Solace". Both movies were released in 2008. But "Iron Man" could not get past the $600 Million globally.

Same with "Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier" (2014). It got raving reviews. The most spy-esque Marvel-film. Had an insanely gripping car chase in Washington DC. But it did not pass the $750 Million.

So it's not as if all critically acclaimed Marvel films are in the 1 Billion Dollar club. But it does help if a sequel-film is as critically acclaimed as its predecessor. And that advantage should "SPECTRE" have, taking into account "Skyfall".
    I never said critically acclaimed Marvel films are in the $1 billion club, either. 'Iron Man' was the first film in the trilogy and was definitely a gamble that could've gone either way.

'The Winter Soldier' just about doubled the box office for 'The First Avenger,' which is a very rewarding success, I would say.

Again, I'm not singling out anything other than 'The Avengers,' because it was such a massive success at the box office at the time. Its release, its final box office total, and all of the hype and praise behind that was inevitably going to lead to a sequel that made just as much, good or bad reviews.
  • x007AceOfSpadesx007AceOfSpades Sunny Southern California
    I can see this doing around $800-$950Million at most, part of that has to do with Star Wars coming out six weeks later (though of course Spectre will have the six week head start.) Of course my initial prediction for Skyfall was no more that $750Million, and I was blown away when it made a billion dollars, so anything is possible.
    I think Spectre will top Skyfall.

2015 has shown how quick movies can make a billion (Fast 7 and Jurassic World)