'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited June 2015 Posts: 5,080
    I decided to rewatch "Deep Breath" after a disappointing first viewing, and it has gone up slightly in my estimation. I thought it's story was pretty solid this time round, and I particularly like the macabre elements. But it still has problems- The T-Rex (they really need to know their limits when it comes to CGI. Compare the T-Rex to the lupine wavelength in "Tooth and Claw" back in 2006, for example) and it confirmed to me that Moffat had become some what of a one trick pony as of late, with his "trademark" gimmick that I think has been done to death now (we would get another gimmick later on, also, with the "don't think" business in Time Heist). Oh, and The Paternoster Gang. Where the humour was turned to the eleven, which I don't feel bodes well with 12th Doctor.

I don't think it's the weakest episode of series 8, though. That distinction would be "In the Forest of the Night", which is the pits. Especially considering that it came in a fantastic run of episodes in the latter of series of 8.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Rachel Talalay, who directed last seasons finale, is back to helm this seasons two part finale.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/07/rachel-talalay-010715102008.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed&m=1
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Could they be Special Editions of 'The Web Of Fear' & 'Enemy of The World'? :-?
    Hope so. I'd buy them again. Patrick Troughton is my favourite Dr. And I love Victoria, would love to see Web completed with an animated 3rd episode. Probably won't happen though.
    Currently working my way through my DVD collection - just about to view Vengeance on Varos Special Edition.
    TRAILER ALERT!

:-O
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 13,350
    It's very atmospheric. Coming off of what I thought was one of the best series of Doctor Who ever, I can't wait to see what's in store later this year.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Looks great, I can't wait. :)
    edited July 2015 Posts: 5,080
    Looks amazing. I'm guessing Maisie Shepherd's character could be Jenny?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Looks great, I can't wait. :)

I agree. It sounds like they might be keeping the series 8 theme (unless it's use here is just for the trailer). B-)
    On the fence did not like last season, obvious the show is adopting a increasingly darker tone. I am not a fan upto this point of Capaldi, though I appreciate any show has got to evolve by trying new directions.
    ohfilms1 wrote: »
    TRAILER ALERT!

:-O

This as always looks excellent! Great to see Capaldi back in the Tardis!!!! \m/
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Great trailer. Looking forward to this very much. Be interested to see who Maisie Williams' character is....
    Doctor Who Comic Con 2015 Panel - Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman, Michelle Gomez, Steven Moffat

• edited July 2015 Posts: 591
    Erm... this is kind of off topic but I just made this episode poster for a fake first episode of Series 10 called 'Scary', with Ophelia Lovibond as Gaby, a new companion. Hope you like it :)

doctor_who_fanon___episode_one__scary_by_swannmadeleine-d93kl80.jpg
    I do agree, after seeing her in Elementary, that Ophelia could be a wonderful companion. Let's hope Moffat and the BBC listen to you.

Speaking of which, I'm preparing a Doctor Who themed week-end at the end of october : "Gypsy" at the savoy in London with Peter Davison (and Imelda Staunton and Lara Pulver), and the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff (where I will attend a concert by Judy Collins, one of my favourite singers since the Seventies).
  • doctor_who_fanon___episode_two__beauty_and_the_bea_by_swannmadeleine-d93qpck.jpg[/code]
    Meanwhile, in the real world, two spots on Pluto and Charon have been named after Doctor Who :

moviepilot.com/posts/3428454?lt_source=external,manual,manual,manual,manual

Does that mean that the chasm named after the Tardis is bigger on the inside ?
    Official BBC promo image for the new series :

11376278_434307510089657_653512120_n.jpg
    After a long time away, I recently rejoined Netflix, and I'm really
    Enjoying looking at all the older Dr Who episodes with Matt Smith and the
    Others. :D
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 12,837
    On the fence did not like last season, obvious the show is adopting a increasingly darker tone. I am not a fan upto this point of Capaldi, though I appreciate any show has got to evolve by trying new directions.

I think the problem isn't the darker tone (which I was excited for) but how they handled the darker tone. It felt like they couldn't decide. There were times when it seemed darker but then there were hangovers from the Matt Smith era which just felt jarring with the new direction (eg- the detectives). They made the doctor more of a bastard to the point where he was actually pretty unlikeable at times (I struggled to warm to him, I think to root for a darker character he needs to have charm and charisma to win the audience over a bit), but then there were still moments so cheesey it was cringey and poor attempts at comedy that have bogged the show down since day one. The muddled tone, along with what I felt was poor writing (the character of Danny and his relationship with Clara) and just weird choices on the part of the showrunners (why doesn't the doctor like soldiers anymore?) and a doctor I didn't warm to until the last few episodes, made series 8 disappointing for me.

What also annoyed me is that the events of the last Matt Smith episode were completely brushed over. He was stuck on that planet for a century. Think about it, 1000 years passed in that one episode, and he was 900 years old when Christopher Ecclestone was in the role. More time passed in that one episode than in nearly half a decades worth of episodes. The doctor spent more time on that planet than he did in his entire life up to David Tennant's death. He should hardly remember Clara, or the detectives, or anyone. He's lived a whole other life and that life had gone on longer for him than the entire show up to that point.

And then he goes to London has a little sleep, goes mental for an episode (as he normally does when a new actor takes over) but then carries on like nothing ever happened. Really? How can he even fly the TARDIS anymore? How does he remember who all his allies and all these planets at all? How has fighting this bitter never ending war seemingly not affected him in the slightest?

Just really sloppy imo.

I think the problem isn't the darker tone (which I was excited for) but how they handled the darker tone. It felt like they couldn't decide. There were times when it seemed darker but then there were hangovers from the Matt Smith era which just felt jarring with the new direction (eg- the detectives). They made the doctor more of a bastard to the point where he was actually pretty unlikeable at times (I struggled to warm to him, I think to root for a darker character he needs to have charm and charisma to win the audience over a bit), but then there were still moments so cheesey it was cringey and poor attempts at comedy that have bogged the show down since day one. The muddled tone, along with what I felt was poor writing (the character of Danny and his relationship with Clara) and just weird choices on the part of the showrunners (why doesn't the doctor like soldiers anymore?) and a doctor I didn't warm to until the last few episodes, made series 8 disappointing for me.

What also annoyed me is that the events of the last Matt Smith episode were completely brushed over. He was stuck on that planet for a century. Think about it, 1000 years passed in that one episode, and he was 900 years old when Christopher Ecclestone was in the role. More time passed in that one episode than in nearly half a decades worth of episodes. The doctor spent more time on that planet than he did in his entire life up to David Tennant's death. He should hardly remember Clara, or the detectives, or anyone. He's lived a whole other life and that life had gone on longer for him than the entire show up to that point.

And then he goes to London has a little sleep, goes mental for an episode (as he normally does when a new actor takes over) but then carries on like nothing ever happened. Really? How can he even fly the TARDIS anymore? How does he remember who all his allies and all these planets at all? How has fighting this bitter never ending war seemingly not affected him in the slightest?

Just really sloppy imo.

You make some very good points, sloppy is when
    Matt Smith's Doctor phones Capaldi and Clara in Deep Breath this is when Smith is still relatively young in the town Christmas. At this juncture from Smith's point of view, that was his last life and had know idea the time lord's would give him more regenerations.
    Moffat I feel forgets or dismisses what he has written previously.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's best not to pay too much attention to the Doctors age, he was 953 years old at the beginning of his 7th life. Then 900 years old at the start of his 9th life. But the rest I agree with. It took a couple of episodes to settle down. I still think Flatline is a superb story, the best of the series, and one of my favourites in the shows history (Classic era included).

You make some very good points, sloppy is when
    Matt Smith's Doctor phones Capaldi and Clara in Deep Breath this is when Smith is still relatively young in the town Christmas. At this juncture from Smith's point of view, that was his last life and had know idea the time lord's would give him more regenerations.
    Moffat I feel forgets or dismisses what he has written previously.

No, that happens after he has wiped out the Daleks, but before he regenerates. You'll notice that in the Christmas episode, before entering the Tardis and meeting Eleven for the last time, Clara picks up the phone left hanging by the Doctor (scene that is repeated in "Deep Breath", BTW). He knows he's going to regenerate at that point, having used the energy to destroy the Daleks (while doing some air guitar as well

;) ).
  • It's best not to pay too much attention to the Doctors age, he was 953 years old at the beginning of his 7th life. Then 900 years old at the start of his 9th life. But the rest I agree with. It took a couple of episodes to settle down. I still think Flatline is a superb story, the best of the series, and one of my favourites in the shows history (Classic era included).

Fair enough the numbers are inconsistent but I think the problem still stands. More time passed in that one episode than in several decades of the show. He spent more time on that one planet than he did in as either William Hartnell-Christopher Eccleston or William Hartnell-Sylvester Mccoy. That's a big deal. Centuries past and he led a whole other life. But he carried on like it was just another adventure. All his allies, Clara included, should basically be complete strangers to him now. All these planets he apparently still knows should be completely alien to him now. That episode was a huge event that should've had a big impact on him. I didn't like how they just forgot about it all.
    After a long time away, I recently rejoined Netflix, and I'm really
    Enjoying looking at all the older Dr Who episodes with Matt Smith and the
    Others. :D

er…older Dr Who episodes mean Bill Hartnell or Pat Troughton to me!
    Everthing before Peter Capaldi, is old or perhaps classic would
    Be a better term ;) Some of the Matt Smith episodes I missed due
    To work.
    A new trailer for Series 9 will be put online this evening at 7 PM GMT.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/new-series-9-trailer-tonight-75263.htm
    Everthing before Peter Capaldi, is old or perhaps classic would
    Be a better term ;) Some of the Matt Smith episodes I missed due
    To work.

Classic would not be a better term. Classic Who refers to the original run. Can't really call any of the new stuff 'classic' yet - though there have been some good episodes.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,894
    The official stance is that Classic Who is everything from Hartnell to McGann, while Modern Who is from Eccleston to the current Doctor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/
    Gerard wrote: »
    A new trailer for Series 9 will be put online this evening at 7 PM GMT.

doctorwhotv.co.uk/new-series-9-trailer-tonight-75263.htm

Less than 20 minutes to go.
    Trailer's up:

Looks amazing! Those classic daleks! The supreme dalek! Zygons! Missy!

Everything's looks great, my only niggle is that horrible CGI dragon. Reminiscent, and not in a good way, of the Tyranosaur in Deep Breath.