'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    But according to that link, Moff doesn't want to it yet. From the article:

He said that while there has been tremendous interest (and pressure from BBCWW [BBC Worldwide]) to do a Dr Who film, the show runners feel very clear that they don’t want to do one at this moment.

I don't see why a theatrical film couldn't happen again. But if another film happens, I would prefer it to feature whichever Doctor is in the TARDIS at the time.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Well apparently the producers/higher ups have planned out the next eight years and a film is part of that. I don't think Moffat will be a part of it because I think we're definitely getting towards the end of his career as show runner now. He's been doing it for longer than Russel T Davies did so I think chances are he'll step down after this series. It's probably time for some new blood anyway to freshen things up a bit. I think he'll step down and Jenna Coleman will leave after this series and then for the next one we'll have a new showrunner and a new side kick.

I sort of wish he'd left with Matt Smith to be honest because now the next show runner is gonna be left writing for Capaldi's doctor, so there's not that much he can do differently, the character is already established. I think it'd be more interesting if the next show runner was given a completely clean slate in the same way Moffat was when he started.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I was thinking about this just recently, and what you've written is what went through my mind. I doubt Moff will stay around after series 9. Not only has he left his mark with hand picking Smith, but Capaldi too (I can't see him matching JNT's run of 3 Doctors*). I reckon Capaldi will return next year for series 10, with a new producer, then depart.

* 4 if we count Bakers last series.
    I agree apart from that last bit about Capaldi departing. Unlike Matt Smith and David Tennant, who hadn't done that much before accepting the role and have moved onto other big projects since, Capaldi has already had a really long career. He's won an Oscar, he's been in loads of TV shows, and his age means that he can't really move into a big film career afterwards like Matt Smith seems to be trying to do (although judging by the trailers I think he made a big mistake signing up for Terminator 5 and Lost River got really bad reviews as well), and there's no point in him moving on to be a high profile actor in other British shows like David Tennant did because Capaldi already was one before DW*. Plus it's his dream job, he's a proper fanboy. I'm sure at some point he'll decide he's done it long enough and will step down, he won't do it for too long, but I could see him staying on past series 10.

*The same was true of Christopher Eccleston but his experience filming the show was marked by on set issues which I think they fixed after he left.
    Don't get me wrong, if Capaldi wants to stay on beyond series 10, I will be all for that, I have enjoyed him thus far. I just cant see him sticking around for series 10, but I hope that he does. I felt robbed that Smith didn't make another series, especially with series 7, on the whole, being a big improvement over series 6.
    The announcement of Maisie Williams as a guest star in the series has inspired some wonderful art :

valar_reheneratis_by_angelsaquero-d8q6xu1.jpg

Nice, isn't it ?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Very nice indeed @Gerard =D>
    I have just listened to the free to subscriber download for The Defectors. Interesting idea. I was apprehensive about them pairing the 7th Doctor with Jo. Turned out fine, actually.

Also, I have heard the Howard Carter theme for the 7th Doctor Novel Adaptions. Me like, me like a lot. It gives you an idea of what Doctor Who could have been like, if it had continued into the 1990's, with a big brassy orchestral theme.
  • Any news about Springtime in Paris, Gerard ? I may end ordering it blindly, it's increibly hard to find inf on it
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    MajorDSmythe mentioned Big Finish so I wondered if I could mention a podcast I do? It's called Stories From The Vortex and, along with my co-hosts Mary and Robert, we take a look every couple of weeks at Big Finish's output. We primarily cover their Doctor Who output but we occasionally dip into their non-Who output including Blake's 7 (which we looked Liberator Chronicles Volume Five in our most recent episode), Sherlock Holmes and Survivors. Our website is here and we're on iTunes as well.

timdalton007
    @timdalton007 - I'm listening to you podcast on Death Comes To Time (a story I have been meaning to pick up). You have made more more curious to pick up this alternative ending for the 7th Doctor. As someone who favours the 7th Doctor over his predecessors and successors, I feel that I should have sought this one out earlier.
    Any news about Springtime in Paris, Gerard ? I may end ordering it blindly, it's incredibly hard to find inf on it

Sorry to have taken so long to answer your query. Well, according to my sources, the only footage showing Paris as it was at that time are the extracts from the story proper. No new footage, I'm afraid.

Speaking of Doctor Who and France, did you know there was one French actor who had played in a story ? It was in "The Moonbase", and his name is André Maranne, who's more well-known for his part as Sergeant François Chevalier, the long-suffering assistant of Clouseau and Dreyfus in six of the "Pink Panther" movies. Interesting, no ? Plus, that episode confirms that there's one language the Tardis translation circuit has trouble with : French.

Next : the mystery of Victoria Waterfield's undergarments.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 112

Really... That's all we get? If Disney XD is better at advertising Doctor Who than the BBC you know something's wrong.
    Wait, the TARDIS is in the new series? :-O

I know it's a teaser, but 10 seconds? There wasn't much point in watching it. I know no more about series 9 than I did a minute ago
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Saw this earlier on Twitter. As it's for BBC America I wouldn't get to see it. However, not much of a teaser is it?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, not even much of a tease. :(
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 12,837
    This happened last year, when they showed literally a second long shot of Capaldi standing still in the tardis and called it a teaser trailer. It's best not to trust the BBC with stuff like this, they're really bad at advertising/promoting the show (well shows in general actually), they also call the mini episodes they show on Youtube that lead into the main episodes prequels, which annoys me because that's not what a prequel is. For it to be a prequel, it would've had to be released after the episode.

Anyway, there's gonna be a Bond reference in the new series :D
    Doctor-Who-291172.jpg

I think this is going to be one of those things that sounds really cool on paper but will end up looking crap in the end, just look the skydiving bit in the series 8 finale. They really need to know their limitations with the budget because while the CGI has improved massively over the years it's still often pretty bad and nowhere near good enough to cover it up.
    In the immortal words of J Dubya Pepper, ' What the ...?'. :))
    Least excited I have been for decades about a new series of Doctor Who, season 8 I found disappointing.

Been watching Pertwee recently many episodes I had never seen before, Inferno was good. I enjoyed seeing the Master omnipresent for a extended period during the Pertwee era, Delgado hands down the best Master for me. Ainsley had misfortune of appearing in some relatively poor Who episodes in comparison, though Ainsley laughing at fresh air and his own shadow was often amusing.
    Least excited I have been for decades about a new series of Doctor Who, season 8 I found disappointing.

Been watching Pertwee recently many episodes I had never seen before, Inferno was good. I enjoyed seeing the Master omnipresent for a extended period during the Pertwee era, Delgado hands down the best Master for me. Ainsley had misfortune of appearing in some relatively poor Who episodes in comparison, though Ainsley laughing at fresh air and his own shadow was often amusing.

I though series 8 stumbled out of the gate with the less than stellar 'Deep Breath'. But over the course of the following episodes, the quality did improve, reaching a peak with the superb urban horror 'Flatline'. That said, I still think that Smith had, at the very least, another series in him.

I prefer Ainley as The Master, with Delgado a very close 2nd.

There as been a sort of update on the Underwater Menace DVD, following a petition to get it released, and it's not the update we wanted.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-worldwide-please-release-doctor-who-the-underwater-menace-on-dvd/u/11190408?tk=w5xc_zxreaSuMnPMBUhmzqd0u1JfYDiItA6qwaGA2NY&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email
    Annoying as it is to not have TUM released, BBC Worldwide posted this on Twitter:

"We're hoping to release more classic Doctor Who and we'll let you know when we have news."

I wonder what they mean... *Cough missing episodes cough*
    ;)
    Could they be Special Editions of 'The Web Of Fear' & 'Enemy of The World'? :-?
    I doubt that, considering those stories were released not to long ago.

I though series 8 stumbled out of the gate with the less than stellar 'Deep Breath'. But over the course of the following episodes, the quality did improve, reaching a peak with the superb urban horror 'Flatline'. That said, I still think that Smith had, at the very least, another series in him.

I wasn't a big fan of series 8 either. I thought it got off to a slow, disappointing start with Deep Breath and it didn't really recover until towards the end. It took me a long time to get used to Capaldi's doctor too. There were some good episodes towards the end of the series though, but overall, I thought it was one of the weaker seasons so far. Not as bad as series 6 but not as good as series 1, 5 or 7.

I think the first series is the best because while the budget was lower and the CGI was noticeably awful sometimes (especially compared to later seasons), the writing was at it's best there. I liked the way that it was very much grounded in reality, it sort of took a "what if the show was actually real?" approach and because of that there were some very clever ideas (conspiracy theorists obsessing over the doctor because of how he's photographed in different places at different times, he accidentally takes Rose home a year after she left so there's been a police investigation and her boyfriend became a murder suspect, Rose wanting to go and see her dad before he died, etc).

I think since then it's become more fantasy orientated and the doctor has become more of a focus. I think it worked better in the first series where the doctor was this mysterious figure, Rose was more the main character (because they needed an audience surrogate to introduce new audiences to the show) and the show felt like it was based more in the real world.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 5,815
    Meanwhile, at Big Finish :

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/river-song-more-set-for-big-finish-adventures-74417.htm

I won't buy them (I haven't the money, nor the sapce needed for the audios, so I stick with the DVDs for the time being), but still good news . Can "The Clara Chronicles" (What did the Impossible Girl do to help the various Doctors ?) and "The Ponds" (how did Amy and Rory manage to survive in 1930s New York ?) be far behind ?
    I do buy the audios, though only the McCoy audios. That, and not being a fan of River Song, make these an easy pass for me.
    My favorite Doctor meets River Song? Oh god yes, what a fantastic announcement! The Classic Doctors and New Monsters looks very interesting, as the Eighth Doctor story takes place at the beginning of the Time War. Imagine if they got Eccelston, Tennant, and Smith for the Churchill boxset.
    Just Watched Planet of the Daleks Was fun though silly at times, mainly because the daleks are very inept. The Pertwee serial is not too far removed from Hartnells The Daleks. Personally think the Thalls are overdue for a return.

@MajorDSmythe Regarding season 8 Flatline - Dark Water was a vast improvement, though Death in Heaven was a huge let down for me, I have so many issues with the episode and how some of characters were represented.