'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I don't know how to feel about it. It was, undeniably however, an explosive start to the series.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I felt a bit mixed as well.
    Anyone else spot the big beastie, aka The Special Weapons Dalek?

:D
    Indeed, MajorD!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm not sure either. I got a bit lost in the end (I admit I got a bit distracted and might have missed something important).
    Time flew by and before I knew "to be continued", looking forward to next week.

Great seeing good ole Tom once more in a current Who episode.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    An update on TUM DVD:

More Information Surfaces on "The Underwater Menace" DVD

Chris McAleer
    Dursley, United Kingdom
    18 Sep 2015 — The latest issue of the BBC's official Doctor Who Magazine hit shelves yesterday, containing an article confirming the upcoming release of "The Underwater Menace" DVD along with further details on the expected content.

Full details on the release can be found in the magazine itself, but we've provided a quick breakdown of information on the DVD's content below:

- Fully restored episodes 2 & 3
    - Telesnap reconstructions of episodes 1 & 4

- Interview Commentary for Episode 1, featuring Toby Hadoke interviewing Michael Troughton, son of the late Patrick Troughton
    - Cast & Crew Commentary for episodes 2 & 3, moderated by Toby Hadoke and featuring Frazer Hines (Jamie), Anneke Wills (Polly), Catherine Howe (Ara), sound technician Brian Hodgson and floor manager Quentin Mann
    - Interview Commentary for Episode 4, featuring excerpts of archival interviews with 2nd Doctor actor Patrick Troughton as well as directors Hugh David and Julia Smith
    - Production Information Subtitles for episodes 2 & 3

- "Fishy Tales", a documentary looking at the making of "The Underwater Menace"
    - "The Television Centre of the Universe: Part 2", the concluding part of the documentary about BBC Television Centre which began on "The Visitation: Special Edition" DVD. Featuring 5th Doctor actor Peter Davison with former companions Mark Strickson and Janet Fielding
    - Photo Gallery

The DVD will see release on 26th October 2015, priced £13.99, and is available to pre-order from the official BBC Shop as well as other retailers.

We'll continue to update you all on any further information which surfaces in the lead-up to the DVD's release!

---

I would have thought that there would have been more signatures on the petition. Doesn't matter now though, as we've got another Troughton story on the way. :-bd
    And with luck, it will be available when I go to Cardiff at the end of october.

Yes, I'm treating myself to a Who-themed week-end, even if it didn't start out like this. I wanted to see Judy Collins (a singer I've admired since the 70s, but never got the occasion of seeing live) in concert in Cardiff, but how could a Whovian pass the opportunity to visit the various places the series is filmed in, and of course the Doctor Who Experience ? And how could a Whovian fan of musicals (and Sherlock) pass the opportunity to see Gipsy, with Imelda Staunton, Peter Davison and Lara Pulver ? My wallet will be a long time recovering from it, but I think it will be worth it.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Last Night's Who - loved it, that 45 mins just flew by. Jenna looking gorgeous as always, and great to see Capaldi looking like Dylan and playing that axe! Great monster and can't wait for next week (hope it is as good). Still don't like what they've done to the theme tune though, just sounds so…weak.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Last night's opener was great. Capaldi, Coleman and Gomez excelled in a great story and what a great cliffhanger. The time just flew by and when "To Be Continued" came up on screen I couldn't believe time was up for this week. Great stuff, roll on next week...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, an exciting start, can't wait till next week. :)
    Great start to the new series! Talk about being frustrated when the credits rolled though!!! Gotta wait a WEEK!!!!! ~X(
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Season openers have often been throwaways, never understood why. This one however was truly excellent.
    "Doctor Who sees millions desert opening episode"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519

Disappointing. We'll have to wait for catch-up figures to get the full picture, but it could be the first episode of the revived era to drop below 6 million.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Season openers have often been throwaways, never understood why. This one however was truly excellent.

You have a point, there. Though I thought that The Eleventh Hour was one of Smith's best stories, far above the average for a debut story, as well as a series opener.

Disappointing. We'll have to wait for catch-up figures to get the full picture, but it could be the first episode of the revived era to drop below 6 million.

Dr Who seems destined to go up against X Factor which means fans of both are more likely to watch X Factor and catch up with Dr Who. The BBC won't concern themselves, as they make a ton of money worldwide with DW
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Dr Who seems destined to go up against X Factor which means fans of both are more likely to watch X Factor and catch up with Dr Who. The BBC won't concern themselves, as they make a ton of money worldwide with DW

I'd rather gouge my eyes out than watch the X-Factor (or Shite-Factor as I call it). Hopefully word of mouth will bring viewers back. Of course there is iPlayer and the Friday night repeat for those that missed out to catch up.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    @Lancaster007 wrote :
    " I'd rather gouge my eyes out than watch the X-Factor" :))
    I agree 100%, it's total crap. Even my kids haven't watched it
    in years.

I'd rather gouge my eyes out than watch the X-Factor (or Shite-Factor as I call it). Hopefully word of mouth will bring viewers back. Of course there is iPlayer and the Friday night repeat for those that missed out to catch up.

Well yes, I'm the same but 7.5 million people are lying when they also say that. So someone is watching the damned show, and it will hVe an effect on initial viewing figures for Dr Who.
    Little preview of "The Witch's Familiar" :

• edited September 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Just watched it, thought it was great, better than anything in the last series. Only thing that bugged me is the annoying habit the writers now seem to have of solving the problem of dead villains by just brushing off the fact that they died. They can be self referential and poke fun at it all they want, it's still bad/lazy writing and a bit of a piss take, if they want to keep bringing these villains back then they shouldn't kill them in the first place. Also the fact that he was about to shoot a child at the end is sort of undermined by the gun that looks like an egg whisk, sort of ruins the drama/tension imo :P Plus they've done the whole "the doctor is going to die" thing a few times now, it's getting kind of old. And we all know he isn't going to die really (and in this case he isn't even going to change actors, making it even more pointless) which makes it feel kind of irrelevant. I hope that isn't gonna be the big story arc this series.

I'm being picky though, it was really good, and I don't normally like the dalek episodes. Thought all the actors were brilliant and it was darker without feeling like it was being forced. I liked the whole morality issue he encountered, thought it was a great idea for an episode and it was executed really well.
    Yeah, I had to watch it a second time to really let my feelings cement. It won me over. Very good. Now that someone has mentioned it to me, I can't take "Colony Sarff" seriously anymore, what with a segway being underneath that robe!
    Gerard wrote: »
    Little preview of "The Witch's Familiar" :

Love Davros, so looking forward to saturdays show.
    I know that a lot of people here and elsewhere will call me a heretic and demand my burning at the stake (which will suit me, given the temp right now in my room), but I do think Missy (and Michelle Gomez) is the best incarnation of the Master ever (worst ? Easy : Eric Roberts). Loved the "20 feet" line.

In fact, I loved the whole episode. Agreat finale to the first two-parters of this season/series. I know it won't be the case (there are always a few duds in a given season), but I hope that the other episodes maintain this level of quality. Touch fingers, cross wood (or is that the other way around ?).
    Couldn't agree more. Loved it...
    edited September 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Ainley is my favourite. I don't like Missy, I think she's a pointless character when The Rani is ripe for dusting off. Moffat said he didn't want to use The Rani because she isn't well known. That isn't really a good enough excuse from the producer. He is in the position to make her known to a new generation.

However, I do love Michelle Gomez as Sue White in 'Green Wing'. She was by far the best character in that show. Watching her as Missy, I can kind of see her unique brand of lunacy creeping through.

^ Dr Statham, there, my 2nd favourite Green Wing character.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,151
    Watched the 2nd episode yesterday. Enjoyed the second part of the story. Good stuff.....

On another Doctor Who note isubscribed to the Doctor Who Complete History partworks. Received my first delivery over theweekend which consisted of the first three books (1 issue free), free travel mug and wallet. Further deliveries will include free Tardis bookends, free print and an audio drama on cd as well as 6 collected comic books. Look a good read, giving lots of details on each episode.

Hope you have enough space, Shark. Because it won't stop at 80 volumes, that's for sure (not if they include the future seasons, and, whiy not, the spin-offs). I have started it as well, but I use other means to get it (can't subscribe, because it's not an option for non-UK residents).

DW-The-Complete-History-1-4.jpg?resize=646%2C846
    Thats a shame not being able to subscribe. As for room, my wife always asks where ingoing to put stuff. I always manage to find space somewhere and, no doubt, I'll dp the same with these.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 112
    GIGANTIC Doctor Who news coming very very soon.
    Did they find tons of Missing Episodes? Announcing an Eighth Doctor miniseries? (PLEASE BBC!) What could it be?!?
  • DariusDarius UK

I couldn't agree more NicNac. The episode had far less of the bizarre surreality that often informs Steven Moffat's work. Things like lactating Sontaran nurses and Silurian/human lesbians. The only part that seemed a bit gratuitous was the Doctor making a grand entrance in 12th century England on a modern tank wielding an electric guitar that was making sound, but with no apparent amplification. I'm guessing that Peter Capaldi insisted that he wanted a scene with the Doctor playing the guitar, in much the same way that Matt Smith's Doctor was seen playing football.

In answer to your query as to why season openers are usually throwaways. My understanding a TV producer's mind is that the first episode is usually a scene-setter, or a prologue if you will, that offers a mere taste of the things to come, whilst being a self-contained story in its own right. However, this season of Dr Who has come with a downloadable mini-episode that attempts to do this for each episode individually, the belief being that we can now plunge straight into a rip roaring double-episode, such as these first two currently under discussion. I suppose that this is something of an experiment, not only to see whether this works dramatically, but also, I'm speculating, to see how popular it would be if the BBC ceased broadcasting and moved their service to the Internet (to allow pay per view) once the licence fee is abolished.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0326qkd

"The times they are a changin'"