Congratulations US of A, with fully legalizing gay marriage :-)!

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »
    You are making false equivalences @Perdogg. Same sex couples are not the same as incestuous couples.

And it speaks volumes about what you think of homosexuals. See, you'll be happy in Iran.

GFY. It says nothing.
    Perdogg wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It is very simple, the 14th amendment has nothing to do with marriage. It is that simple.
    It does, as applied here.

It applies if you want to make any idiotic belief into a constitutional right. Does the 14th amendment allow a father to marry his daughter? What about a mother to marry her son? Can sisters marry bothers? Can a man marry two women under the 14th amendment?

These are valid questions in my opinion.

However, I think in any culture these practices are considered unwholesome & unacceptable (except the last one perhaps in some muslim areas).

Gay marriage is increasingly being accepted everywhere, so I believe it's a different argument. The world is moving in this direction culturally. So to resist would be a backward move.

Hold on a second. We were told in the Per Curiam that people who were not allowed to marry were being denied "dignity". Why would want to deny a Father and his daughter their dignity by not allowing them to marry?

False equivalence. Two consenting adults of the same gender want to marry. That is not like incest. Especially when consent could seriously be questioned when it comes to father and daughter relationship.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    It is very simple, the 14th amendment has nothing to do with marriage. It is that simple.

It applies if you want to make any idiotic belief into a constitutional right. Does the 14th amendment allow a father to marry his daughter? What about a mother to marry her son? Can sisters marry bothers? Can a man marry two women under the 14th amendment?

However, I think in any culture these practices are considered unwholesome & unacceptable (except the last one perhaps in some muslim areas).

Gay marriage is increasingly being accepted everywhere, so I believe it's a different argument. The world is moving in this direction culturally. So to resist would be a backward move.

Hold on a second. We were told in the Per Curiam that people who were not allowed to marry were being denied "dignity". Why would want to deny a Father and his daughter their dignity by not allowing them to marry?

Again, it's a reasonable question. I just think we're culturally not ready (and never will be imho) to accept such a practice, which most people everywhere consider unsavoury.

I admit that the same was said of homosexuality many years ago, but we have changed culturally (the world has and is changing on this issue). I don't think the US wants to be left behind on this or be seen as backward, like it was on slavery.

From a strictly legal point of view/interpretation, you may have a point though.
    It is amazing that some people here think the 2A applies only to muskets, the 14th amendment applies to whatever you want to apply.

False equivalence. Two consenting adults of the same gender want to marry. That is not like incest. Especially when consent could seriously be questioned when it comes to father and daughter relationship.

Where is the false equivalence, a man 55 and his daughter 25 are both adults under the law. Therefore, under the 14th amendment they should allow to marry.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    RC7 wrote: »
    Good to see. Maybe they can sort their gun problem out now.

Believe it or not, many are suggesting yesterday's gay marriage decision may very well expand gun rights in the US.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 14,839

Where is the false equivalence, a man 55 and his daughter 25 are both adults under the law. Therefore, under the 14th amendment they should allow to marry.

She would have been raised by her would be husband. Consent can be seriously doubted in this instance.
    It is amazing that some people here think the 2A applies only to muskets, the 14th amendment applies to whatever you want to apply.

In both cases, something very important has to be taken into account when interpreting the Constitution: reality. When the constitution was written, it was ok to own slaves, nobody could have a private arsenal able to murder a dozen people in a matter of minutes, interracial relationships were considered against nature, etc. Now guns are bigger and more powerful, women have the right to vote and have the same jobs as men, Blacks are no longer slaves and can also vote and take whatever job they want, and homosexuals don't have to hide their sexual orientation, which is no longer illegal.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yeah, but, ummm, but...
    :)
    fad436e1-b3e2-4d06-8120-a0fa80c28dd5-620x372.jpeg
    0626evansharriskiss.JPG

Why can't people simple be happy for other people? Did gays abolish marriage for straight people?
    fad436e1-b3e2-4d06-8120-a0fa80c28dd5-620x372.jpeg
    0626evansharriskiss.JPG

Why can't people simple be happy for other people? Did gays abolish marriage for straight people?

Some people don't want to be happy about it because they don't want to pass as gay. Sorry for the terrible pun.

She would have been raised by her would be husband. Consent can be seriously doubted in this instance.

That is the silliest response I ever heard. Talking about gasping for straws.
    Talking about gasping for straws.
    I usually gasp for air.

That is the silliest response I ever heard. Talking about gasping for straws.

Therefore you dodge it. Just like you dodge telling us what is wrong about homosexuality that would make disqualifies homosexuals for marriage.
    @Gustav_Graves I am happy for them, but at the same time I do not believe in any kind of state recognized or religious marriage. If anything, the Supreme Court should have abolished the institution of officially recognized marriage completely, instead of extending it.

Also, are you aware of the fact that there are some gay people who are against gay marriage? Take this guy for example: https://twitter.com/nero
    Once she is over 18 she is legally able to make her own decisions, irrespective of who raised her. I think @Perdogg has a point about the legal constitutional aspects of allowing polygamy or incestuous unions, now that gay marriage has been accepted. It's the next logical step.

NY State recently allowed a union between a half uncle & niece.
    http://nypost.com/2014/10/29/new-york-state-blesses-incest-marriage-between-uncle-niece/

So the argument comes down to cultural/societal acceptance of such currently unusual activity (and we are some ways away from that) and/or genetic health arguments.

One cannot discount how important cultural acceptance is. I'm pretty sure that swayed the Supreme Court's hand in their decision yesterday. They wouldn't have decided in favour if the case was brought before them 10 years ago, for instance.
    @Gustav_Graves I am happy for them, but at the same time I do not believe in any kind of state recognized or religious marriage. If anything, the Supreme Court should have abolished the institution of officially recognized marriage completely, instead of extending it.

Also, are you aware of the fact that there are some gay people who are against gay marriage? Take this guy for example: https://twitter.com/nero

If the institution exists and as long as it exists it should be available to all.

@ bondjames- that she turns 18 would not change the fact that she was raised and educated by her would be husband. Again one can seriously doubt it is full, uncoerced consent.
    Two orphaned adult women marry, then find out they were sisters separated years ago... is the marriage valid?
    Two orphaned adult women marry, then find out they were sisters separated years ago... is the marriage valid?

good question. It's a bit of an exceptional case though.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this (I think it would fall under incest and therefore be currently disallowed) but constitutionally, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to stay married, as long as they consent/want to after having discovered their blood ties. Perhaps they should be asked to do it again to prove they want to after discovery of the link.

@Ludovico, I don't think it matters who raised her. There are other factors at play, including her financial independence etc. in determining if she is being coerced or not. Otherwise, one could say that every adult is being coerced by his/her parents into making decisions, especially if they continue to stay under the same roof. The law recognizes 18 as when one is no longer a minor as far as I know.
    good question. It's a bit of an exceptional case though.
    I was going for exceptional. ;)
    My answer would be yes. Why? Like Riggs' & Murtaugh's Captain said, I'm not gonna get a heart attack over this because I don't give a f**k. Go ahead, marry & be happy. As long as no one underage or mentally incapacitated gets hurt, go for it.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this (I think it would fall under incest and therefore be currently disallowed) but constitutionally, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to stay married, as long as they consent/want to after having discovered their blood ties. Perhaps they should be asked to do it again to prove they want to after discovery of the link.

@Ludovico, I don't think it matters who raised her. There are other factors at play, including her financial independence etc. in determining if she is being coerced or not. Otherwise, one could say that every adult is being coerced by his/her parents into making decisions, especially if they continue to stay under the same roof. The law recognizes 18 as when one is no longer a minor as far as I know.

Who raised her matters a lot. You know a woman when she was not sexualised, from when she was only a baby and you want to marry her when she is at an age to be sexually active? And you had authority over her all these years, and taught her about sexuality from a young age. That becomes central to determine consent.

And not only for this hypothetical incestuous father. When René Angelil married Céline Dion, whom he had known and trained since she was ten or so, some questions were legitimately raised (but only vaguely answered by the couple): when did they start having feelings for each other, when did he get turned on by her, when did he first touched her sexually, etc.? Paedophilia is a criminal act and should remain so.

Off topic, I know, but this is because incest and homosexuality are two intrinsically different things.

Who raised her matters a lot. You know a woman when she was not sexualised, from when she was only a baby and you want to marry her when she is at an age to be sexually active? And you had authority over her all these years, and taught her about sexuality from a young age. That becomes central to determine consent.

And not only for this hypothetical incestuous father. When René Angelil married Céline Dion, whom he had known and trained since she was ten or so, some questions were legitimately raised (but only vaguely answered by the couple): when did they start having feelings for each other, when did he get turned on by her, when did he first touched her sexually, etc.? Paedophilia is a criminal act and should remain so.

Off topic, I know, but this is because incest and homosexuality are two intrinsically different things.

I think Perdogg's point stands though. In terms of the Supreme Court's rationale yesterday for its decision, they are not two intrinsically different things -as the court's decision had to do with equality of rights.

I still disagree on the point about a daughter marrying a father after the age of consent. In some cultures, cousins marry, including historically in some kingdoms etc. They certainly knew each other before being sexually active, and in some cases there are large age gaps. Sometimes a father is not present, and someone else raises the child.....so I don't think it matters who raises the child. What matters is whether she is ready to make decisions for herself and is allowed to in law imho - and as long as is she is financially independent, emotionally independent, not acting under duress, and of sound mind, her decision should stand.

That's quite a different question from whether this should be allowed (which is primarily a cultural/societal and a genetic/health question - not a religious one imho since we have separation of church and state).
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    There's something to be said for the doctrine of parliamentary supremacy (and I think many of the supporters of Judicial Review forget that the Courts are a force against progress at least as often as for progress), but it speaks volumes that this decision is the one that causes perdogg to think democracy is dead, and not one of the more explicitly anti-democratic decisions, like Citizens United.

I think Perdogg's point stands though. In terms of the Supreme Court's rationale yesterday for its decision, they are not two intrinsically different things -as the court's decision had to do with equality of rights.

I still disagree on the point about a daughter marrying a father after the age of consent. In some cultures, cousins marry, including historically in some kingdoms etc. They certainly knew each other before being sexually active, and in some cases there are large age gaps. Sometimes a father is not present, and someone else raises the child.....so I don't think it matters who raises the child. What matters is whether she is ready to make decisions for herself and is allowed to in law imho - and as long as is she is financially independent, emotionally independent, not acting under duress, and of sound mind, her decision should stand.

That's quite a different question from whether this should be allowed (which is primarily a cultural/societal and a genetic/health question - not a religious one imho since we have separation of church and state).

We were talking about a father marrying his daughter whom had been under his authority from a very young age and as a prepubescent. Can we agree that this is not the same situation as two unrelated adults wanting to marry? Yes it's not culturally accepted. Because it raises a number of questions regarding the nature of their relationship. Regardless of inbreeding.

Not on the exact same tangent but maybe it is, I find it ironic that some conservatives are condemning gays as an abomination while they were more than ready to defend Josh Duggar, who sexually abused his own sisters and other prepubescent children and whose parents did everything so he could escape justice. I'm against legitimizing or excusing any sort of sexual predatorism. But finally legitimizing love between same sex couples I'm all for it. And that's what the Supreme Court decision was about.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How can incest between sisters be an issue? They cannot have any genetic offspring.
    Sark wrote: »
    There's something to be said for the doctrine of parliamentary supremacy (and I think many of the supporters of Judicial Review forget that the Courts are a force against progress at least as often as for progress), but it speaks volumes that this decision is the one that causes perdogg to think democracy is dead, and not one of the more explicitly anti-democratic decisions, like Citizens United.

I completely agree. Ideally I'd rather have gay marriage legalized by vote like it was in the U.K. and Canada. Or by referendum like in Ireland. But I'm this instance the Court took the right decision and also the one the people demanded.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So how does this part of the USA respond to this? :D

BibleBelt.png

We were talking about a father marrying his daughter whom had been under his authority from a very young age and as a prepubescent. Can we agree that this is not the same situation as two unrelated adults wanting to marry? Yes it's not culturally accepted. Because it raises a number of questions regarding the nature of their relationship. Regardless of inbreeding.

Not on the exact same tangent but maybe it is, I find it ironic that some conservatives are condemning gays as an abomination while they were more than ready to defend Josh Duggar, who sexually abused his own sisters and other prepubescent children and whose parents did everything so he could escape justice. I'm against legitimizing or excusing any sort of sexual predatorism. But finally legitimizing love between same sex couples I'm all for it. And that's what the Supreme Court decision was about.

@Perdogg has a point that the rationale which the Supreme Court used to allow gay marriage applies to these situations as well. There's no arguing around that. He brought it up to suggest/argue that gay marriage is an abomination that should not be allowed. I don't agree with that, but I agree with his point that legally based on the constitutional rationale, there is no difference.

If a daughter and father, or brother and sister for that matter, are consenting adults, in love, and want to marry, then they should, based on the legal rationale the Supreme Court used to allow gay marriage. This is not automatically a case of sexual/emotional abuse etc.....that is a separate argument that must be made on a case by case basis. Once someone is an adult, the law says they can make their own decisions, whether those decisions are bad (from a religious/moral, societal or health point of view) for them or not.

The only argument that can be used against such behaviour, is that it is unhealthy and not culturally acceptable (interestingly, this was the argument used against homosexuality years ago).

I don't think there is an incestual argument against two sisters marrying, as long as artificial insemination from either of them to either of them for offspring is not allowed.

On the point about whether the Supreme Court should get involved to pass such decisions vs. Parliament or elected officials........I'm not sure whether I agree on the superiority of elected officials making judgments. The Court is supposed to rationally review an issue and pass judgments based on the legal merits in accordance with the Constitution. It is not supposed to be politically motivated, in theory. In fact, it unfortunately is. Regardless, I think I would prefer this more objective/legal basis for making changes of this magnitude over a bunch of politicians pandering to public opinion, which can change, be emotional, and be influenced by fear/political strategy (witness the Scotland secession vote).

On the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision, as I said a few pages back, in my opinion this was a travesty, as it essentially injected more corporate money into US politics, and ensured that US democracy became more of a shambles (all but ensuring Bush vs. Clinton in 2016). However, the Court had a constitutional rationale for its decision. If the American populace does not agree with this decision (and in my opinion they shouldn't), then they should demand a constitutional amendment be passed to restrict it via a referendum imho.
    Regarding the Supreme Court power versus elective one, there is no ideal solution or clear answer. Democracy is by no mean meant to be perfect. But judging by the decision on its merit the Court in this instance did the right thing.

And I still say you can't equivocate incest with homosexuality. Which is what Perdogg was doing. And this court decision was not about incest or man boy love or what have you.