Congratulations US of A, with fully legalizing gay marriage :-)!

The unbelievable has happened today. The US Supreme Court has now fully legalized marriage for all genders in the country. The USA therefore becomes the officially the 18th country to legalize gay marriage. Next countries are: Ireland, Finland and Slovenia. Those countries already approved of it, but the laws making gay marriage possible still need to be created there.
863px-World_marriage-equality_laws.svg.png

You can read more in the recently published New York Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Good to see. Maybe they can sort their gun problem out now.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Good to see. Maybe they can sort their gun problem out now.

Progressive change always comes slow. It sometimes takes years, decades, hell, even centuries to make it happen. But the day when something like that happens, it should foremost be celebrated :-).

This is wonderful news! There have been a few days in the recent past when it's been difficult to say that I'm proud to be an American, but this day certainly isn't one of them :)
    This is wonderful news! There have been a few days in the recent past when it's been difficult to say that I'm proud to be an American, but this day certainly isn't one of them :)

And you're the 18th country! Even earlier than Germany, Italy, Finland and Austria :-D! There's this progressive way going on in the USA. Even Affordable Healtcare has been ruled positively yesterday by the Supreme Court.
    This is obviously good news, but I never understood why anyone would want to get married... Also, will Americans now turn their attention to other important issues, like income inequality and campaign finance reform?
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Ireland had a very well publicised public referendum on it last month, which was overwhelmingly passed.

Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Ireland had a very well publicised public referendum on it last month, which was overwhelmingly passed.

True, but it isn't law just yet in Ireland. In USA it has become law of the land earlier.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Aye, fair point. Sadly here in Northern Ireland we are stuck in the dark ages thanks to the sole veto of one political party filled with Bible-bashing creationist dinosaurs. They can't hold out forever, though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I never would have thought it could happen here.... gives me a glimmer of hope for other important issues we face...
    Great news indeed! Well done USA! =D>
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well that's good news. One of my first cousins is a lesbian (ostracized by her old fashioned parents from California when she came out). She moved to New York and got married 3 yrs ago.

My sister, brother-in-law and I were the only family members from her side to attend the wedding (she was really happy we made it). I'm glad I went, and I'm glad the supreme court has done something positive today.
    Fantastic news! :D But I pressume it is still illegal in many states, or will that change now? How strong of an influence does the supreme court have on separate state governments?
    It's the law of the land now.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Pretty incredible the turnout in public opinion in 11 years. dozens of states passed anti-gay marriage laws by huge majorities in 2004.
    This is obviously good news, but I never understood why anyone would want to get married... Also, will Americans now turn their attention to other important issues, like income inequality and campaign finance reform?
    I pretty much agree with you. I never understood the desire and rush to get married so fast when a ton of marriages end in divorce and wind up costing you serious money in the end. Personally I don't think the government should be involved at all in the issue of marriage and it should never have been such a big battle for gay/lesbian marriages. Just because someone disagrees with an issue doesn't mean they have the right to take away another person's rights to marry if they wish to do so. This was a slam dunk anyways it was just a matter of time in the courts.

The real winner out of this situation will be the lawyers and the courts. They are licking their chops.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Anything that gives more rights to people can only be a good thing. =D>
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Yes, @jobo , that's what makes this significant. Once a court decision is made, all states must abide.

That's great! =D>

But I guess many priests and republicans will have plenty to say about it! ;))

Marriage equality is equality in the law, I find it an important issue. This is no small victory.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Ludovico wrote: »

Marriage equality is equality in the law, I find it an important issue. This is no small victory.

It's about rights. Human rights. A quest that has been going on since the 16th century. First when certain people got tired of authocratic kings who were parasiting on them for taxes. Or later, when Americans wanted to free themselves from the British oppressor. Later when women wanted to have voting rights as well. Then in the 1960's when black people wanted to put an end to segregation, which Kennedy and Johnson helped to achieve. And now, when full marriage equality is the thing certain people were fighting for.

So I call it a very very big thing what happened in the USA. And don't forget, when the rainbow flag gets raised, another flag is being put down. The Confederation flag. This all makes me happy and makes me feel privileged to live in an enlightened, free, democratic society. Human rights are very very important.

Just look at countries like Russia. And again, you should feel even more privileged we have marriage equality now. In The Netherlands (first country), now in the USA (18th country), hopefully Germany, Austria, Italy and Australia will follow soon. And I'm longing for the day when the entire planet gives a damn about marriage equality.....about human rights.

Not in my lifetime. But perhaps in 2115? 2155?
    This all makes me happy and makes me feel privileged to live in an enlightened, free, democratic society.

Do you live in the United States? Or by free, democratic society do you mean "the Western world" perhaps? As for democratic, the United States has a long way to go before it can be called a democratic state.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I assume he means the democratic west.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I have trouble calling the west "enlightened". For the most part, it's far from "enlightened", although it has more freedoms for sure. Also, the west is not a uniform monolith. Those in parts of Europe are far more open minded than some in the 'New World' on the other side of the Atlantic.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    This all makes me happy and makes me feel privileged to live in an enlightened, free, democratic society.

Do you live in the United States? Or by free, democratic society do you mean "the Western world" perhaps? As for democratic, the United States has a long way to go before it can be called a democratic state.

So, name a few states that are "better" in that sense then. And also a few that are "worse" in that sense. There are 196 countries on Earth you know. I am from The Netherlands, but I live in Spain. I try to think like this: Although the USA still has a long way to go, I can sum up like 140 countries in which you would be worse off than the USA.

9dbPu0.jpg
    06BxaX.jpg

It's far more democratic and free today than it was yesterday.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Of course the USA is one of the best countries to live in, and one of the least undemocratic countries on Earth. All I am saying is that it isn't democratic. Not when there is a pretty good chance that the next presidential election will be a contest between a Bush and a Clinton.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K9dS9wl7U
    Of course the USA is one of the best countries to live in, and one of the least undemocratic countries on Earth. All I am saying is that it isn't democratic. Not when there is a pretty good chance that the next presidential election will be a contest between a Bush and a Clinton.

Good point. It's the country where 'capitalism' is at its most advanced and most rampant.....and elections are increasingly 'bought' courtesy, ironically, of an idiotic "Supreme Court" decision which said that Corporations essentially have the same rights as citizens when it comes to campaign contributions!

I have had many discussions with those who instinctively confuse capitalism with democracy. A mistake imho.

what he said a while ago as a candidate, either because he believed it or because he did not want to lose votes has no bearing about now. He was darn right yesterday in his speech.
    bondjames wrote: »

Good point. It's the country where 'capitalism' is at its most advanced and most rampant.....and elections are increasingly 'bought' courtesy, ironically, of an idiotic "Supreme Court" decision which said that Corporations essentially have the same rights as citizens when it comes to campaign contributions!

I have had many discussions with those who instinctively confuse capitalism with democracy. A mistake imho.

That could be true, but still, the end decision lies with the people. That's a fact. If YOU are smart, if YOU don't let yourself influence by those corporate bastards, and YOU eventually vote for the person whose values you hold up high most, then your vote counts.

Look, I'm a person who holds up my democratic right to vote very very high. I don't listen to rich capitalists like Donald Trump, and I don't give a damn about politicians who 'buy votes'. The fact is, that WE can 'punish' such basterds on election day. But we don't do it too much. You know why? Because we don't educate ourselves enough. We don't read too many books about ideas and ideals anymore. People let themselves influence TOO much by the media.

You can be more powerful than you think, as long as you first point your finger too yourself. Ask yourself first what YOU can do for society. If you loathe about those "corporate basterds", then VOTE for someone else. It's as simple as that.

That's the fact about democracy. A system that you won't have in a country like Russia or Venezuela.
    bondjames wrote: »

That could be true, but still, the end decision lies with the people. That's a fact. If YOU are smart, if YOU don't let yourself influence by those corporate bastards, and YOU eventually vote for the person whose values you hold up high most, then your vote counts.

Look, I'm a person who holds up my democratic right to vote very very high. I don't listen to rich capitalists like Donald Trump, and I don't give a damn about politicians who 'buy votes'. The fact is, that WE can 'punish' such basterds on election day. But we don't do it too much. You know why? Because we don't educate ourselves enough. We don't read too many books about ideas and ideals anymore. People let themselves influence TOO much by the media.

You can be more powerful than you think, as long as you first point your finger too yourself. Ask yourself first what YOU can do for society. If you loathe about those "corporate basterds", then VOTE for someone else. It's as simple as that.

That's the fact about democracy. A system that you won't have in a country like Russia or Venezuela.

You have a point. Despite all efforts by the "Supreme Court" (election year 2000) and Corporations, Americans, more often than not, vote with their hearts and tend to elect the person who is most 'genuine'. I give them that.

Even in 2000, when the election was somewhat stolen due to Ralph Nader taking away democratic votes, and the Supreme Court stopping the counting process, I would say Bush was a more genuine (in his skin) person than the air brushed robot that is Al Gore (witness that cringeworthy manufactured kiss of Tipper at the convention........yuck).

So I do respect that fact.
    Bush was genuine. A genuine idiot. Cheney pulled his strings.