Congratulations US of A, with fully legalizing gay marriage :-)!

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Bush was genuine. A genuine idiot. Cheney pulled his strings.
    Totally agreed. Not the brightest spark.

However, he appeared more genuine & real than both Gore and Kerry, who came across as trying too hard. Same goes for Romney, who was another panderer.

Even though I can't stand his policies more than most, I don't think he's a bad man. Just not very bright, and yes, he surrounded himself with some loons like Rumsfeld, Cheney & Wolfowitz, not to mention Condy.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @bondjames we are on the same page here.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So sad that Wint and Kidd did not live to see this day.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    So sad that Wint and Kidd did not live to see this day.

:))
    6271627003_6faa8acc49_z.jpg

Well, as far as I'm concerned, they are all gay :-P

no_deals__mr_bond_by_seele_02-d3dlsg5.jpg
    Largo was definitely heterosexual. Blofeld I think might have been asexual.
    Fraulein Irma Bunt. The big scarecrow in Bond's bed :-P.
    Of all the gay male villains of the Bond movies, I find Silva far more menacing and creepy than Wint and Kidd. They just wanted to kill Bond. Silva caressed his legs!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Who is between Carver and Electra King?
    Who is between Carver and Electra King?

Renard.
    The unbelievable has happened today. The US Supreme Court has now fully legalized marriage for all genders in the country. The USA therefore becomes the officially the 18th country to legalize gay marriage. Next countries are: Ireland, Finland and Slovenia. Those countries already approved of it, but the laws making gay marriage possible still need to be created there.
    863px-World_marriage-equality_laws.svg.png

You can read more in the recently published New York Times article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Democracy is dead in the US.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perdogg wrote: »
    The unbelievable has happened today. The US Supreme Court has now fully legalized marriage for all genders in the country. The USA therefore becomes the officially the 18th country to legalize gay marriage. Next countries are: Ireland, Finland and Slovenia. Those countries already approved of it, but the laws making gay marriage possible still need to be created there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Money talks instead, but that has always been the case in US politics.
    Some fundies threatened to move to Canada... apparently not knowing same sex marriage is already legal there. They should try Iran.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 686
    Dragonpol wrote: »

You can argue whether or not homosexual marriage should be legal, but leave it up the people of the states, not to 5 unelected people who use less than scholarly and bogus constitutional arguments to rewrite the laws.

If homosexuals can marry, why not a father and daughter or Mother and Son, or a woman and her cat? If their 14 amendment rights to be happy are being denied, they when not let them marry.
    This is obviously good news, but I never understood why anyone would want to get married... Also, will Americans now turn their attention to other important issues, like income inequality and campaign finance reform?

No now come the decades of businesses and churches refusing a gay couple's business and the following lawsuits. Hold tight.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Some fundies threatened to move to Canada... apparently not knowing same sex marriage is already legal there. They should try Iran.

Apparently, Iran has the same disregard for a Constitution as some people on this board.

Apparently, Iran has the same disregard for a Constitution as some people on this board.

The American constitution is outdated. The whole thing should be thrown out and a completely new one should be written... but only after the end of the two-party system.
    In what way, specifically? This all seems perfectly 'legal' and by the books to me. Many decisions are made that I don't agree with all the time, yet I never scream "Unconstitutional!" every time one is made... just sayin'.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2015 Posts: 17,813
    Dragonpol wrote: »

You can argue whether or not homosexual marriage should be legal, but leave it up the people of the states, not to 5 unelected people who use less than scholarly and bogus constitutional arguments to rewrite the laws.

If homosexuals can marry, why not a father and daughter or Mother and Son, or a woman and her cat? If their 14 amendment rights to be happy are being denied, they when not let them marry.

I agree that this is too important an issue to be decided in a blanket nature by a supreme court - move to the UK where Parliament is sovereign over the courts. In England, legislation was introduced by the elected House of Commons to legalise gay marriage, not by unelected proactive judges. That is the different between the UK and the so-called "land of the free". Give me the UK any day.

You'd like it: homosexuality is illegal.

GFY. You don't know my views on homosexuality.
    In what way, specifically? This all seems perfectly 'legal' and by the books to me. Many decisions are made that I don't agree with all the time, yet I never scream "Unconstitutional!" every time one is made... just sayin'.

Doesn't the Supreme Court supersede state laws? I thought that was its purpose. What's unconstitutional about yesterday's decision exactly?
    bondjames wrote: »

Doesn't the Supreme Court supersede state laws? I thought that was its purpose. What's unconstitutional about yesterday's decision exactly?

No, the US Constitution supersedes State Law over Federal issues. In fact, the US Congress can limit the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court. The US is a nation of States. 14 amendment is always used by liberal court activists to invent a 'right' whenever they wan.

No, the US Constitution supersedes State Law over Federal issues. In fact, the US Congress can limit the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court. The US is a nation of States. 14 amendment is always used by liberal court activists to invent a 'right' whenever they wan.

My understanding is that the 14th Amendment (and in particular Section 1 about equal rights for all) came into effect after the civil war, which began due to the issue of slavery (which was an obvious violation of equal rights). It's my understanding also that the 14th Amendment is a part of the US Constitution as it currently stands, and therefore is the law of the land, signed onto by all states.

So again, I don't understand what's wrong with yesterday's decision, which says that preventing gay marriage is a violation of the 14th Amendment (which is part of the Constitution). I would think that preventing gay marriage is a violation of equal rights.

My understanding is that the 14th Amendment (and in particular Section 1 about equal rights for all) came into effect after the civil war, which began due to the issue of slavery (which was an obvious violation of equal rights). It's my understanding also that the 14th Amendment is a part of the US Constitution as it currently stands, and therefore is the law of the land, signed onto by all states.

So again, I don't understand what's wrong with yesterday's decision, which says that preventing gay marriage is a violation of the 14th Amendment (which is part of the Constitution). I would think that preventing gay marriage is a violation of equal rights.

It is very simple, the 14th amendment has nothing to do with marriage. It is that simple.

GFY. You don't know my views on homosexuality.

Don't think I'm off the mark. But care to enlighten. Politely, if you have any manners.

I'm not a constitutionalist but that's how I understood it too.
    It is very simple, the 14th amendment has nothing to do with marriage. It is that simple.
    It does, as applied here.

It applies if you want to make any idiotic belief into a constitutional right. Does the 14th amendment allow a father to marry his daughter? What about a mother to marry her son? Can sisters marry bothers? Can a man marry two women under the 14th amendment?

It applies if you want to make any idiotic belief into a constitutional right. Does the 14th amendment allow a father to marry his daughter? What about a mother to marry her son? Can sisters marry bothers? Can a man marry two women under the 14th amendment?

These are valid questions in my opinion.

However, I think in any culture these practices are considered unwholesome & unacceptable (except the last one perhaps in some muslim areas).

Gay marriage is increasingly being accepted everywhere, so I believe it's a different argument. The world is moving in this direction culturally. So to resist would be a backward move.
    You are making false equivalences @Perdogg. Same sex couples are not the same as incestuous couples.

And it speaks volumes about what you think of homosexuals. See, you'll be happy in Iran.

These are valid questions in my opinion.

However, I think in any culture these practices are considered unwholesome & unacceptable (except the last one perhaps in some muslim areas).

Gay marriage is increasingly being accepted everywhere, so I believe it's a different argument. The world is moving in this direction culturally. So to resist would be a backward move.

Hold on a second. We were told in the Per Curiam that people who were not allowed to marry were being denied "dignity". Why would want to deny a Father and his daughter their dignity by not allowing them to marry?