The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    bondjames wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Just a reminder- Appreciation Only please. I know some people struggle to cope with this concept, but the intentions of the thread OP are clearly defined in the opening post (and title, for that matter).

Well, let's see... He's got nice hair? Why didn't L'Oreal ever sign him up..?
    8-|

I agree. He has good hair certainly.

There you go! See, plenty of appreciation for Brosnan's talents :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Has anyone seen Survivor yet? I have!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Is it good?
    Overall? Better than Average. But, Brosnan makes the entire film for me.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Found this Wogan interview with Mr Brosnan. Never seen it before.

edited June 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Ironically, I've been going through the Remington Steele seasons in the last few weeks. :D
    Sometimes I think would Brosnan have been happier had he not done Bond. I really feel sorry for the guy that his Bond movies after GE nose dived.
    Had Brosnan not been Bond, his acting career would have collapsed sooner than one would've seen it coming.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Ah, Terry Wogan. What a legend. Miss him.

Brozz really has a kind of Fonz thing going there with the gold watch, unbuttoned shirt, leather jacket and what not. Interestingly he seems quite natural in this interview - very much himself in it. When I see him in interviews since he got Bond including recent ones he comes across very self-conscious, as if he's acting in the interview - pulling his words and all. Strange, but that's just the impression I get.

He's really himself in this one and it's great to see him like that.
    One thing I've noticed about his interviews more recently: he'll often refer to a film he's working on as "the piece".
    Ah, Terry Wogan. What a legend. Miss him.

Brozz really has a kind of Fonz thing going there with the gold watch, unbuttoned shirt, leather jacket and what not. Interestingly he seems quite natural in this interview - very much himself in it. When I see him in interviews since he got Bond including recent ones he comes across very self-conscious, as if he's acting in the interview - pulling his words and all. Strange, but that's just the impression I get.

He's really himself in this one and it's great to see him like that.

100% agreed.

Taffin. Classic Brosnan!
    Speaking of Taffin, I heard the author of the original book the film was based on was upset with Brosnan's casting in the role. Is that true?
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661
    In that Wogan interview you see how fantastically handsome Pierce was back in his more youthful days. Personally, I think he was way more strikingly handsome and more charming than Carry Grant - who is arguably the most successful British actor to make it in Hollywood.

Brosnan (like Connery and Moore) were meant for roles like Bond but not really suited to acting as regular Joes. In a weird way it was an advantage and a disadvantage. When I see Brosnan not as Steele or Bond - playing other roles - it never feels quite right. It feels as if his natural charm isn't being used but I guess Brosnan wanted to do diverse roles to challenge him.

I think the tragic early death of his first wife took some of the light out of his soul. He did seem less joyful in interviews after her passing. Just the impression I got.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    In that Wogan interview you see how fantastically handsome Pierce was back in his more youthful days. Personally, I think he was way more strikingly handsome and more charming than Carry Grant - who is arguably the most successful British actor to make it in Hollywood.

Brosnan (like Connery and Moore) were meant for roles like Bond but not really suited to acting as regular Joes. In a weird way it was an advantage and a disadvantage. When I see Brosnan not as Steele or Bond - playing other roles - it never feels quite right. It feels as if his natural charm isn't being used but I guess Brosnan wanted to do diverse roles to challenge him.

I think the tragic early death of his first wife took some of the light out of his soul. He did seem less joyful in interviews after her passing. Just the impression I got.
    Not only that. His daughter Charlotte also died recently, the same way her mother did. And to top that off his Malibu home burnt down. I hope Pierce is hanging on, tight.
    Of the few fantastic roles he had, The Thomas Crown Affair really fitted him like glove, too. He was definitely a rogue there battling a rogue, in contrast to the more modest and classical Steve McQueen.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,965
    You all think that had everything worked out and Brosnan landed the role for The living Daylights would he have continued as Bond all the way until DAD?

Do you think Brosnan would have left the role during the 6 year gap like Dalton did?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    You all think that had everything worked out and Brosnan landed the role for The living Daylights would he have continued as Bond all the way until DAD?

Do you think Brosnan would have left the role during the 6 year gap like Dalton did?

This is speculation of course, but to answer your question, yes, I think Brosnan would have continued through all the way to DAD. I think TLD with Brosnan would have been very successful (he was the 'chosen one' in 1986) and I don't think EON would have made LTK (a commercial failure) in quite the same way with Brosnan. They would have made something lighter and more in the Moore vein. So the movie likely would have been more successful (critical in the highly competitive box office year that was 1989).

Also, Brosnan coveted Bond. He wanted it. Dalton not so much. Dalton was a reluctant Bond although he did the best he could and tried to shape it much more than Brosnan did. So I think Brosnan would have wanted to stay on even after the 6 yr break, and more importantly, MGM would have wanted him in 1995 because there really was no other choice at the time. In Dalton's case, Brosnan was always waiting in the wings, post-Remington, as the more commercially appealing choice.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

This is speculation of course, but to answer your question, yes, I think Brosnan would have continued through all the way to DAD. I think TLD with Brosnan would have been very successful (he was the 'chosen one' in 1986) and I don't think EON would have made LTK (a commercial failure) in quite the same way with Brosnan. They would have made something lighter and more in the Moore vein. So the movie likely would have been more successful (critical in the highly competitive box office year that was 1989).

Also, Brosnan coveted Bond. He wanted it. Dalton not so much. Dalton was a reluctant Bond although he did the best he could and tried to shape it much more than Brosnan did. So I think Brosnan would have wanted to stay on even after the 6 yr break, and more importantly, MGM would have wanted him in 1995 because there really was no other choice at the time. In Dalton's case, Brosnan was always waiting in the wings, post-Remington, as the more commercially appealing choice.

Very interesting.

Stupid question but you think had Brosnan had become Bond in 1987 there would even be a 6 year gap? or would they have been totally out of Eons control?
    @fjdinardo, I think really it would have been out of EON's control, since although Bond was a substantial portion of MGM's profits at the time, I don't think better commercial success with Brosnan (which was very likely) would have necessarily saved them from their financial difficulties.

What I know is that MGM had serious creative differences with EON around the time of LTK's production. They were not happy with Cubby's direction and wanted more bang for the buck. I don't think they were that enamored with Dalton either. My understanding is that this hurt the marketing efforts for the film in a very competitive year, almost sealing its doom.

Now, it is possible that if Brosnan were Bond at the time rather than Dalton, EON may in fact have continued with a creative direction more acceptable to MGM, and so MGM would have backed the movie more forcefully, but who knows.

I'm 100% sure however that if Brosnan were Bond, LTK would have been more commercially successful and a completely different picture than they ended up making. That likely wouldn't have saved MGM from their financial problems at that time, or failed merger attempts that followed etc. Keep in mind that during this time Broccoli also put Danjaq up for sale. So a gap was likely inevitable, but it might not have been 6 yrs long had LTK been more successful, which it probably would have been with Brosnan.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought Brosnan was great in " Survivor ", he has a few very nasty scenes.
    A mix of the 39 steps and day of the Jackal. Infact I think he looks better
    Now with a few years behind him.
    Brosnan was the greatest thing in Survivor. But the rest of the deal really falls down flat. As one of the reviews said, feels like a poorly executed B-Movie. But, that's just me, because I was expecting too much from it.
  • RC7RC7
    I hadn't seen this video before. I feel the same, although I've always loved him.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Looking at that video I automatically thought of Brosnan saying "Alec!?" at 0.33" :p

I'm too young to really remember Brosnan pre-Bond. However I think that, comparing him then to now, I'm with DrGromer in that I prefer the more fatherly Brosnan compared to the cocky, slightly awkward man he seemed to be back in the 80s
    I actually prefer the younger Pierce Brosnan. When I saw him as the Taipan Ian Dunross in James Clavell's Noble House I thought he was the coolest thing since sliced bread, and should have 007 next to his name. The consensus is also that GE (his earliest) was his best. I really think if he got Bond in 1986 he would have had a better run than he had getting it later:
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think you are probably right there @bondjames, and if he had been cast in TLD he would have piled a few pounds on PDQ as he did after GE.
    I thought it was interesting that I met British rockstar Paul Weller a couple of days ago, and asked him who his favorite James Bond was. His reply was Pierce Brosnan.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Nice to know he has some fans, as at times he seems to take a bit of
    a bashing.
    Well, the rather odd thing is, Pierce's fandom is made of females more than males, and most of the women love him only for his looks, and not for his acting skills or abilities. I've got to tell you, though, the amount of their numbers is quite large than you'd imagine.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Well, the rather odd thing is, Pierce's fandom is made of females more than males, and most of the women love him only for his looks, and not for his acting skills or abilities.

Do you have stats to back that up, or is it just an assumption?