What is your least favourite Moore 007 flick ?

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
For me it is LALD.

Moore doesn't seem to command the screen as he normally does in this and the ending leaves a lot to be desired.

A lot of build up but in the end Kananga,Tee Hee and Baron Samedi were a bit of a let down in the big climax.

Comments

• I love LALD actually..least favorite and only Moore movie I don't like is AVTAK. It's just tired, out of energy, dull and a rehash. Love the rest..
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    AVTAK is a bit of a sleeping pill... Don't really like TMWTGG either.

Golden Gun easily. Moore is ok as Bond but too much of a Connery throwback and I'm not sure if this style suits him. Also, we get a rather dull central story and a film which just feels rather stale.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Again, I'd say The Man With Golden Gun, A View To A Kill or on a really bad day The Spy Who Loved Me.
    Live and Let Die by far. At least his other 6 films are fun on some level or another.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Though TMWTGG is weak and AVTAK is terrible, my least favourite Moore Bond has to be LALD. The actors and sets are all below par and the locations despite being fairly exotic all look dull and ugly. The film is far too episodic with a fairly unexciting plot, the action sequences are generally either badly done (New York car crash, Bus chase, train fight) or just plain boring (the very, very long bayou speedboat chase) and add a pre title sequence with neither action nor Bond and you have a poor excuse for a Bond film (despite an amazing soundtrack). Though for some balance and in defence of Roger I think TSWLM, MR and FYEO are all fantastic!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    hmmm.... for me, it's a toss up either between Moonraker or A View To A Kill..
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 50
    Probably Live and Let Die. I enjoy all of Moore's flicks to some extent, but I find myself coming back to LALD the least. It just feels flat, in my opinion.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    TSWLM is by far the worst of the Moore flicks in my opinion. Atrocious acting from Barbara Bach, a revamped story based on an already mediocre YOLT, and the ultimate boring villain in Stromberg. Jaws and the Lotus couldn't salvage that sinking ship.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    AVTAK followed by TSWLM.
    Definitely TMWTGG. Despite my strong preference towards the more serious Bond films, TMWTGG is really the only Moore film that I don't like. The rest of them are, in their own ways, quite entertaining, but TMWTGG just comes across as being quite dull, despite its many over-the-top elements.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Quoting haserot: hmmm.... for me, it's a toss up either between Moonraker or A View To A Kill..
    I'll quote myself here - and actually go on to correct myself.. after recently revisiting these said films..

it's a tie for me between The Man With The Golden Gun and Moonraker....

TMWTGG is so damn boring, and stupid at times... not even a very charming Christopher Lee could save that film... Moore gives a good performance as 007, and again, Lee is amazing as Scaramanga - but it's just a little too stale for my liking..

MR is just too damn silly and stupid - not to mention it was blatant attempt to cash in on the Star Wars craze going on - and it was an almost exact carbon copy of The Spy Who Loved Me - only with a Jaws not being scary, but a big dumb joke..

as lifeless as A View To A Kill is - and as mummy-like as poor Roger was looking, I found Christopher Walken just enough to carry this film over the other two.... and it's not just because it seems to be the "in thing" to overly love Christopher Walken - hell, I liked him before it became an internet fad... his villain, again like a few others, has a certain charisma about him that I like - even if the film itself is subpar (and should've been Dalton's first Bond movie) - plus Barry's score is better in AVTAK than in the others - IMO..

Either AVTAK or LALD is the worst for me. TMWTGG is certainly very strange but it does have some very funny and interesting elements to it.
    Definately AVTAK. I love all of Moore's other films.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    AVTAK. The weakest and most tired Bond film made between 1962 and 1997. Happily, the magnificent TLD was just around the corner.
  • Alot of hate for Live And Let Die here. Well maybe not hate but suprised to see it as the least favorite so often, LALD is my favorite Moore flick. As for my least favorite, my vote goes for TMWTGG. Film is just some muddled up. Roger has no idea how to play Bond and the whole story is just to up and down.
  • For me it's Moonraker and Live and Let Die, even though LALD has Jane Seymour in it. I just can't get into watching these two if they are on TV, at least with A View To A Kill after the pre credits sequence there is the Effiel Tower chase and some great John Barry music.
    edited March 2011 Posts: 3,262
    Quoting PIERCEBOND: at least with A View To A Kill after the pre credits sequence there is the
    Effiel Tower chase and some great John Barry music.
    John Barry's work is the greatest redeeming feature of AVTAK by far. Thanks to his music, I've probably actually watched AVTAK more times than FYEO, GE, LTK or LALD even though I think those 4 are actually better films.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 19,339
    I'm loving the 'love' shown for OP so far in this thread (it hasn't even been mentioned ),and rightfully so as it sits at #6 on my list at present.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2011 Posts: 9,117
    Quoting barryt007:
    I'm loving the 'love' shown for OP
    so far in this thread (it hasn't even been mentioned ),and rightfully so as it
    sits at #6
    on my list at present.
    Thats very discerning of you Barryt007. A quintessential Roger romp that ticks all the boxes - although obviously the double taking camel and the Tarzan yell are indefensible. I rank it about the same - maybe even top 5.

Just to get back on topic - TMWTGG is his worst. What should be stunning locations are rendered perfunctory (journeyman director Hamilton inexplicably getting his 3rd in a row after 2 previous poor entries to blame here methinks), a dull, plodding storyline and one (ruined) stunt apart very feeble action sequences. Christopher Lee does his best to add some gravitas but overall its all just very lacklustre.
    Act 3 of The Man With The Golden Gun is so dire that it completely sours what is admittedly a pretty mediocre experience to begin with. A View To A Kill, certainly the most boring Bond film, is down there too, though still a hair more watchable than The Man With The Golden Gun.
    Some people have said that we almost end up cheering Christopher Lee on in that film because Bond is so unpleasent, I can see their point to be honest.
    My personal least favorite is FYEO--though I don't think it's his worst. To me there is nothing memorable about Moore's performance, save for a few key action scenes. Moore was at his best with the tongue and cheek approach, but tough when he needed to be. He is devoid of any charm in FYEO. (Though it is admittedly a better film than LALD, MR and AVTAK)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love MR, as a guilty pleasure Bond, I admit, but I sure love MR nonetheless. Which film I think is the best Moore though? FYEO, followed by OP. The Moore ranking goes something like this for me:
    1. FYEO (I think it's a bloody good thriller)
    2. OP (drop the comedy, then I think it's a bloody good thriller too ;;) )
    3. MR (I just love this film. Call it sentimental if you like.)
    4. LALD (I love Solitaire. :X )
    5. TSWLM (Meh. The action's good though.)
    6. AVTAK (Some interesting moments. Good score. Not much else.)
    7. TMWTGG (Scratching my skull, looking for something inoffensive to say.)
  • AVTAK! Moore could have (and should have) ended admirably with Octopussy.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Quoting RogueThunderball: AVTAK! Moore could have (and should have) ended admirably with Octopussy.
    Agreed
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    My order would probably go like this (from best to worst):
    TSWLM (even Moore thought this film was his best)
    FYEO
    AVTAK
    OP
    LALD
    MR
    TMWTGG
    My rankings of Moore's run:

FYEO
    TSWLM
    MR
    OP
    LALD
    AVTAK
    TMWTGG
    edited March 2011 Posts: 3,262
    Mods, may we get a poll added to this one too, please?

Thanks.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Done PKK. Still TSWLM for me ;) And by about a light year!