What is your least favourite Moore 007 flick ?

Comments

I know I am in danger of incurring the wrath of DC007 but I think it would have to be Moonraker, I like a bit of silliness but this one is a bit too crazy, Jaws is so bad in this movie, I think if Bond had stopped Drax going into space rather actually going in to space it would have been a better film but the first half is pretty good and the visuals and music are great. I think it's just the all round confindence displayed on screen which keeps this above the dross like DAD.

Apart from the Q-boat chase, the space part is the best part in the movie. Really good movie, no doubt. And calling DAD dross, you must be sarcastic.

I'm really not a fan of DAD, the jokes are not funny the effects considering the era it was made in are very poor, it just doesn't work for me.

Whereas Moonraker, it's hard to explain but the nonsense on screen is executed with such confidence and enthusiasm that it get's away with it and Moore anchors the whole thing so well, whereas DAD is a bit of mess.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I know I am in danger of incurring the wrath of DC007 but I think it would have to be Moonraker

No worries :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    MR and OP. Every other Moore movie is either decent (LALD, AVTAK), good (FYEO, TMWTGG) or actually a great movie (TSWLM).
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 154
    My favourite is TMWTGG. I find Moore's interpretation very close to Fleming and the final scene is legendary. But the worst is OP or FYEO. Really bad mvies. No ofense to those who like them
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    FYEO is Moore's and Bond's worst. Too much of a bore fest and not very memorable IMO.
    FYEO is Moore's and Bond's worst. Too much of a bore fest and not very memorable IMO.

Unmemorable is the right word for FYEO, even though it´s good.

It's probably due to the fact that it purposefully tried to sway away from the previous Bond movies like MR, TSWLM, and TMWTGG, where fantasy, fun, and larger-than-life elements took control.
    00Beast wrote:

It's probably due to the fact that it purposefully tried to sway away from the previous Bond movies like MR, TSWLM, and TMWTGG, where fantasy, fun, and larger-than-life elements took control.

Yes, and that was a mistake, but the end result was still good.
    00Beast wrote:

Yes, and that was a mistake, but the end result was still good.

Yes, FYEO is a great Bond movie, even if it sometimes appears ordianry and bland. However, I still love it!
    I love FYEO, definitley in my top 3 at the moment, it's a great little thriller, with great set pieces a sprinkling of humour and one of the best lead performances of the entire series!
    AVTAK is in my Bottom five :

18.AVTAK
    19.TND
    20.TWINE
    21.DAF
    22.DAD

Moore should be quit after FYEO , but if his subsequent films after it has qualities like FYEO i would definitely like him better than Dalton...
    chuck007 wrote:
    AVTAK is in my Bottom five :

18.AVTAK
    19.TND
    20.TWINE
    21.DAF
    22.DAD

Moore should be quit after FYEO , but if his subsequent films after it has qualities like FYEO i would definitely like him better than Dalton...

Ah yes but FYEO was followed by OP which is a cracker in my book and features Moore truley at the top of his game!
    TLD was the worst outing by Roger Moore, why did they have that Poo-faced geezer playing Rogers part. :D
  • Moonraker for me. I don't dislike it as much as I feel I should, but it had so much potential to be a great Bond film.
    Moonraker for me. I don't dislike it as much as I feel I should, but it had so much potential to be a great Bond film.

Agreed, I think it could have been great if it were done a few years after the Star Wars hype and if Timothy Dalton were in the role then, I feel like he'd be a good fit for Moonraker, especially if they were to lose the outer space stuff. I had no problem with the outer space stuff, but I'm just saying that without it, MR would have been much more serious-toned like both of Dalton's movies.
  • My Moore ranking, best to worst, with short commentary.

1. FYEO- Moore playing Bond the way he should be played, with the edge a paid assassin should have.
    2. LALD- Classic movie, great debut. Could not have come at a better time with Blaxploitation in full swing at the box office, and as a result it opened the doors for a black audience to enjoy Bond.
    3. TSWLM- The film that brought Moore's vision of Bond into full focus.
    4. TMWTGG- Fantastic villain in Lee, timely storyline, Moore again playing Bond with an edge.
    5. AVTAK- Another great villain in Walken, wish Dalton had done this one as his scenes with Walken would have been incredible. The choice of leading ladies Moore beds are way too young for him and makes him look too old for the role, which I feel he was.
    6. OP- Watched the other night with my son, a really good film in many parts and may be better than AVTAK when all said and done. Another great villain in Orlov. Slapstick and gags excessive which is a major turn off. Maud Adams the right leading lady in age which helps to hide Moore's age.

7. MR- Too much silliness. This mostly sums it up for me- :-&
    New Roger Moore Ranking:

1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. Live and Let Die
    3. Octopussy
    4. A View to a Kill

5. The Spy Who Loved Me
    6. The Man with the Golden Gun
    7. Moonraker

Those in bold signify that they are in my Top Ten.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2012 Posts: 4,399
    I know I posted on here long ago on which was my least favorite, but i thought i would post again, since it was been a year now...

The Man With The Golden Gun stands alone as the Moore film I watch the least - Moonraker, while dumb and cheesy - at least holds some entertainment value, plus it has a fabulous score from Barry.... Golden Gun really holds no redeeming value to watch it on a consistent basis.... if it wasn't for the performances of both Moore and Lee, I would dare say I would probably rank it dead last, supplanting DAD as the worst Bond movie - thats how bored I feel when i watch the movie...... but in the end, DAD is just too much of a clusterf*** to move up above TMWTGG........ how i rank the Moore films (based on my own personal taste, is as follows)

1. The Spy Who Loved Me
    2. Live And Let Die
    3. For Your Eyes Only
    4. Octopussy
    5. A View To A Kill
    6. Moonraker
    7. The Man With Golden Gun
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 23,575
    TMWTGG

Feels to me like I'm watching the feature length pilot to a buddy spy TV show starring "That English secret agent from England" (which will become a tag line for the following episodes), introducing his girl Goodnight, his future arch nemesis NicNac and his future partner JW. :-j

Second place: AVTAK

Hands off the other Moore Bonds though, they're great IMO. Ranking:

1) FYEO
    2) MR (guilty pleasure, what can I say)
    3) OP
    4) TSWLM

5) LALD

6) AVTAK

7) TMWTGG
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I really dislike AVTAK because it feels so cheap in comparison to the other Moore films and it is a really damp squib to end his great run with, having said that I still prefer it to LALD possibly the worst Bond film ever made without the words 'Die','Another' and 'Day' in the title. I know lots of you really like LALD and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why I'm right and your all wrong, but it really is a dreadful film that always make me wonder why Moore didn't go the same way as Lazenby.

For the record:

1) FYEO
    2) TSWLM
    3) MR
    4) OP
    5) TMWTGG
    6) AVTAK
    7) LALD
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    saunders wrote:
    I really dislike AVTAK because it feels so cheap in comparison to the other Moore films and it is a really damp squib to end his great run with, having said that I still prefer it to LALD possibly the worst Bond film ever made without the words 'Die','Another' and 'Day' in the title. I know lots of you really like LALD and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why I'm right and your all wrong, but it really is a dreadful film that always make me wonder why Moore didn't go the same way as Lazenby.

For the record:

1) FYEO
    2) TSWLM
    3) MR
    4) OP
    5) TMWTGG
    6) AVTAK
    7) LALD

speaking for myself personally.... LALD is a lot of fun - it's plot is a simple one, not overly complicated, i like the racial tension in the film - it really screams the time period, and is something that couldn't be duplicated today.. not to mention Moore is top notch as Bond, and Yaphet Kotto is both charming and menacing as Dr. Kananga... Jane Seymour is an absolute angel as Solitaire.... terrific opening song, terrific score

while it has it's cheeky and dumb side - it's a fun ride... the following film was so devoid of fun, that it tried to recycle elements from LALD in order to get a pulse going.... but it failed.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    HASEROT wrote:

speaking for myself personally.... LALD is a lot of fun - it's plot is a simple one, not overly complicated, i like the racial tension in the film - it really screams the time period, and is something that couldn't be duplicated today.. not to mention Moore is top notch as Bond, and Yaphet Kotto is both charming and menacing as Dr. Kananga... Jane Seymour is an absolute angel as Solitaire.... terrific opening song, terrific score

while it has it's cheeky and dumb side - it's a fun ride... the following film was so devoid of fun, that it tried to recycle elements from LALD in order to get a pulse going.... but it failed.

You make some good points and I agree the score is terrific (though I actually hate the opening song). Personally I dislike the racial tension and feel that it is not a suitable subject for a Bond film, Moore I feel is still finding his way with the character and it's only with TSWLM that he makes the part his own. I find Yaphet Kotto does a satisfactory though ultimately unmemorable villain, though Jane Seymour is indeed wonderful despite her natural beauty being hampered by stupid costumes and over heavy makeup.
    I suppose the big difference is that I don't find LALD fun in the slightest, yes the plot is simple, but almost to the point of laziness and Bond just seems to stumble from one badly executed set piece to the next, and the stunts all seem so cheap and dull, the boat chase is far to long and the 'climatic' finale in the Villains lair must rank as one of the worst studio sets of the series.
    I could go on @haserot, but likewise I'm sure so could you bestowing the film's virtues, I guess that's the great thing about this site we get to discover how other fans view these films from different perspectives.

@saunders: I could see where you are going with that about LALD, I myself began to doubt my liking for it a few months ago, but I picked it back up again. What can I say, it's a sentimental old favorite! I just love the villains, the locations work, the music, and Roger Moore of course. However, I can say what you're saying about Bond stumbling around from bad set to bed set with laziness. It does seem kind of yawn-worthy sometimes and I do see what you're saying about poor sets, sometimes I think they are portrayed as kind of cheap quality.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Worse Moore film for me - A View to a Kill definitely
    I love FYEO, though.
    I think that AVTAK is one of the highlights among the Bond movies. The hate it gets beyond me. I love the SF firetruck chase, the PTS, the scenes at Zorin´s place in France and Moore!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,432
    TMWTGG

AVTAK is a movie that has grown on me, once you get past moores age its a decent movie and when reminded of moores age its amusing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Moonraker. Just a ridiculous movie overall. Closely followed by AVTAK. I even rate Die Another Day above those two, and Diamonds Are Forever. The four least satisfying films of the series IMO.
  • Got to be AVTAK. I was yawning the whole way through it. Thank god this series was saved by Dalton.
    Bond was turning into old news, and we obviously needed a modern reboot, with a more serious storyline.
    And TMWTGG is the second best Moore Bond. Oh well, everyone's got opinions I guess.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Well, AVTAK is My least favorite in the series so the answer is easy.

My list goes like this:

1) TMWTGG
    2) OP
    3) TSWLM
    4) LALD
    5) FYEO
    6) MR
    7) AVTAK

The Two first on the list is great movies, and the three in the middle are good, even though FYEO is quite forgetable.
    But MR and AVTAK is nummer 21 and 22 on My list, and they lack some serious Bond feeling and is just to much.