What is your least favourite Moore 007 flick ?

Comments

It has to be AVTAK with its geriatric 007 coupled with a boring story. Good music (apart from Beach Boys) and great posters didn't save this from being a dud.
    You see I probably would say AVTAK (its Sir Rog's least favourite) but I love the "Wine with Stacey" track.
    That and Christopher Walken
    ...and Patrick Macnee
    ...and Fiona Fulliton
    ...and Duran Duran

Meh View isn't all that bad.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I have to say that 'least favorite Moore flick' is not part of my vocabulary :)
    I still don't understand how people think that A View to a Kill is one of the worst Bond movies to date. I mean come on people! It has Roger Moore in a performance that knocks your socks off, Christopher Walken playing one of the greatest 007 villains ever to walk the screen, a slam-bang soundtrack from Barry, and a climax like none other! As for Moore's age, it really never gets to me, because he still knows how to light up the screen as our favorite spy, so I can still be convinced that he is 007 in 1985.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    00Beast wrote:
    I still don't understand how people think that A View to a Kill is one of the worst Bond movies to date. I mean come on people! It has Roger Moore in a performance that knocks your socks off, Christopher Walken playing one of the greatest 007 villains ever to walk the screen, a slam-bang soundtrack from Barry, and a climax like none other! As for Moore's age, it really never gets to me, because he still knows how to light up the screen as our favorite spy, so I can still be convinced that he is 007 in 1985.

I agree with you for the most part @00Beast. Moore is still his charming self. There are also some great moments: I particularly like how Bond uses the tire for air while he's underwater--not sure if that would work, but shows the ingenuity of Bond.

But there are problems with AVTAK: first Stacy and her screams really get on the nerves. That fire-truck sequence is really half-baked as is the Eiffel Tower scene. San Francisco does not make for a great location, and even so, they could have made it look a lot nicer. Same thing goes for Paris: the film-makers, particularly John Glen make it look like a boring drab city. There is absolutely no excoticism or travelogue flaire. The only impressive set in the whole film is Zorin's Estate at Chantilly, France.

I like A View to a Kill, but for me what really lacks is style: poor locations, Moore looking long in the tooth ( in addition to all of Mi6), not much energy to the story and performances. Style has always been a big part of what made cinema Bond what it is.
    I have to say that 'least favorite Moore flick' is not part of my vocabulary :)

Here here. Rog is my hero. Always has been and alway will be.
    Even when we say least favourite, what we actually mean is we wish he was still Bond :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Considering everything from MR onwards with the exception of FYEO are pretty bloody awful, I guess it's going to have to be his swansong VTAK, the ridiculous pensioner Bond outing where the stuntmen put in more screen time than old Rog!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    00Beast wrote:

Rog's performance knocked your socks off? Really? He was good, but his age makes it cringeworthy in a lot of aspects. He's extremely awkward in action scenes and chemistry with Stacey is almost zero. Speaking of which, she was a terrible Bond girl. Walken was good and deserved a better movie. John Glen's direction is a bit lacklustre compared to his later efforts. Walken, the Barry score and the climax are the only great things about it. It's not enough to make a great movie.
    00Beast wrote:

Rog's performance knocked your socks off? Really? He was good, but his age makes it cringeworthy in a lot of aspects. He's extremely awkward in action scenes and chemistry with Stacey is almost zero. Speaking of which, she was a terrible Bond girl. Walken was good and deserved a better movie. John Glen's direction is a bit lacklustre compared to his later efforts. Walken, the Barry score and the climax are the only great things about it. It's not enough to make a great movie.

I really enjoyed the way that Moore interacted with Zorin in each of the scenes which the two of them were present, especially when he realizes that Sir Godfrey is dead. That exchange of dialogue remains a favorite of mine. You're correct in that his chemistry with Stacey was definitely almost zero in credibility, but there's no doubt that his suave-o-meter is fully charged, hahaha. She might be 30 years below him, but the charm doesn't fail!
    What did I say before ?, but for the purpose of right now, a View to a Kill would be standing out like a sore thumb for this little contest. Moore's worst of the lot and my own least favorite of his tenure, by some distance, poor Roger merely embarrassed himself when he could of left on a high after the quite outstanding For Your Eyes Only

#1 a View to a Kill
    #2 Octopussy
    #3 The Spy Who Loved Me
    #4 For Your Eyes Only
    #5 Moonraker
    #6 The Man with the Golden Gun
    #7 Live and Let Die (*)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's funny that the worst of the worst in the era are in the top three favorited!
    But this is only for Roger Moore, if we were to include them all with each respective actor some would not do so well really, and I'm sorry, but for me, Moonraker and Golden Gun are quite fun and lively adventures, James Bond sort of died or become non-existent for me between 1983-85
    Not sure how recently I've done this, but here's my Roger Ranking as of today, from best to worst:

1. A View to a Kill (yes it is, get over it)
    2. Octopussy
    3. For Your Eyes Only
    4. Live and Let Die
    5. The Man with the Golden Gun
    6. The Spy Who Loved Me
    7. Moonraker

#1-4 are all in my top ten, let it be said
    I do appreciate your opinion Beast but have to say it always amazes me when I see a View to a Kill or even Octopussy in any members Top Ten of the series
    I do appreciate your opinion Beast but have to say it always amazes me when I see a View to a Kill or even Octopussy in any members Top Ten of the series

Hahaha, I can understand that. When I first saw Octopussy in January of 2010, I absolutely hated it and thought that it was one of the worst Bond movies ever. Now I love it! A similiar turn around happened with me to both Goldfinger and On Her Majesty's Secret Service. When I first rented them from Blockbuster on DVD during the summer of 2009, I love them. Now I have a difficult time putting them into the DVD player! Hahaha. Now as to A View to a Kill, I've always loved it, time and time again!
    2010 ? wow, I first saw it in 1983 on it's original release, I remember vividly that day

It's (maybe) actually not as bad as I sometimes say, but make no mistake about it, Moore descends into levels of nonsense that sometimes makes Moonraker seem like Ben Hur

I did used to hold Goldfinger in a more favorable light but as the years have passed, my disinterest has just grown, I wouldn't even take it to a desert island now if the truth be known
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    My least favorite Moore Bond film is AVTAK. MR not far behind.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Shardlake wrote:
    Considering everything from MR onwards with the exception of FYEO are pretty bloody awful, I guess it's going to have to be his swansong VTAK, the ridiculous pensioner Bond outing where the stuntmen put in more screen time than old Rog!

What's wrong with OP? It's better than FYEO, AVTAK and IMO TLD/LTK (I know I'm going to get pummled for that but I don't care).
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    MR. AVTAK wasn't that bad, the big problems were Rogers age and Mayday, but it's still a fun film with a great villian and some good scenes.

MR and AVTAK are the only Moore films I think aren't very good.

1- TSWLM (4th in my rankings)
    2- LALD (10th in my rankings)
    3-TWMTGG (12th in my rankings)
    4- OP (15th)
    5- FYEO (17th, would rate it higher if they didn't give Blofeld such a crap death)
    6- AVTAK (18th)
    7- MR (21st)

But I have to say this. The one thing that is great in all Moore's Bond films, even his bad ones, is Moore's performance. He was always great, and right now I rank him on par with Connery.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

What's wrong with OP? It's better than FYEO, AVTAK and IMO TLD/LTK (I know I'm going to get pummled for that but I don't care).

Plenty all the Tarzan rubbish and ROTLA rip off sequence coupled with all the cheese on display in the Moore era undermines what is actually a good story, with a Bond who was younger and less corn OP could have been a solid entry. I saw OP for the first time 1984-5 on VHS, I've had enough time with it to have made a decision about it, funnily enough it was the only RM Bond I didn't see at the cinema from SWLM onwards.

It certainly better than VTAK but FYEO? certainly not TLD or LTK, I am Moore baby he was my first Bond experience period on the big screen in SWLM but over 30 years later I can't watch his films with rose tinted specs and love them as when I was a kid. SWLM has a special place as my first experience of cinema at the age of 5 but with the exception of LALD, MWTGG & FYEO I don't think I could bring myself to watch any of his other entries again.

My least favorite has to be:
    MR
    way too silly and just a bunch of horseshytt. Dull villian, sorry excuse of a Bond girl. Chiles is ugly, dull and just a snore. Misuse of Jaws turning him into a buffoon. Aside from the great PTS the movie went downhill after the credits.
    This is the one film that had me shaking my head and I was ready to swear off Bond after seeing this movie.
    I can't stand back and let people have a swipe at Moonraker

Yes it has a great pre credits sequence, but you forgot to include Lonsdale gives us some of the best lines of the entire series, even if his Drax character was a bit dull, and then it has really nice girls like Corrine Clery and Emily Bolton, and Bond gets to go to so many different locations, California, Italy, Brazil, (outer space!) etc, and there's so much to get involved in, I never get bored watching at it, and has probably the finest music scores throughout of the entire Bond releases, even Bassey wasn't that bad. I can easily watch this from start to finish and it never loses focus, even if it issomewhat absurd and nonsensical at times
    I can't stand back and let people have a swipe at Moonraker

Yes it has a great pre credits sequence, but you forgot to include Lonsdale gives us some of the best lines of the entire series, even if his Drax character was a bit dull, and then it has really nice girls like Corrine Clery and Emily Bolton, and Bond gets to go to so many different locations, California, Italy, Brazil, (outer space!) etc, and there's so much to get involved in, I never get bored watching at it, and has probably the finest music scores throughout of the entire Bond releases, even Bassey wasn't that bad. I can easily watch this from start to finish and it never loses focus, even if it issomewhat absurd and nonsensical at times

After watching Moonraker today, I will say that it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. Roger is in top form, with his quips coming out the woodworks and his suave charm and coolness lighting up the screen. The locations are certainly another great help; from California to Italy to Brazil and then to outer space, we get pulled along like a roller coaster ride! As for Barry's soundtrack, you're right, it's quite awesome. I hadn't thought much of it until the point when I started humming most of the tunes along with the movie, and then I realized that I liked it more than I thought, hahaha. These three things are the best of Moonraker for sure. Now, the action is decent, which kills me not to say superb because that's what I look for most in a Bond movie- good action. I always enjoy the PTS, the fight with Chang, the Amazon boat chase, and Bond's tussel with the snake. Everything else however is rather pitiful, to say the least. And as everyone always mentions, yes, the cheesy bits like Jaws and Dolly or the Bondola do bring the movie down a whole lot, sadly. It's extremely difficult to get past those terrible mistakes! Also, as for a missed opportunity, we might have been cheated out of a great fight with Jaws in Drax's space station, but somebody had the bright idea to make him switch sides! Man, that will never be okay with me, ever! So all in all, MR is a middle-class Bond movie with nearly equal amounts of terrific parts and dumpish parts. I'd certainly pick it for a watch above Goldfinger, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and You Only Live Twice, that's for sure.
    My vote goes to MR
    Not only.is it the worst Moore film but it is the worst of all the films. That remake of TSWLM silly humor stupid laser battle in space and then that stupid line at the end by Lois Chiles one of the worst Bond girs of all time. Gag me.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    My vote goes to MR
    Not only.is it the worst Moore film but it is the worst of all the films. That remake of TSWLM silly humor stupid laser battle in space and then that stupid line at the end by Lois Chiles one of the worst Bond girs of all time. Gag me.

Hahahaha, I do agree that the space laser battle is really far fetched nonsense, and the humor, along with Lois Chiles and her pathetic last line, bring MR down a lot. I also agree that MR is the worst of Moore's movies. Still though, I don't have it in last place because it is watchable and has some really neat moments, and I can enjoy ten thousand times more than, let's say, YOLT, OHMSS, or GF, which comprise my bottom three.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    EDIT: Weird how that happened.
    I think you are in the wrong thread, Brady.

For me, it's "THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN". It lacked style and an interesting plot. And despite two really good scenes, Moore came off as a second-rate Sean Connery, instead of a first-rate Roger Moore. I preferred a first-rate Moore.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    EDIT: Weird how that happened.

That happened to me last week. Thought I was posting in a thread concerning Christopher Nolan but my comment ended up in a different thread!
    DRush76 wrote:
    For me, it's "THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN". It lacked style and an interesting plot. And despite two really good scenes, Moore came off as a second-rate Sean Connery, instead of a first-rate Roger Moore. I preferred a first-rate Moore.

I do too! However, I enjoyed Moore in TMWTGG, and thought it was one of his better performances actually. What two scenes are you referring to, by the way? I would guess they'd be when Bond interrogates Andrea and when he has lunch with Scaramanga, but I could be wrong about that.