Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

AceHole wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    There was a time when Jude Law and Hugh Grant were the bookies' favourite. They might as well pull a name from the London phone book.

Well quite.
    Other 'bookies favorites' have included luminous suggestions such as:

Colin Farrell
    Ioan Gruffudd
    Ewan McGregor

'Nuff said.

Oh I forgot McGregor. McMahon or whatever his name is was also a big favourite. Wear a tux and you can make the list.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In 2005 a Scottish friend of mine thought Robbie Williams should be the next Bond as he reminded him so much of Sean Connery.

Robbie Williams... Sean Connery. What can you say?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In 2005 a Scottish friend of mine thought Robbie Williams should be the next Bond as he reminded him so much of Sean Connery.

I thought he was a singer.... (who did that YOLT impersonation song). Is he an actor too?
    bondjames wrote: »

I thought he was a singer.... (who did that YOLT impersonation song). Is he an actor too?

His fans think he's an actor. They think he's a singer too unfortunately.

I remember this stupid rumour. Williams was also a bookies' favourite. My sister in law thought he'd be great.
    I suspect it was that video that did it. Millennium.

Horrendous.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

Horrendous.

But then came this

Horrendous.

But then came this

Like I said his fans think he's a singer.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Some people just don't learn.
    You must remember that Brosnan had been Bond for years, so why not Williams?
    Lunatics are everywhere, in the real casting department and in the make-believe one.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,661

If we want another Scottish chap, my money is on SNP politician Alex Salmond.

He has the ego of Connery, the maniacal ambition of Blofeld, and looks dashing in a suit.

o-ALEX-SALMOND-facebook-620x350.jpg

"Oh, James!"

;))
    Looking absolutely smoking, Salmond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    You must remember that Brosnan had been Bond for years, so why not Williams?
    Lunatics are everywhere, in the real casting department and in the make-believe one.

I'd rather have Brosnan play Bond until he turns 75 than Robbie Williams as Bond.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I never thought I'd see a photo of wee fat eck on here Shocking.
    I won't be totally surprised if Craig steps down after 'Spectre,' but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he did one more film.

I have also read THIS article about Lewis becoming the favorite to replace Craig. But as many of you have mentioned, he is just too old at this point. I would be very surprised if someone over 40 was chosen for the role.
    Craig will do a 5th movie!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    As an American, I've never once heard "Station Break" on news and entertainment mediums. We have Commercials but nobody's ever said Time for a Station Break.
    I remember station breaks, it was what news & talk shows said they were going to just before commercials back in the 60's & early 70's.
    (Being old has its advantages)
    SJK91 wrote: »
    I won't be totally surprised if Craig steps down after 'Spectre,' but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if he did one more film.

I have also read THIS article about Lewis becoming the favorite to replace Craig. But as many of you have mentioned, he is just too old at this point. I would be very surprised if someone over 40 was chosen for the role.

As far off as he is, both lookwise and agewise, I sometimes wonder, who is crazy.
    Me for feeling that way or those, who write the nonsense, not the least those, who actually give it a serious thought. Crazy world, but what else is knew?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »

As far off as he is, both lookwise and agewise, I sometimes wonder, who is crazy.
    Me for feeling that way or those, who write the nonsense, not the least those, who actually give it a serious thought. Crazy world, but what else is knew?

It's the recommendations that are laughable. Lewis is a great actor, but he is no Bond. Neither are a lot of the names that have been mentioned on here. I'm in agreement that the next James Bond is currently in his early 30's and is off our radar at the moment. Watch English tv for someone who has potential - that's likely where our next man is establishing his credibility and credentials right now imho.....
    I like Damian Lewis (and certainly a better pick than the other Homeland cast member who keeps being mentioned in here!) and if he was 10 years younger I'd be all about this, but just already too old for the gig. Even if Craig steps down after Spectre, Lewis would be 46 or 47 before his first Bond film hits the big screen.
    bondjames wrote: »

It's the recommendations that are laughable. Lewis is a great actor, but he is no Bond. Neither are a lot of the names that have been mentioned on here. I'm in agreement that the next James Bond is currently in his early 30's and is off our radar at the moment. Watch English tv for someone who has potential - that's likely where our next man is establishing his credibility and credentials right now imho.....

Or watch plays.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,138
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Do the bookies know something we don't...

No. that's not how bookies work. They offer odds on what people want to bet. People want to bet on these no chancers becoming Bond, so they offer it.

I really think we need a moratorium on putting forward the names of people who are 40+. It's getting tiresome to see these pretenders that have as much chance as I do of being Bond. The guy who played Loki doesn't have even the remotest Bond look. Not even in a tux or the Jaguar commercials, where it should be most apparent.
    Isn't it time for EON to show some back bone and put an end to this idiotic PR for most of these actors that don't have a chance in hell of being Bond.

BB and MW's response to the Elba rumor was all political correctness. Elba hasn't a chance, neither does Lewis. They are both more than a decade to old. EON's silence just adds fuel to these idiotic rumors and stories which spread like fire in the press. It is disloyal to Craig, who has poured Lord knows how many extra millions into their wallets, it also undermines SP. People going to see SP shouldn't be speculating why Craig is being replaced. EON's silence is contributing to this.
    Babs has dismissed thise rumors some time ago
    smitty wrote: »
    Isn't it time for EON to show some back bone and put an end to this idiotic PR for most of these actors that don't have a chance in hell of being Bond.

BB and MW's response to the Elba rumor was all political correctness. Elba hasn't a chance, neither does Lewis. They are both more than a decade to old. EON's silence just adds fuel to these idiotic rumors and stories which spread like fire in the press. It is disloyal to Craig, who has poured Lord knows how many extra millions into their wallets, it also undermines SP. People going to see SP shouldn't be speculating why Craig is being replaced. EON's silence is contributing to this.

The media is going to speculate about it regardless of what anyone at EON says. And really, Michael and Babs are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they answer a question with "No, we won't be hiring Idris Elba as Bond", they'll be called racist in the press and that'll be a whole other controversy. In fact Babs did give her usual answer of Daniel is Bond and we want to keep him as long as possible, but of course nobody writes articles about that.

In one way, it is positive. Its showing people care and are interested in Bond. They should probably be more worried if the "Who should play Bond next?" articles are met with a "Who cares?" response.
    Damian Lewis is pretty ugly. Uglier than Craig.
    Babs has dismissed thise rumors some time ago

No she has not and certainly not since this endless round of rumors as SP heats up. And her earlier comments were just the usual gush nonsense about his continuing as Bond forever. Their recent comments when asked about Elba noted Craig had an "open ended contract" which is hardly adding clarity. I agree with @dinovelvet that they have to be careful with what they say about Elba or indeed they will get a PC slam. But they could give more clarity to their ongoing support for Craig for business reasons, if not out of loyalty.

What sparked my view on this was an astute article in the LA Times today about this latest Bond replacement rumor and the press tizzy over it. The key quote was.....

"On its face there's nothing harmful in this — it's just the diverting fun of casting-news daydreams. But for a medium that asks for a suspension of disbelief as it seeks to transport us to another world, this can be an annoying and even undermining intrusion. It's hard to keep going to another world if part of your mind is worried about the next casting."

The LA Times, the only major LA newspaper, is obviously not just any big city newspaper given its readership, so it's not just another press piece. If there is suddenly some comment from EON addressing these rumors, this news article may have caused it.

Link to full article: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-spectre-james-bond-daniel-craig-damian-lewis-idris-elba-20150616-story.html

I dont think, anybody is "worried" people are playing this game throughout his tenure and why stop now? Its not gonna harm the BO either, if some think, its his swann song.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Why would EON dismiss the claims it constantly keeps Bond in the press and forefront of the media. It's free PR. As for the rumours it's an excuse for bookies to bring in more money on such long term bets now because even if they lose the money has already had a return with interest & investment return to cover the pay out "house always wins" best ignore such rumours. Dan will not quit after Spectre very sure this is a Mendes triolgy and Dan will see it out.
    Smitty, she has been very clear about it. " he is Bond and is here to stay for some time" how much more confirmation do you want? She made herself clear.

On a whole, if this bugger doesnt crack the line, DC, who cares about the franchise, will probably hand in his Good byes, because h feels its time. So, all who want 25 out of him, better hope for brilliant BO.

If a crapfest like JW can be successful, so should be Bond.
    smitty wrote: »

doing more than they do would give some credit to the rumor. The best way is indeed to dismiss it politely.