Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Easy. The wax figure of Bond in Scaramanga's lair. No talk, twice the charisma. ;-)
    Nonsense !! Moore's performance in TMWTGG is up their with the all time cinematic greats !! Easily the best Bond performance of the franchise !!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Easy. The wax figure of Bond in Scaramanga's lair. No talk, twice the charisma. ;-)
    Nonsense !! Moore's performance in TMWTGG is up their with the all time cinematic greats !! Easily the best Bond performance of the franchise !!

Ah, I'm just teasing. I know it's your favorite Bond film and actor so just rest easy. I have to make up for your absence a while back. ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ah, I'm just teasing. I know it's your favorite Bond film and actor so just rest easy. I have to make up for your absence a while back. ;-)
    Jolly good, my friend ! ;-)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Nobody in TMWTGG. Even Barry's score is uninspired.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 15,686
    What can I say... Next time you watch the film, just sit comfortably in the couch, bring in some beer and chips, call some friends, pump up the volume, and just enjoy the fun ! Maybe watch MR just before, to let the fun, excitment and good ol' Sir Rog sink in !! Yes you need to really organize a viewing of TMWTGG so that you can enjoy it to the fullest ! Once you will have seen it in perfect, epic conditions, you will finally enter the exciting, epic, wonderful and fun world of TMWTGG and Roger Moore !!
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Christopher Lee
    "yes it's a friend I'm expecting...no he won't be leaving" great stuff.:-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I personally think Barry keeps up the good work, even in this film. Considering the time he had to compose, which came in short supplies, good work from the master is what I say.
  • Christopher Lee saved this film from being a total disaster.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Mr Christopher Lee... hands down.
    Britt Ekland... pants down.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    :-))
    Christopher Lee. I'm a bigger fan of TMWTGG than I should be (given my distaste of silly things in Bond films) but I really just find myself liking more things about this film than I do hating it
  • 100% Christopher Lee =D>
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    What makes The Man With The Golden Gun remarkable is the sheer degree to which it's a product of its time. There are all the obvious ways of course, the way the film rides the coattails of the kung fu fad, the role of the 1973 energy crisis in establishing the film's MacGuffin, etc. But it goes deeper than that, down the very three act story structure upon which the film is built. Evaluate each act independently:

Act 1 is a detective story.

Act 2 is a Bond-based hallucination probably produced by a stimulant (such as LSD) rather than a depressant (such as Cannabis) because…

Act 3 is a hard comedown. Reminders of (relative) "reality" like the Solex drag the fun of to a halt. The surrealism that remains feels empty and forced; a reminder of the escape that Act 2 provided.

The first VCR was released in 1971. Rewinding a videotape of a movie was on the verge of becoming widespread. It would be so easy to rewind a tape of The Man With The Golden Gun to revisit Act 2 rather than face Act 3…

But then you'd be trapped, wouldn't you? The movie would never end.

The Man With The Golden Gun as a timely and clever parable—the only aspect of the project that deserves an 11/10—is difficult to credit because I can't believe it was intentional. But then, that doesn't matter. Art exists between the art and the audience, not the artist and the audience. Accidental messages can influence just as easily as intended ones.

The Man With The Golden Gun • Richard Maibum

Tom Mankiewicz's original script focused more on Bond and Scaramanga specifically and, given the talents of Moore and Lee, probably would've made for a (conventionally) superior film. Maibum integrated the other elements into the structure of the film, inadvertently transforming the structure itself into a metaphor, so he gets the points.
    The Golden Gun prop! \:D/
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN: Terence Young
    FRWL: Robert Shaw
    GF: Sean Connery
    TB: Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT: Ken Adam(honorable mention to Freddie Young)
    OHMSS: John Barry
    DAF: Jill St. John
    LALD: Jane Seymour
    TMWTGG: Christopher Lee

Possibly my favorite lead villain of the series(unless the TB/FRWL Blofeld counts). Bond vs. Saruman provides some of the best moments of Bond cinema in one of the more underrated films in the series.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    The Golden Gun prop! \:D/
    LOL. While I think this film was doomed, thanks to the weak/unfinished source material and the rushed production--presumably to cement Moore as Bond in the public eye (not unlike QoS)--your vote is a very good one.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Britt Ekland... pants down.
    well played sir.. lol... though i found her much better looking in The Wicker Man......... or course, her dancing and gyrating naked in that movie goes a long way to that conclusion on my part....

oddly enough - that was another film she starred in with Christoper Lee.
    FILM 10 The Spy Who Loved Me
    For this film, I think the master is without doubt Ken Adam, giving us once again the best of the very best.

1. Terence Young
    2. Sean Connery
    3. John Barry
    4. Peter Hunt
    5. Ken Adam
    6. John Barry
    7. John Barry
    8. Jane Seymour
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 107
    The Spy Who Loved Me • Lewis Gilbert

He came to the project with very specific ideas on reworking Roger Moore's portrayal of Bond. This was necessary, as Moore trying to sell Connery's brand of magnetism (rather than something more in line with his own) simply wasn't working. Moore in his first two outings as 007 is the cinematic Bond at his most unlikeable. Gilbert saw the problem and fixed it. Without Gilbert, I doubt Moore would've lasted in the role nearly as long as he did.
    TSWLM - ken Adam (with a little help from Stanley Kubrick) :-)
  • Albert R. Broccoli - For all the troubles this film had to go through, both production and story wise, he saved the franchise from sinking. Bravo.

DN - Maurice Binder
    FRWL - Daniela BIanchi
    GF - Richard Malibum
    TB - Luciana Paluzzi
    YOLT - Ken Adam
    OHMSS - John Barry/George Lazenby
    DAF - None
    LALD - George Martin
    TMWTGG - Christopher Lee
    TSWLM - Albert R. Broccoli
    100% Cubby Broccoli. With all the legal troubles and the pressure of putting on a grand film, telling Ken Adam to build the 007 Stage and not to mention cooking all that Pasta for the cast and crew!
    it's hard for me not to go with Ken Adam on this - as his designs of the Atlantis and Liparus sets were stunning...

but, i think i gotta go with Roger Moore in this one.... this i believe was his best performance as 007... he had the traditional Moore wit and humor.. but he also showed a slight bit of ruthlessness in the scene where lets the guy fall off the edge of the building by yanking the tie from his hands - and also some serious coldness, when he describes to Anya why he killed her boyfriend... this was Moore at his best.

1. Terence Young
    2. Pedro Armendariz
    3. Gert Frobe
    4. Sean Connery
    5. Ken Adam
    6. Peter Hunt
    7. Shirley Bassey
    8. Yaphet Kotto
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Roger Moore

this was Moore at his best.

Although I'm still going with Cubby I have to agree with you on Moore's performance. Great job all around
    TMWTGG- Christorgher Lee
    TSWLM- Broccoli, Adam and Moore.
    DN : Sean Connery
    FRWL : Sean Connery
    GF : Desmond Llewelyn
    TB : Sean Connery
    YOLT : Ken Adam
    OHMSS : John Barry
    DAF : John Barry
    LALD : Paul McCartney
    TMWTGG : Roger Moore (close : Clifton James, John Barry, Guy Hamilton)
    TSWLM : Lewis Gilbert
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Fave Moore outing. These four get my vote.

1st- Gilbert
    2nd- Cubby
    3rd- Adam
    4th- Moore
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Definitely my favorite Moore film! I love this movie. So my vote is for Roger first of all, and Cubby Broccoli 2nd (for supreme efforts).