SPECTRE: So how should a possible car chase turn out?

Comments

Why ask this question in the first place? I doubt that Wilson and Broccoli will pay attention to our opinions . . . while the movie is shooting.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Why ask this question in the first place? I doubt that Wilson and Broccoli will pay attention to our opinions . . . while the movie is shooting.

For discussion? What else?
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    PERFECT CAR CHASE:

1) The villians car gets crashed up
    2) Bond's car doesn't get CRASHED UP
    3) Not too long, not too short
    4) Add some more interesting things, like feautres in the cars, not just car chase, somthing more interesting
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,312
    My fear is that the DB10 will have some very silly features. I find the rear tyres suspicious, they are wider than the front ones. Then there was the recent interview with an Aston Martin spokesman who hinted at something that Bond would do with his hands. I would be disappointed if the car is driven by joystick or can turn all wheels sideways. Mendes wants it to become the modern fantasy Bond car for the 9-12 year old boys. Let's hope its scenes stay true to the spirit of Craig's films so far. Maybe it turns into a boat? I guess some already know from reading the leaked script, but please don't hint at anything.
    aaron819 wrote: »
    Spectre filming locations in Rome, including cemetery and villa and car chase scenes:

http://www.007travelers.blogspot.fi/2015/01/spectre-filming-locations-and-details.html?m=1

It's the only thing I heard -accidentally, because then people didn't hear of spoiler tags- from the SonyLeaks: That Barbara Broccoli fought very hard to get a real villa in the film instead of doing a fake set somewhere in England.

By the way, just read the article. This is spoiler-heavy. But by jolly. This WILL be one hell of a car chase, Ronin-style. Judging the entire route, this car chase should at least last for like 7 minutes in the entire film. Finally a worthy follow-up of chases like those in "Bullet" and "Ronin"??

Will my wishes be heard? Something like this, but then in Rome :-P?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    All the Rome government no no's I'm hoping we even get a chase lol. Maybe they should slow it down to a tense traffic jam chase to see who gets free first?? Seriously.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,602
    Being the underdog by using someones car offers so many more options IMHO, the Boune chase in the Mini or the taxi. By having a flash car, it some how detracts from the action and perhaps people can relate to an everyday car better, FIAT 500 good but such a pity that Bond never had a char chase in a Mini, especially one with a union jack roof but Bourne beat him to it which is ironic considering it was not shot in the UK and Bourne was from USA
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    patb wrote: »
    Being the underdog by using someones car offers so many more options IMHO, the Boune chase in the Mini or the taxi. By having a flash car, it some how detracts from the action and perhaps people can relate to an everyday car better, FIAT 500 good but such a pity that Bond never had a char chase in a Mini, especially one with a union jack roof but Bourne beat him to it which is ironic considering it was not shot in the UK and Bourne was from USA

I think what counts are following points to make an exceptional Ronin-esque car chase:
    --> More "emotional" Bond inside the car:
    Compared to CR and QOS, this time around Bond should NOT look so "cool" and "serious". Because in reality...there is never truly time to be cool and serious when driving a car in panicking mode.
    --> Different kind of cinematography inside the car:
    So what is necessary? A lot of fast-paced close-up shots from Bond inside the car...Bond actually USING the car. Close-ups of the gearsticks, the steering-wheel, the accelerator. But most importantly, different kind of facial expression of Bond. A bit more "fun"!
    --> A co-passenger:
    Let there be some nice communication between Bond and, perhaps, Lucia Sciarra. I personally loved Melina's remark in FYEO when he was driving her 2CV: "Go backwards, and quickly!!", leaving Bond a bit surprised. Do that inside Bond's Aston Martin DB10.
    --> Different kind of cinematography outside the car:
    More slower paced wide-shots please, so you can better see the interaction between the Aston Martin DB10 and the rest of the traffic. I loved the shots from Bond on his motorbike on the roofs of the bazaars in Istanbul in "Skyfall". Do it with the car chase as well, and NOT like it was done in "QOS".
    --> Enhance the velocity of the car, by adding some shots of the front of Bond's car, close to the road. But the shots should last a bit, let's say 5 sec's per shot....non-stop. Again, no rushed up stuff like in QOS.
    --> Make the car chase last:
    The car chase should not be an ultra fast paced 3 min sequence. Now, let the audience sit back for a much longer thrill-ride. Do like "Bullet", let the car chase last at least 10 mins in the film.
    --> Make it an pleasant-to-follow car chase:
    Bad editing and unrealistic tricks don't work. Look at "QOS". People need to have the idea that they can follow the route of the car during the chase.
    --> Relying on real stunt work and actually let the cars be driven by the actors:
    We know how painfully wrong this was executed in "Quantum Of Solace". Yes, Bond was behinf the steering-wheel, but his Aston Martin was on a lorry. Do NOT forget, that Robert DeNiro actually steered the car himself, adding more realism to it and also heightening the suspense and excitement.

Hollywood directors have lost the knack of directing great car chases since "Ronin" and "The Bourne Supremacy", piling on random sound and fury to mind-numbing effect. The pursuits in "Quantum Of Solace" and "The Dark Knight", to name just two, are a mess. The fad for ultra-quick cutting made them completely lackluster.

Let's hope director Sam Mendes, cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema and editor Lee Smith pull it off. Let's hope they make the biggest and best car chase since "Bullet", "The French Connection", "The Seven-Ups" and "Ronin". Because after 53 years, not even one Bond film manages to make it into the TOP 15 ranking of best car chases ever. A fact to be ashamed off!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 238
    not even one Bond film manages to make it into the TOP 15 ranking of best car chases ever. A fact to be ashamed off![/b]
    Loads of great car chases in Bond films, DAF is a great example and TMWTGG, the car does a full barrel roll! And OHMSS, in the ice rink. There aren't 15 films in my mind with better car chases than them.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    not even one Bond film manages to make it into the TOP 15 ranking of best car chases ever. A fact to be ashamed off![/b]
    Loads of great car chases in Bond films, DAF is a great example and TMWTGG, the car does a full barrel roll! And OHMSS, in the ice rink. There aren't 15 films in my mind with better car chases than them.

Those are tricks that suddenly look silly and over-choreographed next to the Ronin-car chase. Please no corkscrew roll please. It was only added to set some stunt records. The fun escaped me.

The car chase from OHMSS I actually forgot, because I think that's actually the best Bond car chase. It's the only car chase that relies entirely on driving skills (from Tracy no less), and not over-choreographed gadgets.
  • If the chase 1) makes use of real locations, and 2) is choreographed, shot, and edited as well as the opening chase in SF, then I’ll be the happiest person on the planet.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 8
    I would like a car chase that pays particular attention to the sound editing. Sometimes the focus on sound detail is a worthy substitute for an exciting score. Both can be used together in great ways as well. One aspect I enjoyed about the car chase in QOS is getting to hear Bond shift gears. Tire squeals, engine revs, shifting, etc. can make for a great mix.
    Here again the 3rd videoblog that goes into detail about the massive Rome car chase:

I agree that most of the shots and frames of this video are not really the final shots that'll be used in the actual film. But looking at how all those camera's are positioned -the Mercedes Benz M-class camera crane, the camera boats, the aerial shots, the fixed camera's on the actual cars, as well as cameramen on the passenger seats- could really give a more classic feel to this car chase. Similar to "Ronin" and "Bullitt". I hope this chase makes more use of longer one-shots and better editing, so it can truly stand out as the best car chase ever in cinematic history.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think I do agree with you that the Rome car chase might be the longest in the series. It's at least 9 scenes long (obviously this depends on how long each scene is). I'm personally fine with this just as long as it doesn't feel like it drags on. Definitely shaping up to be fantastic judging from the vlog.
    I would love to see the use of car gadgets in this pretty exciting Rome chase scene
    Here again the 3rd videoblog that goes into detail about the massive Rome car chase:

I agree that most of the shots and frames of this video are not really the final shots that'll be used in the actual film. But looking at how all those camera's are positioned -the Mercedes Benz M-class camera crane, the camera boats, the aerial shots, the fixed camera's on the actual cars, as well as cameramen on the passenger seats- could really give a more classic feel to this car chase. Similar to "Ronin" and "Bullitt". I hope this chase makes more use of longer one-shots and better editing, so it can truly stand out as the best car chase ever in cinematic history.

I sincerely hope they add more cars to the roads in post otherwise it'll just be stupid. Even if it is early in the morning, this is Rome. It wouldn't be this quiet on the streets.

• edited May 2015 Posts: 2,598
    Alexedward wrote: »
    I would love to see the use of car gadgets in this pretty exciting Rome chase scene

Seeing this is the Craig era and grittier and more realistic with more of a tone in the vein of the books, I hope there aren't gadgets but I won't be surprised if there are and I'll accept it as these are the films which are almost entirely different beasts to the books. Eon have never gone for more than two films without throwing in the outlandish gadgets.
    I know there is not an era of exploding pen but still I can predict that there will be few gadgets in DB10!
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Just watching 'Grand Prix' on BBC2 and reminding myself how awesome Frankenheimer is at car chases. What I'd give to see one Frankenheimer Bond chase. He's the Willy Bogner of car chases, it's just a shame he was so talented he directed the movie as well.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Just watching 'Grand Prix' on BBC2 and reminding myself how awesome Frankenheimer is at car chases. What I'd give to see one Frankenheimer Bond chase. He's the Willy Bogner of car chases, it's just a shame he was so talented he directed the movie as well.

I'm so happy you're mentioning this film, as I'm also a great lover of Formula One racing. "Grand Prix" was produced before "Bullitt" if I'm not mistaken. And it got several (tech.) Oscar nominations. It's an OK film too. I've been saying for years that a Formula One themed Bond film would be a nice idea. To such an extend that the latest Bond novel is using car racing as action narrative. A better film about car racing is the recent "Rush". Wonderful film!
  • RC7RC7

I'm so happy you're mentioning this film, as I'm also a great lover of Formula One racing. "Grand Prix" was produced before "Bullitt" if I'm not mistaken. And it got several (tech.) Oscar nominations. It's an OK film too. I've been saying for years that a Formula One themed Bond film would be a nice idea. To such an extend that the latest Bond novel is using car racing as action narrative. A better film about car racing is the recent "Rush". Wonderful film!

Yeah, I think it was a couple of years before Bullitt. I agree, an F1 scene in a Bond would be great. I've seen Rush, I enjoyed it a lot, but maybe clouded by my love of F1 as my wife was indifferent. I'm praying that the SP chase is the best of the franchise. There's something exhilarating about a good car chase.
    Yeah, for me as a Dutchman it's great to see this young Dutch kiddo Max Verstappen doing pretty well, under the circumstances (not the best cars, Toro Rossi). Tomorrow Silverstone! Also TB was filmed there ;-).
  • RC7RC7
    Yeah, for me as a Dutchman it's great to see this young Dutch kiddo Max Verstappen doing pretty well, under the circumstances (not the best cars, Toro Rossi). Tomorrow Silverstone! Also TB was filmed there ;-).

He's pretty impressive. On another Bond note, I completely forgot Adolfo Celi was in 'Grand Prix'.

He's pretty impressive. On another Bond note, I completely forgot Adolfo Celi was in 'Grand Prix'.

Have you also seen "Le Mans" with Steve McQueen?
  • RC7RC7

Have you also seen "Le Mans" with Steve McQueen?

Hell, yeah. Purely for McQueen.

Oh, and if the score sounds like this for the SP chase... I will shit my pants.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think the SP car chase will sound more in line with Arnold's time to get out than back seat driver.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I think the SP car chase will sound more in line with Arnold's time to get out than back seat driver.

I'd be happy with either direction. Just as long as there is, you know, some direction and not just convenient background music like Skyfall.. all in my opinion if I have to remind you that my written words come from me. FWITW I did enjoy choice pieces from SF, one of which was during the train fight. The rest were all dramatic moments. Newman needs to pick up the pace in the actiony bits.
    Alexedward wrote: »
    I know there is not an era of exploding pen but still I can predict that there will be few gadgets in DB10!
    I have huch there a few gadgets in new Aston Martin DB10. But I hope no self destruct button. Remember The living Daylights.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited July 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Self destruct button? Lol this is Craig Bond; he IS the self destruct button.

@JWESTBROOK, I agree with you, especially on Newman. He really needs to up his game and embrace the Bond aesthetic 100% when scoring a Bond movie. Arnold's backseat driver is really good and boasts slick coolness but it lacks that dangerous edge and intensity which Arnold employed for time to get out. QoS' opening car chase could have been one of the best sequences in the series if it wasn't so horribly massacred in the editing room.
    Watching BBC One now ;-). Jensen Button still is a lovely charming chap ;-). Pity the big teams don't want him anymore.