SPECTRE: So how should a possible car chase turn out?

edited December 2014 in SPECTRE Posts: 11,119
From a friend in other forum:

"I've got a friend in Rome who revealed that permits have been filed for closing down the Coliseum and that some streets have been closed."

As we already know, Bond 24 will once again include a car chase. It is set in Rome, near the Coloseum and the famous Trevi Fountain. Still, we haven't really discussed the subject of the Bond 24-car chase yet. I'm surprised. IMO The Bond franchise still suffers from a groundbreaking car chase that is can be considered the greatest one in cinematic history. For instance this one:

THIS is for me a near-perfect template for a realistic, gripping car chase. 7 minutes long. And the music score is severely downplayed, especially during the first part of the chase, so you mostly hear car sounds. I think especially this car chase outtrumps the PTS from "Quantum Of Solace", because there are a lot of shots from the actors who actually drive the car. I also think it works, because the music score is considerably downplayed or non-existent in the first half of the chase. It's perfectly edited, it doesn't make your stomach crawl.

And off course, this car chase from "Ronin" has got its inspiration from Steve McQueen's "Bullitt" and Gene Hackman in "The French Connection". Perhaps it helps to let 007 drive a "normal" car for once? An ordinary Vauxhall/Opel Astra Stationcar or a Peugeot 308 Hatchback? A bit like what was done with such great effect in FYEO. Killing off the wonderful Aston Martin early on....

By the way, I was also pleasantly surprised by the car chase in Washington DC in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (another Marvel-film that felt slightly more Bond-esque). It's time Mr Bond outperforms on the above examples, in Rome ;-). Probably "Hinx" will chase Bond (or the other way around).

I do hope though, that the car chase will not be featured during the PTS, but, let's say, in the 2nd half of the movie.

Now my question for you: What elements should the Bond 24-car chase in Rome have to make it the most thrilling, groundbreaking car chase in cinematic history?

Comments

No one? No suggestions?
    I want it to be gadget free and very gritty
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I want Bond to drive a convertible (open-top) car, so that one can see him (or his double) being thrown around in the car. Apart from that, make it gritty and don't play for laughs (no pigeons, no staring tourists, no comedic policemen). Oh, and one more tiny thing: It must stand out above other car chases in movie history, of course.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    - Let's really believe Dan can drive a stick, and I'm kidding
    - Let's really believe Bond has aced his defensive driving course- what I mean is let's see him pull off some brilliant manouever that someone who drives for a living would never have thought of
    - Also, there has to be one unique stunt in there, but not forced. CR had the record-setting roll, he pulled a 360 in QOS to free himself from the truck (or at least that's what I'm told happened...)
    - Little to no comedy in the chase- keeps a sense of danger to it
    - I love my gadgets (surprise) but no optional extras for this film- let's see Bond outnumbered and outgunned using his wits only, and using every part of the car as a weapon
    - In parts of the chase, I want to hear the Bond theme with liet motif of the theme song interwoven, and in other, more intense parts, perhaps no music, in the vein of the Tosca scene (slide whistle most definitely welcome :) )
    - Let's see his new Aston come out looking like a piece of Swiss cheese, and get pulled over by the cops for defects.
    Ha! When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was 'Ronin'. Good call.

Lots of wide shots of the action - let the cars do the talking. Real sense of speed, danger and mayhem.

QoS was so tightly edited you couldn't glory in the choreography of the various setups.

Let's not have any cars side by side nudging each other off course. Dead boring. Same goes for all the other car chase cliches.

Bourne introduced some great hero shots at the wheel, we could hope for something new, different and similarly ground-breaking perhaps.

I've always rather liked the short car chase in Octopussy once Bond nicks the Alfa. Perhaps because it's entirely justified narratively - which for Craig's era of Bond would seem to be paramount.

I just hope they avoid the usual Perrier/Heineken product placement - or at least make it a little more subtle.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As long as he is not wrecking the Colosseum with a tank while adjusting his cufflinks, it will be fine.
    As long as he is not wrecking the Colosseum with a tank while adjusting his cufflinks, it will be fine.

Hmm, nobody is mentioning this. But I really found the tank chase simply.....too much :-S. As a kid I liked it. But now.....Daniel Craig doing this stuff. I can't imagine it.

I have a horrible feeling that at some point near the Colosseum Bond will find himself standing on a wheeled cart of some sort, having lashed it to a conveniently placed horse with some makeshift reins.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I still think it would be fun someday to see Bond in a car chasing a motorcycle.. fast and agile and easy to slip away... found be a long chase ...very frustrating. Doubt that's what this is though.
  • I would hate for the car chase to be like Ronin as amazing as that looks because it simply is not a bond car chase.It is too long with no grace or sweep.You guys saying there should be underplayed music are missing the point also.
    For the record I think the QOS PTS car chase was awesome-more typical bond.It was economical and Bond has to use his skill and wit.Think DAF,think TND and GF also.Perhaps one of the longest chases was the boat chase in LALD but that was interjected with a lot of sweep,humour and a brilliant score.
    I think the Rome car chase if there is one should have the obligatory landmarks to locate it and should be economical in scope.It should follow the preceding narrative and not be shoehorned in.The Aston isn't necessary.Bond is a supreme agent and should be able to manoeuvre any gutsy Italian car.
    I sincerely doubt it will happen but a AVTAK paris car chase stunt is a definite no-no.
  • agentHHH wrote: »
    I would hate for the car chase to be like Ronin as amazing as that looks because it simply is not a bond car chase.It is too long with no grace or sweep.You guys saying there should be underplayed music are missing the point also.
    For the record I think the QOS PTS car chase was awesome-more typical bond.It was economical and Bond has to use his skill and wit.Think DAF,think TND and GF also.Perhaps one of the longest chases was the boat chase in LALD but that was interjected with a lot of sweep,humour and a brilliant score.
    I think the Rome car chase if there is one should have the obligatory landmarks to locate it and should be economical in scope.It should follow the preceding narrative and not be shoehorned in.The Aston isn't necessary.Bond is a supreme agent and should be able to manoeuvre any gutsy Italian car.
    I sincerely doubt it will happen but a AVTAK paris car chase stunt is a definite no-no.

You can't be serious? I remember when I first saw "Ronin" in cinemas back in the 1990's. I was stunned, amazed, electrified. The only car chase that, for me in the Bond franchise, worked, was the "Octopussy" car chase. That chase was not only gripping because it was a good car chase. But it was also good, because it really was part of the storyline. If Bond didn't "chased with a car", then most likely an atomic bomb was going off, creating a lot of havoc in Europe. Bond was not chasing a villain, nor was he being chased by a villain. He was chasing to save lifes.

That same kind of seriousness I really felt with the "Ronin"-car chase. The "QOS"-chase? That's a real no go for me now. Yes, it has got it's gripping moments. But they should have made it longer.
  • I think it's interesting that they closed down the collesium. Probably just for the car chase (maybe they'll pass through there) but I think it has a lot of potential as a location.

In the third Assassin's Creed game, set in Renaissance Rome, there's one bit where there's a play happening at the Coliseum. The lead actor has been sleeping with one of your enemies and so he has valuable information. But he's going to be killed during the play so you have to save him. You climb up the coliseum and then move along the wall taking out archers.

Something like that could be cool in a Bond film. You could work some real tension out of it, the stuntwork would be impressive and you could get some really impressive shots of someone climbing up. Maybe Bond is meeting some contact who works for the villain but is defecting. They meet in the coliseum because it's a large public place, it seems safe. They start talking but as they do an assassin working for the bad guy turns up and starts scaling the wall. During Bond's conversation with this contact, it keeps cutting away to this assassin climbing in sneakily, setting up a rifle, etc. Finally he shoots the contact, Bond shoots at him and chases him off, cue car chase.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah that sounds pretty good @thelivingroyale. Just not sure the team are that creative to pull it off.
    I just hope the chase is a long one, with plenty of driving action involving skillful driving, plenty of carnage, and not just shooting of guns! Also involve the main attractions of Rome!!! Such a beautiful city!
  • don't put any music over it, no doubt the new Aston will bring its own.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 9
    Gustav Graves there is a reason people remember GF car chase ,DAF car chase even the TMWTGG twirling bridge jump or the TSWLM lotus chase-they were actually good.Who really remembers the Octopussy car chase-be fricking serious!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    agentHHH wrote: »
    I would hate for the car chase to be like Ronin as amazing as that looks because it simply is not a bond car chase.It is too long with no grace or sweep.You guys saying there should be underplayed music are missing the point also.

You can't be serious? I remember when I first saw "Ronin" in cinemas back in the 1990's. I was stunned, amazed, electrified. The only car chase that, for me in the Bond franchise, worked, was the "Octopussy" car chase. That chase was not only gripping because it was a good car chase. But it was also good, because it really was part of the storyline. If Bond didn't "chased with a car", then most likely an atomic bomb was going off, creating a lot of havoc in Europe. Bond was not chasing a villain, nor was he being chased by a villain. He was chasing to save lifes.

That same kind of seriousness I really felt with the "Ronin"-car chase. The "QOS"-chase? That's a real no go for me now. Yes, it has got it's gripping moments. But they should have made it longer.

Let's get this straight you think this
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JvD-0hlZPmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

is better than this
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1jhYwggalNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jeepers I rest my case

I take it there's supposed to be videos here.
    I'm hoping that the build up to the Rome car chase will begin with the first appearance of the main Bond girl. I'd like her to appear mysterious with Bond following her, walking through the streets of Rome. A car pulls up, she get's in, and Bond run's onto the road and stop's the next car, throw's the driver out, get's in, and follows the car that the mysterious main Bond girl (or Lea) and whoever is driving are in - and we have a rather long and exciting car chase.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JvD-0hlZPmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

is better than this
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1jhYwggalNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jeepers I rest my case

It's a sad day when you can't illustrate your point

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080

is better than this

jeepers I rest my case

What point? I was merely pointing out that I assume there's supposed to be videos present (which, if you want to post a YouTube video, you just copy and paste the URL). Your comment was in response to @Gustav_Graves in the first place, not me.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'd be fine with the chase ending in the villains running out of the car and into the Coliseum. Only for a pride of lions to attack the villains.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And please give Berlusconi a cameo.
    Berlusconi could play the next Blofeld!

is better than this

jeepers I rest my case

What point? I was merely pointing out that I assume there's supposed to be videos present (which, if you want to post a YouTube video, you just copy and paste the URL). Your comment was in response to @Gustav_Graves in the first place, not me.

No offence meant.I was referring to myself being unable to make my point.Although I can see how it came across.I was thankful you picked up on the original error.
    Peace.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    My idea for the car chase:

Bond and Lea Seydoux are in Bond's Aston Martin DB 10, where they are chasing the henchman, Dave Bautista, in order to stop a terrorist attack on the coliseum. The exhilarating chase sequence continues through the narrow streets of Rome. But after Bond and Lea loose sight of Bautista, Bond somehow slams into one of the fountains in the Quattro Fontane intersection, knocking him out and sending Lea flying through the windshield. Bond then wakes up an hour later in the flipped car, and Lea is nowhere to be seen. He presumes she is dead, but finds her later in Austria, where Bond realizes she is a French intelligence agent.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Can we get less spoilery thread titles please? Please?
  • So this is it:
    sf7yzcqbzi9v.jpg
    076yo91bxpyy.jpg

Will 007 steer this car again into shambles :-P? But hopefully after a wunderful Ronin-esque chase no?
    It
    So this is it:
    sf7yzcqbzi9v.jpg
    076yo91bxpyy.jpg

Will 007 steer this car again into shambles :-P? But hopefully after a wunderful Ronin-esque chase no?

It just oozes class! Love it! :x
  • It's indeed a wunderful car. Like Chris Corbould did on the Batman films, is Aston Martin doing for the Bond films really. This is quite unique, that Aston Martin, and not the actual special effects supervisors, are designing a Bond car, only for a Bond film.

Moreover, I think it's a wunderful marketing shoe-in. And the car? It's simply stunning, THOUGH I'm a bit disappointed that it only has a V8. Craig's previous Martin's had a V12. I also think the DB10 uses the smaller chassis from the baby-Martin, the Vantage
    Not a big fan of smashing up another Aston Martin. All three Craig films have featured a a shot up, smashed up, or destroyed Aston. I'd prefer this new one stay intact. Perhaps he rushes on foot from the Coloseum in pursuit of a bad guy. When he gets to his sleek, obviously rocket-fast Aston, he discovers he's hopelessly blocked in by a parked truck.
    That's when he has to commandeer the classic Fiat, a car small enough to drive on sidewalks, through alleys, and the like. When Bond finally gets back to the Aston, he discovers it's been impounded by the local traffic cops.