Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2015 Posts: 7,989
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's good to hear about MGM @SirHilaryBray. I hope you're right.

I think when Dan's tenure is over Babs will be retired

I doubt this;

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    talos7 wrote: »

I doubt this;

Well I did not mean will be retired, I believe she will retire. Said before around time of 25 is being promoted she will be 60. Don't see her at 61, 62 starting over when the next generation of the family is already learning the trade to take over. Makes sense. I am also not saying she will retire fully, I think she will be on the end of the phone should David & Gregg need her guidence, but I don't see her having an official part in EON beyond the release of Bond 25.
    talos7 wrote: »

I doubt this;

Well I did not mean will be retired, I believe she will retire. Said before around time of 25 is being promoted she will be 60. Don't see her at 61, 62 starting over when the next generation of the family is already learning the trade to take over. Makes sense. I am also not saying she will retire fully, I think she will be on the end of the phone should David & Gregg need her guidence, but I don't see her having an official part in EON beyond the release of Bond 25.

The news about Craig wanting to continue on another thread seems to nail down Craig for at least one more Bond. Since Bond 7 and B26 won't appear for about 6 more years, it is almost futile to speculate who it could be as it seems they will be forced by the studios, if not from their own thinking, to go young which means the next Bond is on no one's radar now. Also, EON has never hired an A-lister with the baggage (huge salary, scheduling conflicts etc.) that comes with that kind of choice, and it's unlikely they will change for Bond 7.

I also think BB will leave full-time Bond production work with Craig. The films have gotten so gigantic, it must be a killer of a production job and hopefully if Spectre and B25 are hits, she would go out on a big high. Even if they don't reach the magic 1B mark, I would bet she'd like to do smaller less crazy projects.
    Smitty you are so right. Legend.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't see why Barbara Broccoli will retire with Bond 25. Cubby was still active on set and location into his late seventies.
    h1.jpg
    On location for TLD
    I see no reason to suggest she wont continue in her fathers footsteps.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I don't see any of the recent names mentioned as Bond.
    But when trying to think of a potential Bond #7 I'm drawing blanks to a suitable actor. Maybe after Bond 25 can we seriously start looking at possible candidates. That's not to say it isn't sometimes fun looking for a next Bond.
    Barbs has a partner and children and probably grand children to come. Cubby and Barbs mother divorced. All Cubby had in the end was Bond and Barbs.

If she steps aside when Dan goes she is likely to bow out on a high. She's not stupid. Why risk her legacy in Bond by taking the risk that comes with a new Bond actor who doesn't go down as well as DC?

David & Gregg will be at the right age and new fresh ideas itching to take over. Barbs will want to ensure the future of EON remains in the family. Look at what happened to the Disney family. Most say Disney lost its magic and became cold and corporate when Isner got rid of Walts family off the company board. Barbs daughter is also keen to join the movie making business. I agree what someone said previously Dan's Bond should have a finale. Next Bond should be a new reboot whether that's in modern times or a period Bond will be based on the audience pull of other movies at the time.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I still think Rupert Friend is a good choice. Put that man in a nice suit, bulk him up, and I think he'd be a nice Craig-ish replacement. He has that same minimal dialogue/more use of non-verbal acting to him.

To be honest, I think he needs to leave Homeland and start doing some more film work to give himself the best shot. If he is still Quinn in Homeland when the time approaches he won't be considered, as for EON it would mean moving a similar charachter from one franchise to another it make it harder for the viewer to accept him as Bond. He for me is a top 3 front runner. Age, look acting style.

If Eon were looking for continuity though Barry Sloan would be a natural successor Born 1981, Liverpool born just like Dan, height, looks similar. As Aiden in Revenge he was basically stealling Dan's act.

http://revengeabc.wikia.com/wiki/File:3x13_Aiden.jpg
    http://www.spoilersguide.com/revenge/spoilers-barry-sloane-talks-whats-next-for-aiden-after-his-sisters-death/

Ah yes, I remember seeing Barry Sloan in Revenge and instantly thought that he could play Bond. He'd also be top 3 for me. But I agree with you on Rupert, but he seems to be trying to get out there with Hitman.

Ha ha. Barry Sloane.....the manc from Hollyoaks! No chance. He has neither the talent or charisma to carry off Bond. We want A list worthy (unknown is fine) talent, not Z list TV stars.

Mate he is from Liverpool. I think I did say that on my previous post. He is not a Manc!. So what if he was in Hollyoaks 10 years ago he's an actor you take what job to get you through the door and to pay the bills the fact he gave it up to try crack the US and suceeded shows he is ambitious. Daniel Craig was in Heartbeat and Drop the Dead Donkey so the point you are making is nonsensical.

You say "we" want and A lister. To be honest your speaking for yourself there is not "we in this. No actor who has played Bond so far was an "A" lister. Bond made them one. A listers costs too much money, they are already identified as other charachters from past projects.

dominicgreene seems to agree Sloan has the Bond thing going for him. He was in Noah which was was one 2014's blockbuster so his acting status is climbing and he is currently filimg The Whispers and ABC america show in which he is a leading role aimed at the same audience as fans of Agents of Shield and Hero's I don't think it will be long before the guy is "A" list.

My apologies, he is a scouser. Maybe I didn't explain properly. He isn't a particularly good actor having seen him in (can't beleive I am admitting this) Hollyoaks and Holby City. Henry Cavill is critisized on here for not being a good enough actor for 007, but he is streets ahead of Sloan in every way. Fair enough it's your opinion. On a positive note, Slone is certainly a better shout than Elba! Ha ha.

I would rather have Eddie Murphy than Idris Elba.

Ha ha. Agreed.
    Seconded.
    I still think Rupert Friend is a good choice. Put that man in a nice suit, bulk him up, and I think he'd be a nice Craig-ish replacement. He has that same minimal dialogue/more use of non-verbal acting to him.

To be honest, I think he needs to leave Homeland and start doing some more film work to give himself the best shot. If he is still Quinn in Homeland when the time approaches he won't be considered, as for EON it would mean moving a similar charachter from one franchise to another it make it harder for the viewer to accept him as Bond. He for me is a top 3 front runner. Age, look acting style.

If Eon were looking for continuity though Barry Sloan would be a natural successor Born 1981, Liverpool born just like Dan, height, looks similar. As Aiden in Revenge he was basically stealling Dan's act.

http://revengeabc.wikia.com/wiki/File:3x13_Aiden.jpg
    http://www.spoilersguide.com/revenge/spoilers-barry-sloane-talks-whats-next-for-aiden-after-his-sisters-death/

Ah yes, I remember seeing Barry Sloan in Revenge and instantly thought that he could play Bond. He'd also be top 3 for me. But I agree with you on Rupert, but he seems to be trying to get out there with Hitman.

Ha ha. Barry Sloane.....the manc from Hollyoaks! No chance. He has neither the talent or charisma to carry off Bond. We want A list worthy (unknown is fine) talent, not Z list TV stars.

Mate he is from Liverpool. I think I did say that on my previous post. He is not a Manc!. So what if he was in Hollyoaks 10 years ago he's an actor you take what job to get you through the door and to pay the bills the fact he gave it up to try crack the US and suceeded shows he is ambitious. Daniel Craig was in Heartbeat and Drop the Dead Donkey so the point you are making is nonsensical.

You say "we" want and A lister. To be honest your speaking for yourself there is not "we in this. No actor who has played Bond so far was an "A" lister. Bond made them one. A listers costs too much money, they are already identified as other charachters from past projects.

dominicgreene seems to agree Sloan has the Bond thing going for him. He was in Noah which was was one 2014's blockbuster so his acting status is climbing and he is currently filimg The Whispers and ABC america show in which he is a leading role aimed at the same audience as fans of Agents of Shield and Hero's I don't think it will be long before the guy is "A" list.

My apologies, he is a scouser. Maybe I didn't explain properly. He isn't a particularly good actor having seen him in (can't beleive I am admitting this) Hollyoaks and Holby City. Henry Cavill is critisized on here for not being a good enough actor for 007, but he is streets ahead of Sloan in every way. Fair enough it's your opinion. On a positive note, Slone is certainly a better shout than Elba! Ha ha.

I would rather have Eddie Murphy than Idris Elba.

Ha ha. Agreed.

Me too. And I am/was an Idris Elba fan for his role of Stringer Bell in The Wire.
    Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy are two best actors could replace Daniel Craig as 007. DC should not continue after SPECTRE, although he is a good actor but getting too old which also causing several injuries during the shooting
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I could see Fassbender as Bond. But Hardy, like Craig, comes off as too thugish. Might make a good villain, though.
    Alexedward wrote: »
    Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy are two best actors could replace Daniel Craig as 007. DC should not continue after SPECTRE, although he is a good actor but getting too old which also causing several injuries during the shooting

Craig has been injured on all his Bond shoots because he does most of his own stunt work. His most serious injury was on QOS when he had to have rotator cuff surgery right after that shoot. That film was shot in 2007/8 when he was about 39, so it is not his age that is causing the injuries, it is his insistence on doing most of his own stunts. Actors who do most of their own stunt work are always getting injured. If they are in good condition, their age has little to do with it. The stunt men on major action films not only get constantly injured, sometimes very seriously, they sometimes even get killed.

Also, EON has never gone with a major, established film actor for a new Bond. The salary demands and long 10-12 yr commitment required will likely eliminate any of the major names now being mentioned. Even a director like Batman's Nolan is not going to commit to another 3+ films on a series that he can't completely revamp to put his own stamp on it. EON has stretched the Bond template about as far as they could with Craig, and in their view, since it ain't broken, they ain't going to "fix" it other than casting a young actor for Bond 7.

Starting a new Bond actor is a huge risk, and there is no way Bond 7 will not be young enough to put in another10-12+ year commitment which rules out all the "names" now being mentioned. Fassbender and Hardy will be too old, too expensive and way too well known. Elba will be too old by 15 + years which makes all his pushing for it PR. The next Bond is likely not on anyone's radar now, except possibly EONs.
    smitty wrote: »

Also, EON has never gone with a major, established film actor for a new Bond. The salary demands and long 10-12 yr commitment required will likely eliminate any of the major names now being mentioned. Even a director like Batman's Nolan is not going to commit to another 3+ films on a series that he can't completely revamp to put his own stamp on it. EON has stretched the Bond template about as far as they could with Craig, and in their view, since it ain't broken, they ain't going to "fix" it other than casting a young actor for Bond 7.

Great post. I would also add, apart from the salary demands a 'name' actor would have, EON want to create their own hero from the ground up. They don't want headlines like "X-men star is new Bond!" or "Tom Hardy will film Bond in between Mad Max 2 and 3", they want their guy to be 100% Bond with no baggage from any other iconic roles.
    The next Bond is likely not on anyone's radar now, except possibly EONs.

Yeah. Although I reckon Dan Stevens is still in the mix, depending on what he does in the next few years - his career is on a big upward trajectory. It could be a case of the right actor arriving in the right film at the right time, like Layer Cake coming out during the casting search.
    smitty wrote: »

Craig has been injured on all his Bond shoots because he does most of his own stunt work. His most serious injury was on QOS when he had to have rotator cuff surgery right after that shoot. That film was shot in 2007/8 when he was about 39, so it is not his age that is causing the injuries, it is his insistence on doing most of his own stunts. Actors who do most of their own stunt work are always getting injured. If they are in good condition, their age has little to do with it. The stunt men on major action films not only get constantly injured, sometimes very seriously, they sometimes even get killed.

Starting a new Bond actor is a huge risk, and there is no way Bond 7 will not be young enough to put in another10-12+ year commitment which rules out all the "names" now being mentioned. Fassbender and Hardy will be too old, too expensive and way too well known. Elba will be too old by 15 + years which makes all his pushing for it PR. The next Bond is likely not on anyone's radar now, except possibly EONs.

I was reading Craig's one of recent interview in which he said that he would like to do the stunts as its best but most of the time its been done by his double for him! I will surely share the link as soon as i found it!
    Well age numbers doesn't matter, sometimes it lot depends upon the physique of the person. Tom Cruise is 52 probably 5 years older than Craig but still do all his stunts, he has done in MI5 too but still not injured because he is fit far better than Craig.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Well age numbers doesn't matter, sometimes it lot depends upon the physique of the person. Tom Cruise is 52 probably 5 years older than Craig but still do all his stunts, he has done in MI5 too but still not injured because he is fit far better than Craig.

So your saying Cruise is fitter than Craig?. Come on man look a the their physiques against each other Craig spends way more time in the Gym than Cruise. Honestly sometimes I read stuff on here and its like peoples brains farting.

And for the record http://empirenews.net/tom-cruise-critically-injured-during-filming-of-mission-impossible-5/

Cruise was badly injured while filming MI5

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am a fan of both actors and both franchises. The two actors are to be commended for giving there all to these films. While Cruise, at 52, is remakably fit. his physiqe dosen't come close to Craig's.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Nearly 10 years on and some people still can't get past their pre-judgements of Dan being Bond. Thats the only reason why someone would question Dan's fitness as a factor to still being Bond.
    "The truth is, if you don't get bruised when you're doing Bond, you're not doing it properly"- Daniel Craig
    I am not again Craig's Bond he has done a great job to uphold or even take the character of 007 certainly into next level but these injuries might be the reason of his retirement from the franchise, he was also looking bit old in few scenes Skyfall
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am not again Craig's Bond he has done a great job to uphold or even take the character of 007 certainly into next level but these injuries might be the reason of his retirement from the franchise, he was also looking bit old in few scenes Skyfall

That was the intention. Do you know how they make actors look haggard/old/sick on film? Give the make-up artist a day off.
    +1 he told Tamine in costume make me look rough. He didn't hit the gym as hard he is suppose to have escaped death and is living with shards of uranium shell under his skin. And M sends him out in the field when he's not ready.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    And we're going off topic here peeps.

I have to agree with earlier comments regarding Bond #7. I don't think it will be any of the names that has been mentioned to date. An actor under the radar. EON probably have a shortlist of candidates should they need to act quickly. (You never know what the future holds), but I can't see them hiring a well established actor in the role.
    Benny wrote: »
    And we're going off topic here peeps.

I have to agree with earlier comments regarding Bond #7. I don't think it will be any of the names that has been mentioned to date. An actor under the radar. EON probably have a shortlist of candidates should they need to act quickly. (You never know what the future holds), but I can't see them hiring a well established actor in the role.

Words of wisdom. The public has no clue about Bond 7 now. Bond 7 either.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Not sure if this has been posted, but here's some odds.

Who will replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond?

Odds from Paddy Power

Tom Hardy 3/1

Idris Elba 4/1

Orlando Bloom 6/1

Michael Fassbender 6/1

Henry Cavill 10/1

Andrew Lincoln 10/1

Dan Stevens 14/1

James McAvoy 16/1

Tom Hiddleston 20/1

Jamie Dornan 25/1

Sam Worthington 25/1

Dougray Scott 33/1

Damian Lewis 33/1

Christian Bale 33/1

Jon Hamm 33/1

Dominic West 33/1

Gerard Butler 40/1

Chris Hemsworth 40/1

Clive Owen 40/1

Barry Sloane 40/1

Alex o'Loughlin 50/1

Rupert Friend 50/1

Richard Madden 50/1

Cillian Murphy 50/1

Craig Fairbrass 50/1

Hugh Jackman 50/1

Ewan McGregor 50/1

James Purefoy 50/1

Matthew Goode 50/1

Benedict Cumberbatch 50/1

Sam Riley 50/1

Colin Salmon 50/1

Guy Pearce 66/1

Aidan Turner 66/1

Colin Farrell 80/1

Tom Felton 80/1

Max Ryan 80/1

Goran Visnjic 80/1

Jude Law 80/1

Daniel Radcliffe 100/1

Julian McMahon 100/1

Eric Bana 100/1

David Walliams 100/1

Jamie Foxx 125/1

Colin Firth 125/1

Will Smith 125/1

Russell Crowe 125/1

Adrian Paul Hewett 150/1

Hugh Grant 150/1

David Beckham 200/1

Robbie Williams 250/1

P.Diddy 250/1

I think posters here could make a lot of money betting against the favorites.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 10,588
    There are times when I wish Tom Hardy was 5 years younger and not as famous. He'd be a fantastic Bond. Plus, he'd have too many films to commit to. He has reportedly signed on for 2 or 3 more Mad Max films.
    WTF is P Diddy doing on there?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Hardy is also generously 5'9"
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Sark wrote: »
    Hardy is also generously 5'9"

Tall enough pour moi.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 709
    Ha ha ha some awesome picks there. Seems to be a strange mix of "Generic Brit actor who doesn't have two heads" and leftover Bond candidates from 2005. What on Earth is Orlando Bloom doing as the third favorite on this list, or on any list at all for a coveted role in the year 2015? You might as well put Heath Ledger on there.

Dan Stevens at 14/1 is maybe a decent bet. IIRC, Daniel Craig was once 12/1 or so on a similar list in 2005, can't find any evidence offhand though. Just this link, and surprise surprise, a lot of the exact same dull names on there (amusingly, no mention of Daniel).

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=1625&t=mi6&s=news

• Sark wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted, but here's some odds.

Who will replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond?

Odds from Paddy Power

Tom Hardy 3/1

Idris Elba 4/1

Orlando Bloom 6/1

Michael Fassbender 6/1

Henry Cavill 10/1

Andrew Lincoln 10/1

Dan Stevens 14/1

James McAvoy 16/1

Tom Hiddleston 20/1

Jamie Dornan 25/1

Sam Worthington 25/1

Dougray Scott 33/1

Damian Lewis 33/1

Christian Bale 33/1

Jon Hamm 33/1

Dominic West 33/1

Gerard Butler 40/1

Chris Hemsworth 40/1

Clive Owen 40/1

Dan Stevens 40/1

Alex o'Loughlin 50/1

Rupert Friend 50/1

Richard Madden 50/1

Cillian Murphy 50/1

Craig Fairbrass 50/1

Hugh Jackman 50/1

Ewan McGregor 50/1

James Purefoy 50/1

Matthew Goode 50/1

Benedict Cumberbatch 50/1

Sam Riley 50/1

Colin Salmon 50/1

Guy Pearce 66/1

Aidan Turner 66/1

Colin Farrell 80/1

Tom Felton 80/1

Max Ryan 80/1

Goran Visnjic 80/1

Jude Law 80/1

Daniel Radcliffe 100/1

Julian McMahon 100/1

Eric Bana 100/1

David Walliams 100/1

Jamie Foxx 125/1

Colin Firth 125/1

Will Smith 125/1

Russell Crowe 125/1

Adrian Paul Hewett 150/1

Hugh Grant 150/1

David Beckham 200/1

Robbie Williams 250/1

P.Diddy 250/1

I think posters here could make a lot of money betting against the favorites.

Most of the names on that list are stupid. P.Diddy. Hugh Grant. David Beckham.
    Nearly all of them are either too old or too well known. The only possible candidates I can see from the above are:
    Andrew Lincoln - 42 / 5'10"
    Dan Stevens - 33 / 6'0"
    Barry Sloane - 34 / 6'2"
    Alex O'Loughlin -39 / 6'1"

I would also maybe chuck Nicholas Hoult into the hat and Matthew Lewis.