Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

@MajorDSmythe you have yet do do High Fidelity and Serendipity both excellent Cusack vehicles.
    As for Must love dogs I love that movie for Diane Lane who presence in any movie is enough of an excuse to watch it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron (2015)

Age%20Of%20Ultron%20Falcon.jpg

I'm a fan of superhero comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Loved Mavel's The Avengers in 2012 big time. So I'm not exactly the most objective reviewer here. ;-) You therefore won't be surprised to find that I had a great time with Age Of Ultron. Its three major strengths are 1) GREAT ACTION, 2) really nice character moments and 3) good comedy!

Of course after Avengers and Cap 2 the bar was set incredibly high. On top of that, Avengers was the first time we'd ever seen such a big assembly project in the superhero realm, and it rocked. Any sequel starts with two weaknesses: it's not new any more and the previous successes, while most certainly deserved, are very difficult to top. I'm afraid this is the unfair territory many critics will take their reviews.

People mustn't forget the source medium and in comic books, this is how it happens. You have the various story arcs feed off of each other and build towards something else. You have established characters cameoing or save the day. That's one of the many things I love so much about the MCU.

Age Of Ultron is big, loud and funny, well written, well acted and ... "well" everything. It's not as dark and serious as Cap 2, nor is it as "lightweight" as Thor 2. Like 2012's Avengers, it's great fun! But it helps tremendously to be into the comics and the previous MCU films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Like 2012's Avengers, it's great fun!
    Does Hulk sucker-punch Thor again?
    No wait- don't tell me...
    :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe you have yet do do High Fidelity and Serendipity both excellent Cusack vehicles.
    As for Must love dogs I love that movie for Diane Lane who presence in any movie is enough of an excuse to watch it.

I love Diane Lane too. Sadly we don't see too much from her these days.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron (2015)

Age%20Of%20Ultron%20Falcon.jpg

I'm a fan of superhero comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Loved Mavel's The Avengers in 2012 big time. So I'm not exactly the most objective reviewer here. ;-) You therefore won't be surprised to find that I had a great time with Age Of Ultron. Its three major strengths are 1) GREAT ACTION, 2) really nice character moments and 3) good comedy!

Of course after Avengers and Cap 2 the bar was set incredibly high. On top of that, Avengers was the first time we'd ever seen such a big assembly project in the superhero realm, and it rocked. Any sequel starts with two weaknesses: it's not new any more and the previous successes, while most certainly deserved, are very difficult to top. I'm afraid this is the unfair territory many critics will take their reviews.

People mustn't forget the source medium and in comic books, this is how it happens. You have the various story arcs feed off of each other and build towards something else. You have established characters cameoing or save the day. That's one of the many things I love so much about the MCU.

Age Of Ultron is big, loud and funny, well written, well acted and ... "well" everything. It's not as dark and serious as Cap 2, nor is it as "lightweight" as Thor 2. Like 2012's Avengers, it's great fun! But it helps tremendously to be into the comics and the previous MCU films.

+1

I saw this yesterday and will be seeing it again today. I loved this movie and as an avid conic book reader myself tge conventions of presenting the story and reintroducing the characters is something I understand and the novelty taking a slight hit inevitable. However, seeing cameos from other heroes was great and going to and hearing the name Wakanda put a huge smile on my face. King T'Challa isn't going to be too happy and will likely slap both Tony and Steve around before shaking hands in Cap 3. Thanos has his hand in the gauntlet now and is finally going to get stuff done himself, finally! Infinity Wars is going to be bananas...probably the biggest movie event in cinematic history.

Whedon dud an excellent job with age of ultron and the Russos are going to maje things even better, grander and more epic.
    Re-watched Get Carter (1971) for the first time in years.

Look up the definition of "hard-nut" in the dictionary and you will see a picture of Jack Carter. It's a fact.

Also, they use the cool tie-straightening thing at the very end of this clip:
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed Get Carter is a brilliant film. =D>
    Dario Argento's
    INFERNO (1980)

review_inferno_homepage-594x455.jpg

Inferno marks Argento's second entry in the Three Mothers trilogy. It's the sequel to 1977's Suspiria, one of the most acclaimed Italian supernatural horror films. While Inferno keeps much of the style and atmospheric elegance of its predecessor, mostly thanks to the enigmatic cinematography, it lacks a bit of the macabre and eroticism of Suspiria. There are some phenomenally well crafted scenes, like when our lead protagonist discovers a ballroom full of water under the floor and soon finds herself swimming in it, or when a young music student has a vision during class in which a concerto of winds and triggered lusts overtake her. But Suspiria simply had more of them.

For those who are unfamiliar with the supernatural Italian horror movies of the 70s and 80s, Suspiria and Inferno might not be a bad place to start. The first is great, the second is still good.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Gone Girl (2014)

Gone-Girl-2014-film-poster.jpgWatched it for the second time last night. Fantastic thriller combined with superb chemistry between Rosamund Pike and Ben Afflek. Pike stole the show and deserved every bit of nominations she received for her role as Amy Dune.
    David Fincher is one of my favourite directors, and this for me is one of his finest works.

4.5/5 for me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Agreed Get Carter is a brilliant film. =D>

It is indeed. Caine is at his toughest.

"You're abig man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job, now behave yourself."
    :D it has some great lines.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,189
    (To a naked Carter pointing a shotgun)

"Careful you don't use it"
    "Err the gun he means"

:))

What's bad is how the US can remake it. What's worse is how Michael Caine himself was a part of it [-(
    I have nothing against Stallone, but good god, the remake was abysmal.
    I've not seen it but the trailer looks really cheesy.

Watching the original last night, I just couldn't see how an American re-make would work anywhere near as well. The key to the film's excellence is its British identity.
    Mario Bava's
    Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga
    a.k.a.
    Baron Blood
    (1972)

1354689956_2.png

Talking to @MajorDSmythe often helps to cure the what-movie-shall-I-watch-now-disease. And as the Major suggested Baron Blood to an interested member, I decided to re-watch the film myself. Besides, Inferno (see a few posts above) had already brought me in the right mood.

Mario Bava isn't as gory as Fulci, nor as aesthetically surreal as Argento, but he certainly knows how to craft a good Italian giallo horror flick. I'm eternally thankful for Lisa And The Devil / House Of Exorcism. As for Baron Blood, I'm both a fan and a sceptic.

Joseph Cotten plays a part originally intended for Vincent Price and the lovely Elke Sommer was selected as the female lead. So far so good. Add to that a wonderful setting and a couple of truly impressive horror moments and you've got a pretty decent basis for a nightmarish horror film.

But, the good elements are unfortunately countered by some rather dull moments and the fact that most important things are told rather than shown. Compared to the visual masterpiece Suspiria or the giallo shocker The New York Ripper, Baron Blood is somewhat unimaginative and uninteresting. There's good stuff in the film but most of it is diluted by lengthy conversations that go neither left nor right.
    Nymphomaniac vol 1 a scary movie about relations and sexuality. Intelligent stuff.
    The only gripe I could have with Baron Blood is that it takes time to get up to speed. Then again, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Still prefer Lisa And The Devil, though.
    I am near positive that this is going to get a few here upset but

Phillip Noyce's The Saint.

From beginning to end this film never stops to surprise me and I just love this movie as I have for sometime. I do like the idea that all of his false names are catholic Saints and if they ever reboot the franchise that is one aspect I hope they keep that was invented for the movie only. Val is brilliant Elizabeth is hot the villain and henchmen are over the top but not bad. Like I said I loved this film and Put it near the top of my underated films that deserve a sequel (The A-team The Shadow and Stigmata are on that list)
    Agreed on The Saint and The Shadow. The latter is my favourite comic book film. I have never been a fan of The Saint series, and i'm not interested in the books, so maybe that is why I can enjoy the film. And Shue convinces in her role, unlike a certain nuclear physicist we all know of... ;)
    Did not like the Saint, but loved The Shadow. :)
    Agreed on The Saint and The Shadow. The latter is my favourite comic book film. I have never been a fan of The Saint series, and i'm not interested in the books, so maybe that is why I can enjoy the film. And Shue convinces in her role, unlike a certain nuclear physicist we all know of... ;)

I like Elizabeth Shue. A classy woman and a somewhat underrated actress.

Re The Saint film, I remember reading in Roger's autobiography that Val Kilmer later admitted to Rog that they had "messed up" in similar words.
  • mission impossible 3
    Shrugs I feel the saint has been around long enough that new ideas can be added to the myth (specifically using saint names as fake names versus using names with the initials ST) if I remember correctly the 60's show was different from the original 1920's novels and was influenced by bond. The saint film in my opinion takes elements from Bond but also I get a feel of Macgyver influence strangely enough. Like I said I enjoy the film tremendously and Kilmer was great with the accents and disguises but just my feeling
    Avengers Age of Ultron Go watch it now! :-bd
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    The Anderson Tapes - outside of Bond my favorite Connery work - Classic heist movie. If you have never seen it, it's a really good watch. And Oh yeah it also has a very young Christopher Walken.

A thief (Duke Anderson) just released from ten years in jail, takes up with his old girlfriend (Ingrid) in her posh apartment. He makes plans to rob the entire building. What he doesn't know is that his every move is recorded on audio and video tape, although he is not the subject of any surveillance

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066767/
    I'm watching The Love Punch at the moment. Half amusing, half cringe-inducing. There's some nice echo's of Bond though in the opening credits and the cinematography.
    Avengers Age of Ultron!

What a fantastic movie! Loved it and if I had money to burn I would go again! All the characters got a good equal share of the movie I felt and the story and movie went along so fast it was the end before I realised! Great film and I would highly recommend it for sure! \m/ :-bd
    Glad you liked it, @RogueAgent! :D

I went back today for sloppy seconds and liked it even more. Elisabeth Olson is SO cool!
    One thing I will say about Love Punch is that it features a scene with Pierce Brosnan at a driving range - the closest we have seen to Bond playing Golf for some time.
    Glad you liked it, @RogueAgent! :D

I went back today for sloppy seconds and liked it even more. Elisabeth Olson is SO cool!

Yeah absolutely fantastic!!! Going to take in Spooks The Greater Good next in a week or two's time! Loved the TV show so really excited to see it back especially on the big screen for the first time!