Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Affleck wasn't always a good actor. I feel like it took him many years to get there. Some of his earliest parts, like the irritating boyfriend in Mallrats, just don't do it for me. I was never too big a fan of Will Hunting either. He was also given a few films where he had to more or less hit the same note, like Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. Daredevil have been great for Affleck but got messed with by too many people. And Paycheck wasn't helpful either.

Yet somehow I've always thought of Ben Affleck as a guy with potential who, like Leonardo DiCarprio, was just waiting for the right film to come his way. Johnny Depp had been lucky enough to have Burton give him a few wacko parts to play that kept him in the spotlights. Now I'm not saying Ben Affleck is as talented as Leo or Johnny, but more recently he has shown a side of him that I quite like. I even like him in Jersey Girl, a film that many folks hate on yet works very well in my book.

This Batman thing may be a stepping stone to something a lot bigger for Affleck. I wish him well on his journey. He's had to wait long enough.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've always liked Ben, from both an acting and directing standpoint. Some attack his acting, which can be choppy at times, but he's had a lot of great roles and shown his talents numerous times.

He's brilliant in Good Will Hunting, both in boisterous comedy sections and quiet, subtle human moments that showed all the layers of emotion he could play. One of my favorite scenes is at the end of that film when he walks up to Will's door and gives a knock. A brilliant, subtle and beautiful performance.
    dalton wrote: »
    Considering he had a large hand in destroying a good portion of the city, I just don't see that happening.

It hardly matters, though. Storytelling isn't Zack Snyder's forte anyway, and this gripe with the film will probably be least of the problems the film has from a narrative perspective when it's finally released.

That was pretty unavoidable, honestly. He was vastly outnumbered, Metropolis was being wrecked by the alien technology as the Kryptonians were changing the earth's atmosphere, and Superman had to somehow stop every single one of them by himself. When two superpowered people like Zod and Superman are going at it, destruction is bound to happen, but Superman should in no way be blamed for that as he tried his best to contain a massive threat that was often beyond his means.

Of course, people are so ready to call out MoS and Superman for being a bad hero and letting the city become destroyer-again, stupid defense-but these same people have no issue whatsoever with New York's destruction in Avengers, or the destruction of the locations that will appear in Avengers 2. Double standards much?

For these superhero films, destruction is bound to happen as these superpowered individuals face massive threats, and the faster people realize that the better. I just don't see why DC gets all the hate but Marvel sails by unscathed.

You won't find a bigger critic of The Avengers than myself, so the accusation of holding a double standard with regards to that is unfounded.

Nobody said that destruction wouldn't happen. It's just that the idea that Superman would be appointed as a god after the events of Man of Steel doesn't hold water. Given his desire to protect the people of Earth and to not kill, he generally fails in both regards in the climax of that film. He shows little regard for any kind of collateral damage, which is something that many fans of Superman have taken issue with.

Possible BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DOJ Set Photo Reveals Fate Of A Major Character

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LEVITIKUZsLOUNGE/news/?a=118905
    Just watched the trailer! :-O Much darker and I fully approve!!!! :-bd
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Considering he had a large hand in destroying a good portion of the city, I just don't see that happening.

It hardly matters, though. Storytelling isn't Zack Snyder's forte anyway, and this gripe with the film will probably be least of the problems the film has from a narrative perspective when it's finally released.

That was pretty unavoidable, honestly. He was vastly outnumbered, Metropolis was being wrecked by the alien technology as the Kryptonians were changing the earth's atmosphere, and Superman had to somehow stop every single one of them by himself. When two superpowered people like Zod and Superman are going at it, destruction is bound to happen, but Superman should in no way be blamed for that as he tried his best to contain a massive threat that was often beyond his means.

Of course, people are so ready to call out MoS and Superman for being a bad hero and letting the city become destroyer-again, stupid defense-but these same people have no issue whatsoever with New York's destruction in Avengers, or the destruction of the locations that will appear in Avengers 2. Double standards much?

For these superhero films, destruction is bound to happen as these superpowered individuals face massive threats, and the faster people realize that the better. I just don't see why DC gets all the hate but Marvel sails by unscathed.

You won't find a bigger critic of The Avengers than myself, so the accusation of holding a double standard with regards to that is unfounded.

Nobody said that destruction wouldn't happen. It's just that the idea that Superman would be appointed as a god after the events of Man of Steel doesn't hold water. Given his desire to protect the people of Earth and to not kill, he generally fails in both regards in the climax of that film. He shows little regard for any kind of collateral damage, which is something that many fans of Superman have taken issue with.

That Avengers comment wasn't aimed at you, @dalton, I was just addressing an issue I've had after hearing people spit on that aspect of MoS over and over and over uncontested.

However, I don't agree with you about Superman's lack of regard for the destruction around him, as it is visible to me that he really cares. He's basically breaking into tears at the end of the fight with Zod as the military Krypotonian keeps pushing his boundaries and endangering more and more people until he has no choice but to act. Up until that point Superman was simply trying to resolve the situation with the least collateral damage possible, maybe even hoping to pacify and not kill Zod, but after a while he had to make that leap and cross that line

I don't take any issue with him taking Zod's life; in fact, it's my favorite scene of the film and one of the most powerful I've seen in a comic book film. That moment underscores a moment of crippling morality where Superman is forced to cross a line and do what he deems to be right. If he didn't kill Zod, they'd all be doomed and earth would be the start of a new Krypton, and when Zod was threatening that woman and her kid, Superman just had enough. I'm sure he saw himself and Martha in that image of a cowering mother and son, and just snapped. It's a hard decision to make, to kill the last remnant of your kind, throwing away any chance of ever connecting with another Kryptonian again. It's a massive moment where Superman discards any chances of a return for his native planet and accepts those of earth instead as those he chooses to stand by. At that point in his life, earth was home for him, and the people had grown to be like family to him, a population worth protecting. It's a powerful moment of decision that not many give its proper due. It changes everything about Superman from that point on, where he draws his line in the sand and states, "I stand with the people of earth." It's a way more compelling and interesting take on their rivalry than Donner's Superman, who straight up murders Zod and his crew in a dimensionless ending to a snore fest of a battle.

I know that if I was in Superman's situation, I'd have taken out Zod too. He didn't want to do it, just look at how he reacts afterwards, yelling in agony. Zod simply didn't give him any chance, and anyone who criticizes him for killing him is absolutely nuts. Would you rather he just submitted and let Zod oppress and wipe out earth's innocents? That'd just make you complain more about his so-called negligence as a protector. He knew Zod would always be a threat and that he could never be subdued as he proved even too much for him to handle at times. Something had to be done to ensure the future of earth, and the only way of guaranteeing that was killing Zod.

While Zod is simply doing what he was programmed to from birth-waging war with crippling military strategy-the theme of identity and purpose comes into great play at the end for Superman, really bringing his character full circle. He defies the accepted standards of what he was meant to do on his home planet and becomes his own man, making his own decisions beyond what was destined for him. By usurping the destiny he held in the minds of Kryptonians and Zod of joining them for a new tomorrow, he creates and meets his own destiny, of saving innocents who are being oppressed.

In a way, it's what Jor wanted for him all along, to do good with what he has, carrying a message of hope. Like he says to him in the film, "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

This is what BvS will play with: humans are now stumbling, but soon they'll see the good Superman wishes to do for them by the end. Again, bringing it all full circle.

Damn I need to watch this movie again.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Affleck wasn't always a good actor. I feel like it took him many years to get there. Some of his earliest parts, like the irritating boyfriend in Mallrats, just don't do it for me. I was never too big a fan of Will Hunting either. He was also given a few films where he had to more or less hit the same note, like Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. Daredevil have been great for Affleck but got messed with by too many people. And Paycheck wasn't helpful either.

Yet somehow I've always thought of Ben Affleck as a guy with potential who, like Leonardo DiCarprio, was just waiting for the right film to come his way. Johnny Depp had been lucky enough to have Burton give him a few wacko parts to play that kept him in the spotlights. Now I'm not saying Ben Affleck is as talented as Leo or Johnny, but more recently he has shown a side of him that I quite like. I even like him in Jersey Girl, a film that many folks hate on yet works very well in my book.

This Batman thing may be a stepping stone to something a lot bigger for Affleck. I wish him well on his journey. He's had to wait long enough.
    The funny thing is that the first time I saw Affleck shine was when he played an actor who played Superman in Hollywoodland. That was around the time he started directing feature films and immediately showed how good he is at that. So perhaps he was just working towards it all.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This looks like the most intelligent super hero film since Watchmen.
  • RC7RC7

Agreed. Seems like people watched the trailer, but didn't actually watch the trailer.
    First thing I thought of when I heard Batman's line. Looks like he comes from the Arnold school of logic! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=466139&d=1429415354
    I can't wait to hear what Ben's Batman voice will sound like outside of that armored suit of his.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 5,767
    I can't wait to hear what Ben's Batman voice will sound like outside of that armored suit of his.
    Just watched the teaser again, and I really dig Snider´s visual style :-). But as you mention it, @0Brady, and just for the sake of nitpicking, why do we hear an electronic voice despite the helmet having a huge opening where the mouth is?

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Robobat? ;)
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Just watched the teaser again, and I really dig Snider´s visual style :-). But as you mention it, @0Brady, and just for the sake of nitpicking, why do we hear an electronic voice despite the helmet having a huge opening where the mouth is?
    Yeah, that threw me off too.
    Arrow uses the voice changer. with just the hood and eyemask.

I'd also wager that's why they gave Batman one (why would Green Arrow have an electronically assisted voice changer while Batman has to destroy his throat, lol)

And on that note, I wouldn't be surprised if 'normal Batman' has the voice changer too, at least to some degree
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I hope non-Iron Batman doesn't have the voice changer. It didn't exactly work with the Dark Knight Trilogy (though that was Bale, not the suit, though I guess, officially, maybe the suit had one in it), and I don't think it works with either Arrow or Flash (Flash vibrating his vocal chords is a great way to use his speed, and makes his voice sound like metal being drug through a cheese grater). Why can't they just do what Kevin Conroy does? Lighter voice for Bruce, deeper voice for Batman.
    SUICIDE SQUAD: Get A Blurry Look At Jared Leto In Full 'JOKER' Costume And Makeup

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=118979

Zack Snyder Unveils The First Official Posters For BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=118966
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 5,767
    I hope non-Iron Batman doesn't have the voice changer. It didn't exactly work with the Dark Knight Trilogy (though that was Bale, not the suit, though I guess, officially, maybe the suit had one in it), and I don't think it works with either Arrow or Flash (Flash vibrating his vocal chords is a great way to use his speed, and makes his voice sound like metal being drug through a cheese grater). Why can't they just do what Kevin Conroy does? Lighter voice for Bruce, deeper voice for Batman.
    It would make sense if Batman wore a voice changer for camouflage, but I guess it wouldn´t make much sense if he wore one only as steel bat.

Dalton12 wrote: »
    SUICIDE SQUAD: Get A Blurry Look At Jared Leto In Full 'JOKER' Costume And Makeup

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=118979
    Looks splendid so far, and proves that the early rumours of Leto buffing up big time were a joke. Didn´t make sense anyhow with a beanstalk like him ;-).

Man I love those new posters. Ben looks incredible in the suit.
    Ben looks incredible
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Check out this video for EXTREME CLOSEUPS of the new Batsuit and more of the batmobile!!
    I tell you that suit looks like the comic come to life!

PYrx1Wc.png
    6b6256U.jpg?1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2429156-deandre-jordan-rolls-out-new-batmobile
    RC7 wrote: »

Agreed. Seems like people watched the trailer, but didn't actually watch the trailer.

I watched the trailer. Thought it looked pretty bland tbh, it didn't look bad but didn't look particularly interesting to me. Maybe I've been spoiled by the great trailer we got for SPECTRE.

Affleck seems like he'll be great in the role but I'm not sold on his costume. I think the bat symbol is too big (I understand that this is taking inspiration from one of the comics though so fair enough, I might not like it but it seems like all the big fans do). And while the new costume will probably allow more mobility (and better fight scenes), I liked the armored look. The best costume I've seen was the Arkham Origins one.

gaming-batman-arkham-origins-screenshot-15.jpg

468px-Batman.jpg

I thought the game itself was a big disappointment, but I really like the Origins costume. I like the logo and I like how it's body armor but it doesn't look ugly (like the Nolan costumes). I'd prefer black over grey though, just makes more sense imo, since Batman is all stealthy.

Haven't seen much of Arkham Knight (I was disappointed in City and Origins, Asylum is still my fave, so I doubt I'll get Arkham Knight full price, probably get it second hand at some point down the line) but I hope for the costume they go with something along the same lines as the Origins costume (except with black or a darker grey) rather than the skintight rubber grey suits of Asylum and City.
    I'd prefer black over grey though, just makes more sense imo, since Batman is all stealthy.
    Well, not necessarily. With the right cloth, grey can be more invisible in the darkness than black, which can stand out very much among other shadows, which are mostly not pitch black.

Christopher Reeve And Adam West Make For The Best BATMAN v SUPERMAN Trailer

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2015 Posts: 16,330
    It would have made more Sense with Keaton vs Reeve to be honest.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Or Bale vs. Routh.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    or Val Kilmer vs Ben affleck
    oh yeah cause ben played George reeves... hmmm

Anyways I am quite excited Affleck is batman
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Well theyre showing the trailer tonight at my local IMAX theater. Its typically not something that i would attend but my class tonight was conveniently made optional so I took that as a sign. Heres to hoping they show some additional footage or give away free posters or something to make my attendance worthwhile.
    You get to see the movie a week in advance