SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I just did some search on the name "Denbigh". It is derived from Welsh and Old-English and it means "small fortress". I think we also have to look at Denbigh's role in SP. I'm starting to believe he'll be the Largo of SP. The Nr.2 so to say.

I think it's likely he's SPECTRE. Number 2? I'm not sure I'd go that far. Although the structure may be quite different in this new SPECTRE. There may be several members on the tier below No.1.
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    If Waltz is not Blofeld (I think he is), going by actors that Mendes has worked with before, I'd love to have it be somebody like Spacey, Michael Shannon, Michael C Hall (worked on Broadway with Mendes). There are other better actors out there for the part of course but those are just going by previous history with Mendes

Before Waltz my money was on Simon Russell Beale who worked a lot with Sam Mendes on stage. because of his role in one of the Austin Powers movies I always doubted to see Kevin Spacey as Blofeld.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Don't see Waltz being revealed as Blofeld I think he is head of Qauntum and a Spectre agent. I don't see Waltz returning in Bond 25 I don't see him as the type of actor who does sequels. I have to also say we may have Spectre back but perhaps Blofeld is not the head of Spectre. EON are always wary of the Dr Evil Austin Powers mimic which ridiculed the character. Possibly leading to a decision not to bring back the character.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Sorry but if they turn Oberhauser into Blofeld then there truly isn’t a single shred of respect left for Fleming’s work…
    Don't see Waltz being revealed as Blofeld I think he is head of Qauntum and a Spectre agent. I don't see Waltz returning in Bond 25 I don't see him as the type of actor who does sequels. I have to also say we may have Spectre back but perhaps Blofeld is not the head of Spectre. EON are always wary of the Dr Evil Austin Powers mimic which ridiculed the character. Possibly leading to a decision not to bring back the character.

It could very well be that Blofeld is revealed as the head of SPECTRE, as played by Christoph Waltz. It'll be the first appearance of the character since 1971 (1981). But I think it could also immediately be the final, last appearance of the character. A bit like Dr. No, who was the first No.1 of SPECTRE in the old timeline, and who got killed off by Bond.

Then perhaps Denbigh could evolve into the No.1 of SPECTRE.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Sorry but if they turn Oberhauser into Blofeld then there truly isn’t a single shred of respect left for Fleming’s work…

Blofeld has been known to use aliases...
    Ludovico wrote: »

But both Oberhauser and Blofeld are characters in their own right. Blofeld can use all the aliases he wants, but surely not the name of an already existing character in 007's universe (Oberhauser was both a father-figure and ski-instructor of Bond's when he was young).

Or it's a ruse - he (Blofeld) uses that name from Bond's past to lure 007 to Austria, or wherever. That sort of thing could work, I guess.
    We know already Oberhauser/Waltz is not the father figure/ski instructo. Allegedly he's his son but nothing is less certain.
    But both Oberhauser and Blofeld are characters in their own right. Blofeld can use all the aliases he wants, but surely not the name of an already existing character in 007's universe (Oberhauser was both a father-figure and ski-instructor of Bond's when he was young).

Don't get things mixed up.
    HANNES Oberhauser is the father-figure/ski instructor.

Waltz is NOT playing HANNES Oberhauser, but Franz Oberhauser.

And Franz Oberhauser is NOT a Fleming character, so he can be anyone or turn into anyone.
  • AceHole wrote: »

But the Fleming character is Hans Oberhauser. Waltz is playing a character called Franz Oberhause. So this is not "the name of an already existing character in 007's universe."

But the Fleming character is Hans Oberhauser. Waltz is playing a character called Franz Oberhause. So this is not "the name of an already existing character in 007's universe."

C'mon. Both Austrian. Both with surname Oberhauser. Pull another leg, would you.
    C'mon. Both Austrian. Both with surname Oberhauser. Pull another leg, would you.

Of course they are related in some way. But I can see nothing wrong in that.

Kincade was never mentioned by Fleming. But his inclusion in Bond's past in Skyfall did not change the youth that Fleming invented.
  • AceHole wrote: »

... and when you get 2 people with the same surname and different first names, what does that usually mean?
    My feeling is that Franz has been dead for some time. In any case he didn't seem to have left a lasting impression on Bond, judging by the way he looked at the picture.

Well we know that Hannes Oberhauser is involved in the Bond movie universe, through the trailer (The Order of Temporary Guardianship paperwork) so the father figure element remains intact. Waltz is playing a character called Franz Oberhauser, obviously related but too young to be Hannes. He is only 11 years older than Craig - I find it highly unlikely that someone in their early to mid-20s would be granted temporary guardianship of a 12 year old.

So they're including Fleming's H. Oberhauser, as a father figure - just as Fleming described.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727

... and when you get 2 people with the same surname and different first names, what does that usually mean?

It means someone is being smugly sarcastic for the sake of it & that Babs Broccoli is out of her depth making creative decisions about a fictional legacy that her similarly surnamed pops had more understanding of and managed to run far better.
    Next.
  • JCRendle wrote: »

Well we know that Hannes Oberhauser is involved in the Bond movie universe, through the trailer (The Order of Temporary Guardianship paperwork) so the father figure element remains intact. Waltz is playing a character called Franz Oberhauser, obviously related but too young to be Hannes. He is only 11 years older than Craig - I find it highly unlikely that someone in their early to mid-20s would be granted temporary guardianship of a 12 year old.

So they're including Fleming's H. Oberhauser, as a father figure - just as Fleming described.

Exactly.
    JCRendle wrote: »

Exactly.

Isn't that wonderful? :-)
    I don't think there's ever been a Bond film shrouded in so much mystery. Which is even more remarkable considering we've got this thing called the internet! As Bill Shakespeare might say, "To be Blofeld or not be Blofeld", that is the question? Plus I still find it amusing that the name of the bald Germanfella (first name Def) playing the villain on the cable car in Austria spells Blofeld in anagram form! Surely a coincidence only!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It does not spell Blofeld in anagram form. His name is Detlef Bothe, it is not even close.
    Detlef Bothe, it is not even close.
    It's close, but it only has one L.

Detlef Bothe = et the BlofeD
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So Blofeld is now an ET working for the feds?
    All these bald men are just as many red herrings I think.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,015
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I don't think there's ever been a Bond film shrouded in so much mystery. Which is even more remarkable considering we've got this thing called the internet!

Ahem. Let's rather say that once your secret is no more a secret for thousands of people, ironically it seems you've got less trolls who come and say "Hey I know that.." just for the sake of spoiling : you have less "spoiling power" when you know already a lot of persons know what you know...

I fear it will happen in the few weeks before the release though, like it did for Skyfall. Alas I expect spoilers on the Internet the last 2 or 3 weeks before the release. FYI, we had a major spoiler given by the host on a French radio show already...

Let's say that so far the fans who read the leaks are very respectful of those who want to stay spoiler-free. And that means we let some people boast aboutsome conclusions that are very wrong [even though even reading the leaks doesn't mean we're 100% sure about everything :)] , but now it seems we're in the 95% zone...] But the "Leaks thread" is starting to leak a bit too now, some people don't realize they post info, hindsights, or confirm info, outside this thread, that could come only from reading the leaks. Some others should not bait for it, more and more will do this otherwise.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I don't think there's ever been a Bond film shrouded in so much mystery. Which is even more remarkable considering we've got this thing called the internet!

Ahem. Let's rather say that once your secret is no more a secret for thousands of people, ironically it seems you've got less trolls who come and say "Hey I know that.." just for the sake of spoiling : you have less "spoiling power" when you know already a lot of persons know what you know...

I fear it will happen in the few weeks before the release though, like it did for Skyfall. Alas I expect spoilers on the Internet the last 2 or 3 weeks before the release. FYI, we had a major spoiler given by the host on a French radio show already...

Let's say that so far the fans who read the leaks are very respectful of those who want to stay spoiler-free. And that means we let some people boast aboutsome conclusions that are very wrong [even though even reading the leaks doesn't mean we're 100% sure about everything :)] , but now it seems we're in the 95% zone...] But the "Leaks thread" is starting to leak a bit too now, some people don't realize they post info, hindsights, or confirm info, outside this thread, that could come only from reading the leaks. Some others should not bait for it, more and more will do this otherwise.

Should this not be posted in a topic I once created? About the ethics behind the SonyLeaks? This is foremost a positive spirited topic in which most posters are merely.....wonderin. It's filled with open ended "What if" questions, that joyfully enhances excitement and is almost never containing spoilers.
    What if a line of dialogue goes

"SPECTRE have been in the shadows for many years, we've been watching, manipulating, secretly running governments all over the world. We have had many great leaders. Maibaum, Harwood, Mather, Blofeld, White, but they are all in the past. I am the power now. My name will spread fear throughout the criminal underworld. I am Oberhauser"
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 14,800
    JCRendle wrote: »
    What if a line of dialogue goes

"SPECTRE have been in the shadows for many years, we've been watching, manipulating, secretly running governments all over the world. We have had many great leaders. Maibaum, Harwood, Mather, Blofeld, White, but they are all in the past. I am the power now. My name will spread fear throughout the criminal underworld. I am Oberhauser"

I doubt it. That would be cheating. Blofeld IS SPECTRE, not just a former chairman.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 97
    I don't know if anyone's already observed this, so please forgive me if I'm retreading old ground, but from studying the trailer, the fully-lit chap at the head of the table has an alcove containing a statue immediately behind him... spectre-table.png

... unlike the dimly-lit Christoph Waltz-shaped chap who has an open double-door him behind him and is flanked on his left by another seated attendee in this shot: spectre-ft-600x338.jpg

It could mean any number of things - massive continuity error, two different scenes made to seem like one scene for the trailer, Waltz NOT playing Blofeld because he's not chairing the meeting, Oberhauser/Blofeld not being in charge of the organisation (yet), etc, etc - but what do you lot think?
  • AVBAVB
    Waltz is Blofeld. All this speculation is meaningless. My only guess is that Oberhauser is his family name, and Blofeld is his criminal underworld name. If they don't use the Blofeld name, then he's still Blofeld just reinvented and renamed - IOW head of Spectre, meaning that there won't be some Blofeld reveal in Bond25. Which would be pointless.
    Somebody else might be "playing" Blofeld until Oberhauser is reveealed as Blofeld, a bit like in Batman Begins Ducard is finally revealed as Ra's Al Ghul. Or maybe Waltz is at the other extremity of the table, not facing us in the first picture.