SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

I was rather for the TB Blofeld, but had no idea of who could play him. I thought maybe Simon Russell Beale, although he is short and British (since the Craig era villains have been played by foreign actors). But if, and that is still a big if, Waltz is Blofeld, then they went for the OHMSS look.
    I don't think he will play Blofeld, in fact I think he is another red herring (and again, maybe his baldness is inspried by the novel MR) but I think we need to add Peppe Lanzetta to the list.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I have a question about actress Brigitte Millar. Like with Christoph Waltz, I have a feeling that publicity around her role in "SPECTRE" is deliberately downplayed. Her name is still not mentioned on IMDB, despite several attempts to enter her name and the role she's playing in "SPECTRE".

Could it be -and now a spoiler comes- that her role of
    Irma Bunt
    is heavily linked to Ernst Stavro Blofeld? And that EON Productions deliberately downplay her role, limiting public appearances, similar to Waltz still being very low-profile on "SPECTRE"?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 14,832
    I have a question about actress Brigitte Millar. Like with Christoph Waltz, I have a feeling that publicity around her role in "SPECTRE" is deliberately downplayed. Her name is still not mentioned on IMDB, despite several attempts to enter her name and the role she's playing in "SPECTRE".

Could it be -and now a spoiler comes- that her role of
    Irma Bunt
    is heavily linked to Ernst Stavro Blofeld? And that EON Productions deliberately downplay her role, limiting public appearances, similar to Waltz still being very low-profile on "SPECTRE"?
    Possible. But she would look very different than the original character. She can still be repulsive, but in a different way.

Anyway, I checked on her page on IMDB and SPECTRE is not even in her filmography. Are we even sure she is in it?
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    @marketto007 and @Coldfinger After Waltz' statement in the GQ interview was repeated in The Guardian, I do hope that this article was of some significance.

Mark Strong would be perfect for it! Might be we only find out about Blofeld after Spectre, in Bond25 or even later.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I already said this once. My dream plot would be if Blofeld turns out to be a totally different and unexpected actor, not yet announced. :D
    @marketto007 and @Coldfinger After Waltz' statement in the GQ interview was repeated in The Guardian, I do hope that this article was of some significance.

Mark Strong would be perfect for it! Might be we only find out about Blofeld after Spectre, in Bond25 or even later.

Not really. The shaved head is the only thing he has and that's not even essential to Blofeld!

I still think CW is bluffing. I can't see how EOn could hide another actor to play ESB. It would have been leaked by now surely in this media saturated age we live in.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I still think CW is bluffing. I can't see how EOn could hide another actor to play ESB. It would have been leaked by now surely in this media saturated age we live in.

What Waltz is doing is called marketing.
    He keeps this topic alive. That's it.
    In the end he will be Blofeld for sure, no matter how often he denies it.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,552
    I've mentioned it before, but it has been done - and recently. Look at Interstellar - It wasn't leaked beforehand that
    Matt Damon
    was going to be in the film. Or
    Samuel L Jackson
    in Iron Man or
    Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise
    in 21 Jump Street?
    JCRendle wrote: »
    I've mentioned it before, but it has been done - and recently. Look at Interstellar - It wasn't leaked beforehand that
    Matt Damon
    was going to be in the film. Or
    Samuel L Jackson
    in Iron Man or
    Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise
    in 21 Jump Street?

Many thanks for the spoiler tag as I haven't seen Interstellar yet so I'm glad you used it! I trust it's worth seeing coming from the genius that is Chris Nolan.
  • RC7RC7

I really don't get this point of view. It's like Glastonbury booking the Stones and then saying, 'Surprise! Yeah we got the Stones, but McFly are the real headliners!'
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    I think we're all aware there have been a fair few script' issues' with this movie. The idea that through all these rewrites, the plot point of a 'secret' Ernst has been retained is very unlikely IMO.

And I'm sure EON are more than familiar with the 'Mandarin' fiasco of Iron Man 3. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has seen IM3 (lucky you!) but if the idea actor for a part is set up as a particular character in all the marketing and then the rug gets pulled from under the audience, the main feeling you come away with is disappointment.
    RC7 wrote: »

I really don't get this point of view. It's like Glastonbury booking the Stones and then saying, 'Surprise! Yeah we got the Stones, but McFly are the real headliners!'
    Exactly. It would be to say the least lacklustre casting. Might as well have Andrew Scott as Blofel.

IF it is not Waltz, then it is someone with the same stature as Waltz. Not some British actor typecast as villain.
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Sure, I understand quite some folks will be disappointed when it turns out Waltz isn't playing Blofeld. Personally I think Mark Strong is of the same stature, but I take it from @Ludovico that not everyone shares that opinion.

Might be Blofeld simply isn't cast yet? Introducing SPECTRE as an organisation and immediately revealing its chief might be a bit too much. In the 60's he was actually introduced in YOLT. Dr.No didn't even have a cameo of him and his cat. Could be EON even saves his revelation until somewhere in the series of the next Bond actor and using this opportunity to set up the "Bond universe" with merely the introduction of the organisation.

Still, this probably would cause some degree of a "Mandarin fiasco" for some folks, I guess.
    Well, we don't know for sure if Waltz is Blofeld or not. He denies it, but so did Naomi Harris about Moneypenny. Strong is a decent bloke and a good enough actor, but not exactly of the same reputation or stature as Waltz. I will also add not the same level of skills. I could picture him as a villain because that's what he usually plays. But not Blofeld, which needs more.

It is also possible that Blofeld has not been cast yet. If he has to be cast in Bond 25, it is likely that he will be, like all of the Bond villains of the Craig era, a veteran actor not from the UK or the English speaking world.

That said I think the most plausible theory is a Jekyll and Hyde twist: Oberhauser is Blofeld and thus played by Waltz.
  • RC7RC7
    Sure, I understand quite some folks will be disappointed when it turns out Waltz isn't playing Blofeld.

Not having Waltz as Blofeld will elicit neither surprise, nor excitement, merely disappointment. This will be about the journey as much, if not more, than the reveal, I feel. For me all roads lead to Waltz as ESB.
    Like I said, so far it seems to me it will be a Jekyll and Hyde twist: the twist everybody knows about.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Still sticking with Marc Strong. So he and Dan were pictured together in the Morocco mountains stopping to pose for some villagers the official line "Marc and Daniel's have been best friends since their time together on Our Friends In The North, Dan is godfather to Marc child. They were hill walking together as friends". Morocco that's a coincidence that's where the final scene's to be shot are taking place. Could it be then that the prior trip was rehearsal of the action sequence and that we get the big Blofeld reveal at the end. In my head I picture Strong being like Marlon Brando as Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. Living like a king in a mountain village psychotic delusional who thinks he is a god.
    So far there's not much evidence, if any, that Mark Strong is Blofeld. It would be a rather strange casting, contradictory to what we have been having since the beginning of the Craig era: non British veteran actors. Waltz's background fits Blofeld's far more as well. Because Blofeld had some Germanic blood, or claimed to have.

In the end, all Strong has going for him is his friendship with Craig and his bald head. Neither are canonical or essential to Blofeld. And like many said he does not have the same stature.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Ludovico wrote: »
    So far there's not much evidence, if any, that Mark Strong is Blofeld. It would be a rather strange casting, contradictory to what we have been having since the beginning of the Craig era: non British veteran actors. Waltz's background fits Blofeld's far more as well. Because Blofeld had some Germanic blood, or claimed to have.

In the end, all Strong has going for him is his friendship with Craig and his bald head. Neither are canonical or essential to Blofeld. And like many said he does not have the same stature.

..and movie audiences have just seen him in Kingsman so can't see EON casting a guy connected to another spy franchise
    It would be lazy casting.
  • RC7RC7

..and movie audiences have just seen him in Kingsman so can't see EON casting a guy connected to another spy franchise

Plus, if you'll excuse my language, who would give a flying fuck if Strong is Blofeld? Don't get me wrong, Blofeld is a known entity, but he's no Darth Vader. The idea of an audience reacting to a Strong/Blofeld reveal is just a non-starter. Waltz will be a great villain as 'Oberhauser' period, who just so happens to be Blofeld. I think the real question is 'how' is Oberhauser, Blofeld. Not 'who' is Blofeld.
    Well they'd react. Most would say: who the heck is that guy? Did they cast him because he was bald? Other would say: it's whatshisname who always plays villains.
  • RC7RC7
    Well they'd react. Most would say: who the heck is that guy? Did they cast him because he was bald? Other would say: it's whatshisname who always plays villains.

Precisely.
    Like I said, it'll be a Jekyll and Hyde reveal. Most likely anyway. not to spoil it on anyone who hadn't read the classic, but Jekyll and Hyde are one and the same. Oh and count Dracula is a vampire.
    but Jekyll and Hyde are one and the same. Oh and count Dracula is a vampire.
    Well, that's spoiled my plans for a 19th Century horror novel marathon!

If Waltz is not Blofeld (I think he is), going by actors that Mendes has worked with before, I'd love to have it be somebody like Spacey, Michael Shannon, Michael C Hall (worked on Broadway with Mendes). There are other better actors out there for the part of course but those are just going by previous history with Mendes
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    If Waltz is not Blofeld (I think he is), going by actors that Mendes has worked with before, I'd love to have it be somebody like Spacey, Michael Shannon, Michael C Hall (worked on Broadway with Mendes). There are other better actors out there for the part of course but those are just going by previous history with Mendes
    An American Blofeld?

I just did some search on the name "Denbigh". It is derived from Welsh and Old-English and it means "small fortress". I think we also have to look at Denbigh's role in SP. I'm starting to believe he'll be the Largo of SP. The Nr.2 so to say.