The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• chipsticks wrote: »

I don't want to look like I'm forever displeased, but that pattern really doesn't work with that cut and for some reason Daniel looks foolish in it. Not Bondian at all. I liked it better when I thought it was just a navy suit.
    chipsticks wrote: »

I just hope this is a hell of a movie because I'm going to need something to distract me from this terrible tailoring.
    What's wrong? Try everything - suit, shirt and tie and a bizarre

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think Jany Temime should consult @RC7 for advice on how to get a suit properly cut for the occasion. This is getting embarrassing.
    In the end, even though, I dont think those suits are as bad as some here think they are, but certainly QOS did the best job. What happened to Lindy?

• edited March 2015 Posts: 163
    I wouldn't be so quick to point fingers at the costume designer. Daniel has an important word to say in these matters and my guess is that starting with Skyfall, the suits were made more after his preferences.
    I wouldn't be so quick to point fingers at the costume designer. Daniel has an important word to say in these matters and my guess is that starting with Skyfall, the suits were made more after his preferences.

If true - I think he should take some serious advice.
    Doubtless they will be appearing on a Tom Ford sale rack near you soon!

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I think the compensate for the fact Daniel is short a regular fit suit with more length in the jacket shows up how short he is alongside his co stars I think with the skinny fit it give the impression he is taller and to show he muscular to again distract from the fact he is a short man. Kind of like the opposite for what Anthony Sinclair was asked to do for Connery when they wanted to make him look like he had a smaller frame because Fleming was against a body builder being Bond.
    I think the compensate for the fact Daniel is short a regular fit suit with more length in the jacket shows up how short he is alongside his co stars I think with the skinny fit it give the impression he is taller and to show he muscular to again distract from the fact he is a short man. Kind of like the opposite for what Anthony Sinclair was asked to do for Connery when they wanted to make him look like he had a smaller frame because Fleming was against a body builder being Bond.

Except he isn't. Whilst not as tall as previous Bond actors, he's between 5'10"/5'11" - Not someone who most people would consider short.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    JCRendle wrote: »

Except he isn't. Whilst not as tall as previous Bond actors, he's between 5'10"/5'11" - Not someone who most people would consider short.

I just want to point out the following:

Berenice Marlohe is 5.775 ft in height. I don't think she was wearing heels in the shower scene with Craig. She seemed taller than him in that scene. She wasn't wearing shoes on the boat going to Silva's Island. Craig was and he was the same height as her.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Even if Daniel is a dwarf, he dwarves others with his screen presence.
    Even if Daniel is a dwarf, he dwarves others with his screen presence.

No doubt.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    bondjames wrote: »

Berenice Marlohe is 5.775 ft in height. I don't think she was wearing heels in the shower scene with Craig. She seemed taller than him in that scene. She wasn't wearing shoes on the boat going to Silva's Island. Craig was and he was the same height as her.

skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-7874.jpg

Uh... ?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I was more thinking of this:
    bond_shower_sex.jpg
    Berenice-Marlohe-and-Daniel-Craig-in-Skyfall-e1358722039113.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Honestly, Craig has never seemed short to me. At all.
    I don't see him as being dressed to make him seem "tall."

I do think the suits fitting too tightly are not attractive. But that has been mentioned a million times.

I like the ski and casual clothes we have seen Bond in SPECTRE wear so far. I haven't seen enough shots of him in suits to make a real decision on those yet.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Honestly, Craig has never seemed short to me. At all.
    I don't see him as being dressed to make him seem "tall."

I do think the suits fitting too tightly are not attractive. But that has been mentioned a million times.

I like the ski and casual clothes we have seen Bond in SPECTRE wear so far. I haven't seen enough shots of him in suits to make a real decision on those yet.

Well, they do... Both the cut of his wardrobe in SF along with the slight height-increasing dress shoes are a little too obvious (see the London scenes from SF, especially where he is running into the government house).

Now as I've said before, I think Dan is excellent and his ability & presence make up for any vertical issues, so it doesn't bother me. But you do notice that they have not used medium-long shots since he was cast as 007 - simply because you cannot frame a 5'10"and-a-bit leading man the same way you frame & shoot a 6'+ guy.
  • JCRendle wrote: »

Anything under 6 ft for a man is short, in my opinion, and since Bond is supposed to be taller than average I don't find it weird a lot of people consider him short. The tight tailoring doesn't do him any favors, it just makes him look stubbier.

Though as people have mentioned, Craig's acting more than makes up for it.

Anything under 6 ft for a man is short, in my opinion, and since Bond is supposed to be taller than average I don't find it weird a lot of people consider him short. The tight tailoring doesn't do him any favors, it just makes him look stubbier.

Erm, are you sure about that? In my experience most people are pretty poor at estimating height.
    This goes back to my days working part-time in real estate security as a student (where such things are obviously an issue) and I noticed that all the recruitment staff, bar one, overestimated my height by a good 1-2 inches.
    Would you consider Jude Law a short man, then? (I think he's 5'11")
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,727

skyfall-movie-screencaps.com-7874.jpg

[/quote]

With Dan's expression that photo is just plain wrong... :-j
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 372
    AceHole wrote: »

Erm, are you sure about that? In my experience most people are pretty poor at estimating height.
    This goes back to my days working part-time in real estate security as a student (where such things are obviously an issue) and I noticed that all the recruitment staff, bar one, overestimated my height by a good 1-2 inches.

For a Brit, I think Jude Law is less than an inch away from being 'short', but in general I'd say he's beneath what I consider to be average.

It doesn't really bug me though, but I prefer actors looking rather statuesque.
    Anything under 6 ft for a man is short, in my opinion,

Exactly, in your opinion. The truth is that the only places where the average male height is at least 6 ft are the Scandinavian countries, Netherlands and ex-Yugoslavia.
    I just want to point out the following: Berenice Marlohe is 5.775 ft in height.

You doubt that Craig is really as heigh as certain websites claim he is, but accept that Marlohe is 5.775 ft as a fact?

This is a trustworthy site:
    http://www.celebheights.com/s/Daniel-Craig-1166.html
    http://www.celebheights.com/s/Berenice-Marlohe-3763.html
    AceHole wrote: »

For a Brit, I think Jude Law is less than an inch away from being 'short', but in general I'd say he's beneath what I consider to be average.

It doesn't really bug me though, but I prefer actors looking rather statuesque.

Gulliver has been busy, it seems...

Though the only place where Jude Law would statistically be considered below average height is Croatia & surrounding nations, apparently.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    What does everybody think about what will Bond be wearing in Morocco

And What does everybody think about that turtle neck sweater in the teaser poster, where will we see it in the film. I love Daniel's look in that photo.

I suppose that in Morocco he will be wearing something like the shirt we saw him wear in the Mexico interview and some navy pants.

I'd love to hear other thoughts about these two topics including anything else you find interesting discussing! ;) :) :)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Exactly, in your opinion. The truth is that the only places where the average male height is at least 6 ft are the Scandinavian countries, Netherlands and ex-Yugoslavia.

I was going to say something similar. The average height in most Western countries (except the ones mentioned) for an adult male is right at 5'10"-11". that's not opinion, it's a fact.
    I just want to point out the following: Berenice Marlohe is 5.775 ft in height.

You doubt that Craig is really as heigh as certain websites claim he is, but accept that Marlohe is 5.775 ft as a fact?

This is a trustworthy site:
    http://www.celebheights.com/s/Daniel-Craig-1166.html
    http://www.celebheights.com/s/Berenice-Marlohe-3763.html

It's a known fact that shorter leading men exaggerate their height. You'll never see them say they're shorter than they are. I saw DC in NYC on Broadway and he did not look all that tall to me (I was about 20 ft away from him).

Berenice is on record saying she has lost roles due to her height (being too tall) so she may in fact be downplaying her height.

I like DC. I think he has screen presence and is the best Bond since Connery.

However, the man is somewhat vertically challenged. That's plain to see.

His suits are too tight in SF - that is also plain to see and has been mentioned several times on this site and elsewhere (regardless of it being in vogue, as has been mentioned by @doghouse with examples and by countless others here, there are ways to make the currently fashionable slimline suit work with tailoring- Jany Temime is not doing it properly. Whether that is being done on Craig's request is also something we do not know. Actors do have input into the way they look on screen).
    double post
  • Anything under 6 ft for a man is short, in my opinion,

Well I live in the Netherlands, so I don´t know why people are acting like I said a terrible thing, because it was a perfectly reasonable observation on my part.
    It's a known fact that shorter leading men exaggerate their height.
    Celebheights.com doen't give a damn about what actors claim about their height. (To be more accurate: when trying to estimate someone's height, they start with the person's officially listed height, but then throw that number out if it contradicts with photos, videos, etc.) That website is the be-all and end-all when it comes to the height of celebrities, exactly because it's trying to be as objective as possible.
    he did not look all that tall to me (I was about 20 ft away from him).
    Exactly. Daniel isn't tall.... but he isn't short either. His height is completely average in the western world.
    Berenice is on record saying she has lost roles due to her height (being too tall) so she may in fact be downplaying her height.
    If you want to compare the height of Berenice and Daniel, then look at this photo and notice their shoes: http://www.celebheights.com/pr1/daniel-craig.jpg
    Anything under 6 ft for a man is short, in my opinion,

Well I live in the Netherlands, so I don´t know why people are acting like I said a terrible thing, because it was a perfectly reasonable observation on my part.

Kerels met lange tenen, weet je :> Kunne nie allemaal zo uitgerekt zijn als in NL, hè :P
    It's a known fact that shorter leading men exaggerate their height.
    Celebheights.com doen't give a damn about what actors claim about their height. (To be more accurate: when trying to estimate someone's height, they start with the person's officially listed height, but then throw that number out if it contradicts with photos, videos, etc.) That website is the be-all and end-all when it comes to the height of celebrities, exactly because it's trying to be as objective as possible.
    he did not look all that tall to me (I was about 20 ft away from him).
    Exactly. Daniel isn't tall.... but he isn't short either. His height is completely average in the western world.
    If you want to compare the height of Berenice and Daniel, then look at this photo and notice their shoes: http://www.celebheights.com/pr1/daniel-craig.jpg

The point is that Craig is not a tall actor. That's a fact.

That does not mean we don't like him.

That does not have anything to do with his suits or clothes (the relevant discussion point here) either.

For a leading man, he looks short next to Berenice, who is a leading lady in SF, regardless of their comparative heights or whatever. The photo provided in the shower by @dominicgreene is not generally how he appeared when standing next to her in their brief scenes together. He generally looked shorter or the same height, as per the photos I posted.

I don't have an opinion on it either way.
    The crux of the matter is that Jany Temime needs to put her foot down and get Dan in a proper outfit, for heavens' sake.