The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Apparently in the novelisation of GE John Gardner mentions the DB5 is Bond's personal car, but I cannot find that in the Kindle version. Is it only in the actual copy?

See http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Aston_Martin_DB5

"Although its origins are not mentioned on screen, the novelization of GoldenEye states that Bond purchased this DB5 as his own personal vehicle."
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,564
    The issue of the left hand/right hand driving Aston Martin in CR/SF is a point that I've frankly filed under "Eon's Contempt for Continuity" and stopped thinking about. For the most part they seem to want to pretend that every movie exists on its own without any reference to what's gone before...unless they change their minds and find it convenient to acknowledge that oh yes, Bond WAS married once...and oh yes, Q has a basement room where old jet packs and stilleto tipped shoes are kept. The "Contempt" file is a fairly thick one and it could easily send one around the bend to think too much about it.... so I don't. But it will be interesting see how Spectre and Blofeld are handled in the upcoming film... They could just say, "Hey, reboot rules are in effect and Bond's never dealt with an organization by this name before." But somehow, I don't know that they'll play it this way. It's pretty obvious that Craig's Bond has had several adventures between QoS & SF. Obviously, in at least one of those adventures Bond used a right hand driving Aston Martin with an ejector seat. When? "That would be telling..."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    "That would be telling..."
    Who is Number 1?!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DRush76 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that today, it takes three nights for a person to travel from Istanbul to Trieste by train. The passenger would have to change trains in Sofia. He also revealed that before World War II, it took the old Orient Express train at least 36 to 40 hours to travel from Istanbul to Trieste. It took longer after World War II, due to the train's efforts to avoid traveling through the Soviet bloc via Greece.

Yet . . . it took Bond and Tatiana 12 to 15 hours to travel from Istanbul to near the Yugoslav-Italian border by the Orient Express in 1963. Odd.

I looked it up on the net for you. Funnily enough the trip from Istanbul to Trieste takes 58 and a half hours, while the other way, Trieste-Istanbul takes from four and a half and up to eight and a half hours. How mysterious.

I have not been to Istanbul, but have taken the train from Trieste to Athens, and you only travel through Croatia and Serbia to get there.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    Why does Solitaire thump Bond with her handbag at the airport?

Is she genuinely not on his side at that point, or putting on a show for Kananga's goons, or giving Bond a deliberate chance to escape?

Can anyone answer this? It's a moment that has never made sense to me.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Neither moment from LALD cam be explained. Sloppy editing perhaps.

It has to be Solitare that drops the queen of cups. nothing else makes sense. Leiter doesnt know anything about tarot cards and he could always just tell Bond himself.

At the airport I THINK shes trying to provide a distraction. She knows that her power is gone and shes useless ti Kananga, so this move makes sense. Maybe they edited out a few seconds where Bond winks at her or something to indicate theyre both in on it.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    "That would be telling..."
    Who is Number 1?!

You are, Number Six.
    they have a draft of the script I believe, not necessarily the final script. I haven't read it either.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I am not a number! I am a free Man!
    I wonder... is it possible to be a Bond fan yet NOT be a Prisoner fan? I mean, for us seasoned folk?
    Why does Ruby say its true and giggle as Bond drops his kilt in OHMSS? And why do they think he doesn't like women?
    Ah. I see. Does he act homosexual? All of them say that they thought he didn't like women.
    I thought it was because he had four balls..err bezants ;)

Ahhahahahahahahahahahah!

:))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I wonder... is it possible to be a Bond fan yet NOT be a Prisoner fan? I mean, for us seasoned folk?

Ahhahahahahahahahahah! =))
    In TMWTGG Bond is climbing the scaffold in Scaramangas fun house while doing that he drops his gun. Then Bond found the mannequins and used it to kill scarmanga.

So the question is did scarmanga keeps the mannequins gun loaded? Or did bond have an extra clip of bullets and just used the mannequins gun to kill scarmanga?
    In Diamonds are Forever, Bond meets with Tiffany Case and smuggles the diamonds inside the chandelier out in Franks' body. At what point did Leiter switch them to fakes? And how did the CIA get the real ones?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    In Diamonds are Forever, Bond meets with Tiffany Case and smuggles the diamonds inside the chandelier out in Franks' body. At what point did Leiter switch them to fakes? And how did the CIA get the real ones?

If you've seen the film then you'll know it's never explained. As with so much of DAF poor editing and sloppy directing from Guy Hamilton make this the clear winner of worst Bond film. We never find out how the diamonds are obtained by Felix. You just have to make your own assumption up.
    Adding a few very good lines, some beautiful sets and scenes do not a good Bond film make.

You just have to make your own assumption up.

Well considering where the diamonds were hidden I'm not sure I want to guess how felix got them! ;)
    I was just watching FRWL again and for the life of me I can't understand what the man on the gonadal says while passing by Bond and Silvia. Anyone know ? Thx
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I always thought it was something like. ......
    "Great sport, this Punting "
    This has bugged me for years. At 0:45, WTF does Bond say??

What's funnier is that immediately after he's talking normal again.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think he says something like.
    " And Strangways didn't think the interference could be coming from here?"
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I think he says something like.
    " And Strangways didn't think the interference could be coming from here?"

I think its:
    " And yet you say Strangways didn't think the interference could be coming from here?"

You missed 'and yet you say' which Sean says so quickly that the rest is hard to hear too
    This scene has always bothered me:

Two questions:
    1) What drink does Bond order at 0:14? Sounds like something and soda
    2) What does Bond say the the German who's car he trashed at 0:25? Is he saying good evening in German?
    I believe it's a Mount Gay Rum with soda, and he says Guten Abend (Good evening) to 'Goldfinger'

Craig was a bit of a mumbler I'm afraid
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 7,568
    1. Well it sounds like vodka martini with soda :-O
    2. Yes he says Guten abend
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,813
    NicNac wrote: »
    1. Well it sounds like vodka martini with soda
    clint_ew.gif
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Enough messing about. He asks for half a shandy
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This has bugged me for years. At 0:45, WTF does Bond say??

What's funnier is that immediately after he's talking normal again.

He is speaking in tongues.
    é) You're right. He says "Guten Abend", which, if I haven't forgotten my German, means "Good Evening".