The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

In FRWL how did Bond know where to drive the track to, after he took it on from the man who was expecting Grand?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Only my opinion, but I always thought the driver had it marked on a map, to
    Get Grant to his boat ?
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Only my opinion, but I always thought the driver had it marked on a map, to
    Get Grant to his boat ?

It could be an explanation but we never see it. Most likely Bond threatened him to tell him the route, but we don't see it either.

Not a question about a past movie but one about this community actually: who here first made the suggestion or the hypothesis of casting Christoph Waltz as a villain and/or Blofeld?

I think it may have been @Gustav_Graves in one of the casting threads, but I am not very good at researching in these here forums.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not terribly sure, to be quite honest. I'm sure many of us recommended him at some point, but whoever the first was, I haven't the slightest idea.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,778
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm not terribly sure, to be quite honest. I'm sure many of us recommended him at some point, but whoever the first was, I haven't the slightest idea.

I concur. Waltz was and is such a great choice that I think a few posters suggested it more or less around the same time. Trying to track down the very first post would be a hell of an errand. It's like trying to track down the first person to come up with the code-name theory.
    Anybody wants to take the credit?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Anybody wants to take the credit?

I'll take the credit for being the first (that I saw, anyway) to mention that Hugh Laurie would make a fantastic Bond villain, but in terms of Waltz, I've no idea. First come, first serve, I suppose.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Pretty sure it was Gustav.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    jake24 wrote: »
    I believe your right, He's been wanting Blofeld to Return since Skyfall came out.
    Murdock wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    I believe your right, He's been wanting Blofeld to Return since Skyfall came out.

It does not mean he was the first one to suggest Waltz. Let me check...
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 14,816
    January 2013 on "So who's going to play Ernst? thread:
    I have mentioned Daniel Day Lewis before. Great actor to play a sophisticated yet psychotic villain like Blofeld. A villain like Silva, but who's less in the field. Another great option, and a total hot moneymaker now in the Tarantino films, Christoph Waltz.

And same January 2013, @Gustav_Graves mentions it again (fairly often actually and my reaction to it:
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote:
    Benedict Cumberbatch is way too young. Blofeld should be older than Bond. Older, wiser, smarter AND a physical match. Ciaran Hinds might be too old now, but 10 years ago I would have said he IS Blofeld. Daniel Day Lewis would be a good choice as a OHMSS looking Blofeld. Gary Lewis too. For a TB looking Blofeld, right now I have no idea.

I love actor Ciaran Hinds. He was especially good in the new politica miniseries 'Political Animals'. I loved him. The thing is, I think the Bond producers would likely opt for a more famous actor, one with as much starpower as Javier Bardem.

Moreover, I think the Bond producers are already writing the screenplay around a particular actor, like they did with 'Skyfall'. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these three actors would get the job:

- Christoph Waltz (55 years of age, won one Oscar): He was memorable as Colonel Hans Landa in 'Inglourious Basterds'. And I think it would be my pick for Blofeld.
    - Philip Seymour Hoffman (44 years of age, won one Oscar): He hasn't done so many villains, only the one 'Mission: Impossible III', where he played the true psychotic Owen Davian.
    - Daniel Day-Lewis (54 years of age, won two Oscars): Daniel Plainview ('There Will Be Blood') and Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting ('Gangs Of New York') were unforgettable villain roles. Daniel has a tendency to be very picky with screenplays, so I am curious if he would go onboard the production of a blockbuster movie. It will typecast him more firmly in the future.

The biggest obstacle for Ciaran Hinds is his age. At 60, he is a bit too old (and I know I want a mature Blofeld, but I imagine in his late 40s at the youngest). Let's not forget that they cast fairly unknown in two of the three Bonds Craig played in. Even Javier Bardem, while a famous actor, is not the most famous actor. I doubt Hoffman will play Blofeld, because of his role in MI III. My bet would be on Waltz or Day-Lewis, but I wouldn't rule out lesser known actors. And this is of course if they are planning to do a movie with Blofeld in the near future. If he only shows up for say Bond 25 or 26, then who knows who is going to play him.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited May 2015 Posts: 4,312
    I can better that, also January 2013, but a few posts before:
    renno61 wrote: »
    i think theres a good chance of Blofeld being in next movie,simply because of the final scene in skyfall.the whole scene echos back to the early bonds,moneypenny office,through the padded door,the desk with painting behind it and the handing over of the top secret file. if blofeld is in i would like Christoph Waltz to play the part.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    I can better that, also January 2013, but a few posts before:
    renno61 wrote: »
    i think theres a good chance of Blofeld being in next movie,simply because of the final scene in skyfall.the whole scene echos back to the early bonds,moneypenny office,through the padded door,the desk with painting behind it and the handing over of the top secret file. if blofeld is in i would like Christoph Waltz to play the part.

Brilliant. Thanks for the find. More a wish than a guess, but still very perceptive from @renno61 .
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    October 2012, page 1 of the "If Blofeld were to return to the modern Bond films...who would play him well?" thread @4EverBonded must have been the first to suggest Waltz:
    Christoph Waltz (Oscar winner, Inglorious Basterds) might do very nicely.
    Continuing off of the previous conversation, I had another non-film related question for you guys.

I plan on doing a Bondathon here shortly, and I know there's an infographic out there of how many bad guys each actor has killed, how many martinis each actor has consumed, etc. Are there any other bits of trivia like that that don't really exist, but could be collected through a Bondathon? I figured I'd offer to look for something small that big time fans such as us would enjoy, so if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears. The last time I did a marathon of the films, I wrote a very in-depth like/dislike list for every scene, line, etc. in a good portion of the films, so this time I want to spice it up and do something different. If you guys can think of something cool, do let me know.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @Creasy47 How about a list of modified sound effects in the earlier films when they did the Blu-Ray restoration?
    @PropertyOfALady, oh, I'm nowhere near technically skilled enough to be able to note subtle differences between the VHS/DVD/blu-ray copies. I was thinking something much more simplistic, but it is a good idea! Just not for someone like me, haha.
    @Birdleson, any variation where Bond is greeted, or just variations by the main villains/henchmen?
    @Creasy47 How about a list of modified sound effects in the earlier films when they did the Blu-Ray restoration?

My area of expertise. :))
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,457
    ^ indeed, this is definitely something left in the more than capable hands of my buddy @Murdock. How about you start a Bondathon at the same time I do, and you spot those while I look for any instances of the suggestion @Birdleson came up with? :D

I'm just looking for something extra to do with it. Like I said somewhere the other day, I also think I'm going to try and finally do a ranking for the films. I don't know if I'll be successful at all, but we'll see.
    Yes I do need to do a proper Bondathon soon. Not sure when I'll start it though. :p
    Can do. I'm moving in a week (and I won't have Internet), so I think I'll save my Bondathon for then, but I'll be sure to start typing up the instances that I spot and will be sure to transfer them over as soon as I'm up and running. Might think up another thing or two to keep an eye out for to tally up for fun.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @Creasy47 I'm doing a Bondathon right now (up to The Living Daylights) and I'm looking through the trailers and noting which films claim to be better than the previous ones. (Quite a few)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make a detailed list of every occurence of Sir Rog raising his eyebrows or making his famous smile at the villains.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,457
    So the suggestions so far are:

# of instances Bond is greeted ("We've been expecting you," etc.) by a villain.
    # of instances Bond interrupts a woman's shower/bath.
    # of instances Bond says/is told "You're late." to some extent.
    # of instances Sir Rog raises eyebrows/smiles at the villains.

I may try out the first two so I have something to constantly watch out for, and save the Moore ones for a different time. Any other suggestions?
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Here's another one.
    Bond always seems to be barking, "You're late" at someone, and others snap it at him too.
    Count the number of times we hear any character, crab at another, that "You're late!"
    @timmer, interesting, I edited my previous post to add that in. I'm definitely going to try a few of these, so any more suggestions are greatly appreciated, and I'll be sure to let everyone know what I'm going to try and look for before I move on Saturday, because without Internet, I can't go online/on Netflix to watch movies, so it'll be a perfect time to unwind with a Bondathon.
    @Birdleson, sounds awesome, what'll you be looking out for, anything in particular?
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 3,236
    Just watched Dr. No. What the devil does the photographer girl hit Quarrel with?

Also, @Birdleson, I think that only happens once during DN. The Three Blind Mice are about to shoot him, but a car comes by and they're forced to wait.