The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just watched Dr. No. What the devil does the photographer girl hit Quarrel with?
    The flash bulb of her camera. She smashes it into the table and scratches his face with it.

Goldfinger - Is the music being played in the ice rink inside the Fontainebleau "The Girl with The Sun in Her Hair" by John Barry?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Murdock wrote: »
    Just watched Dr. No. What the devil does the photographer girl hit Quarrel with?
    The flash bulb of her camera. She smashes it into the table and scratches his face with it.
    That always seemed like it should be more damaging/painful than Quarrel lets on.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sark wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    That always seemed like it should be more damaging/painful than Quarrel lets on.
    Quarrel seemed like the type of guy who's been in many scrapes in his time. A scratch on the face is just a walk in the park for him. :))
    I've got a quick question. In Goldfinger, after Tilly misses Bond with her "lousy shot" why does Oddjob turn around and smile approvingly? This never made sense to me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've got a quick question. In Goldfinger, after Tilly misses Bond with her "lousy shot" why does Oddjob turn around and smile approvingly? This never made sense to me.

I always put it down to despite Bond being a spy, Oddjob knew Bond was tailing him. The missed shot only confirmed it for him. Whether he knew about Tilly is a different matter.
    It's never explained of course. More of an assumption, but the smile as he looks back up the mountain kind of tells us, he's not silly.

One that occurred to me the other day having watched A View To A Kill, how did General Gogol know that Zorin had eliminated OO7?
    You can't imagine that Zorin would announce it. Mi6 are hardly going to make light of the fact. Nothing that ruins the movie, but one that popped in the old noggin.

I have another question for AVTAK as well. Having murdered Tibbett, something that appears to anger Bond, and later killing Chuck Lee, after Bond and Mayday struggle in the mineshaft we are looking at the prospect of a great duel. After the water washes the Bond and Mayday into the mine, they pop up having forgotten their differences because Zorin double crossed his employees including May Day. Seems like a weak truce on both sides considering their past. Maybe more of an observation than a question. But I thought I'd share it anyway.

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Benny wrote: »
    One that occurred to me the other day having watched A View To A Kill, how did General Gogol know that Zorin had eliminated OO7?
    You can't imagine that Zorin would announce it. Mi6 are hardly going to make light of the fact. Nothing that ruins the movie, but one that popped in the old noggin.

I always assumed the KGB were keeping an eye on Zorin's activities, especially as he was providing them with the blueprints for the microchips that were resistant to electromagnetic pulses.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138

I always put it down to despite Bond being a spy, Oddjob knew Bond was tailing him. The missed shot only confirmed it for him. Whether he knew about Tilly is a different matter.
    It's never explained of course. More of an assumption, but the smile as he looks back up the mountain kind of tells us, he's not silly.

I have another question for AVTAK as well. Having murdered Tibbett, something that appears to anger Bond, and later killing Chuck Lee, after Bond and Mayday struggle in the mineshaft we are looking at the prospect of a great duel. After the water washes the Bond and Mayday into the mine, they pop up having forgotten their differences because Zorin double crossed his employees including May Day. Seems like a weak truce on both sides considering their past. Maybe more of an observation than a question. But I thought I'd share it anyway.

I will be honest, and some will hate, the truth is the AVTAK is probably the weakest written Bond movie. It locations and pacing are naff and it should have been so much more with Walken as the villain. Its just painfully 80's and of its time as well. Most Bond's have timeless quality because there is nothing too of its day about them. But the soundtrack, the neon colours of the clothing its a real pop art Bond movie. To answer your question it's probably just a hole in the story.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited June 2015 Posts: 5,080

I will be honest, and some will hate, the truth is the AVTAK is probably the weakest written Bond movie. It locations and pacing are naff and it should have been so much more with Walken as the villain. Its just painfully 80's and of its time as well. Most Bond's have timeless quality because there is nothing too of its day about them. But the soundtrack, the neon colours of the clothing its a real pop art Bond movie. To answer your question it's probably just a hole in the story.

It's not really the "truth", rather your opinion. I still can't believe I have to point this out.

In fact, I would go as far to say that AVTAK is pretty airtight, story wise. I think @Mallory gives as good an answer as any- the KGB are always rather suspicious.

It's not really the "truth", rather your opinion. I still can't believe I have to point this out.

In fact, I would go as far to say that AVTAK is pretty airtight, story wise. I think @Mallory gives as good an answer as any- the KGB are always rather suspicious.

Yeah I also got the impression that the KGB had been keeping an eye on Zorin. Gogol even tells him that "nobody ever leaves the KGB".
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,965

Bond had to stop the bomb from blowing up silicon valley. Yes in hindsight he should have fought it out with May Day but he didn't care he knew he had to stop the detonator from going off to prevent millions of people from being killed.
    Since we're talking about AVTAK. Here's a question.

Why did Roger Moore do AVTAK?

For real he wanted to leave after FYEO, he came back for Octopussy to compete with Sean so there's a reason why he did Octopussy.

But what was the reason for him to do AVTAK? Was it that he did it for Cubby? Did he do it so the fans and critics wouldn't think he only came back to beat Sean? What was the reason the true reason he did AVTAK?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883

I'll have to agree with this assessment. AVTAK has always seemed a little 'naff' to me. As if they weren't really trying. Not sure why. It's dated badly in places too, unlike some of the early 70's Bond films that still look fresh to me (except for 70's fashion). I don't know if they cut back the budget or what, but something didn't gel from my perspective. It could have been much more than it ended up being.

@fjdinardo, I think Sir Rog came back because OP was such a success. He was the default Bond and had been successful in his last one (more so than in FYEO which did not do as well commercially as MR), so having vanquished Connery at the box office, I guess EON just decided he should come back. I don't think Moore wanted to call it quits anyway....a lot of it was negotiating games with EON....he loved Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »

@fjdinardo, I think Sir Rog came back because OP was such a success. He was the default Bond and had been successful in his last one (more so than in FYEO which did not do as well commercially as MR), so having vanquished Connery at the box office, I guess EON just decided he should come back. I don't think Moore wanted to call it quits anyway....a lot of it was negotiating games with EON....he loved Bond.

Very interesting. I have been a Bond superfan for 11 years now and I'm still learning new info everyday.

Who can blame Roger for wanting to do more Bonds? I am one of the very few who actually loved AVTAK and was very happy roger did it. All 7 of Rogers movies I wouldn't change at all.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'm just curious to hear an opinion... do you think Bond will go on forever?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

As long as movies are a prominent source for entertainment and as long as the audience like it, yes.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm just curious about how they can keep going on. But at what point does it end? 20 years from now we're gonna be seeing 30+ film box sets. But will the franchise eventually run out of ideas?

I would hope they could get to at least 30 films. But with the 25th films being the next one idk it could end on that. I hope not
    If you think about the world, there's always new stuff going on, and Bond has a tendency to draw from the real world. I think as long as there's new world events, fresh writers, and new actors, Bond'll stick round.
    I have a question about The Living Daylights: Koskov "defects" in order to blame Pushkin for Smiert Spionem so that Bond can kill Pushkin and Koskov can complete his arms with Whitaker, yes?

And Whitaker uses the down-payment diamonds to buy opium and make more money while giving Koskov weapons?
    I have a question about The Living Daylights: Koskov "defects" in order to blame Pushkin for Smiert Spionem so that Bond can kill Pushkin and Koskov can complete his arms with Whitaker, yes?

And Whitaker uses the down-payment diamonds to buy opium and make more money while giving Koskov weapons?

Yes and yes
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Forever?

James Bond, you mean? Well, forever is a mighty long time for a film franchise to continue, but I hope it does. I might not see all the films though if it does :(

I've never understood what the sunglasses that Moore wore in AVTAK do. You know, when he spies on Zorin writing Stacey a check. As far as I can tell they're outfitted with twisty knobs for funzies.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    They are polarised ( to remove reflections from the window). Although
    I agree it's not shown very well.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I never understood the geography in the GE PTS. Bond jumps off the dam and enters through the vent. However we never see the dam in the background when he escapes the facility nor do we see the facility or runway when he jumps off the dam. How many miles of vent did he crawl through?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The base was designed by Ryanair, so Bond's landing area was miles
    Away from its central hub. :D For myself, I just say they're on the other
    Side of the mountain we can't see. ;)
    I never understood the geography in the GE PTS. Bond jumps off the dam and enters through the vent. However we never see the dam in the background when he escapes the facility nor do we see the facility or runway when he jumps off the dam. How many miles of vent did he crawl through?

That's because the geography of the PTS makes absolutely no sense. They picked those locations simply because they looked cool. If they could get away with setting the mountain jump in outer space that's what we would've gotten.
    I'm also not sure what Ouromov was trying to achieve. He stages a mock execution of 006, but then his soldiers try to kill 007. Presumably Ouromov would need Bond to get away to report what he'd seen?
    I'm also not sure what Ouromov was trying to achieve. He stages a mock execution of 006, but then his soldiers try to kill 007. Presumably Ouromov would need Bond to get away to report what he'd seen?

No because then years later when they plan to destroy London's economy with the Goldeneye Bonds not there to stop them.
    But why stage the shooting of 006, if you are going to kill Bond right after?