4.OP
    5.AVTAK
    1/FYEO
    2/LTK
    3/TLD
    4/OP
    5/AVTAK
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    LTK is prob most overrated bond film on this site.

TLD
    FYEO
    OP
    LTK
    AVTAK
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

TLD
    FYEO
    OP
    LTK
    AVTAK

=D>
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883

TLD
    FYEO
    OP
    LTK
    AVTAK

Quite frankly, I think that's SF (and I'm not a resident SF basher) and OHMSS (very true to the book, but it's almost eulogized here, including its score and battle finale).
    ...well some truth but LTK is just a poorly made film. Ironically though it IS one if my favorites. I'm sure that doesn't make sense lol.
    bondjames wrote: »

TLD
    FYEO
    OP
    LTK
    AVTAK

Quite frankly, I think that's SF (and I'm not a resident SF basher) and OHMSS (very true to the book, but it's almost eulogized here, including its score and battle finale).

Agree about SF but OHMSS is a true classic.
    OP
    TLD
    LTK
    FYEO
    AVTAK
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

TLD
    FYEO
    OP
    LTK
    AVTAK

How is it overated? If people on this site (knowledgable Bond fans) like it, then that makes it an 'educated' opinion. That would make it 'fairly' rated and assessed in my book.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    So if the majority feel a certain way, that opinion becomes set in stone? How do you explain films that gain a following overtime? were they worse films before people agreed they were good and that made them better? I don't understand.
    I respect everyone's opinion, especially on here, because most of us are die hard Bond fans with very well educated opinions.

I posted up my Glen ranking on another thread but this one seems more appropriate so I'll throw it up again. This is as of 8 months ago (the last time I saw the films) so it may be different here in a few months:

1. Octopussy / The Living Daylights
    3. A View to a Kill
    4. For Your Eyes Only / Licence to Kill

I like them all, but find the bottom two the most flawed / least enjoyable overall. I suppose this is the best place to give some quick thoughts on Glen as a 007 director.

John Glen:
    He's very workmanlike, as I'm sure others around here have mentioned. There's very little visual flair or distinct auteur fingerprints on his Bond films. Many of his detractors would likely replace "workmanlike" with "bland," but I'm keeping the former, as I find that he gets the job done and does it well. I greatly enjoy all 5 of his Bond films. Even the issues that I frequently mention having with LTK are only Glen's fault by association. His problems with actor Timothy Dalton are well noted on their second film, but it doesn't show on screen, luckily.

I also think that, overall, he was the best director for Moore's Bond. While I maintain that Moore delivered 7 great performances in the role (always giving 100% and succeeding) I think Glen directed Moore the best. I think he found a way to ground and add a sense of danger to Moore's performances while still allowing Moore's Bond to breathe and exist. The resulting 3 performances are all fantastic, and even "old Moore" of the latter two films is great as an aging veteran agent.

Glen also handled action better than almost any director, and his 5 films contain many of the series' best action sequences (in fact, I'd probably slot TLD as the best Bond film ever purely in terms of action).

Workmanlike, but solid. I like John Glen.
    Very good points. A fair assessment.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've had the Glen films ranked thusly, for quite some time -

1. LTK
    2. TLD
    3. FYEO
    4. OP
    5. AVTAK

both FYEO and OP change around sometimes. Glen works well if there is a strong story/screenplay to support him, otherwise his "bland" directing style becomes apparent.

I think all his films have decent stories, apart perhaps from AVTAK.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Indeed @Getafix
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    To be fair, one of the reasons I hold AVTAK in such high regard is the cast of characters. Walken as Zorin is my favorite villain of the series, and I think he and Grace Jones make an extremely weird but extremely enjoyable pairing. The story is basically GF 2.0, but I think it's a good story nonetheless, and it works. I don't watch Bond films for the plot anyways usually, more for the what and the who.

Also there's a lot of weirdness in AVTAK in general. I embrace it, although I see why some don't care for it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Based on my last rewatch I am tempted to rank AVTAK in my top 10. And perhaps ahead of FYEO, but I need to see FYEO again to be sure. FYEO is a very good outing but it has a soundtrack that is far below the greatness of Barry's work on AVTAK. And the villains are much better, Zorin and May Day are among my favorite characters in the entire franchise.
    I don't hate AVTAK. There's still a lot to like in it. I still think overall it's Glen's worst though. I like Walken and Grace Jones a lot, but the Bond girl is beyond bad. And the fire truck chase in San Fran is awful.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,189
    For me "ma carrrr", the fight in Stacey's house and the fire engine chase are the lowest points of a fairly weak film.

...oh and Moore bedding Grace Jones and making bad jokes about dropping soap in the shower.

...and Moore asking Fiona Fullerton if he'd like it (the massage) harder while in the Jacuzzi.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    The fight in Stacey's house cracks me up. It's just all pretty weird. Barry's score is absolutely magnificent, I should add.

Instances of weirdness (this list will be short, as it's been awhile since I've seen it) that I enjoy:
    * The "jump scare" cat
    * Everything Christopher Walken does
    * Walken's horse trainer (Dr. .......?)
    * Grace Jones being in the movie
    * Jones' wardrobe
    * May Day vs Walken sexual wrestling match
    * Bond bedding May Day
    * The fire truck chase
    * Roger's age
    * The MI6 regulars all being old

I also love that the film is bizarre and funny at times as well as being bizarre and just plain dark and brutal as well. I just love AVTAK
    1. Licence To Kill
    2. The Living Daylights
    3. Octopussy
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. A View To A Kill

I don't feel that A View To A Kill is the worst film in the canon but it's definitely the weakest of the five Glen films. Overall, I like Glen's work with the series - I love his editing work in On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Moonraker. His direction, which, at times can be substandard, is still overall "workmanlike" as someone above me said. He got the job done well at least 85% of the time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    So many members here are so good with the funny!
    =D>
    Octopussy is to Bond like The Voyage Home is to Star Trek, that is, an imperfect movie featuring most all the elements that made you love the series in the first place crammed into 2 hrs of pure fun.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,686
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Octopussy is to Bond like The Voyage Home is to Star Trek, that is, an imperfect movie featuring most all the elements that made you love the series in the first place crammed into 2 hrs of pure fun.

I don't know the exact quote but "You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!"
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Wel, you know how I feel about that one, too. Not fun for me.
    Too much LDS in college?
    Haha, sorry, couldn't resist.
    Look, DN, LTK & Star Trek: The Motion Picture all rock my world, but sometimes I just wanna LOL, y'know?

AVTAK with no love

heres my ranking of the Glen films

1. Octopussy
    2. AVTAK
    3. FYEO
    4. LTK
    5. TLD
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    1. LTK
    2. AVTAK
    3. OP
    4. TLD
    5. FYEO
    OP and AVTAK were two of Glen's better looking films IMCO.
    1. FYEO
    2. TLD
    3. OP
    4. LTK
    5. AVTAK
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

I agree. It has a few nice moments but I always find myself underwhelmed by it. I think Glen was probably the wrong choice for director. He did a commendable job with his first four because they were more traditional Bond films. They wanted to shake up the established formula for LTK and Glen was clearly a part of that establishment. Perhaps someone with a different perspective was needed to tell this very personal story instead of playing it safe again.