"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Captial One cup winners

chelseaWinCapitalOneCup15_large.jpg

CHELSEA!
    Congrats to Chelsea!

Hoping the Norwich boys will get a 7th straight win tonight to take us up to 2nd in the league! :D
    Well? Me and my big mouth! :)) That is the Championship all over! A fantastic set of results both home and away? To then lose at home against a team who were in the bottom 3! Credit to Wigan for getting a result away from home. I guess it was just going to be one of those nights tonight. The one consolation I have is at least Ipswich lost tonight also! ~X( This is what a supporter of a Championship side looks like if anyone is wondering? :))
    Now for goodness sake Norwich, please lets get back to winning ways today please? [-O<
    Benny wrote: »
    Captial One cup winners

chelseaWinCapitalOneCup15_large.jpg

CHELSEA!

special-one-laughing.jpg
    Get in my Norwich boys! Only team in the top 7 yesterday to bag a win! 2nd best goal difference and only a point now off the top 2 automatic places!!!!!! \m/ :-bd
    I am guessing their are a few Man Utd fans getting a ribbing today?
    I sure hope so.
    doghouse wrote: »
    I sure hope so.

It is nice to have a fellow poster on this thread! Looking at this and previous pages? It is more like a diary?!!!! :))
    last night Jose "park the bus" Mourinho got what he deserved in the Champions league, after the sending off of Ibrahimovic [in my opinion Ruiz and Costa were both far more deserving in their behaviour] by not besting Paris Saint Germain who actually came to play football while Chelsea was content with a 0-0 or 1-1. PSG did well with their ten men and looked often to be the team playing with eleven and Chelsea with ten. A grand day for football.

The other game suffered a stupid referee, a penalty and a red card for the same offense does kill any chance of a decent game. And Bayern, one of the favorites for the title, did make the difference count with 7-0. Mourinho can learn a lot about football from the Bayern coach.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 7,500
    The mighty supreme, totally best, and only interesting league, The Premier League, sure teaches the rest of Europe a lesson this season. :))
    boo.
    Chelsea are still the greatest team in football. I don't care what anyone says. You're wrong.
    Forever Blue!
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    The mighty supreme, totally best, and only interesting league, The Premier League, sure teaches the rest of Europe a lesson this season. :))

Oh no, @Jobo has that Barcelona-shaped chip back on his shoulder. @Benny - we can't help the fact the rest of the world loves English football, can we? It's just the way of the world.
    Chelsea are still the greatest team in football. I don't care what anyone says. You're wrong.
    Forever Blue!

Blues!

I'll be at the Southampton match this Sunday, hopefully the boys rebound nicely and can go ahead and get the Prem title.
    Forever Blue!

"Greatest team in football"? :-O Now that's some statement! :)) Got anything to back it up with?

RC7 wrote: »

Oh no, @Jobo has that Barcelona-shaped chip back on his shoulder. @Benny - we can't help the fact the rest of the world loves English football, can we? It's just the way of the world.

Maybe not, but your ignorance an lack of interest for where proper football is played can always be salvaged somewhat...
    Certainly in Europe English teams have fallen behind, Man Uniteds recent decline has contributed to a degree. Alot of big teams in England are in transition or coming to the end. Chelsea are the best team in England and that's coming from a Man united fan. Problem is for Chelsea is they don't have the Competition they need in the league, i personally think Chelsea have not been made to work for which ultimately will be there league title. Hence when playing in Europe they are not playing well enough.
  • RC7RC7
    Maybe not, but your ignorance an lack of interest for where proper football is played can always be salvaged somewhat...

What's 'proper' football and who exactly is being ignorant? Most English football fans I know have a vested interest and knowledge of most European leagues and a decent portion of world football. English football itself extends way beyond the EPL, we have previous League and Cup winners as far down as the fourth tier of our league system. We have cup winners who get relegated and relegated teams beating Champions. This all combines to deliver the idea of 'English' football for most fans. The EPL is just one part of that, although an interesting part given that any team can beat any other, and do, on their day. Football is too multi-faceted in my eyes to determine interesting and decent football as a team who can win 5-0 every other week.
    Proper football in the EPL you mean.
    Lets be honest, we all think our team is the best. And our league is superior. Its a no win situation.
    Chelsea and the EPL are the only ones I care about.
    Glory and the A-league come second.
    EPL is great because of the parity. Other leagues just don't have that. The top few teams on the continent are fantastic, RM, Barca and Bayern are so far from the rest that it's silly. But that is also whats makes it boring to a lot of people.
    doghouse wrote: »
    EPL is great because of the parity. Other leagues just don't have that. The top few teams on the continent are fantastic, RM, Barca and Bayern are so far from the rest that it's silly. But that is also whats makes it boring to a lot of people.

Yes, I hear that argument a lot. Only problem is that it's, at best, a not very well thought out statement. When was the last time a team other than United, City and Chelsea won the Premier League? 03/04. When was the last time a team other than Barcelona, Real and Atletico won La Liga? 03/04! :) People also say that the general level in the Premier League is higher. That argument only lasts until the second rank teams in La Liga starts beating second rank teams in England in european competitions. Which they do. Regularly. :) In La Liga we have had teams going from Champions League qualification one year to relegation the next. And by the english formula, that's apparently what constitutes a brilliant, entertaining league isn't it? :))

Thanks to twenty, thirty years of excellent worldwide marketing, the English league still has the highest global appeal and the most healthy television rights. That has nothing to do with the general quality of the football being played though… And the league has lost its soul long ago. Its completely driven and survives only on foreign investors and players. The only "English" element left is the glorification of 'rugbyesque', brutal football, with no real flair or style. Elsewhere we are able to see football as a beautiful game of skill, talent and art, would you believe…

What's 'proper' football and who exactly is being ignorant? Most English football fans I know have a vested interest and knowledge of most European leagues and a decent portion of world football.

If that is the case, they are experts in hiding it… - "Chelsea and the EPL are the only ones I care about." - "As for players in other countries and leagues who do the same? Good on them i say, but i do not follow other leagues in Europe whether it is players or not."
    English football itself extends way beyond the EPL, we have previous League and Cup winners as far down as the fourth tier of our league system.

As do other leagues… and Im fully aware of that fact. Can't see how it brings anything relevant to this discussion however...
    Nice to see some other posters on this thread?!! I have been going out of my mind!!!!! 8-}
  • RC7RC7
    You really are bitter about the status of the EPL aren't you @Jobo? I don't know any English football fans so concerned with the public image of another league, most are at best ambivalent.
    You really are bitter about the status of the EPL aren't you @Jobo? I don't know any English football fans so concerned with the public image of another league, most are at best ambivalent.

seriously!

Now 'bitter' is a strong word. Too strong! :-j

But I do enjoy myself when the British teams' mediocrity is revealed for the world to see. Its a matter of amusement more than anything.

And that so called 'bitternes' can't even be compared with the outrage I meet from English football fans when somebody dares to claim that their league is not the leading force of the world, and the British football culture not as perfect as you claim it to be. It was after all you who immediately made a personal remark on my behalf after what was a simple joke from me... And it is not the first time on this forum... :)
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 7,653
    The EPL is a brilliant growing ground for quite a lot of talent, most of it foreign, which is proven by the presence of the English national team in international matches, they rate as average not the best of the world.

But as for Chelsea's performance last night it was lackluster at best and due to Mourino's strategy we never got to see what they really can do. I have seen Chelsea do better than last night for me it was the coaching that was poor and aimed at not losing instead of winning. This time rightfully Chelsea payed for their anti-football with getting chucked out of the competition.

A small amount of games in the EPL are worth watching but the same goes for most of the European competitions, there is generally quite a lot of average to poor matches unless you are a fan but even then I would expect some realization that while it is your own club the quality is lacking.

I am a lifelong Ajax fan and have been treated well with four titles in a row but some were more deserved than others. I have seen dramatic matches and brilliant ones like were they beat Barcelona. Being a fan is tough sometimes.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 260
    Well therein really lies the difference. Parity doesn't mean all teams are competing for the championship, it means the gulf between top and bottom is smaller, and this is the EPLs strength. The mid table teams are much more competitive relative to the top than the other leagues. Nobody blinks when Newcastle beats Chelsea. La Liga is probably second in this regard, and League One and Serie A are practically unwatchable outside a couple teams. Bundesliga is not bad but hard to get the matches on tv.

I will watch any of the EPL games on tv and enjoy it, whereas that isn't true of the other leagues.
  • RC7RC7

Now 'bitter' is a strong word. Too strong! :-j

But I do enjoy myself when the British teams' mediocrity is revealed for the world to see. Its a matter of amusement more than anything.

And that so called 'bitternes' can't even be compared with the outrage I meet from English football fans when somebody dares to claim that their league is not the leading force of the world, and the British football culture not as perfect as you claim it to be. It was after all you who immediately made a personal remark on my behalf after what was a simple joke from me... And it is not the first time on this forum... :)

Definitely bitter, mate.
    Well? It appears we managed to beat ourselves today?!!! :-w
    Gutted for you
    Tight at the top think forest will have a late charge
    Hope you still get promoted as need 6 points next season