The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

I think people are nitpicking.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 188
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think @Villiers53 was purely responding to comments about suits showcasing perfectly formed arses (not my priority for a suit) & Lagerfeld.

Bond's preferences were intentionally left open ended in SF ;)

There is a difference between saying that a suit accentuates someone's physical features and calling someone gay-looking in an insulting manner based on the clothes someone is wearing.
    What are you saying - that the moment someone comments on an actor's attractiveness, everyone is allowed to make derogatory remarks?

You guys are right: that's not the topic of this thread. I just resent the fact that I'm being blamed here.
    I don't mind Craig's outfit in either of the two photos below. Notice the trouser cuff width compared to some of the new photos we've been seeing:

article-0-02F6EC89000005DC-933_468x638.jpg
    daniel-craig-quantum-of-solace-11.jpg

I like those two outfits. Would they suffice for the "refined, classically British" look the traditionalists are calling for?
    The second one more than the first. Trousers are very baggy on the first. Second also has nice roping on the sleevehead.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    This is what you get for Italy.

I don't think we should be too harsh on our Italian brethren.
    They are capable of producing some very understated classy stuff. George Clooney wears
    quite a lot of Armani and I think he nearly always looks quite elegant.
    Furthermore I thought that Zegna did a pretty flawless job on Clooney for 'The American' - both in the casual and smart stakes.
    That said, I think the fashion forward 'Pitty Peacock' look holds nothing for Bond.
    As for the "live with it" comment -sorry but I thought this was a discussion forum?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    roko wrote: »
    I think @Villiers53 was purely responding to comments about suits showcasing perfectly formed arses (not my priority for a suit) & Lagerfeld.

Bond's preferences were intentionally left open ended in SF ;)

There is a difference between saying that a suit accentuates someone's physical features and calling someone gay-looking in an insulting manner based on the clothes someone is wearing.
    What are you saying - that the moment someone comments on an actor's attractiveness, everyone is allowed to make derogatory remarks?

You guys are right: that's not the topic of this thread. I just resent the fact that I'm being blamed here.

I'm not saying anything and I'm sorry if that is how it appeared. I was just attempting above to diffuse something that appeared to be misunderstood with a bit of light humour, to get us back on track. We should really be discussing the suits and I don't think anyone intends anything malicious here - at least not what I've read to date.

Regarding the two photos I posted earlier, I agree with @doghouse, the second is far superior to the first. I like the jackets in both cases, but the 2nd is more how I would like Craig's Bond to dress. Suits him well. It's modern enough and yet suitable for traditionalists like myself.

@Sark & @boldfinger, nothing would impress me more than if Bond took some cues from Kingsman. However, I think there is a risk of appearing staid. It's a fine line. Kingsman was making a point (including the umbrellas and the brogue/oxford distinction) - so it worked. Almost like teaching the plebs a thing or two about English class.

Bond needs to be conservative I think, but not necessarily traditional. Slightly progressive, but understated. As I said earlier, he's not going for the full out John Steed English brolly/bowler look.

I personally think the outfit he's wearing in Italy is quite flamboyant stylistically, almost intentionally & unecessarily. If it wasn't black, we'd notice it much more clearly.

@Villiers53, I agree completely re: Italian wares. Clooney does look absolutely great in his suits. It's all about the tailoring, the fabrics and the cuts.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 163
    I personally liked the suits in QOS the most. I think they looked modern, while still elegant and made Bond look like an international citizen, much like Brosnan's version. They would've worked better with the DB10 as well, as the new Aston has a more futuristic look to it. Daniel's outfits during that era in general were very on point.

Quantum-Midnight-Suit.jpg
  • When one considers the imagery thus far, I can't help but wonder to what extent product placement is driving this garish, over dressed look.
    Sunglasses, gloves, boots, tie bar, turn back cuffs, watch etc....Definitely a case of more is best.
    007 may be in danger of becoming a mannequin for merchandisers.
    Doubtless the rewards for the brands are potentially high but the downside is to degrade the Bond brand.
  • RC7RC7
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder to what extent product placement is driving this garish, over dressed look.

I was having a similar discussion with @Bondjames regard the vehicles for the chase in Rome. Such a shame that product placement deals mean we won't see an Italian classic, of which the breadth is simultaneously enormous and beautiful.
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    so this guy is not an actor but Bellucci's hairdresser

10848452_540304746109514_1371089100_n.jpg

http://websta.me/p/926618871303254513_348953339
    He may want to consider turning his styling talents towards himself....Just saying. :)
  • chipsticks wrote: »
    so this guy is not an actor but Bellucci's hairdresser

10848452_540304746109514_1371089100_n.jpg

http://websta.me/p/926618871303254513_348953339

Thank God he's not modelling Daniel's next pair of trousers!
    He may want to consider turning his styling talents towards himself....Just saying. :)
    That's what I thought. What are those pants?
    @Villiers - you can, of course, say what you want, but you would be well advided, if you would throw in an "IMO etc" and not state your "facts" as god given truth. Like this, its less lecturing.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Germanlady wrote: »
    @Villiers - you can, of course, say what you want, but you would be well advided, if you would throw in an "IMO etc" and not state your "facts" as god given truth. Like this, its less lecturing.

Me thinks he doth protest too much. ;)

Despite Connery's watch in Goldfinger, I'm not a fan of the NATO/G10 style of watch strap at all.
  • Germanlady wrote: »

Thank you. Consider me "well advided".

• edited February 2015 Posts: 2,598
    http://cdn04.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/craig-quantum/daniel-craig-quantum-of-solace-11.jpg

Damn, that Olga is so cute and beautiful. I really want her to return to a Bond film before Craig departs the role. I liked her character in QOS, a damaged but independent, strong woman.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I rhink, they try hard to get exactly the style they have. Most likely, thry are really pleased with the redult, too. This is what you get for Italy. Live wih it. No amount of complaining will change a thing.

This sort of comment is completely unhelpful. It's a (thinly) veiled "shut up." Of course what people say in this thread is highly unlikely to have any impact on the producers-but one could say that for every thread on MI6. This logic could be used against literally any criticism. This forum exists to overanalyze and nitpick the books/films. This thread exists to (over)analyze and nitpick the wardrobe of SPECTRE. Live with it. Of course, this is all just "IMO" ;)
    I like those two outfits. Would they suffice for the "refined, classically British" look the traditionalists are calling for?

Considering that one of the traditionalists posted it as a good example I should think so.
    @Sark & @boldfinger, nothing would impress me more than if Bond took some cues from Kingsman. However, I think there is a risk of appearing staid. It's a fine line. Kingsman was making a point (including the umbrellas and the brogue/oxford distinction) - so it worked. Almost like teaching the plebs a thing or two about English class.

Yes, it's true that Kingsmen was almost self-parody. We don't want Bond becoming like someone's grandfather, a sartorial time capsule of whatever was the best year of their life. Perhaps a rule of thumb would be for Bond not to attempt anything that hasn't be in good taste for a decade. That's more than enough time for him to avoid any particularly dated trends, while not being stuck in the past.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    This is what you get for Italy.

I don't think we should be too harsh on our Italian brethren.
    They are capable of producing some very understated classy stuff. George Clooney wears
    quite a lot of Armani and I think he nearly always looks quite elegant.
    Furthermore I thought that Zegna did a pretty flawless job on Clooney for 'The American' - both in the casual and smart stakes.
    That said, I think the fashion forward 'Pitty Peacock' look holds nothing for Bond.
    As for the "live with it" comment -sorry but I thought this was a discussion forum?
    Moreover, this is by far the most entertaining thread in a long time. So keep it up and be not humble.

Craig is too short to wear double breasted suits. The lapels are also too wide.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    The things I like so far:

- Single breasted Chesterfield coat (my favourite type of coat), worn on boat in London
    - Shirt cocktail cuffs worn in Rome - great throwback to Connery
    - Rome sunglasses - I prefer this type over the aviators
    - Nato watch strap

The things I'm okay with:

- Austria winter outfit
    - Rome funeral overcoat
    - Rome shoes

The things I don't like:

- Shirt collar pin
    - The fit of the suit - it's an improvement over Skyfall, but both jacket and trousers are still a bit tight. Also, the shirt shouldn't be visible below the waistcoat:
    l9yrA44.jpg

QoS suits had the perfect fit, I was hoping they would go back to it:
    article-2276334-1776F158000005DC-957_466x620.jpg

I'm certain that casual clothes will be great.

Of course, this is all just IMO. ;)
    I miss Fields. She should have been the new MP, reimagined. Such a shame.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,526
    I miss Fields. She should have been the new MP, reimagined. Such a shame.

Never thought of that, that would have been an interesting take!

@Superintendent, oddly I think Craig looks way better in that particular SPECTRE shot than he does in that particular QOS shot. Different strokes I suppose!
  • IVNSHO, DC is not a natural clothes horse a la Clooney, Connery, Grant and Steve McQueen are or were.
    He is a fine actor and is in good physical shape but his stature and lack of natural élan make him an even more essential candidate for a bespoke treatment.
    I doubt that the suits we see him in are bespoke, they are probably made to measure from existing Tom Ford models and consequently miss the mark in one way and another with the fit irregularities highlighted by many in this thread.
    This is a crucial point because when it comes to suits, unless they fit perfectly, the rest is academic.
    The late great Fred Astaire famously used to dance in an A&S fitting room to ensure that his coat collar didn't move up when he moved such was his focus on fit.
    I don't know why the stylist has gone this mass route unless it is product placement as a Savile Row bespoke house wouldn't have the means or inclination to pay the big bucks.
    A great shame!
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree with you @Villiers53. I sadly think it is actually all about product placement. Tom Ford probably wants his latest look to be promoted in SP & does not want to seem dated or a fogey. Craig's Bond is, sadly, the male model for next year's Tom Ford line. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the catwalk next year, or worse, in a Tom Ford commercial.....

There is hope yet though. This is the latest Empire cover. I see pinstripes on that suit!

B-m_otnXEAARZ8m.jpg[/quote]
    IVNSHO, DC is not a natural clothes horse a la Clooney, Connery, Grant and Steve McQueen are or were.
    I find DC to be a modern day Steve McQueen - and they both wear suits well
    JCRendle wrote: »
    IVNSHO, DC is not a natural clothes horse a la Clooney, Connery, Grant and Steve McQueen are or were.

You mean beside the fact they aren't built remotely the same, right?
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552
    doghouse wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »

You mean beside the fact they aren't built remotely the same, right?
    In terms of acting style and looks, if you look at my post I put "and they both wear suits well."

Steve-McQueen-and-Daniel--011.jpg

In a way, we can be glad, that we came this far and all people find a reason to complain about are clothes. Seems, they have done great so far. =D>