Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Conan the Barbarian Just bought it on Bluray, one of my favourite movies of all time. Relieved to see it was the special edition. This film has never looked better!

It's probably my favorite fantasy film (and yes, even more than LOTR and The Hobbit). It's just fun to watch. The casting, story, action and music are damn great! It's sequel, while still fun to watch, was meh compared to the first and the remake was a damn disgrace to the character (I still don't understand how some people defend it saying it was spot on to the Robert E. Howard's Conan).
    I was more than a little thrilled when they announced that Arnold was coming back to the role in The Legend of Conan! I haven't heard much about the production but I hope the ball gets rolling soon.

John Wick. What a ballet of staggering violence recalling Sam Peckinpah. Normally I am turned off my excessive violence, but this film is so over-the-top, that it becomes surreal rather than real. The plot is nothing more than a simplistic device for justifying lots of killing, and yet it ends up entertaining. If one cannot appreciate it for anything else, one has to give props to the choreography of shooting and fight scenes.
  • Goldeneye.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Just got back from Seventh Son, and I have to say it was a lot of fun. Kind of like an old fashioned Sinbad movie kind of fun. Recommended to kids of all ages.
    And Ben Barnes for the next James Bond.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    The Game (1997), directed by David Fincher. Well, they can't all be brilliant (his previous film - Seven - was great and the one after this - Fight Club - I just love and never tire of watching). This might be my least fave Fincher movie, but it's ok. Michael Douglas in the lead role is boring, but passable. I had seen this years ago and didn't remember what actually happened except sometimes just before it happened.

Mary, Mother Of Jesus (1999), a tv production. I had been putting this off, since I just knew it would be bloody awful, and indeed it was. (To my amazement, judging by comments I was reading some people actually liked this. :-O ) I can be pretty patient, but there are limits, and I was feeling kinda desperate already after the first few minutes, thinking that I really didn't wanna sit through this, so I fast-forwarded little by little, waiting for the baby to be born in the first place, and then to grow up... then I went "oh, hello gorgeous", and back-pedaled a bit, having all of a sudden skipped 18 years in a couple of minutes...
    Selina Kyle would say that a girl's gotta eat. Well, a boy's gotta eat as well... and keep his home and stuff. This was one of those jobs. And the boy has said (not specifically about this, but anyway) that he learned long ago humiliation to be a healthy part of character building, so... all good I guess. :P

220px-Casanova_film.jpg

Casanova (2005). A light comedy, pretty entertaining. Seen this years ago. Heath Ledger was lovely and fun as Casanova. =((
    Captain America: Winter Soldier. Just absolutely awesome. It was like LTK on superhero steroids. Marvel has earned its Licence to kill the competition. DC has no dog in this fight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Captain America: Winter Soldier. Just absolutely awesome. It was like LTK on superhero steroids. Marvel has earned its Licence to kill the competition. DC has no dog in this fight.

Agreed. A fantastic espionage film - Marvel style.

bondjames wrote: »

Agreed. A fantastic espionage film - Marvel style.
    I can't recommend this film highly enough for an OTT covert adventure. And the commentary on our way of life restrictions to ensure safety are so incredibly timely.
    It was a work of absolute art in film-making. Entertaining AND thought-provoking is so rare in mass media...
  • Conan the Barbarian Just bought it on Bluray, one of my favourite movies of time. Relieved to see it was the special edition. This film has never looked better!

It's probably my favorite fantasy film (and yes, even more than LOTR and The Hobbit). It's just fun to watch. The casting, story, action and music are damn great! It's sequel, while still fun to watch, was meh compared to the first and the remake was a damn disgrace to the character (I still don't understand how some people defend it saying it was spot on to the Robert E. Howard's Conan).
    I was more than a little thrilled when they announced that Arnold was coming back to the role in The Legend of Conan! I haven't heard much about the production but I hope the ball gets rolling soon.

Was pleasantly surprised how it looked on Bluray, and still I think they could do a better restoration. Overall a great movie with some truly great moments, Basildorous soundtrack is superb. Agree the Destroyer was poor in comparison, not heard much myself on the next Conan film, hope they capture the tone and spirit of Barbarian.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Suspiria (1977)

376150-192113-14.jpg

Dario Argento is perhaps the most famous of the Italian Giallo directors, even though in my humble opinion the likes of Lucio Fulci and Mario Bava deserve at least the same amount of praise. That said, Suspiria is without a doubt my favourite of Argento's movies. I simply can't resist the incredibly beautiful images, full of vibrant colours and beautiful sets.

Suspiria's story is a little muddled at times; sometimes things just fail to make sense. That is, of course, part of the charm of the film; it adds to the dreamy quality Suspiria thrives on most. Even lead actress Jessica Harpers at times seems neither awake nor asleep, almost as if the story takes place in some made up world. But just to make sure you wouldn't be completely lost in superstition and dream worlds, we have a young Udo Kier reminding us that Bad luck isn't brought by broken mirrors, but by broken minds..

Suspiria marks the first entry in Argento's "Three Mothers" trilogy, followed by Inferno and The Mother of Tears. It is also undoubtedly the best of the three. It is the best looking, the most captivating and the most entertaining of the three. My respect for Argento gained weight as soon as I had first watched Suspiria. Recommended for fans of 70’s horror.

Whiteout with the glorious Kate Beckinsale in a brilliant thriller situated in Antartica. If you have not seen it yet, it is about time you did.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Crimson Tide Great film, Washington and Hackman on top of their game, gut-wrenching tension that gets higher and higher as the film progresses.

Deja Vu Really good film, interesting plot with Washington being badass as always. The first half is brillant. Movie keeps you guessing the whole time, and that chase scene with the 'goggles' is breathtaking.

Taking of Pelham 123 Entertaining, but not as good as the original film from the 1970's. I enjoyed Travolta in this, and Washington was great (again). A fun way to pass 90 minutes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, I really like Crimson Tide & Taking of Pelham 123. Both incredibly tense and interesting movies. I even like Unstoppable with Chris Pine which I recommend if you're on a Washington kick. Not as good, but still entertaining.
    Yes, love CT. An example of a movie where you need power house acting and dialogue (float the booooooey) of the highest calibre or it all just goes wrong (a little like a court room drama): superb casting, Gene Hackman never seems to get the credit he deserves IMHO, a legacy of classic movies.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames I just finished Unstoppable, and I must say I liked it equally as Pelham. I really enjoy the Denzel-Scott films, they are just so entertaining.

And I agree, @patb, Hackman is a true legend.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DARK DAYS
    Documentary about homeless people in New York residing in the AmTrak tunnels. I felt really lucky watching this.
    Thor: Dark World. Very enjoyable, some great dialogue. I'm all caught up on Marvel now, and my favourites are Iron Man, Avengers & Winter Soldier.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Jupiter Ascending
    Pros: Sean Bean says "Back from the bloody dead"
    Cons: Jupiter Ascending
    1/10

EDIT: ^^^ Winter Soldier, love it.
    The Uninvited (1944)

The-Uninvited-1.jpg?3642db

Romance, spooky things at night and a film that's over 70 years old? Yes, it is possible. Ray Milland gives a tremendous performance, almost as good as what he did in Dial M For Murder. I love the film's effects; they're simple but perfectly adequate. Quite a nice little ghost movie I'd say, and totally unrelated to the 2009 film of the same name starring lovely Emily Browning. ;-)
    The bourne legacy I still say Gilroy would impress if given a bond film and would do better then Nolan. Not that I would complain with Nolan honestly but when Gilroy was rumored in early 2013 I was so wishing it would come true though Mendes looks to be doing much better his second time around still

Up next I think the proffesional before I play a bit of goldeneye and cook before my wife gets home
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jupiter Ascending
    Pros: Sean Bean says "Back from the bloody dead"
    Cons: Jupiter Ascending
    1/10

EDIT: ^^^ Winter Soldier, love it.

I will pass on that one. Cloud Atlas was a major disappointment, too. The Wachowskis look like another one hit wonder.
    Killer Elite Really fun film, I loved the 1980's setting with low technology available, Statham and Clive Owen were great, I was hoping to see more of De Niro but he was still badass. Most of the action scenes were just epic.

Blitz Another cool Statham flick, London is such a great city for movies/tv shows. Interesting plot and I kept waiting for Statham to destroy the bad guy, and he did so brillantly at the end.

Safe Great film, a bit slow to get going but once the story is set it's a 200 mph thrill ride. The huge gun fight at the end was epic, and Statham was a proper badass in this.

Parker Again, a fun film with many really cool badass moments from Statham, Lopez was very eye candy. Also fun to see some actors I knew from tv shows like Michael Chiklis and Wendell Pearce.
    The Girl Next Door: A mediocre film, I wasn't impressed because i felt like it was intended to be a kids movie. I'll try An American Crime, it's based on the same true story.

The Hidden Face: I am a huge fan of Latin movies and this one didn't disappoint. Interesting plot, very good acting and a great atmosphere overall in this superb thriller-mystery.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    Whiteout with the glorious Kate Beckinsale in a brilliant thriller situated in Antartica. If you have not seen it yet, it is about time you did.

Watched that a couple of weeks ago, Kate is indeed glorious. One particular scene sticks in my mind

;)
    Re-Animator (1985)

Re-Animator.jpg

Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna are well known for their adaptations of Lovecraft stories such as Dagon, Necronomicon, From Beyond, Castle Freak and of course the Re-Animator films. What typifies these movies is that they fall slightly below the production quality of more famous contemporary horror films, yet gain a loyal cult following due to their deliciously juicy combination of comedy and gore.

H.P. Lovecraft was one of the first great masters of horror. His literature provided many of what we now consider common tropes in horror fiction. Half the horror filmmakers admit they were heavily influenced by Lovecraft's Cthulhu and Dream cycles, the other half simply doesn't realise that by aping the horror of the previous century they are for the most part aping Lovecraft. Having read all of Lovecraft's fiction, I'd call myself a superfan, though I admit that his style of writing went out of vogue about half a century ago. I suppose his fantastical ideas are what counts most.

One of his stories, Herbert West: Re-Animator, inspired Gordon and Yuzna to what has swiftly become a beloved film trilogy starring Jeffrey Combs as the titular Re-Animator, an ambitious scientist suffering from a Frankenstein complex. Though the first film takes place in "modern day" (meaning the mid 80s), it stays fairly close to Lovecraft's original story, at least in some fundamental respects. But while Lovecraft himself almost never included women let alone sex into his stories, Gordon and Yuzna add some gratuitous T&A, sometimes for titillation, often for comedic reasons. Let's just say that fans of Barbara Crampton will not be displeased after watching Re-Animator. ;-)

The effects work is part of the fun. On the one hand, it's obvious when talking heads aren't really talking, nor real heads for that matter; on the other hand, the effects work marvellously fits the film: meaty, bloody but also "real" (as in: no CGI). Tom Savini must have loved seeing this movie at the time.

Richard Band provides a catchy theme for the film's score, and one that is pleasantly reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann's theme for Psycho. The score, while simple, is certainly another essential part leading to our enjoyment.

Re-Animator isn't the best horror film around; IMO it's not even the best Lovecraft movie adaptation, but it's certainly one of the best examples of horror and comedy finding a perfect match. Combs plays his part with formidable stamina; he perpetually dominates every scene he's in as the arrogant but brilliant Herbert West. In a sense, his energy reminds me of Peter Cushing's Dr. Frankenstein in the Hammer series. I suppose this as much as some of the other reasons I have given above, is enough to sit through this film with a smile on your face!
    Killer Elite Really fun film, I loved the 1980's setting with low technology available, Statham and Clive Owen were great, I was hoping to see more of De Niro but he was still badass. Most of the action scenes were just epic.

I need to see this one.
    Mr. Destiny, with James Belushi and Michael Caine. I believe it flew under the radar a bit, but I enjoy it myself; very entertaining and solid story. The possibilities aspect always intrigues me.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Birdleson wrote: »

I need to see this one.

See the original, directed by Peckinpah, instead.

Don't think they are anything to do with each other.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I need to see this one.

See the original, directed by Peckinpah, instead.

Oh, I OWN that one. ;)
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 12,272
    Just finished watching Tim Burton's Ed Wood again, and I must say, it only gets better and better with every watch. Without doubt one of Burton's finest films, and just fantastic acting performances by Johnny Depp and Martin Landau. Highly recommended for anyone that hasn't seen it.