Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

patb wrote: »
    After watching Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, switched over and watched another Fincher movie "Panic Room", not his best IMHO and main role is miscast but FW is very good IMHO

I agree it's not his best, but it's still good. On second viewing I appreciated the movie on the whole, and the humour in it, a lot more than when I first saw it. I didn't like the final part, but otherwise found it enjoyable - certainly not its predecessor Fight Club's levels enjoyable, but still.

I assume by main role you mean the mum. Why do you think Jodie Foster was miscast? Personally I didn't have any problem with her in the role. I would have been happy to see the original lead Nicole Kidman do it, but I like Jodie, too, and thought she was an adequate replacement, and convincing in the role, and I'm curious to hear why you thought she wasn't.

• ml94ml94 Finland
    6th day.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE SPIRIT
    A timeless classic, fantastic film, one of the best ever made.
  • Van Helsing On Bluray, fun film Kate Beckensdale looks gorgeous.

Psycho On Bluray, superb restoration on a classic.
  • MACHETE
    Ridiculous, but very enjoyable. I need to see MACHETE KILLS.
    Machete Kills is even better, highly recommend it.

Tuulia wrote: »
    After watching Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, switched over and watched another Fincher movie "Panic Room", not his best IMHO and main role is miscast but FW is very good IMHO

I agree it's not his best, but it's still good. On second viewing I appreciated the movie on the whole, and the humour in it, a lot more than when I first saw it. I didn't like the final part, but otherwise found it enjoyable - certainly not its predecessor Fight Club's levels enjoyable, but still.

I assume by main role you mean the mum. Why do you think Jodie Foster was miscast? Personally I didn't have any problem with her in the role. I would have been happy to see the original lead Nicole Kidman do it, but I like Jodie, too, and thought she was an adequate replacement, and convincing in the role, and I'm curious to hear why you thought she wasn't.

I think JF was too tough, too "tom boy" for the role and also the kid was a little "weird", Nicole Kidman in "Dead Calm" was the perfect balance of vulnerable and tough IMHO, she would have been perfect
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

What a great film. If you are 8 years old.

Sorry you feel that way. I'm in my mid twenties and I really enjoyed the film.

51 and loved it as did my 75 year old Dad! This was one of the most purely fun movies that I've seen in years.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    For me it was how the Star Wars prequels should have been, full of the fun
    And excitement of the originals. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just finished Die Hard. This film never gets old, I absolutely love it. Back when Bruce Willis made classic movies. From the suspense, to the stunts, humour, characters, the soundtrack, this film is a perfect 10/10. And it always funny to see the 2 FBI agents who would star 1 year later in LTK.
    Yep !, it's one of my favourites too. Brilliant film. :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @DrGorner the 3rd one is pretty cool too, with the buddy action film style thanks to Samuel l Jackson! :D
    I love all the die hard films, sure some are better than others (5) isn't great.
    But I enjoyed 4, even 2, but I do think 1&3 are the best.
    Yeah, the only one I dislike is the 5th one. The other 4 I always enjoy rewatching.
    The only thing I thought of worth in 5 was the car chase, they did
    Come up with a couple of good ideas but sadly the film was pretty
    Bad, I'd say Bruce did it for a BIG pay cheque.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,690
    The 5th one is OK if you watch it just to see Bruce machine gunning everything that moves. :) But as a DH film is pretty bad.
    I don't mind it too much, I'm a fan of Bruce. I'm happy with him in a dirty
    Vest blowing away terrorists ! :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Willis is worse in Cop Out.
    And I'm a Kevin Smith fan.
    But yeah, Willis IS worse in Cop Out. Big time!
    Couldn't stop, so I watched "Die Hard 2" and Die Hard: With a Vengeance". Contrary to many, it seems, I enjoy the 2nd outing. A simple rehash of the original but still very entertaining, a lot of tension and some very striking scenes (like the crash of the plane). But this movie suffers from an OTT happy ending, all the characters happy, seemingly oblivious to the horror that happened during the last 2 hours. McClane has some epic kills in this one, like sticking an ice stick in someone's eye!

DH 3 is my 2nd favorite of the series, just pure fun, and it goes at 300km/h. Irons is excellent and I love the banter between Willis and L Jackson. The soundtrack is great, and there's just so many action scenes, it's non-stop entertainment! :D Only issue I have with it is a rushed ending, but otherwise a very satisfying film with a badass McClane again!
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,068
    And at a different pace, Shaun The Sheep!! Aardman are simply superb and this was a blast this evening and (sadly) I'm nowhere near my teens anymore but had a real buzz watching it. The inventive dialogue free film was a breathless adventure right from the start. I only now read the reviews AFTER seeing it and it seems it's blown every audience away - not bad for a stop/start kid's extended TV show!! You have to see it! *****
    Transcendence :
    Very slow, Twilight Zone episode streched to two hours because Johnny Depp is
    in it.
    Taken 3

I was impressed. It was better than Taken 2 and the plot was different with some twists, not too mind boggling but a good film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. On Blu Ray.
    Oh my.
    Amd... sorry- tears of joy & sorrow make it hard to typw....
    CUBIC
    Thought-provoking film from 2002 featuring Christian Bale. I should have guessed that
    Sean Bean gets wasted.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. On Blu Ray.
    Oh my.
    Amd... sorry- tears of joy & sorrow make it hard to typw....

Love that film, C Plummer takes his clues from Khan in terms of what is required to be a great villain and the Shakespeare quotes add a wonderful melodrama. Any of the movies that N Meyer had input were great and his commentary's on the DVD are some of the best I have heard ever. A man who completely understood what Star Trek was about, he saved the franchise, no doubt about that. Within the context of star travel, special effects, planets blowing up, etc. it's still about about human (or Vulcan) relationships. And the ending is very sad , choking up just thinking about it!

Tuulia wrote: »

I think JF was too tough, too "tom boy" for the role and also the kid was a little "weird", Nicole Kidman in "Dead Calm" was the perfect balance of vulnerable and tough IMHO, she would have been perfect

Ok. I didn't think the kid was particularly weird and didn't mind her at all, and like I said I liked Jodie, but I agree Nicole probably would have been better.
    andmcit wrote: »
    And at a different pace, Shaun The Sheep!! Aardman are simply superb and this was a blast this evening and (sadly) I'm nowhere near my teens anymore but had a real buzz watching it. The inventive dialogue free film was a breathless adventure right from the start. I only now read the reviews AFTER seeing it and it seems it's blown every audience away - not bad for a stop/start kid's extended TV show!! You have to see it! *****

Dialogue free? Oh, thank you. The name has been translated here and I thought the movie would be dubbed (I never watch those... except that I'm determined to get my hands on Howl's Moving Castle dubbed in English, different matter ;) ) but now I'm interested. :)
    CUBIC
    Thought-provoking film from 2002 featuring Christian Bale. I should have guessed that
    Sean Bean gets wasted.

Yes you should have. :P

I re-watched it recently and loved it. :x

By the way, are you (or anyone else?) able to enlighten me about the name "Cubic"? The original, and more widely used name is Equilibrium and that's what I know the movie as, and I didn't even pay any attention when it was on some tv channel under the name Cubic some time ago... then kicked myself afterwards when I realized what movie that was, but that name just didn't say anything to me. Why the name change in some markets, and what the heck does "Cubic" even mean as the name of that movie? The original/normal name makes a whole lotta sense, but I don't get the weird alternative name at all.

---

220px-Mandolinfilm1.jpg

Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001) with Nicolas Cage, Penelope Cruz, John Hurt, Christian Bale. Considering the dramatic stuff in the story and real historical events, this should have been a very moving film, but it isn't. Maybe the director (John Madden of the Shakespeare In Love fame - which I thought was totally forgettable, too) was just out of his league handling the stuff. The Cage/Cruz romance at the heart of the story doesn't seem believable, for one, so there's one big problem right there. The scenery is lovely and the movie looks good, but it just lacks something vital. I remember I wasn't impressed the first time I saw this a decade or something ago, still wasn't impressed now.

220px-Goodnight_poster.jpg

Good Night, And Good Luck. (2005), a black and white drama directed by George Clooney. Very stylish, topical (though not set in modern day), good cast, interesting. The first time I tried to watch this I gave up - just couldn't get into the rhythm and style and story - but this time I really enjoyed it.

Good Night and Good Luck is a great film, GC is not just a pretty face, a classy movie with great acting and very political.
    Good Night and Good Luck is a great film, GC is not just a pretty face, a classy movie with great acting and very political.

I agree both about the film and Clooney. I think his acting range is pretty limited, but he's ok at what he does acting-wise, and can clearly make a good film, and I respect him otherwise, too.

• Planeta Bur, some cult B-Series from Russia with camp. Nice 60s flick.
    COURAGE UNDER FIRE
  • Conan the Barbarian Just bought it on Bluray, one of my favourite movies of all time. Relieved to see it was the special edition. This film has never looked better!