FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I'm equally amazed some people think Ledger's Joker isn't funny, or isn't having fun. I think he's hilarious (he makes me laugh unlike Nicholson), and seems to me to be having plenty of fun, too.
    Ledger just took Brandon Lee's Crow & tweaked it a bit to be all evil IMO. Nicholson brought the comic book Joker to glorious & originally-inspired life.
    =D>

Ok... and I just saw Nicholson being Nicholson. ;) And the humor did nothing for me. I'm not a comic book fan, so I can't comment on that aspect, only on what I saw in the movies.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ok... and I just saw Nicholson being Nicholson. ;) And the humor did nothing for me. I'm not a comic book fan, so I can't comment on that aspect, only on what I saw in the movies.
    Never read Fleming? Dalton won't register. Never read Batman comics? Nicholson won't register.
    It's all about where you come from.
    Ledger, given no fan history, was pretty damn impressive.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ledger's Joker makes me laugh even after having seen the film dozens of times (any time I'm on a Batman kick, The Dark Knight, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker are the first three movies in my DVD player, in that order). To me, those three movies are what the Joker is. Jack Nicholson was a great Joker, and if The Killing Joke were ever to be adapted to live action, he would certainly fit the bill, but Ledger took the character and made it his own.

Whether it's the "How 'bout a magic trick?" scene or either of the two videos he sends into the news or the moment where he cross-dresses to get to Harvey Dent, there's just so much more character to Ledger's Joker that Nicholson's character would have had if not for that creepy as hell permanent smile (my only problem with Nicholson's Joker). I also prefer no true backstory to him, as opposed to the Joe Chill replacement that Jack Napier was in Batman. I don't mind heroes creating their villains and vice-versa, but that was one that didn't need to happen (ironically, the one that set everything in motion).

I will always hold Jack Nicholson's Joker as a solid, and very close, second, but the opening of The Dark Knight blew him from first to second. "I believe whatever doesn't kill you makes you... stranger!"
    Never read Fleming? Dalton won't register. Never read Batman comics? Nicholson won't register.
    It's all about where you come from.
    Ledger, given no fan history, was pretty damn impressive.

That's one way of looking at it, and I'm sure there's something to it, but I don't fully agree. I have read Fleming, but am still not exactly crazy about Dalton's portrayal. I don't dislike it, either, but I haven't managed to really warm to it despite trying to (and no, I don't have anything against the guy, so it's not that, either). And contrary to what you're saying, I've seen many people who are comic book fans and have that background info, say they absolutely love Ledger's Joker and prefer his portrayal.

A similar thing can be said about any movie that is based on literary material. Of course people who have read the book come to the movie from a different perspective, and with expectations that may or may not be met, but I'd be surprised if everyone in either group would agree with the others in the same group about the portrayal of characters. Ultimately I don't think people's appreciation and enjoyment (or lack of) of characters (or the whole movie) depends much on familiarity (or unfamiliarity) with the book, nor should it, nor is one perspective more valid than the other.

I guess I agree with the "it's all about where you come from" bit, but not as a rule that depends on knowledge of some literary material, but as a more vague concept of a bunch of reasons, often impossible to pin down, on why we enjoy or don't enjoy certain things.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>049
    </b>Which of these ten highest grossing films (IA) is your favourite?</font>

1 Gone with the Wind
    2 Avatar
    3 Star Wars
    4 Titanic
    5 The Sound of Music
    6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    7 The Ten Commandments
    8 Doctor Zhivago
    9 Jaws
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Either Doctor Zhivago or Gone with the Wind.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    From that list, Jaws.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Star Wars
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Star Wars and Jaws.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Star Wars. There's actually not one of the others that I particularly like. Though I specifically hate ET and Avatar.
  • E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    The Ten Commandments
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. Gone With the Wind
    2. Titanic
    3. ET
    4. Dr Zhivago
    5. Ten Commandments
    6. Star Wars
    7. Jaws
    8. Snow White
    9. Avatar
    10. The Sound of Music
    1. Gone with the Wind
    2. Star Wars
    3. E.T.
    4. Jaws

5. The Ten Commandments
    6. The Sound Of Music
    7. Snow White
    8. Dr Zhivago

9. Avatar
    10. Titanic
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Couldn´t disagree more.

Anyway, Jaws, of course, what else.
    Star Wars is good too, the rest on that list doesn´t particularly interest me.

Star Wars then Jaws.
    Gone with the wind
    Star Wars

That list is surprisingly underwhelming. Pretty bad actually. Only illustrates yet again that BO isn't everything.
  • Difficult to separate Star Wars and Jaws for me, probably watched Jaws more over the years. Jaws wins by a fin.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Jaws and Star Wars.... easily... 2 of the most influential movies in my life..

then it would probably be E.T. - The Sound Of Music - and Titanic..

Avatar is dead last... just was not that impressed by it..
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    and going back to the Joker question...

Jack Nicholson hands down.... i love Ledger's performance, but i grew up with Jack as The Joker, and his taught me that important life lesson that you never rub another man's rhubarb. lol.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES

In 1937 it was a sensation, and it holds up to this very day.
  • ml94ml94 Finland
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

Well, not all of us were around in 1937 to experience it like you did. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    pachazo wrote: »

Well, not all of us were around in 1937 to experience it like you did. ;)

I loved it even though i was no longer a little kid. It was the first full-length animated picture we saw. And in color no less. The influence from German impressionistic art was obvious. This was even better than the thrill from the first soundfilm. ;)
    Jaws
    Star Wars
    E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

a brilliant movie and as for the score, it is easily one of the most played soundtracks I have beautiful and at times haunting and yet easily the best work done by John Williams.

I have seen this movie so often and it has never failed to awaken the kid inside of me.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,564
    @SaintMark

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who keeps enjoying ET. I'm not even sure it only offers nostalgic warmth for me. Even at age 32, I'm emotionally engaged; the action thrills me and Williams' score is PER-FECT! Lastly, the comedy in this film is spot on! The moment when ET falls over because of the camera's flash light, I crack up, time and again.

I often hear people say they liked ET when they were young but much less so as they grew older. Well, I think they should watch ET again then. You'd be surprised how easily Spielberg can manipulate us back into childhood innocence. By the way, leave it to Spielberg to turn the ugliest creature in the cosmos into the cutest little pal any person can have.

I was born in the year ET got its release. In my opinion, it's one of Spielberg's best. Intended to be a simple, small Summer movie, ET unexpectedly ended up being one of the most successful movies ever.

That's the magic of ET.
    I never really cared for ET as a kid or an adult.
    ET's fun; we own it on DVD. But, the cops are holding walkie talkies in a scene where they had guns in the theatre. I detect the presence of PC CGI...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Star Wars and Jaws for me.