"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

RogueAgent wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    "No more players like gerrard"? Really? Or do you mean like in "no more players as overrated both on an off the field"? ;))

I mean a player who is loyal to a team for pretty much the whole of his career instead of following the money to as many clubs as possible!!!

I understood perfectly what you meant. The point though is that it is far from unique! Respect the guy as much as you want, I do as well, but don't tell me there's "no other players like him" or any of that bullcrap... Gerrard isn't even the best example of team loyalty you'll find out there. Take a look at guys like Totti and De Rossi. Players of greater skill and potential, playing their entire careers on less vages, on a lesser team than your merseyside poster boy. They never had the luxury of playing two Champions League finals either. There are tons of other, and better, examples of team loyalty as well...

You might think I make a big deal out of this... which I am. But listening to constant overhyping of british players for fifteen years has taken its toll. Im honestly sick of it!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 12,506
    "No more players like gerrard"? Really? Or do you mean like in "no more players as overrated both on an off the field"? ;))

I mean a player who is loyal to a team for pretty much the whole of his career instead of following the money to as many clubs as possible!!!

I understood perfectly what you meant. The point though is that it is far from unique! Respect the guy as much as you want, I do as well, but don't tell me there's "no other players like him" or any of that bullcrap... Gerrard isn't even the best example of team loyalty you'll find out there. Take a look at guys like Totti and De Rossi. Players of greater skill and potential, playing their entire careers on less vages, on a lesser team than your merseyside poster boy. They never had the luxury of playing two Champions League finals either. There are tons of other, and better, examples of team loyalty as well...

You might think I make a big deal out of this... which I am. But listening to constant overhyping of british players for fifteen years has taken its toll. Im honestly sick of it!

I think you need to put your toys back in your pram! I never wrote there were no others like him, he is not my merseyside poster boy either as i do not even support Liverpool. Football is a moneymaking business and all the time you see alot of players jump ship for bigger money contracts.

As for players in other countries and leagues who do the same? Good on them i say, but i do not follow other leagues in Europe whether it is players or not. Take a look at previous posts of mine if you like? I talk about my own club more than anything and they are not even in the top division! I certainly have not overhyped any English/British player as far as i am aware as none of them turn up at the World Cup or Euro Championships!
    Well i am very surprised we beat Bournemouth away today! :-O Well done lads!!!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You are all trolls. Seriously, close this thread.

:-??
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Just a reference to another thread. Nothing to worry about, carry on.

Just a reference to another thread. Nothing to worry about, carry on.

Oh ok, had not a clue what that was about? Been a long week! :-t :))
  • I am fancying Ipswich this evening
    Didn't realise their were games tonight!
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    Cup replays
    Cup replays

That'll be why then! We are already out! :))
    Nice win today lads! Although my heart was in my mouth when Cardiff got 2 quick goals in the second half!

Largo my heart goes out to you and your Swansea boys today. At least we beat Cardiff for you if that's any consolation? :-bd
    Yes very bad day at the office
    Think selling Gomis will be good business.
    Bring back Michu and buy some bloody defense quickly
    Oh well 5 wins between now and may should keep us safe for another year
    We haven't done to bad as most people thought we would get relegated from day one

It will be interesting to see how many starts Bony gets for Man City? Then again after their loss against Arsenal today they may come quicker than I was expecting?
    Disappointed but fair play to Brentford for their win against us today. Big missed opportunity today.
  • RC7RC7
    A tremendous weekend in the FA Cup.
    RC7 wrote: »
    A tremendous weekend in the FA Cup.
    crap week for my boys

I see their were no FA Cup shocks today! Still really stunned at some of the results from yesterday!
    Glad I didn't go the game yesterday! I heard both teams were awful! :))
    Balotelli finally gets a goal for the Reds tonight!

Thanks Norwich for another heart damaging win away at Charlton! :-t
    Over the moon with our 2-0 win against Wolves today and now we are at present in the playoff picture! Come on boys lets hopefully push on?!!!!! [-O<
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Martin Atkinson is an absolute joke of a ref.
    Two clear penalties denied, and no red or yellow car for Barnes after his despicable tackle on Matic.
    I'll agree that Matic had to take the red for his behaviour, but I think it was justified action considering the tackle.
    Absolutely fantastic performance by the boys yesterday at Watford! Did not expect such a convincing performance at Vicarage road, Lets hope for more of the same at Ewood park on Tuesday night against Blackburn!
    What a result yesterday
    And to do a double over man United, what can I say
    Now to keep going for a outside chance of Europe next season
    If Norwich carry on maybe they can swap with qpr
    largo2 wrote: »
    What a result yesterday
    And to do a double over man United, what can I say
    Now to keep going for a outside chance of Europe next season
    If Norwich carry on maybe they can swap with qpr

Brilliant performance once again from your boys Largo! I thought you may have been on here last night, but assumed you were out celebrating!!! :-bd
    Yeah was well chuffed yesterday with my boys, Blackburn Tuesday, and then the grudge math against Ipswich on Sunday! We are also playing Middlesboro soon too so it is the ideal time to try and cement our place in the top 6? If not the top 2 seeing as we are only four points off top spot! It would be great if we manage promotion at the first time of asking, and also to be able to play your boys again! :D
    Great result once again boys! To turn Blackburn over after trailing 1-0 away? Brilliant result to end up winning 2-1 come the end of the match to continue our run of form at the minute.

Now roll on Sunday afternoon when we are at home against Ipswich! That is the match I most want us to win!
    Thank you very much Nottingham Forest for beating Bournemouth tonight!!! Keeps things nice and tight up at the top of the Championship! :-bd

On a separate note, what a surprise FIFA decide they are going to screw everyone over when it comes to the 2022 World Cup! Especially the European teams, and I see they have already stated their will be no compensation for all club teams affected by the decision to move the tournament to the winter! If I was Europe I would refuse to participate in it as they do not pay their wages! FIFA need a wake up call big time!!
    Well? With the exception of the Watford result, I have to say from a Norwich point of view? What a great set of poor results for our rivals today, and a brilliant opportunity for us to take advantage tomorrow!!! :-bd
    Safe for another season
    largo2 wrote: »
    Safe for another season

Congrats Largo!! Monk is doing a fantastic job for you! Certainly looks like he may bag your highest points tally to date?

On a separate note I am well chuffed we beat our local neighbours Ipswich today! Now we really are in the mix for possible automatic promotion? Next 2 games are against Wigan and Millwall who are both currently in the bottom 3. We also have both the top 2 teams to play at home before the end of the season! Exciting times indeed!!! \m/