SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Could there be a chance that Christoph Waltz will play two separate characters, namely Franz Oberhauser and Ernst Stavro Blofeld? The latter being a surgically altered doppelgänger of Oberhauser (Doppelgängers do have some tradition in the Bond films: TB, DAF, DAD)? Although quite the larger-than-life idea, I find it a bit more ingenious than some unbelievable "name mixing".
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 238
    Could there be a chance that Christoph Waltz will play two separate characters, namely Franz Oberhauser and Ernst Stavro Blofeld? The latter being a surgically altered doppelgänger of Oberhauser (Doppelgängers do have some tradition in the Bond films: TB, DAF, DAD)? Although quite the larger-than-life idea, I find it a bit more ingenious than some unbelievable "name mixing".
    There is a school of thought that Oberhauser was part of a dream sequence, so it would be perfectly fine for him to be reprised as a different character 40 odd years on.

But as it hasn't happened yet, you would have to ask me in a few years, but I might not still be here!
    skropper13 wrote: »
    It's difficult but I have faith in Mendes that he wouldn't be so bland about the approach to blofeld... Waltz is amazing and that would still be cool but everyone is expecting that that's why it would be slightly disappointing... But hey I don't dislike any bond movie :) and I'm sure this won't be any different

If Waltz is Blofeld, this is not a bland casting. When a movie is called SPECTRE, of course it will be expected that Blofeld will show up. There is no need for a plot twist just because it is an "obvious" casting choice. What matters is what they do with the Blofeld character, how he will be depicted, what he will do. Not what actor could play him instead of Waltz because Waltz is now in the cast and it would be a twist.

Again, that does not mean Christoph Waltz will be Blofeld. It means that right now, he is the most likely candidate.

It is possible, but it would be a challenge to make it believable. For one, Blofeld would need darn good reasons to want to have his face (and not one of his henchman's) turned into another man's. Then the plastic surgery itself would need to look far more realistic than that stupid DNA thing in DAD. The explanation on the how and why would thus need to be completely bulletproof, or at least very plausible. Then he would need to make the switch, once the surgery is completed...

But yes, double identities and plastic are a sort of Bond tradition, not only in the films you mention, but also OHMSS, GE and to a lesser extend FRWL (with the Bond mask). Not to mention the novels.
    Ludovico wrote: »

It is possible, but it would be a challenge to make it believable. For one, Blofeld would need darn good reasons to want to have his face (and not one of his henchman's) turned into another man's. Then the plastic surgery itself would need to look far more realistic than that stupid DNA thing in DAD. The explanation on the how and why would thus need to be completely bulletproof, or at least very plausible. Then he would need to make the switch, once the surgery is completed...

But yes, double identities and plastic are a sort of Bond tradition, not only in the films you mention, but also OHMSS, GE and to a lesser extend FRWL (with the Bond mask). Not to mention the novels.

So...how would you make the name transition from Franz Oberhauser to Ernst Stavro Blofeld then?

With "Eve" it was quite easy. They attached "Moneypenny" to it. So all the previous presumptions came true: Eve was indeed Moneypenny.

But how will this be done with Blofeld then? I personally find it quite lame if "Franz Oberhauser" is nothing more than a fake name, whereas in the books he was a nice Fleming-character.

How would you do it?
    When a movie is called SPECTRE, of course it will be expected that Blofeld will show up.
    The weak mind expects a lot. Spectre means something not easy to grasp. Usually when you see it it looks not really material. It would be much more clever to introduce the organisation, or whatever else SPECTRE is going to be, and maybe hint at a leading character Blofeld, instead of klunking both SPECTRE and Blofeld in front of our feet in one film. Or did Mendes hint that he´s going to kill Blofeld in this film?

boldfinger wrote: »
    When a movie is called SPECTRE, of course it will be expected that Blofeld will show up.
    The weak mind expects a lot. Spectre means something not easy to grasp. Usually when you see it it looks not really material. It would be much more clever to introduce the organisation, or whatever else SPECTRE is going to be, and maybe hint at a leading character Blofeld, instead of klunking both SPECTRE and Blofeld in front of our feet in one film. Or did Mendes hint that he´s going to kill Blofeld in this film?

I agree. "SPECTRE" will be more imaginative and innovative than simply bombard us with BOTH the revival of crime syndicate S.P.E.C.T.R.E and the return of Ernst Stavro Blofeld in the first half of the film.

Hell, even the 1960's films ("DN"-"FRWL"-""TB"-"OHMSS") did it even more innovative way back then. That's why I also think, and always said, that there might be only a small cameo at the end of "SPECTRE" that could be hinting to Blofeld. Thus making things more clearer for us: Christoph Waltz perhaps will NOT play Blofeld, but WILL BE the leading Bond villain. And his name indeed is Franz Oberhauser. Just....Franz Oberhauser...his real name.

So...how would you make the name transition from Franz Oberhauser to Ernst Stavro Blofeld then?

With "Eve" it was quite easy. They attached "Moneypenny" to it. So all the previous presumptions came true: Eve was indeed Moneypenny.

But how will this be done with Blofeld then? I personally find it quite lame if "Franz Oberhauser" is nothing more than a fake name, whereas in the books he was a nice Fleming-character.

How would you do it?

Oberhauser means apparently "Upper Houses": http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/surname-origin/oberhausen

It could be an alias for Blofeld, who is known to use aliases (in both novels and movies). Franz O. may have been dead for some time, Blofeld shows up using his name to get on amiable terms with Bond, as the Satan he is. "My name is Franz Oberhauser. You knew my father, I knew yours. Let me be a father to you. I sell information to various services around Europe and the world. It is a modest network so far, nevertheless, MI6 already knows of the quality of our services. I believe you have a thorn at your side. Let me help you remove it."

Something of the sort.

How would you do it?

Oberhauser means apparently "Upper Houses": http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/surname-origin/oberhausen

It could be an alias for Blofeld, who is known to use aliases (in both novels and movies). Franz O. may have been dead for some time, Blofeld shows up using his name to get on amiable terms with Bond, as the Satan he is. "My name is Franz Oberhauser. You knew my father, I knew yours. Let me be a father to you. I sell information to various services around Europe and the world. It is a modest network so far, nevertheless, MI6 already knows of the quality of our services. I believe you have a thorn at your side. Let me help you remove it."

Something of the sort.

Hmm, I hope it won't be like that. A name, for Goodness sake, is just a name. Even my own surname doesn't have a meaning. If you over-emphasize the meanings of names....and try to explain things in this kind of fashions.....the film might look a bit tedious perhaps.

Also, if you do it like that, you STILL have Blofeld back in "SPECTRE". I mean, the name Blofeld has to be revealed no?

I agree. "SPECTRE" will be more imaginative and innovative than simply bombard us with BOTH the revival of crime syndicate S.P.E.C.T.R.E and the return of Ernst Stavro Blofeld in the first half of the film.

Hell, even the 1960's films ("DN"-"FRWL"-""TB"-"OHMSS") did it even more innovative way back then. That's why I also think, and always said, that there might be only a small cameo at the end of "SPECTRE" that could be hinting to Blofeld. Thus making things more clearer for us: Christoph Waltz perhaps will NOT play Blofeld, but WILL BE the leading Bond villain. And his name indeed is Franz Oberhauser. Just....Franz Oberhauser...his real name.

Well you might know something I don't, I haven't been in "that" thread, but so far, for a number of reasons enumerated, I find it more believable that Waltz is Blofeld that he is not. I do not say this with certainty of course. And, while I would be happy if he was Blofeld, I would also be happy for say Simon Russell Beale to show up in the role in the end. It is also very possible that Oberhauser is a Largo-type character. It is also possible that they used a proto-Blofeld in the early version of the script, then turning him into Blofeld when they secured the right to the character.

Well you might know something I don't, I haven't been in "that" thread, but so far, for a number of reasons enumerated, I find it more believable that Waltz is Blofeld that he is not. I do not say this with certainty of course. And, while I would be happy if he was Blofeld, I would also be happy for say Simon Russell Beale to show up in the role in the end. It is also very possible that Oberhauser is a Largo-type character. It is also possible that they used a proto-Blofeld in the early version of the script, then turning him into Blofeld when they secured the right to the character.

I NEVER come in that sickening SonyLeaks thread ;-). I'm very honest. For me that topic is a complete no-go. Also out of reasons of principles. I ignore material that is stolen in the first place. It's complete non-journalism. And moreover, minor spoilers are okay, if they are part of some good research of legal sources. But those Sony Leaks are not just spoilers.....they can be completely destructive for any fun.
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    It's difficult but I have faith in Mendes that he wouldn't be so bland about the approach to blofeld... Waltz is amazing and that would still be cool but everyone is expecting that that's why it would be slightly disappointing... But hey I don't dislike any bond movie :) and I'm sure this won't be any different

If Waltz is Blofeld, this is not a bland casting. When a movie is called SPECTRE, of course it will be expected that Blofeld will show up. There is no need for a plot twist just because it is an "obvious" casting choice. What matters is what they do with the Blofeld character, how he will be depicted, what he will do. Not what actor could play him instead of Waltz because Waltz is now in the cast and it would be a twist.

Again, that does not mean Christoph Waltz will be Blofeld. It means that right now, he is the most likely candidate.

I did not say waltz was a bland casting... i said he was amazing... so now that that is behind us, all I am saying again is that we all expect waltz to be blofeld and i hope that the approach is not "bland". so i hope they dont just throw blofeld on the end of oberhauser and call it a day. I hope it is more exciting than that. Waltz is a very good actor and cannot wait to see his character either way

I did not say waltz was a bland casting... i said he was amazing... so now that that is behind us, all I am saying again is that we all expect waltz to be blofeld and i hope that the approach is not "bland". so i hope they dont just throw blofeld on the end of oberhauser and call it a day. I hope it is more exciting than that. Waltz is a very good actor and cannot wait to see his character either way

Fully agreed @skropper13.

I NEVER come in that sickening SonyLeaks thread ;-). I'm very honest. For me that topic is a complete no-go. Also out of reasons of principles. I ignore material that is stolen in the first place. It's complete non-journalism. And moreover, minor spoilers are okay, if they are part of some good research of legal sources. But those Sony Leaks are not just spoilers.....they can be completely destructive for any fun.

It taunts me every time I see it on top of the thread list. Which seems to be all the time.

It taunts me every time I see it on top of the thread list. Which seems to be all the time.

Well, I did take a quick peek just a while ago. And it stuns me that many of those forummembers in there are not to be found in other topics in here. And, they must be quite new forummembers too?
  • RC7RC7

Well, I did take a quick peek just a while ago. And it stuns me that many of those forummembers in there are not to be found in other topics in here. And, they must be quite new forummembers too?

It's just more evidence of the take, take, take, consumerist society we live in. So many people lacking restraint, so many people unable to discipline themselves. So many people wanting it all 'now'. I thought we, as Bond fans, would be the last to disseminate and discuss the leaked information, purely out of respect for something we apparently hold dear. It seems not, sadly. Then there are, like you say, the people who exist purely in that thread. Parasites, sucking the joy and surprise out of life at every turn I imagine.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Oh no. Not a Blofeld Codename theory. :))
    No if you read what I wrote, what I was saying was make it look like a Blofeld Codename but he exists. Thus, like in Attack Of The Clones we know who the Emperor is Obi Wan ect doesn't. So Bond thinks it's a Codename and is stood next to Blofeld like in the end of ATC. However, make it a shocker. So if this was how Blofeld was introduced to the audience and we know, how can it be a code name.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think it's just nice to see the old boy back again ! :)
    scouse007 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    No if you read what I wrote, what I was saying was make it look like a Blofeld Codename but he exists. Thus, like in Attack Of The Clones we know who the Emperor is Obi Wan ect doesn't. So Bond thinks it's a Codename and is stood next to Blofeld like in the end of ATC. However, make it a shocker. So if this was how Blofeld was introduced to the audience and we know, how can it be a code name.

Blofeld could be seen as a Keyser Soze: the world of espionage thinks he's a myth, yes he exists.
  • RC7RC7

Blofeld could be seen as a Keyser Soze: the world of espionage thinks he's a myth, yes he exists.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with SP.
    RC7 wrote: »

Hmmm, interesting. But such a Keyser Söze-esque figure implies at least references to Blofeld. But how can this be executed? I mean, if you take "The Usual Suspects" as a template, then you're merely "playing" with the character Blofeld, as a means of confusion...not actually using Blofeld. I'm not sure if I could be happy with that.

Hmmm, interesting. But such a Keyser Söze-esque figure implies at least references to Blofeld. But how can this be executed? I mean, if you take "The Usual Suspects" as a template, then you're merely "playing" with the character Blofeld, as a means of confusion...not actually using Blofeld. I'm not sure if I could be happy with that.

I don't think they will use The Usual Suspects as a template, but they could easily use at least some elements of the Keyser Soze character/myth and adapt them to Fleming's work. If Oberhauser and Blofeld are one and the same, it could easily be done. And Blofeld did use aliases in the novels and Bond considered him dead or out of the game before the events of OHMSS.
    Just my two cents but I like the idea of reports of a leader of a criminal
    Organisation, several descriptions of him ( insert the Fleming descriptions
    From the Books) but no one's sure as there is so little information about him
    As most informants are killed.

I don't think they will use The Usual Suspects as a template, but they could easily use at least some elements of the Keyser Soze character/myth and adapt them to Fleming's work. If Oberhauser and Blofeld are one and the same, it could easily be done. And Blofeld did use aliases in the novels and Bond considered him dead or out of the game before the events of OHMSS.

I'm not sure if I like that idea. I think this kind of construction could result in "overthinking" things.....in trying to do "too much" to get some mystery back about the character Blofeld.

I personally prefer that the name "Oberhauser" is used for real, and not as an alias. I mean, Oberhauser was also a real name in the short story "Octopussy".

I still hope that Waltz is playing a wunderful Kronsteen/Largo-esque main villain called Franz Oberhauser, that is related to his father Hannes Oberhauser from the books. A main villain that doesn't get in the fields like Silva, but that is an elegant, snobist, yet spychotic, cruel millionaire. The CEO of S.P.E.C.T.R.E. so to say:
    christoph_waltz.jpg
    Christoph-Waltz-Black-Wool-Silk-Blazer-43.jpg
    tumblr_mzc6hnBlMM1rz41lqo1_500.gif

But then I hope that Blofeld is played by another actor. And that he only appears in a very tiny cameo at the very end of the film, that is at the same time a scene with big impact, like Silva's entrance in "Skyfall".

Still, I have a feeling that my...ehm...."wish" will not happen (sadly) ;-). I like to be surprised anyway.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

I love this idea.

It's hard to do a 'super-villain' character like Blofeld in a contemporary limelight. Having Blofeld be a mysterious and omnipresent myth-like figure makes more sense to me. Following this line of thought, Blofeld would play a similar role to Big Brother in Owell's '1984'; functioning as a evil presence who is never seen but places the fear of God in his minions.

If they went in this direction it would also be a nice play on the early Connery films where Blofeld's presence was only ever alluded to and never realised (at least till Pleasance's appearance).

I hope they do go down this avenue. Maybe in 'Spectre' Bond will be after Blofeld and will know that Oberhauser is probably quite high on the SPECTRE food-chain and when Bond finally confronts Oberhauser he reveals to him that Blofeld never existed and was merely a myth put out amongst SPECTRE underlings.

In this way 'Spectre' could function as a 'Blofeld Begins' type film as we meet Franz Oberhauser (the actual head of SPECTRE) and gradually see him assume to Blofeld mantle leading into Bond 25.

This way Waltz comes into 'Spectre' looking like this:
    tumblr_mphec7MNIg1sy7lbzo8_500.jpg

And appears in Bond 25 like this:
    8364077_orig.jpg
    Not saying it was planned but I'm reading Christopher Wood's
    Moonraker, and his description of Bond's first meeting with Drax
    With Drax on the far side of the huge room, walking towards Bond
    while speaking. Seems very similar to what they came up with for
    Introducing Silva. :)
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Not saying it was planned but I'm reading Christopher Wood's
    Moonraker, and his description of Bond's first meeting with Drax
    With Drax on the far side of the huge room, walking towards Bond
    while speaking. Seems very similar to what they came up with for
    Introducing Silva. :)

Could very well be. Sam Mendes and Daniel Craig are "Ian Fleming junkies" by now. I recall from the behind-the-scenes documentary for "Casino Royale" that Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson basically called Martin Campbell saying: "We can go ahead with it. Prepare reading "Casino Royale" extensively!"
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 14,844
    Seems that my speculation about Blofeld being a sort of Keyser Soze is going a long way. I think it would fit Waltz/Oberhauser: he is first seen as a rather friendly character, a la Verbal Kint, then revealed as a more sinister figure. Blofeld could be mentioned early on, M saying that he is a myth, this ghost (sorry for the bad pun) who appeared at the end of the Cold War supposedly from Poland, who became a contractual for every secret service, mafia group and terrorist organization in Europe, selling information and murder, etc. But he is now considered mainly to be a spy's urban legend.

Anyway, if Blofeld is indeed in Spectre, it is more likely that he will be played by Waltz. If not, then by an actor not revealed yet. But this is more unlikely IMO because: 1)the casting would need to be very impressive to top or even beat the casting of Christoph Waltz and Javier Bardem and 2)because it would need to remain secret.
  • RC7RC7

I love this idea.

Me too. Handled carefully it would be a brilliant way to allude to the Blofeld mythos without having to explicitly show anything.
    Seems that my speculation about Blofeld being a sort of Keyser Soze is going a long way. I think it would fit Waltz/Oberhauser: he is first seen as a rather friendly character, a la Verbal Kint, then revealed as a more sinister figure. Blofeld could be mentioned early on, M saying that he is a myth, this ghost (sorry for the bad pun) who appeared at the end of the Cold War supposedly from Poland, who became a contractual for every secret service, mafia group and terrorist organization in Europe, selling information and murder, etc. But he is now considered mainly to be a spy's urban legend.

Anyway, if Blofeld is indeed in Spectre, it is more likely that he will be played by Waltz. If not, then by an actor not revealed yet. But this is more unlikely IMO because: 1)the casting would need to be very impressive to top or even beat the casting of Christoph Waltz and Javier Bardem and 2)because it would need to remain secret.

Sort of like
    Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise
    in 21 Jump Street,
    Matt Damon
    in Interstellar,
    Samuel L. Jackson
    in the Post Credits Scene of Iron Man or
    Vader being Luke's father
    in Star Wars - I know these aren't all particularly spoilerific, as they've been out for a while, but better safe than sorry.

But my point is, if they wanted a big name actor, other than Waltz, to play Blofeld, and they didn't want it getting out - they could easily film the scenes on a closed set and have audiences not the wiser until the film was released.