Everyday Drinking

Comments

retrokitty wrote:
    CommanderRoss, I've had that Kingfisher... it's readily available in all the Indian restaurants in town... and there are a lot of them. :) It's a nice light beer but I go for a more hearty beer with flavour and lean towards Russian Imperial Stouts.

Trigger wrote:
    Whilst drinking Vodka alone in an appartment in Poland may seem quite sad, I have to say I feel very Bond like right now!

Trigger, drinking alone is not sad at all... In fact, please read this article so you can really appreciate the benefits of drinking alone.

It's a favourite of mine and always reminds me of a good friend. I hope you appreciate it like I do. :)

The Zen of Drinking Alone

Awesome article @retrokitty, it has inspired me to get on the drink again tonight, just me, me and my bottle!

Really funny article but also insightful and full of so much truth! A sign of a truly good friend is someone who you can sit with in silence and feel completely at ease and happy with-and drinking alone kind of replicates this, and is indeed much more enjoyable than drinking drinks you don't really want with people you don't really want to be with making mindless chitchat!

At the moment Zubrowka is my Vodka of choice, a very high quality Polish drink. Brought a bottle back from Duty Free so I know what I'm doing tonight!

@CommanderRoss, any Vodka recommendations? Particular brands? On its own or mixed? If mixed with what? Personally loving the Zubrowka either on its own or with apple juice.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Trigger wrote:

@CommanderRoss, any Vodka recommendations? Particular brands? On its own or mixed? If mixed with what? Personally loving the Zubrowka either on its own or with apple juice.
    Well I've always got a bottle of Ruski Standard (Russian Standard) in the freezer. Gray Goose is fine as well, and so is Ketel One.

I keep my vodka in the freezer, so ice is not needed, and I drink it straight. If I've got a lesser brand I'll most likely mix it with bitter lemon with some slices of lemon. It's a lovely drink on a warm day.
    Cheers for that @CommanderRoss, I know the Grey Goose well but not tried the other 2. Will stick my Zubrowka in the freezer too on your recommendation.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Yes... freezer vodka is the best. I stick with Iceberg Vodka from Canada - I like to buy local if the locals make a decent product. And Iceberg is that - in addition to being made with melted icebergs! Cool bottle too. Try it if you can.

3f8ece4c5976846cd920e1099a3f0211.jpg

Harvesting the icebergs!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Trigger wrote:

Well I've always got a bottle of Ruski Standard (Russian Standard) in the freezer. Gray Goose is fine as well, and so is Ketel One.

I keep my vodka in the freezer, so ice is not needed, and I drink it straight. If I've got a lesser brand I'll most likely mix it with bitter lemon with some slices of lemon. It's a lovely drink on a warm day.

Well said Commander.

Ruskki Standard Platinum (its worth paying extra) every time and in Russia it's heresy not to serve vodka straight from the freezer. I never drink vodka in English bars as even if you can dodge rubbish like Smirnoff and get a decent brand they leave it sitting on the bar at room temperature with everything else.
  • i tried absinthe last November F*CKING HELL!!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I got some Crown Royal Maple for my birthday last week. so I am gonna try it tonight on the rocks, with Dr. Pepper, and with Root Beer. Dr. Pepper/Root Beer seem to go good with just about anything...do I dare say the perfect mixer!
    Treated myself to one of these tonight. It's 'almost' a Vesper, as I have no Lillet around the house.

It's 3 measures of gin (I had Tangureay), one of Vodka (Smirnoff) and half a measure of dry vermouth with olives.

So basically I used the 'Vesper' recipe and replaced certain items with what I had around, lol. Damn good though!

photo1_zps5bd8e2cb.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Looks good indeed!
    I tried grappa two months ago. Surprisingly easy to drink and lovely digestive.
    The GF and I are testing red wines, as it turnes out she does like quite a few of them.
    Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @Master_Dahark looks very nice. Kina Lillet is no longer produced (due to the high content in quinine I believe) but from what I have heard you can mimic the bitterness by adding a little bit of Angostura to the mix.
    The GF and I are testing red wines, as it turnes out she does like quite a few of them.

I love red wine, but it often makes me sneeze.
    You can tell from my avatar I enjoy the booze haha, and offering it up to my friends. But there's a dark side to everything and it can get out of control.

Funny story time. I went out pig hunting with a few of my close friends and one other guy who I did not know (and frankly, he looked like bad news). Well we got out into the heart of the bush and as we were having no luck on the hunting and we decided we got hammered out there on booze. 1 bottle of whiskey, 2 ciders and 6 beers later i was close to passing out when this other guy who I wasnt friends with just starts laughing. First just slowly but then he is Like he is fully cracking up for no reason, a desent into a dark world

We try to talk to him but he started wailing and flying his arms about yelling "Ive had enough of the bush".

Morale of the story: Enjoy in moderation gents.

TakeASip wrote:
    You can tell from my avatar I enjoy the booze haha, and offering it up to my friends. But there's a dark side to everything and it can get out of control.

Funny story time. I went out pig hunting with a few of my close friends and one other guy who I did not know (and frankly, he looked like bad news). Well we got out into the heart of the bush and as we were having no luck on the hunting and we decided we got hammered out there on booze. 1 bottle of whiskey, 2 ciders and 6 beers later i was close to passing out when this other guy who I wasnt friends with just starts laughing. First just slowly but then he is Like he is fully cracking up for no reason, a desent into a dark world

We try to talk to him but he started wailing and flying his arms about yelling "Ive had enough of the bush".

Morale of the story: Enjoy in moderation gents.

He just said he'd had enough of the bush, not booze... ;-)

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    And what are we all drinking this holiday season?

I'm making merry with: Mulled Wine and some Mead
    How about you?

I hope to somehow make eggnog tomorrow; bit tricky here finding it (I am too lazy to make it from scratch, though happy to add cinnamon and a dash of brandy).

Cheers!
    Mulled wine I love, but also many beers. Roasted Nuts by the Rebellion Brewery in Marlow is one of my favourite.
  • It'll be hot buttered rum for me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm all in all rather stocked for Christmas and new years.

Cherry Cordials Liquor.
    Peach Shnapps
    and some raspberry vodka by Svidka.
    I've been drinking some proper vodka-lemonade the last vew days. Half a lemon squeezed, put in as much vodka as you can handle and finish it up with water and suger, as much as you need. love it.
  • since i'm a lager lout i shall be drinking Becks and Carlsberg this xmas.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I've been drinking what I refer to as Skyfall. It's a variation of the Vesper. 3 parts gin, 1 part vodka shaken and poured into a chilled martini glass. Then in a miniature shaker, shake 1 part blue curacao, pour over the drink, and let the Skyfall :). Served straight up with a twist.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I enjoy whiskey. Got my hands on some lovely Japanese Whiskey for Christmas. Also have a ten year old bottle of Jack. A mate of mine brews his own liquor, roughly 78% alcohol volume, and uses the juices of daffodils to flavour it. It sounds weird but the juices mute the harsh taste of the alcohol so it goes down with minimal fuss. Has been the cause of many a blackout as a result, though!
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    Right now: Zoladkowa Gorzka tradycyjna Polish vodka. Kinda candy-flavoured. Christmas gift from me mother-in-law. Mm!
    IMG_00551_zpsdce03632.jpg

goes very well with fish-fingers and chips.
    Isn't that a waste of very good champagne? Krug's supposed to be top notch.
    Isn't that a waste of very good champagne? Krug's supposed to be top notch.

Not really - I only eat top notch fish-fingers and chips.

• Today I picked up a bottle of wine that had a familiar name. I hope it doesn't kill me!

FullSizeRender_zpsc0972301.jpg
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Today I picked up a bottle of wine that had a familiar name. I hope it doesn't kill me!

FullSizeRender_zpsc0972301.jpg

Isnt that what Partridge ordered when dining with Tony Hayers?