"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• :)) I love it! Poor Brenda ;)) Liverpool have indeed lost there bite! :))

I don't really understand how football works. We lose every week yet until Everton just won tonight we were still top half of the table. Are there really 9 worse teams than Liverpool in the league? I really feel for these clubs below us because they must be truly shocking, although I really cannot comprehend how they can be worse than the dross being served up by the Christopher Ecclestone tribute act whose career has dropped off a cliff Rick Sylvester style only with no sign of a parachute forthcoming.
    Its quite surreal it's role reversal from last season, United were just as abject. The body language of the Liverpool players says it all, under Moyes it was the same, heart not in it looking down and no self belief. Forgetting about Suarez for a moment, there is obviously something wrong in camp rumours of fractured relationships in the dressing room are appearing. Ultimately Rodgers will go same way as Moyes if things don't improve quick.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    :)) I love it! Poor Brenda ;)) Liverpool have indeed lost there bite! :))

I don't really understand how football works. We lose every week yet until Everton just won tonight we were still top half of the table. Are there really 9 worse teams than Liverpool in the league? I really feel for these clubs below us because they must be truly shocking, although I really cannot comprehend how they can be worse than the dross being served up by the Christopher Ecclestone tribute act whose career has dropped off a cliff Rick Sylvester style only with no sign of a parachute forthcoming.
    Its quite surreal it's role reversal from last season, United were just as abject. The body language of the Liverpool players says it all, under Moyes it was the same, heart not in it looking down and no self belief. Forgetting about Suarez for a moment, there is obviously something wrong in camp rumours of fractured relationships in the dressing room are appearing. Ultimately Rodgers will go same way as Moyes if things don't improve quick.

I agree. Thing is by this stage of the season it was clear Moyes had to go but they limped on for another 3 months because it's somehow seen as not honourable for a big club in England to sack the manager without 'giving him time'. Although count Real and Milan's trophies and they often go through 2 managers a season so I don't really know where this theory stems from. Probably from them not sacking Fergie in the 'Mark Robins' game and then reaping the rewards - but how often is that going to happen?

I wouldn't mind if there was the slightest sign of improvement game on game but on the contrary. We started the season playing shit and 4 months later we've just got progressively worse. His signings are awful, we play different formations and tactics every game (none of which work), his substitutions are a joke - just what will be served now by 'giving him time' exactly? 99% of clubs would've sacked him weeks ago but we have to pretend we're different and have more class than just sacking the manager for not winning games - how gauche to do the same as all those other clubs.

I'm afraid he's been found out with Suarez to hide just how poor this team is. You have to feel sorry for Suarez because to drag this shambles to the title would have been one of the greatest achievements ever and he really deserved that medal.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Only Premier League fans here? From a Portuguese view point (and not passionate) can you guys explaine me how can Wenger still be Arsenal's coach after so many years without winning anything substancial?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Only Premier League fans here? From a Portuguese view point (and not passionate) can you guys explaine me how can Wenger still be Arsenal's coach after so many years without winning anything substancial?

Chelsea my friend.
    photo.jpg

Wonder as you're from Portugal, what your thoughts on José Mourinho are.
    Speaking of Arsene, I have Arsenal friends wonder the same thing. Might not win many trophies, but he's very good at balancing the books.

• Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Benny wrote: »

Chelsea my friend.
    photo.jpg

Wonder as you're from Portugal, what your thoughts on José Mourinho are.
    Speaking of Arsene, I have Arsenal friends wonder the same thing. Might not win many trophies, but he's very good at balancing the books.

Hi Benny. Looks like it will be a good year for you my friend.
    Well regarding José Mourinho, and being myself a Benfica fan (quite fanatic in fact), i still have some hard feelings concerning the way he left Benfica (the 1st team we trainned).
    I have no doubt that is a first class coach, but in terms of training and tactics and especially on the mental/emotional side. And i never liked that much the way he's teams played this year's Chelsea is playing very good football.
    To be honest i dont like his character.
    He's way too arrogante. I dont' like that character he portrays, and sometime he gets really rude and .. well, just stupid.
    But no doubt he is a great coach.
    From a really selfish point of view? I am hoping Derby take Chelsea to extra time so they are knackered for playing my Norwich boys on Saturday!!! :-bd
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Anyone who likes Jose Mourinho don't deserve any respect from me... You don't like Vladimir Putin or Silvio Berlusconi either, do you? And from a footballing point of view he will always be remembered as the guy who won a bunch of titles but had no influence on the stylistic evolution of the game what so ever. Apart from making press conferences a war zone of course. That's his achiivement...
    DAMN!!!!!! My plan didn't work then!!! ;))
    Hard earned draw yesterday lads, well done! Tough game away there, lets hope we can pick up 3 points next match!
    At home to Millwall tomorrow which is ironic seeing as its Boxing day! b-( :)) Here's hoping for 3 points to keep us in touch with the pace setters!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    At home to Millwall tomorrow which is ironic seeing as its Boxing day! b-( :)) Here's hoping for 3 points to keep us in touch with the pace setters!!

Well done your boys, keep this up amd you will be back with the elite soon
    largo2 wrote: »

Well done your boys, keep this up amd you will be back with the elite soon

Oh Largo if only! All that hard work undone after losing to Reading yesterday!
    Another successful cup run for my Norwich boys!!! :)) :-bd
    Concentrate on promotin now then

[-O<
  • Well, I'm quite content with life in the footballing world. Quietly, stealthily - like Bond with a duck on his head - my little team, Newport County have made their way into the top 5 in League 2. Nobody appears to have noticed. Pompey up next. Shhhh!
    Concentrate on promotin now then

[-O<

That is always how i think Largo! Promotion or survival dependant upon which division we are in?!!! :))
    I'm from San Sebastián, our team is la Real Sociedad. And yesterday, with Moyes, we just beat Barça. This season we've beaten Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid and Barça. And as surprising as it may seem, Moyes is doing a great job so far.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 7,500
    0iker0 wrote: »
    I'm from San Sebastián, our team is la Real Sociedad. And yesterday, with Moyes, we just beat Barça. This season we've beaten Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid and Barça. And as surprising as it may seem, Moyes is doing a great job so far.

Well, congratulations... But yesterday's result seemed to be more about Barcas downfull and Luis Enriques stupidity than La Real's brilliance i must say. We havent won on Anoeta for six years, and still the idiot finds it necessary to rest both Messi and Neymar for this particular match... just after their holiday break... with only an easy cup match against Elche coming up... ~X( I don't get it, it doesn't make sense! We struggle there every year, but always with a weakened team with key players being rested for no good reason. No one seems to notice that its a game that should prioritized. Its just plain ridiculous! And incredibly frustrating...
    I see Wimbledon are causing trouble again!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 501
    jobo wrote: »
    0iker0 wrote: »

Well, congratulations... But yesterday's result seemed to be more about Barcas downfull and Luis Enriques stupidity than La Real's brilliance i must say. We havent won on Anoeta for six years, and still the idiot finds it necessary to rest both Messi and Neymar for this particular match... just after their holiday break... with only an easy cup match against Elche coming up... ~X( I don't get it, it doesn't make sense! We struggle there every year, but always with a weakened team with key players being rested for no good reason. No one seems to notice that its a game that should prioritized. Its just plain ridiculous! And incredibly frustrating...

The year you had every good player in the game, Piqué was sent out for double booking.

Anoeta is a hard pitch.

It's funny that this year we've only won 4 matches this season, 3 of witch have been against Real Madrid, Barça and Atlético Madrid. (And 2 of witch have been under Moyes)
    Norwich looking for a new manager
    Rogue?
    Norwich looking for a new manager
    Rogue?

Yep! Although i did not agree with the appointment? I am surprised considering we are 7th in the league. I like Mike Phelan alot so we will see what the club does next? X_X

I dont know what you are talking about. With Mignolet in goal, scraping a 2-1 win goes down as a comfortable win for us.

I dont know what you are talking about. With Mignolet in goal, scraping a 2-1 win goes down as a comfortable win for us.

:)) My brother is a big Liverpool fan as well as my best mate! They were sending me a few messages about how dire it was!

:)) My brother is a big Liverpool fan as well as my best mate! They were sending me a few messages about how dire it was!

What? Last night? What are they talking about? That's as good as it's been this season. We've scraped far deeper through the bottom of the barrel than that.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Sadly, we won't see this image anymore--at least, not with Gerrard in Liverpool gear.
    gerrard-craig.jpg
    TripAces wrote: »
    Sadly, we won't see this image anymore--at least, not with Gerrard in Liverpool gear.
    gerrard-craig.jpg

I can't fault Gerrard's loyalty to Liverpool. It is a real shame their are not more players like him.
    "No more players like gerrard"? Really? Or do you mean like in "no more players as overrated both on an off the field"? ;))
    "No more players like gerrard"? Really? Or do you mean like in "no more players as overrated both on an off the field"? ;))

I mean a player who is loyal to a team for pretty much the whole of his career instead of following the money to as many clubs as possible!!!

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Overrated? You mean now? To which I'd agree. But over the course of his career? No, I'd disagree with that.