Why did they not replace Roger Moore in 1980?

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    The point is that "Fleming's Bond" didn't use "really cool lines" very often or at all. That's all Terrence Young/Sean Connery's Bond. So people who claim to be Fleming purists are most often ignorant of what they claim to love.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,965
    Im happy Roger Moore played Bond for as along as he did. Im one of the few who loved it that it did AVTAK. Rogers run has Bond is the 1 run I wouldn't change anything about. I thought all 7 movies he did were perfect for him and the series. [/quote]

Agreed. While his tenure may not hit the highs with quite the same frequency as the early connery's, they're pretty damn consistent and every one of them is hugely entertaining to me. If I want Fleming I'll pick up a novel. [/quote]

Exactly. There are so many things I would change about the Connery films, Dalton, and Pierce to make them better. Moores movies I wouldn't change anything. [/quote]

Yes, they were consistent, all right, consistently bad. It's the worst reviewed stretch of Bond films, and it took the series three decades to recover. He turned Bond into a comedy, a parody.

There's things I'd change about the COnnery films. What's your point? Moore's films are still mediocre films AT BEST.[/quote]

My point how about the fact they ******* up on a great 2 film storyline line when they decided to make YOLT before OHMSS and completely ******* up that story. Thats what I would change about the Connery films. Leave the first 4 the same and switch OHMSS and YOLT and have a true adaptation of the novel YOLT. Maybe if they had done the films that way Connery wouldn't have left after his 5th movie.
    Edited for unacceptable language. Please try and comply by the forum's terms and conditions.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,965
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    After MR they were considering other actors. But in uncertain times and with Moore still available (even if they had to renegotiate his contract every time), they wanted to bet on the actor they knew could still appeal to audiences. Especially when NSNA was going to be released, with Connery starring in it, EON feared that introducing a new Bond would be too big a leap into the unknown. Asking Moore back made perfect sense.

I got nothing on AVTAK though. Perhaps it's a sign of a lack of faith in the film that they preferred to keep Moore as an asset. Perhaps they ran out of time and auditioning other actors wasn't going as fast as it should. I don't know. It's a troubled film and I would have preferred OP to be Moore's swansong.

Thats the big question and I'm sure Roger has given his reason as to why he did AVTAK. Other than money maybe Roger wanted to do 1 more just so people wouldn't think he just came back for Octopussy just to beat Connery.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sark wrote: »
    If I want Fleming I'll pick up a novel.

A good point. Even with Connery there were marked differences between the cinematic and literary Bond characters. The last few novels after the films Fleming did change the character a bit to fit the films more. But at least with the early novels there were virtually no one-liners and Bond has a lot more trepidation about his job and killing than Connery ever does. "That's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six" is not a line that would appear in Fleming.

Wait a minute, that 'you've had you six' is a really cool line. One of the best in the series. Does Moore have any cool moments using his license to kill?

Oh wait, flipping Jaws out the window like he did to Tee Hee, that's right.

There's still that great scene with Locque. But then again, no-one has ever had such an awesome moment as Connery in DN.

Once again, @doubleohdad, you seem to blame this on Roger Moore. He didn't write the script for his films and neither did Connery. Your point is invalid.
  • RC7RC7
    Yes, they were consistent, all right, consistently bad.

In your opinion. I and many other millions would respectfully disagree.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    They're opinions. We can agree to disagree. It's all good.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If I want Fleming I'll pick up a novel.

A good point. Even with Connery there were marked differences between the cinematic and literary Bond characters. The last few novels after the films Fleming did change the character a bit to fit the films more. But at least with the early novels there were virtually no one-liners and Bond has a lot more trepidation about his job and killing than Connery ever does. "That's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six" is not a line that would appear in Fleming.

Wait a minute, that 'you've had you six' is a really cool line. One of the best in the series. Does Moore have any cool moments using his license to kill?

Oh wait, flipping Jaws out the window like he did to Tee Hee, that's right.

There's still that great scene with Locque. But then again, no-one has ever had such an awesome moment as Connery in DN.

Once again, @doubleohdad, you seem to blame this on Roger Moore. He didn't write the script for his films and neither did Connery. Your point is invalid.

The scene with the assassin in FYEO is Rog's finest moment in his best Bond film.

And like I explained before, the star does have approval of the script, though I actually lump Guy Hamilton and for all this as well since his desire to make these films camp really contributed to the erosion of the franchise. There's a reason that EON considered Adam West.

Good god.
    RC7 wrote: »

There's a reason those films are rated so poorly with the critics, RC.
  • Moore was a great Bond in FYEO, no need for a replacement.
    Let's not forget that these films were massive, and making serious dollars. There was no way the studios wanted to upset the apple cart.
    Bond was their saving grace back then. And rocky
  • I come back to the Moore films more often than others, I'll admit. Maybe a nostalgia thing as I grew up with him as Bond.

The 'critics' also rated what is probably the film with the sloppiest and laziest plot in the franchise as a masterpiece. Although by Doubleohdad logic we can just blame Craig for approving the script anyway ;)

Critics are suckers for a downbeat or depressing ending, everyone knows that. It has been a not insignificant part of the Craig films critical success (although they've done a lot other right). How the hell else would titanic be lauded as a masterpiece?
  • RC7RC7

Who cares about critics? It's a slippery slope discussing the merits of critics on a fan site. For that you'd have to go to a general film forum. It's the audience that decides whether a film is ultimately worth their time.

Roger kept the audiences coming for twelve years straight, His films rank at the yearly worldwide Box Office as follows, 4th, 4th, 4th, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th. Not bad going in my eyes. Conners smashed it during his run, but every Bond since Moore has had at least one film outside the top 5 for their respective year and obviously Rog is the only Bond other than Conners to have a number one film worldwide. No one denies his time was up, but he always delivered.

He also holds the record for the most watched film broadcast on British television - LALD with 23.5 million viewers, with TSWLM in third with 22.9 million. Spielberg's Jaws takes the number two. I think it's fairly evident that there were a good portion of the British public who very much indulged in what Rog brought to the table. Whether you think it's bad is up to you, but I'd argue that figures like that suggest the British public, at least, feel quite differently.
  • I think people are assuming that actors have far more power than they actually do. Even lead actors and established stars have to bend the knee to the director on occasion. According to John Glen, Roger Moore didn't want to don the clown make-up or the gorilla costume in Octopussy. It took a fair bit of persuading to get him to change his mind. I think Glen was right on the clown, but slightly misguided on the gorilla. Perhaps people should bear this in mind when having a pop at Moore. He can't be accused of reticence regarding the FYEO Locque car kick on the one hand, and then lambasted for the clown/gorilla get-up, on the other. Criticism should be consistent even if it cannot always be fair.

Surely the main reason that Moore wasn't replaced after FYEO was because of the Battle of the Bonds of 1983. With EON under pressure and Connery and McClory looming on the horizon, they needed Moore. Even though money played a major part, it should be pointed out that Roger Moore is usually the first to report for duty when the Bond World needs him, even today. It is only fitting that Octopussy beat its rival at the box-office that year. It is by far the better film, and I'd always back Cubby's Bond team against any interloper.

Sir Roger Moore was loved by the Bond crew, and seemed to get on well with all of them, from the highest echelons to the lowest tea-carrier. Lazenby proved that there could be life after Connery; Moore proved that Bond could thrive after Connery.

We all have different tastes, and different favourites, but I for one think that we owe quite a debt to Roger Moore. You don't play Bond 7 times if you are a dud. For a whole generation, Moore was Bond. To many, he still is.

He would chuckle at some of the criticism lobbed his way so consistently on here this week. Chuckle because he would be far more savage about his acting than his detractors have been!
    I love the roger Moore era except for two things

1. I would prefer a darker more down to earth Moonraker
    2. I wish octopussy was his last film
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Roger Moore is usually the first to report for duty when the Bond World needs him, even today.

That's very true, I criticise him as Bond from time to time too but I do admit that, of all the Bond's, he seems to be the only actor to publicly embrace the role. The others all want to distance themselves from it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Quite right @RC7. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Cubby had to make the call when it mattered. We can argue until the cows come home that Lazenby should have done more, or Dalton done a third, or Moore finished in 1980, but we have what we have and for whatever reasons the series continues to thrive and grow.

Moore's films were light hearted, yes, but that suited the audiences of the day. Had Cubby gone for hard hitting, film noir or tried to reproduce FRWL over and over, the series would have died a death. It had to evolve and change in order to survive. We can look back and pick the errors out, but only Cubby and Harry, and Barbara B now have had to make the big decisions to keep the franchise alive. So Moore carried on and the films carried on making money. And because of that Dalton and Brosnan and now Craig got their chances as well.
    Being James Bond is a hell of a thing to take on. Connery wanted to do other things and be known for other roles. It was tough for him. Lazenby was, well...lazenby. Moore did other roles, but did not get angry about typecasting like connery did.
    Roger Moore was a great brand with a large following, his tenure as 007 put a lot of butts in the cinema seats, there was no internet and downloading even copies of 007 movies on videotape were rare.

Roger Moore was the one actor who put his own stamp on a role and he was wanted by the general audience until he decided that it was enough with what I consider a great movie I always liked AVTAK. A Roger Moore 007 movie was a big happening in those years, he was with Connery easily the most popular 007 so far.

For the generations that grew up to be a 007 fan after Sir Moore it is perhaps difficult to realize that without him there would not have been any franchise with their favorite secret agent. Rogers version made it possible that we today enjoy a 24th outing when the franchise was next to over with DAF.

The 'critics' also rated what is probably the film with the sloppiest and laziest plot in the franchise as a masterpiece. Although by Doubleohdad logic we can just blame Craig for approving the script anyway ;)

Critics are suckers for a downbeat or depressing ending, everyone knows that. It has been a not insignificant part of the Craig films critical success (although they've done a lot other right). How the hell else would titanic be lauded as a masterpiece?

lol, critics have no other objective other than to gage a film's merits and faults.

You should praise Craig for two very good scripts and one merely good one. I'd rather watch a flawed QoS than any of the just super-silly Moore films.
    Jaws drops a brick on his foot like Daffy Duck.
    How is that like Bond at all?
    NicNac wrote: »
    Quite right @RC7. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Cubby had to make the call when it mattered. We can argue until the cows come home that Lazenby should have done more, or Dalton done a third, or Moore finished in 1980, but we have what we have and for whatever reasons the series continues to thrive and grow.

Moore's films were light hearted, yes, but that suited the audiences of the day. Had Cubby gone for hard hitting, film noir or tried to reproduce FRWL over and over, the series would have died a death. It had to evolve and change in order to survive. We can look back and pick the errors out, but only Cubby and Harry, and Barbara B now have had to make the big decisions to keep the franchise alive. So Moore carried on and the films carried on making money. And because of that Dalton and Brosnan and now Craig got their chances as well.

I don't like casting EON as this bastion of perfection. If where up to EON, John Gavin would have been an American Bond. They did sign him. And they considered Adam West, the King of Camp.

Lazenby deserved his fate, he was an idiot, but going the soft, kind Bond ruined the franchise slowly but steadily.
    Watch Kananga's death in LALD and tell me that's cool.
    Ugh.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,693
    Movie critics hated the first Taken film, which turned out to be widely regarded by the general audience as one of the best action movies of the 2000's. Point being, movie critics should rarely be trusted, if ever.

And @doubleohdad, you need to accept the fact that Roger Moore kept the franchise alive. Without him the franchise would have died, and Dalton, Brosnan and Craig would never have played Bond.
    Im shocked that another thread has become about @doubleohdad's bizarre obsession with hating Roger Moore.
    Movie critics hated the first Taken film, which turned out to be widely regarded by the general audience as one of the best action movies of the 2000's. Point being, movie critics should rarely be trusted, if ever.

I don't think that critics are perfect, and I use them as one measure of whether I want to see a picture or not. I thought Taken was cool, and I distinctly remember Siskel and Ebert not liking ALiens, a film I greatly admire, but the 70's films are what they are in terms of lack of quality and deserve their ranking.
    Im shocked that another thread has become about @doubleohdad's bizarre obsession with hating Roger Moore.

Sir, simply ignore my posts if you don't want to debunk or debate them.
    Perfectly fine, everyone's being polite and exchanging ideas.
    You like Moore Camp and giggle fest, I like a good, tough Bond movie, everyone's different.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,693
    Without Moore, the franchise would have died in the 1970's. Plain and simple. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if EON hadn't gone in the direction they went with Moore, the series wouldn't have lived to see its 20th anniversary. Without Moore, there would be no Dalton, Brosnan or Craig. Lazenby, or any of the actors suggested at the time never had the star power Moore had to keep the franchise going after Connery. Yes Lazenby would have gotten it after several films, but the franchise needed immediate success, which Moore delivered 100%.
    Derailing every thread you're in to hate on Moore isnt "polite" no matter how many times you say 'sir', sir.
  • RC7RC7
    Watch Kananga's death in LALD and tell me that's cool.
    Ugh.

I would say it's no more or less cool than DN's rather cartoonish death, GF being sucked out of a jet, Celli's hammy acting for Largo's death to name but a few.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

You like Moore Camp and giggle fest, I like a good, tough Bond movie, everyone's different.
    The danger for you is that you are only really taking one line on these forums and you will burn yourself out. Best get on to the Connery News and Appreciation thread and give us some Connery love. Just bashing Moore constantly means you will simply tire out within a few weeks. ;-)
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146

The danger for you is that you are only really taking one line on these forums and you will burn yourself out. Best get on to the Connery News and Appreciation thread and give us some Connery love. Just bashing Moore constantly means you will simply tire out within a few weeks. ;-)

I appreciate your politeness, Nic Nac :)