Why did they not replace Roger Moore in 1980?

1789101113»

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I hate to agree with you ;) but yes Brosnan I find also to be a light weight actor
    and Dalton is much more a stage actor, for whatever reason they didn't have
    that magic " Star Quality" of Connery or Moore as Bond.
    Brosnan I think does have a star quality but in a kind of light sort of way. I'd call Broz a B-movie star.
    Has anyone seen Sam Niell as Damien "AntiChrist" Thorn in Omen 3?
  • DrGorner wrote: »
    I hate to agree with you ;) but yes Brosnan I find also to be a light weight actor

Well said. Connery and Moore both had a larger than life screen presence and an x-factor that neither Dalton nor Brosnan had.
    I have all The Omen films and the remake,love them. :) and yes
    Sam Neil was very good in them, but not once did I think there's
    The next 007.
    I think a good "screen test" could have been Reilly, Ace of Spies - thought admittedly I haven't seen that in years.
    I can Remember bits of it, great show with WW1 spying, very realistic. In a
    39 steps way, but the character Reilly was very different from Bond. Still
    A great show for anyone interested in espionage.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    JCRendle wrote: »
    I think a good "screen test" could have been Reilly, Ace of Spies - thought admittedly I haven't seen that in years.

Great series directed by Martin Campbell, by the way...
    ggl007 wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Great series directed by Martin Campbell, by the way...
    I did not know this... :/

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    James brolin! He was thisclose to being bond. Terrifying

Proof that EON is not perfect.

In his screen tests his was wooden nad had a clear American accent. "Yoooguuurt. James Baaaand." Terrible.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Dalton would've been fantastic in 1981, but they chickened out
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    How dare someone quote He Who Shall Not Be Named ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Brosnan I think does have a star quality but in a kind of light sort of way. I'd call Broz a B-movie star.
    DrGorner wrote: »

Well said. Connery and Moore both had a larger than life screen presence and an x-factor that neither Dalton nor Brosnan had.

I'm in complete agreement with all the above. Moore and Connery are the greats imho. Unbelievable screen charisma for both of them. X factor in spades.

It's visible in any movie they made - not just Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    When Connery or Moore enters a room, everyone shuts up and looks at them. I remember Moore did a talk show here a few years ago. The presentator, other guests and people in the audience seemed like God had graced them with his presence.
    When Connery or Moore enters a room, everyone shuts up and looks at them. I remember Moore did a talk show here a few years ago. The presentator, other guests and people in the audience seemed like God had graced them with his presence.

He did!!! ;)
  • AVBAVB

You should praise Craig for two very good scripts and one merely good one. I'd rather watch a flawed QoS than any of the just super-silly Moore films.
    Jaws drops a brick on his foot like Daffy Duck.
    How is that like Bond at all?

Did you ever watch the final scene on the cruise ship in DAF? Every single Bond film is high camp to some degree. There are lesser degrees of course, like FRWL or much of what came after Moore, but let's not pretend Moore's era started the camp-fest.

Moore kept the series alive during the 70's but thankfully the series has moved on for the better.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I just don't care for the campy James bond. As I've gotten older, it's just become the worst thing
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Austin Powers killed camp for everyone. We can never look back on it the same way again thanks to Mike Myers.
  • RC7RC7
    I love camp Bond. Life's too short.