Why did they not replace Roger Moore in 1980?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Fun fact: the Moore tenure has more Oscars nominations and Golden Globes nominations than any other tenure in the franchise.

Fact: Secretaries and wives vote for oscars and golden globes. Everyone gives their votes away.

Don't movie critics vote at the golden globes? The same movie critics you trust in their reviews? Where's the consistency?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @doubleohdad - Please refrain from double, triple and quadruple posting.

I'm responding to different posts.

Then please use the edit button (found when you click on the little cog-like symbol next to the quote button.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    It's still double posting. And not very "polite" I might add. You can quote multiple posts and respond to them all.

Also just lol at respecting unnamed critics' opinions but not Oscar nominations.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    I prefer TSWLM to GF. Hands down. I realize that it is blasphemy to some for me to say that, but that's been my long held view.

TSWLM is genius.

I agree. I like GF more than most on here, but TSWLM is a work of art.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sark wrote: »
    It's still double posting. And not very "polite" I might add. You can quote multiple posts and respond to them all.

Also just lol at respecting unnamed critics' opinions but not Oscar nominations.

Golden Globes voters being movie critics. :)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think it might time to deploy the IFM...
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Already deployed my end, Commander.
    Roger Moore as Ruffus Ffolkes (North Sea Hijack) would have doubleohdad swimming in full gear underwater and throwing grenades in the water for a challenge.

Which you can do in one post.

I'm over forty, young man. I dunno how to gather more than one post in a response, in all honesty.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2015 Posts: 9,117
    And @doubleohdad, no matter how much you hate the Moore films, they are the most vital films in the franchise.

That's absolutely not true.

Without Moore, there would be no Craig as Bond.

Truth is truth, and I cannot argue with the above statement.
    Fun fact: the Moore tenure has more Oscars nominations and Golden Globes nominations than any other tenure in the franchise.

Fact: Secretaries and wives vote for oscars and golden globes. Everyone gives their votes away.

Just as well we have your holy grail of Rotten Tomatoes with its industry vetted contributors then. This guy is absolutely priceless. No U-turn too embarrassing. Do you work in politics doubleohdad?

I apologise - just too easy.

I agree with Murdock and MayDayDiVicenzo above, I think this comedian has strung us along long enough. IFM time methinks.

Which you can do in one post.

I'm over forty, young man. I dunno how to gather more than one post in a response, in all honesty.

Not sure if that it meant to be patronising, but it really isn't all that difficult. Just about everyone on this forum, young, old, manage it.
    If doubleohdad is still in his 40's or early 50's I feel very sorry for him that he hates the Moore outing so much, I'd kill to have been a teenager while Moore was Bond and to see his films in theaters.
    And @doubleohdad, no matter how much you hate the Moore films, they are the most vital films in the franchise.

That's absolutely not true.

Without Moore, there would be no Craig as Bond.

Truth is truth, and I cannot argue with the above statement.

Just as well we have your holy grail of Rotten Tomatoes with its industry vetted contributors then. This guy is absolutely priceless. No U-turn too embarrassing. Do you work in politics doubleohdad?

I apologise - just too easy.

Critics are simply stating that is good and bad about movies. What's your point? The Moore movies are mostly bad, and I think it's becoming easier for you to insult me rather than defend your position.
    Nope, I don't work in politics, I've worked on over 40 major motion pictures.
    @doubleohdad, Can you talk about Aspects of Bond you do like? What's your favorite Bond movie? Bond soundtrack? Bond actor? Also, do it without bringing up Moore. I'd like to see something more out of you besides Moore Sucks and I hate him. It's beyond Broken record. Move on already.
    And the Moore films are the one and only reason the franchise is still going to this day. Look mate, do you only enjoy films that are exceptionally well made? Can't you get a rush of excitement from simple, mindless films? I feel sorry for you if you don't see the Moore films for what they are - simple, mindless, non pretentious entertainement.
    Murdock wrote: »
    @doubleohdad, Can you talk about Aspects of Bond you do like? What's your favorite Bond movie? Bond soundtrack? Bond actor? Also, do it without bringing up Moore. I'd like to see something more out of you besides Moore Sucks and I hate him. It's beyond Broken record. Move on already.

I like the Connery, Laz and Craig Bonds, and their films for the most part, and do talk about that stuff on those threads. And with all politeness and respect, I think I can choose the subjects of my posts, thanks.
    I like the Connery, Laz and Craig Bonds, and their films for the most part, and do talk about that stuff on those threads. And with all politeness and respect, I think I can choose the subjects of my posts, thanks.

Yes It's nice to repeat yourself on a daily bases. With all the "politeness and respect." ;)
    If doubleohdad is still in his 40's or early 50's I feel very sorry for him that he hates the Moore outing so much, I'd kill to have been a teenager while Moore was Bond and to see his films in theaters.

Don't hate 'em, just think they're not very good and should be considered comedies?
    They are comedies, right?
    12015115195_6e4123c168_h.jpg

Sir Rog is unimpressed with you, @doubleohdad ;)
    If you don't see the Moore films for what they are - simple, mindless, non pretentious entertainement.

We agree!
    12015115195_6e4123c168_h.jpg

Sir Rog is unimpressed with you, @doubleohdad ;)

I wish he'd have looked that tough as Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    Are you gay @doubleohdad? You don't have to answer that, obviously.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    RC7 wrote: »
    Are you gay @doubleohdad? You don't have to answer that, obviously.

lol, if you have to resort to insults, you've lost the debate.
    Let's just say I like the cool, tough Bonds, not the soft, fluffy Bonds.
    Married a quarter decade.
    If you think that is in an insult, then I'm sorry, but it's you who has lost the debate. You've just lost any respect that you might have feasibly had on this forum.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    You guys and your man crushes on roger Moore. Jesus, you guys are a restraining order waiting to happen
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    I think he meant it as an slight, and took it thus. Did not mean to offend anyone, apologies if it came out like that. I'm certainly not interested in personally insulting anyone.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RC7 wrote: »
    while the novels adhere to a loose feel for real espionage, the films are not 'spy' films, they are works of overblown nonsense and flights of fancy with an espionage aesthetic. The only Bond pic that feels genuinely viable as a look at true espionage is FRWL. Other than that, forget it. Even the Craig pics are wildly fantastic in the cold light of day.

Once you take that into account it appears to me that Moore is at the opposite end of the spectrum from a FRWL, or an OHMSS, but that doesn't make his pictures any less viable. He's still on the spectrum given the context in which he's working. He was making pictures that were appropriate at the time. They're not to your taste, but they were never intended to be true espionage films, Bond had become it's own beast. A heightened, glamorous, fantastical world. So suggesting they're bad for not being 'spy' films is a moot point imo. It's why people refer to Bond films as 'Bond films', they're a sub genre of their own. Whether they should have been true 'spy' films is again up for debate, but the fact is 'they weren't' and for a lot of people they do what they do excellently and deliver what they promise.
    Quoted for perfection.
    =D>
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2015 Posts: 9,117
    I've worked on over 40 major motion pictures.

Let me guess - you are the director of Boat Trip and somehow hold Rog responsible for it tanking and ruining your promising career and denying you certain Oscar glory (or 90% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes which, let's face it, for you would be a greater triumph)?
    Murdock wrote: »
    Yes It's nice to repeat yourself on a daily bases

Daily? Try every 3.2 seconds. Top Gear on Dave is less repetitive than doubleohdad.
    The reviews that @doubleohdad loves so much are from Rottentomatoes. The Moore film with the most reviews is AVTAK with 45 reviews. Since when do 45 people dictate whether a film is good or bad? Films that tens of millions of people have seen? So you trust 0.000000001% of the people who saw the Moore films and reviewed them as bad? Do you know films such as Taken, Fight Club and The Green Mile were assassinated by movie critics, yet because cult films for general audiences?
  • RC7RC7
    I think he meant it as an slight, and took it thus. Did not mean to offend anyone, apologies if it came out like that. I'm certainly not interested in personally insulting anyone.

I'm didn't mean it as a slight actually. I certainly wouldn't do that. I was asking because of your almost constant references to Bond's toughness and Moore's softness. I just wondered if it was a personal preference, which would add a different context. I'm not suggesting straight men can't be into tough guys, it was just the frequency of your references to this that made me curious.

Ha ha, thanks @chrisisall