Is 'For Your Eyes Only' the most boring James Bond film?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    And indeed this thread is supposed to be about FYEO.

Any other thoughts on it being boring or not boring? I am firmly in the "It's one of Roger's finest and is great fun and has wonderful serious moments and is a solid Bond film" category. :D
    Well, FYEO is barely at 72% at RT, which I think makes it the highest-rated Moore Bond, so inherently it's more interesting because it's better made.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited December 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Well, FYEO is barely at 72% at RT, which I think makes it the highest-rated Moore Bond, so inherently it's more interesting because it's better made.

Eh, TSWLM is at 78%...but not going to get drawn into that again...
    edited December 2014 Posts: 5,080
    http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/fstbt.gif

Could do with @Dalton12's magnificent GIFs here!

Eh, TSWLM is at 78%...but not going to get drawn into that again...

I stand corrected!

Wonder how many would take TSWLM over FYEO?
    Most boring? Far from it, it's easily the most thrilling Bond film featuring Roger Moore.
    That's a difficult question. I would say that some would prefer the more down to earth take with FYEO, and some who would take the grand-scale TSWLM. I prefer FYEO, but only by two spots.
  • That's a difficult question. I would say that some would prefer the more down to earth take with FYEO, and some who would take the grand-scale TSWLM. I prefer FYEO, but only by two spots.

FYEO is a spy thriller,while TSWLM is pure entertainment and as such it is second to none and, just as GF, it made bond eternal. I gather,that - among those born past 1970- it made more Fans for the series than most ( if not all) of the later ones (and most of those made before) combined.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what he or anyone says! GF > TLD
    An objective analysis reveals that the supreme strength of Connery's performance along with certain iconic inventions alone are not enough to overcome its weak plot. TND has similar problems and strengths. At best, they are equal. Except that the Necros net fight combined with the ultimate Barry score tip the scales a bit in TLD's favour. This is an opinion, of course.

An even more objective analysis tells us that GF made Bond eternal,while TLD by the non hardcore fans is perceived as quite boring (and to be honest. From the moment the film hits Afghanistan it is. Apart from the plane fight of course).

You can be a hard core fan and have gripes against TLD. As much as I have gripes against Dalton's performance and Glen's direction I still stuck by Bond during that time when Bond wasn't cool at all and at the lowest point in the series ...audiences just had higher standards .. and no not because serious ..but just boring ... there is a difference.

Really? A lower point than Bond surfing on a bloody tsunami?
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what he or anyone says! GF > TLD
    An objective analysis reveals that the supreme strength of Connery's performance along with certain iconic inventions alone are not enough to overcome its weak plot. TND has similar problems and strengths. At best, they are equal. Except that the Necros net fight combined with the ultimate Barry score tip the scales a bit in TLD's favour. This is an opinion, of course.

An even more objective analysis tells us that GF made Bond eternal,while TLD by the non hardcore fans is perceived as quite boring (and to be honest. From the moment the film hits Afghanistan it is. Apart from the plane fight of course).

You can be a hard core fan and have gripes against TLD. As much as I have gripes against Dalton's performance and Glen's direction I still stuck by Bond during that time when Bond wasn't cool at all and at the lowest point in the series ...audiences just had higher standards .. and no not because serious ..but just boring ... there is a difference.

Really? A lower point than Bond surfing on a bloody tsunami?

As a movie as a whole ...yes. neither film is great by any means.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

As a movie as a whole ...yes. neither film is great by any means.
    This IS just your opinion- right?
    Absolutely ...and many others as well. TLD under performed... LTK even more.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Well then, you must be correct. Money IS always a barometer for quality. 2001 & Blade Runner also underperformed. God knows the masses determine the quality of a product. If the 'herd' likes it, it MUST be good eats. If the flock rejects it, must be a bad egg.
    Thinking for one's self is so... taxing.
    :))
    Well then, you must be correct. Money IS always a barometer for quality. 2001 & Blade Runner also underperformed. God knows the masses determine the quality of a product. If the 'herd' likes it, it MUST be good eats. If the flock rejects it, must be a bad egg.
    Thinking for one's self is so... taxing.
    :))

No I reject it because its a cheap second rate film. If you like that then go for it.
    =))

I think very well for myself ..that's why I don't like rubbish.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If we get out of our Bond bubble, only about five of them stand out critically, and have garnered praise consistently.
    Out of our Bond bubble? In that case I ask you if, from a purely cinematic standpoint, you think FRWL was the 'best' Bond entry ever? IMO, it is. With DN & CR arguably just behind it.
    I love Dalton & Brosnan, but objectively I can't rate their movies highly in the overall scheme of things without the built-in fandom I possess.
    And just to stay on topic, FYEO is anything but boring. [-X
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,727
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If we get out of our Bond bubble, only about five of them stand out critically, and have garnered praise consistently.
    Out of our Bond bubble? In that case I ask you if, from a purely cinematic standpoint, you think FRWL was the 'best' Bond entry ever? IMO, it is. With DN & CR arguably just behind it.
    I love Dalton & Brosnan, but objectively I can't rate their movies highly in the overall scheme of things without the built-in fandom I possess.
    And just to stay on topic, FYEO is anything but boring. [-X

:-O out of our Bond bubble?? Why would we want to do that?!

But yeah, in all seriousness prob only FRWL, OHMSS, CR and SF score well amongst the non-Bond film buffs. The question is: should we care..?

Personally I don't give a monkey's whether some website or critic thinks FYEO is any good at all, I think it's a great entry into the franchise & it has a firm place amongst the more down to earth 007 films.
    I'd even go so far as to say that anyone who hasn't seen any of Moore's outings yet should see FYEO first, before venturing into classic 'stereotype Roger' territory à la TSWLM and Moonraker...

I consider it essential Bond viewing along with DN, FRWL, OHMSS, TSWLM and CR.
    I agree! I am a die hard Bond ...I love ALL the films ...even the ones I "hate" :D
  • FYEO is one of Moore's weaker outings as 007, but it's worth watching for the Citroen chase and Moore's nod to the bad guys through the window
    FYEO is one of Moore's weaker outings as 007, but it's worth watching for the Citroen chase and Moore's nod to the bad guys through the window

You just reduced that film to one flippant comic moment... perhaps you prefer the subtlety of Richard Kiel's 'Jaws' - or the superb performance by that pidgeon in Moonraker? :D

Each to their own, but apart from the Thatcher thing & perhaps Bibi I can't see what's not to like about FYEO...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Moore's face when he manages to pilot the helicopter into open air again with an epic track from Bill Conti... Priceless.

Really, the soundtack is epic in FYEO. Love that underwater Bond theme when Bond and Melina are in the submarine.
    Moore's face when he manages to pilot the helicopter into open air again with an epic track from Bill Conti... Priceless.

YES! I'd forgotten about that \:D/
    Has to be one of my favorite Moore moments!
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Hi Guys may i join in? FYEO was the 1st JB movie i saw on the cinema (i was 9 when i saw it in a double feature together with Octopussy in 1983) so i have a emotional link to it. But even so, 3 decades later and trying to be as rational as possible, this in fact seems to me to be one of the least boring and more fast paced of them all. Although i think TMWGG has a few plus points in its favour, it still seems for me the most boring one. "a nose Q, not a banana!!" :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ah we rather agree here, @Mi6LisbonBranch. I love FYEO for many reasons, and TMWTGG leaves me unsatisfied for many reasons. FYEO is anything but boring for me.
  • It is a routine action film, for me. I understand a lot of the dark subtext regarding death that was in the first draft got thrown out. For me, it is a bit too restrained and there aint much chemistry between Moore and the main gal... or anyone for that matter. I mean, you don't feel he really hates Kristatos or anyone. The ski chase is a bit too easy for me.
    It is a routine action film, for me. I understand a lot of the dark subtext regarding death that was in the first draft got thrown out. For me, it is a bit too restrained and there aint much chemistry between Moore and the main gal... or anyone for that matter. I mean, you don't feel he really hates Kristatos or anyone. The ski chase is a bit too easy for me.

This sounds like a fair and objective review.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yes. This movie can put me to sleep faster than a glass of warm milk and a few Ambien
    Yes. This movie can put me to sleep faster than a glass of warm milk and a few Ambien

LOL!
    FYEO is amazing, Moore's finest film in the series, Top Three all time for Bond movies. It's got a great story, mixed from Fleming two best short stories, one of the coolest and most involved allies, and some really great subplots as well. I love the hell out of this film, it's freaking great!
  • The_Reaper wrote: »
    FYEO is amazing, Moore's finest film in the series, Top Three all time for Bond movies. It's got a great story, mixed from Fleming two best short stories, one of the coolest and most involved allies, and some really great subplots as well. I love the hell out of this film, it's freaking great!

Words of wisdom!
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Top three for me too. Great film.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,146

LOL!

double-post