Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Short haired Ethan once again. :P

I saw that and immediately got disappointed, as my least favorite M:I films are the ones where he is short-haired. Let's hope the film surprises me and changes up that formula!! ;)
    That's funny, I prefer the "short hair" films, although I really liked GP.
    It's hard to believe that Cruise is roughly the same age that Roger was in FYEO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2732356/Tom-Cruise-daredevil-mode-hangs-Vienna-Opera-House-roof-star-Rebecca-Ferguson-arms-M-I-5-stunt.html

Those pictures also might get Craig thinking, what he is doing wrong!
    So M:I 5 is filming in Vienna right now and according to the rumors they will shoot in Morocco too. Will Ethan Hunt and James Bond visit the same countries in 2015? :O
    I just came back from Vienna. Didn´t see The Cruise, but I can assure everybody that you can eat really good there :D .

By the way, has anyone noticed that Tom Cruise will next do a MI6 movie? The clever bastard.
    Off-topic:
    http://i.imgur.com/P655Bvh.png
    Something interesting I noticed on his IMDb account.

Jack

Reacher

Jack Reacher

heh
    I thought that myself when I bought both films roughly at the same time @dragonsky. Oblivion was based on a unpublished novel by Joseph Kosinski. Not sure if Jack Harper is the main protagonists name in the novel. Would appear to just be a coincidence they are both called Jack :)
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I can assure everybody that you can eat really good there :D .

So true. When it comes to eating and humor the Viennese are in a league of their own!!!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,446
    Some action footage from Austria (Big Spoiler) and first footage Marocco

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33726/-mission-impossible-5-takes-over-morocco
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Some action footage from Austria (Big Spoiler) and first footage Marocco

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33726/-mission-impossible-5-takes-over-morocco

Not going to look, will await a trailer way into the future.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He may be getting too old for that full head of hair kid look...
    Hm, he has the face for it. With a good script he might be a good villain.
    But tbh it was never about villains in MI series, I enjoy the team work (or Ethan's work) and the cool gadgets,action etc.
    It wouldn't be bad to have a blockbuster villain tho.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I am a huge fan of Sean Harris, ever since I saw him in 'Harry Brown.' I do hope he is very fleshed out in the script and isn't dull, like the villains of M:I-GP.
    I am a huge fan of Sean Harris, ever since I saw him in 'Harry Brown.' I do hope he is very fleshed out in the script and isn't dull, like the villains of M:I-GP.

I found the main villain in GP rather to my liking, different from the over the top kind that can usually be found in the 007 franchise. He did something he believed in and Ethan & Co did their best to stop him. In the direct confrontation I found him more believable than anything the last two Bond movies had to offer.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SaintMark, I didn't care for the fact that we really knew nothing about him. He simply came and went without any true impact until the last few minutes. I want to know more about the villain: causes, strengths, weaknesses, his big plan, his henchmen, etc. Not "This is _____, he did this, he's doing this, let's go." Flesh him out a bit, give us some more scenes with him.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I agree; GP was light in that area.
    Coudn't they get someone more accomplished?
    @SaintMark, I didn't care for the fact that we really knew nothing about him. He simply came and went without any true impact until the last few minutes. I want to know more about the villain: causes, strengths, weaknesses, his big plan, his henchmen, etc. Not "This is _____, he did this, he's doing this, let's go." Flesh him out a bit, give us some more scenes with him.

That is were we differ, like the people that were a threat for his wife & marriage I accepted the them for a scary bunch that they were thought of in the movie.
    I did not have to know the weakness of a villain to know he is scary, this academic character was set in his mind in that he was willing to make a point by killing millions of people because it was the right thing to do in order to safe the world. Madmen like them are difficult to understand like those looneys from ISIS, they are scary and need to be stopped by somebody. And in this case Ethan and his friends did that job outside of the system. They fought an idea through idealism/fanaticism which is the worst kind of villain IMHO.
  • I'm glad Ving Rhames is back. I thought the last film was the best one but it felt sort of weird without him. Great to see Simon Pegg returning too.
    Coudn't they get someone more accomplished?

Don't be such a snob. Wait and see how he does in the film, judge on his performance. Don't complain and write him off just because he's not some big Hollywood Oscar nominated A lister.
  • talos7 wrote: »

I saw that and immediately got disappointed, as my least favorite M:I films are the ones where he is short-haired. Let's hope the film surprises me and changes up that formula!! ;)
    That's funny, I prefer the "short hair" films, although I really liked GP.
    It's hard to believe that Cruise is roughly the same age that Roger was in FYEO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2732356/Tom-Cruise-daredevil-mode-hangs-Vienna-Opera-House-roof-star-Rebecca-Ferguson-arms-M-I-5-stunt.html

That makes me think of Daniel Craig as well. I think Craig could very well be following Connery's and Moore's footsteps, by actually doing 6 or 7 Bond films.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,446
    Joe Kraemer, the composer of Jack Reacher will also make music for Mi5. Confirmd by the directer Chris McQuarrie. http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/09/19/joe-kraemer-to-score-mission-impossible-5/

In the mean also Stella Stocker is at to imdb list, she the girl who whas seen earlier on picture with Cruise. Also a scotish actor Mingus Johnston is at to list.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond 24!

Step your damn game up!!!

Cruise and his MI movies are beating your ass like a government mule in the stunts department!

Cruise looks to have outdone himself!!

1414959182319_wps_44_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414957765738_Image_galleryImage_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.JPG

1414959188913_wps_46_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414959212140_wps_48_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414963217640_wps_86_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414960861316_wps_59_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414963054991_wps_75_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414966230492_Image_galleryImage_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.JPG

1414963156119_wps_80_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414963273633_wps_95_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond 24!

Cruise and his MI movies are beating your ass like a government mule in the stunts department!

1414959182319_wps_44_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414957765738_Image_galleryImage_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.JPG

1414959188913_wps_46_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414959212140_wps_48_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414963217640_wps_86_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414960861316_wps_59_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414963054991_wps_75_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414966230492_Image_galleryImage_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.JPG

1414963156119_wps_80_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

1414963273633_wps_95_Picture_Shows_Tom_Cruise_.jpg

Very much inspired by the FYEO-helicopter stunt during the PTS ;-). I admit that it looks wun-der-ful. And I'm quite a fan of "M:I - Ghost Protocol". But hey man, I'm foremost a Bond fan. So Bond will be BETTER. Especially the overall movie ;-).

And most importantly....let's see how these wun-der-ful stunts fit into the plot and the screenplay shall we ;-)? I saw also wunderful stunts in "Fast & Furious 6".
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, first the Burj Khalifa scaling and now this? Call Tom what you will, but he sure as hell is determined! I respect him even more for these kinds of feats, and I can't wait to see the sequence on the big screen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Now there's a man who takes his work seriously. Kudos to him.

I'm sure Bond will blow MI out of the window though (box office & quality). They did it with CR vs. Mi3 in 2006 & again with Mi4 vs SF in 2012. They only lost out during the TWINE/DAD era when Mi2 cleaned up at the box office.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond 24!

Very much inspired by the FYEO-helicopter stunt during the PTS ;-). I admit that it looks wun-der-ful. And I'm quite a fan of "M:I - Ghost Protocol". But hey man, I'm foremost a Bond fan. So Bond will be BETTER. Especially the overall movie ;-).
    ".

The real frustrating element about your comments is the complete lack of critical distance. To you just about everything Mendes/Craig/EON are doing is so super Duper it is mind-boggling. This coupled with the absolute self assuredness of so many of your posts makes them, how shall I put it, very very "special".
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @Matt_Helm you're clearly baiting other members into an argument with that comment.
    Time to give it a rest.
  • We can't say which will be better yet because neither are out. I prefer Bond too but saying Bond 24 will be better when we know hardly anything about MI5 and even less about Bond 24 is stupid. Neither are out. Neither even have a trailer. We don't even know what Bond 24 is going to be called, it hasn't even started filming yet. So we can't judge which is better.

Thanks for the pics @doubleoego. Looks brilliant. Not Cruise's biggest fan but he is great in these films and he's always good at stunts. This looks really impressive. I thought the stunts in Skyfall were pretty poor compared to MI4, so I really hope that this time Bond is on par and we get stunts this great in Bond 24.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    It's true that we can't really say which will be better at this point of course.

However, with Mendes & Craig, I'm pretty sure we'll get an ace Bond 24. They've just upped their game a little since the 90's when Mi was cleaning up.

Mi is much more action focused anyway. It's also more American in style (despite exotic locations). Bond has gone back to being more exotic in style since Craig took over and also more spy/espionage like. So they are not direct apples to apples comparisons any more. In the 90's they were making Bond more action oriented (and more American/less exotic in style) and I contend that they lost all direct battles with other spy/action movies in that era as a result.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear because it's difficult to explain....but I don't really see them as direct competitors stylistically.

One thing I'm sure of given recent experience: Mi will have the better action, and Bond will have the better atmosphere. Bond will also make its limited action sequences count (a sort of 'less is more' that has taken over since Craig came on) while Mi will go for broke as it always does (and as can be seen from these photos of Cruise).

And the other thing for sure - they'll both be cracking movies. Can't wait for Nov/Dec 2015!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond 24!

".

The real frustrating element about your comments is the complete lack of critical distance. To you just about everything Mendes/Craig/EON are doing is so super Duper it is mind-boggling. This coupled with the absolute self assuredness of so many of your posts makes them, how shall I put it, very very "special".

Man, be a happy passionate Bond fan like I am. And if that passion, that happiness irritates you? Than....take a hike. We don't get along very well. So let's leave it there ok? Peace.