Do the Connery films( DN,FRWL,GF,TB) seem dated to you?

I don't think so personally,but I'd be interested in your opinions and reasoning either way.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    They're timeless.
    As they are products of their time, they might not look as
    Contemporary as more modern film, but I'd hardly say
    Dated. As in a way we get to travel back in time to the
    Early 60s.
  • Not really, no. Certainly, they're products of the 60s, but there's nothing that makes me shake my head, except maybe for the blatant sexism. What @Birdleson said, basically.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dated? Never! Michael Bay wishes he could make a film as awesome as DN.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Dated my butt. If anything, they do a magnificent job capturing its own time.
  • They show their age, but they make me want to live back then more than I want to live now, and I'm saying that on the internet, which is awesome!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    LOL, YES!!!
  • There's something great in every one of the Bonds, no matter how old they get the good parts will always be there. Along with the not so good parts on the other hand... Besides, they are classic so people will always enjoy them. I know I will. ;)
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Eeehm, well, no!
    I do not happen to be a fan of his other movies, but the Rock was one of the last great "start shooting on Friday and don't reload till Monday" movies made. The other one by the way is - of course - face off.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2014 Posts: 9,117
    Matt_Helm wrote: »

Eeehm, well, no!
    I do not happen to be a fan of his other movies, but the Rock was one of the last great "start shooting on Friday and don't reload till Monday" movies made. The other one by the way is - of course - face off.

You really can't argue with the Nic Cage 90s action trilogy of The Rock, Face Off and Con Air.

But on topic I would echo what others have already said yes they are dated but not in a bad way - they transport you back to a time when Bond bestrode a Britain that was confident in its own skin, that led the world in style, music, fashion & film and when to be British still carried some cachet when abroad. Rather than the dismal, rudderless, politically-correct-to-the-point-of-inertia, apologising-for-our-entire-history nation in thrall to the prevailing winds of Twitter that poor old DC's Bond has to inhabit.

Halcyon days indeed - apart from Sean's blue towelling romper suit from GF which of course is a crime against humanity.
  • Dated? No way!
    I think the keyword is classic!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Rock was good, don't get me wrong. But where's the impact The Rock had on the film industry? Where are those boys who walk through life wishing they were as cool as Nic Cage in The Rock? Nothing in The Rock beats those few seconds where Connery lights up and then utters the immortal words, "Bond, James Bond". ;-)
    The Connery films are dated - but in a good way.

Watching them now they definitely seem like a product of an older era. However the class and style that existed in that era is the reason why those films are still impressive.
    I've just realised I've repeated exactly what Wizard said.
    They're timeless.
    This.

And that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    They are dated but it does not detract one bit from how good they are.

All movies are dated as soon as they are made, & I contend that Bonds from the 60's have dated far better than blockbusters from the 70's, 80's & 90's, including Star Wars & Star Trek.

If anything, I'm amazed at how advanced they are whenever I watch them. A lot of that has to do with John Barry & his timeless scores, & the excellent directors.
    Movies that use fashionable fads date fast. Hairstyles, clothing styles, music & slang expressions pinpoint and become caricatures of an era.
    As far as I can tell, aside from some disco from Mr. Hamlish & Mr. Conti, a couple of Moore's jackets & Connery's early hats, Bond has been unusually fad free for a movie series.
  • The Connery/60s films are the only ones that don't seem too dated. There's something about the pared down style of the clothes that's never out of fashion, and Connery has a timeless look about him that works in every decade- sadly unlike Sir Roger's clothes, or Dalton's LTK haircut (and also Brosnan's Goldeneye hairdo) for example.

However some of the gadgetry in the60s films looks a bit dated now, such as the FRWL scene with Bond using a hideous Bakelite car phone... But that's to be expected.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Ironically, Connerys last film DAF seems far more dated to me, and just old in general, than any of his preceeding films...
    moore45 wrote: »
    Dalton's LTK haircut (and also Brosnan's Goldeneye hairdo)
    But neither of those are extreme, like say, Luke Skywalker's hair. They have cuts that flow in and out of style constantly. The buzz cut goes in and out as well, and this has to do with war-time since so many guys coming out of the service have them. In between wars the styles relax a bit.
    Dan's cut in SF is the pendulum swing to the other side of Dalton's in LTK.
    Well... there was that hippie-lookin' moment from DAD... :-O :))
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    A lot of the reason the movies in question have not dated that much has to do with the fact that they were predominantly made in the 60s...

If they were made in the 70s they would have dated much more, like DAF & many of Moore's films.

In fact, it's a testament to Roger Moore's inherent timeless class that his 70s flicks have stood up so well, despite the big collars, lapels, & bell bottoms. I can't watch anything from that era except Moore's Bonds. TSWLM is especially guilty of being a product of this era, and yet it's one of his best and one of the most entertaining Bond flicks despite that. That's because Moore himself was a really classy dude, in the timeless Cary Grant/Mad Men mould.

The 60s were a timeless era for style..., compared to the decades that followed.

So some of it is timing & luck
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Many of the greatest film's ever made came from that era. That is when the American auteur flourished.
    By 1981 the lingering effects of JAWS (1975) and STAR WARS (1977), coupled with the massive failure (it destroyed Paramount Studios) of Michael Cimino's epic HEAVEN'S GATE (1981) had changed the manner in which studios selected, produced and marketed film.
    the '70s were the high point, very little has come close to the best of that decade, since.
    Damn man, you KNOW your history!
    ^:)^
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Sorry to get off point.

I'm in agreement with your points. It was the last decade of serious fare and realism in movies and music too. They addressed serious issues well. I contend that Star Wars was the beginning of the end of that era, as it actually ushered in the blockbuster & the zany decade of the 80s. Some say Jaws did that, but I think it was Star Wars..

That was not my point so I was not clear. I was referring to the fashion of the 70s which I can't stand (in fact it detracts from the quality of the movies from that era for me). It's the aesthetic that's dated, not the subject matter of the movies or how they tackled the stories during that time. In fact I long for that quality to return.

Now, back to Bond
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    They seem of their time but not dated in that they seem stale or no longer relevant. The first three remain as fresh as ever IMO. Only TB lacks that freshness for me, but that's mainly becuase I don't think it's particularly good. The rocket pack and speeded up film do add a slight 60s Austin Powers naffness though.
    "Getafix wrote:
    The rocket pack and speeded up film do add a slight 60s Austin Powers naffness though.

True. The sped up film was a disappointment. I'm sure the DAD fast edits during the Aston/Jag chase will similarly date (as has the stinky surfing CGI), as will the QoS fast action edits. Given Bond's longevity the producers should instruct directors not to descend into these flavour of the month tricks but keep things timeless.

In a way, that's why I'm happy with less gadgets. Given the pace of technological change these days (Moore's law) any cool gadget today will inevitably be dated shortly.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    In fact, it's a testament to Roger Moore's inherent timeless class that his 70s flicks have stood up so well, despite the big collars, lapels, & bell bottoms. I can't watch anything from that era except Moore's Bonds.

I have to say, if that's true, you are really missing out. The '70s was the last great decade of American cinema. Many of the greatest film's ever made came from that era. That is when the American auteur flourished. Sure we had a lot of goofy, genre and just bad films in the '70s, but it was the decade that allowed the greats like Scorsese, Allen, Coppola, Altman, Ashby, Kubrick, Polanski and many more were allowed to make films that were personal and not marketed to any demographic. And the studios were behind them, as well, with decent budgets. They trusted the artists. By 1981 the lingering effects of JAWS (1975) and STAR WARS (1977), coupled with the massive failure (it destroyed Paramount Studios) of Michael Cimino's epic HEAVEN'S GATE (1981) had changed the manner in which studios selected, produced and marketed film. Why waste money on unreliable dreamers that might occasionally strike gold when you can guarantee an ongoing profit by regurgitating remakes and sequels and comedies geared towards 15 year olds? Very few directors have anywhere near that autonomy anymore. Some of the leftovers from that great decade still do to some extent. The Coen Brothers, Paul thomas Anderson, Alexander Payne… a few others. But the '70s were the high point, very little has come close to the best of that decade, since.

So very very true and just as sad!
  • I forgot to answer the OP: No.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Movies that use fashionable fads date fast. Hairstyles, clothing styles, music & slang expressions pinpoint and become caricatures of an era.
    As far as I can tell, aside from some disco from Mr. Hamlish & Mr. Conti, a couple of Moore's jackets & Connery's early hats, Bond has been unusually fad free for a movie series.

This is the point. Bonds seem to exist in an alternative universe. Watch any other 60s films and they are dated due to the hairstyles, cars etc. It rarely happens to Bond, although I agree with @jobo about DAF
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Deliciously dated.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Yes, Bond is not interested in fashion. He goes for a classic, timeless look. Well fitted, single breasted suits ,preferably grey - can't go wrong. Bond's tastes are conservative but also refined.