Do the Connery films( DN,FRWL,GF,TB) seem dated to you?

124»

Comments

• edited March 2019 Posts: 616
    I still love DR and FRWL (my favorite Bond film) and can watch them any time, but I've never been amazed by the other three (yes, even GF). To be honest, I would much rather spend time with Moore's films.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Any older film will be dated. That's part of their charm.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Remington wrote: »
    Any older film will be dated. That's part of their charm.

Exactly!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    "I'm aiming precisely at your groin so speak now or forever hold your piece."

Sorry could resist.
    The immortal classics are the first three and it is in TB that the series success starts to harm the films in addition to being the peak of spy mania.

However they are all so iconic and so loaded with production values that none of the 60's films really have dated at all-especially when compared to the competition of the era. Sure the trappings and items on display may date but in a time capsule sort of way.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2019 Posts: 5,131
    The immortal classics are the first three and it is in TB that the series success starts to harm the films in addition to being the peak of spy mania.

However they are all so iconic and so loaded with production values that none of the 60's films really have dated at all-especially when compared to the competition of the era. Sure the trappings and items on display may date but in a time capsule sort of way.

Thunderball has everything: menacing villains, a faithful Fleming adaption, Connery, the best director, the best most beautiful Bond girls of the entire series, a brilliant femme fatale, one of the best Villains in the entire series, a classic score, SPECTRE, sharks, the Bahamas, Tom Jones, atomic bombs, a bit where Bond harpoons someone and says, “I think he got the point”.......IMO it’s better than Goldfinger. YOLT was drop in quality, but TB certainly wasn’t in any way shape or form.....it’s quite frankly one of the best films in the series......a plethora of perfection.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Thunderball has everything: menacing villains, a faithful Fleming adaption, Connery, the best director, the best most beautiful Bond girls of the entire series, a brilliant femme fatale, one of the best Villains in the entire series, a classic score, SPECTRE, sharks, the Bahamas, Tom Jones, atomic bombs, a bit where Bond harpoons someone and says, “I think he got the point”.......IMO it’s better than Goldfinger. YOLT was drop in quality, but TB certainly wasn’t in any way shape or form.....it’s quite frankly one of the best films in the series......a plethora of perfection.

+1.

I think all the anticipation and hype at the height of spy mania only adds to TB's appeal as it was the crowning moment. Since I wasn't around to experience it, this makes for one of those events one wishes they had a time machine to experience.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Sean was in the best shape of his life having just completed "The Hill". He was confident in the character of Bond. TB has a great script with many great lines of dialogue.

"Most girls just paddle around but you swim like a man."
    "Thanks, so do you."
    "Yes well I've had years of practice"

"Vanity has it's price."
    "Vanity Mister Bond. Something you know so much about."

"Hullo"
    "Aren't you in the wrong room Mister Bond?"
    "Not from where I am standing."

That said there are some rather long scenes that could have been tightened. How many times did we need to see Bond and Leiter in a helicopter flying around looking for the Falcon. There are some plot gaps. That re-breather from Q? The radioactive pill to sallow?

Still a great film that really shows all that Bond can be. One of my favourites for sure.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    thedove wrote: »
    Sean was in the best shape of his life having just completed "The Hill". He was confident in the character of Bond. TB has a great script with many great lines of dialogue.

"Most girls just paddle around but you swim like a man."
    "Thanks, so do you."
    "Yes well I've had years of practice"

"Vanity has it's price."
    "Vanity Mister Bond. Something you know so much about."

"Hullo"
    "Aren't you in the wrong room Mister Bond?"
    "Not from where I am standing."

That said there are some rather long scenes that could have been tightened. How many times did we need to see Bond and Leiter in a helicopter flying around looking for the Falcon. There are some plot gaps. That re-breather from Q? The radioactive pill to sallow?

Still a great film that really shows all that Bond can be. One of my favourites for sure.

+1.
    I actually agree with all the above. Though the film isn't as iconic, suffers from pacing issues and meeting a deadline and is a victim of the series own success...it's better than GF right from the get go because the danger, tension and drama are back. Even without the credits you'd know that Young was back.

However one can never escape GF as the single most associated Bond element of all.