Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I foresee numerous amendments to that time line.
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    INFOGRAPHIC: Superhero Movie Timeline Updated With Marvel's PHASE 3 Slate
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=110172

CA_Supermovies_10-28-2014-2.jpg

This chart kinda scares me. What's next? A CIA-sequel to the James Bond franchise? A first original Felix Leiter film? If Spiderman doesn't turn up in the Buena Vista/Disney movies, then will he make a cameo in James Bond :-)? And although skeptical, I'm curious how Batman works out...

Also, let us not forget that Marvel is not a superhero character, but nothing more than a comic book brand, turned into an executive production movie company. Nice to see this chart, but I probably like only the Captain America-franchise.
    It feels good to be a comic book fan.
  • RC7RC7
    A first original Felix Leiter film?.

Funny you should say that, I have a pilot script in my bottom draw for a 'Leiter' TV series. One day...

RC7 wrote: »

Funny you should say that, I have a pilot script in my bottom draw for a 'Leiter' TV series. One day...

I'm pretty certain Barbara & Michael already thought about a worthy and credible spin-off to the James Bond films. They were very much in favor of a Jinx spin-off back in 2002/2003, but at that time MGM was completely against it.

Now looking to this chart of superhero movies (Marvel & DC Comics), I wouldn't be surprised that Sony gets interested in such a spin-off. If it's a Felix Leiter-spin off or a SPECTRE/Blofeld-spin off....both can work. But it does face EON Productions with some serious problems. It has pro's and con's:

Arguments supporting such a spin-off:
    --> Financially it would be already a huge success before it goes into production. It would be the heated "talk of the town" on the internet.
    --> Marketing-wise it would be a genius step, as a lot of viral and free marketing would be included by us, over-passionate Bond fans and comic book fans.
    --> Sony Pictures doesn't have a very good year financially so far. They see with pain in their hearts how Buena Vista / Disney is "taking over global cinema".
    --> A Felix Leiter-spin-off could especially work in the USA. While Bond is successful in the USA, it's not as successful as Batman or any other Marvel character.

Arguments opposing such a spin-off:
    --> The Bond franchise is 52 years old. Both Barbara & Michael know that such financial success will be perhaps short lived, maximum one decade?
    --> The magic of the James Bond character could be affected. Right now the Bond franchise is rather unique on its own, and with that also goes its financial success.
    --> It could be seen as solely a reaction to the current comic book film craziness. The Bond films, especially the last one, has already been accused of "borrowing" from Batman.
    --> The more long-term financial success of the James Bond films, not the spin-offs, could be affected.

Main problem with Leiter is probably, that he is universally regarded as a sidekick/bore. Why should anyone be interested in his exploits at all is beyond me.
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    INFOGRAPHIC: Superhero Movie Timeline Updated With Marvel's PHASE 3 Slate
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=110172

CA_Supermovies_10-28-2014-2.jpg

I guess somewhere along this route there might be these one,two mega flops Spielberg and others have talked about,that could bring the whole current blockbuster franchise system to a crushing halt. Might be healthy for the industry in the long term!
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote: »

Main problem with Leiter is probably, that he is universally regarded as a sidekick/bore. Why should anyone be interested in his exploits at all is beyond me.

Everybody has a story.

Everybody has a story.

Sure,but only a very few have one, that people actually care about (let alone spending their hard earned money for).
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2014 Posts: 10,512

Everybody has a story.

Sure,but only a very few have one, that people actually care about (let alone spending their hard earned money for).

Sure, maybe you'll read it some day.
    jolearon wrote: »
    I'm so hoping Spiderman will be able to make it into one of the films. Rumor is SONY isn't doing so well, and it's possible they may lend Spidey over for a few scenes to help boost SONY and help with the Civil War story... Thoughts?

It looks like Black Panther will be substitute for Spider-man in the Civil War storyline
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    dragonsky wrote: »
    jolearon wrote: »
    I'm so hoping Spiderman will be able to make it into one of the films. Rumor is SONY isn't doing so well, and it's possible they may lend Spidey over for a few scenes to help boost SONY and help with the Civil War story... Thoughts?

It looks like Black Panther will be substitute for Spider-man in the Civil War storyline

Probably. Plus, the MCU has a rock solid continuity. If they do bring in Spiderman, I hope they don't take it from the Sony movies universe (including Garfield himself) and start with a new actor and skip the origin story. The Sony films just don't fit in at all in the MCU timeline (Where was Osborne tower during the Battle of NY? Etc.). Bringing in Garfield would just make it messy.

Interesting article : http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/captain-america-civil-war/32694/what-to-expect-from-captain-america-civil-war
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Had the CG people working on ASM finished OsCorp tower on time, it would have been in The Avengers. They had a deal in place.
    Hmmm ?
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Writer Dan Slott Teases Big SPIDER-MAN Announcement
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/staypuffed/news/?a=110175

Sadly Marvel needs Spider-Man as much as it needs a stomach infection right now. Sony, on the other hand
    Their is a real danger looking at that timeline that the public could tire of Super hero movies? For the record? I know I will not be one of them!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    We'll see.
    I do agree that people can and will get tired of any number of things after a while like a certain type of villain (robot) or perhaps a specific character (Spider-Man?) or even a certain formulaid storyline.

But all that can be fixed. Batman took a much needed break after Joel Schumacher’s latest attempt. It allowed him to come back bigger and stronger than ever.

Origin stories can change. They can go back to using flashbacks and other methods of revealing how a hero became a hero. I am actually hoping they will because I do see a need for a change to that particular formula.

I can easily see Hollywood making these fixes too late and a few movies getting hurt by it. You could argue that this has already happened to Spider-Man. He is hurting from all sorts of mistakes made by the Hollywood machine.

But it’s not so much that he’s a comic book character. It’s all sorts of mistakes that could have been made to any other franchise. And also, his problems hasn’t really affected anyone but him.

I think it’s a good thing that these movies are competing against movies that aren’t comic book adaptations. It raises the bar. It means they’re not just being judged as good or bad comic book adaptations. They’re being judged as good or bad movies.

So it’s okay that some fail. Hopefully they’ll learn from that and step up their game. For example it really does seem like Fox learned something from the failure of X3 and OW. It didn’t turn into a downward spiral. And now X-Men are stronger than ever.

So I can see the concept of comic book movies enduring always because it isn’t just one thing. And audiences are gonna judge them individually as good or bad movies.

But I certainly agree that they have to stay fresh and keep evolving. They can’t stick to a specific formula.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well at least with the MCU, they're not just churning out movies for the sake of it; they're building a universe with stem connections that all lead am to and culminate to something which in itself create an investment of time and interest into the overall big picture while at the same time looking at individual arcs in solo or truncated ensemble movies. These movies, these characters all contribute to specific roles that goes beyond making an appearance just for the sake of shelling out a comic book movie. What Marvel have done with their universe is take risks and made good use of time. I personally feel that in a bid to play catch up and match DC have overshot themselves and compromised themselves in a big way and so early. Their biggest ace right now is the novelty gimmick of seeing superman and Batman I'm the same film and make no mistake that's going to create some serious impact but it won't sustain and with many other characters joining a movie that was originally and is still somewhat a sequel to Mos there just isn't enough time for audiences to really feel invested in all these other characters who will no doubt get shafted by bats and supes eating up screen time. However, I could be wrong but my gut instinct tells me DC are doing too much too soon and it's going to hurt them.
    CIVIL WAR May Be Brewing In Leaked Clip From AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=110249
    VIDEO: Kevin Feige On CBM Oversaturation, DR STRANGE/ CAPTAIN MARVEL Castings And More
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=110132
    Why Marvel has no solo Hulk movie planned yet

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/hulk/32701/why-marvel-has-no-solo-hulk-movie-planned-yet#ixzz3HekUWbkX

HULK SAD :(
    Hulk looked at any film that just has him, and none of the other Avengers: "Puny movie."
    I'm a bit afraid that Disney/Marvel becomes too powerful. This.....is not healthy man. Star Wars has been bought up. Spiderman will sooner or later come back to Disney.

And....what about James Bond 007? The idea that Disney takes over as distributor/production company from Sony/Columbia is not such an unrealistic idea no? However....that "realistic" prospect makes me cringe.....
    Back when Disney bought Lucasfilm, we made a big troll-fest about Disney being Quantum and ripped off lines from QoS. It's pretty funny, go check out the Star Wars thread.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I highly doubt Disney will buy up James Bond. It doesn't meet with their family friendly quota. And personally I don't see a problem with them buying out Lucas and Marvel. Disney has made wonderful films over the years. Both live action and animated. After they bought Marvel the films of MCU got better in my opinion.

Lucas was done with Star Wars made a mess of the prequels and Indiana Jones. I'm glad Disney owns SW now. They know how to craft a fine product. And with J.J. Abrams directing Episode 7 I'm excited to see it.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Short term Disney will recoup there vast investment in movie franchises, what will be interesting is how profitablable there investments will be 15 years down the line. Disney have to be midfull of over saturation and not diluting the likes of Star Wars and MCU too much, as that will ultimately effect the product.

With regards to Star Wars the current position is strong, due to the disappointment of the prequels. There is a New Hope pardon the pun, that the next trilogy will deliver. If the next trilogy falls flat will be very damaging. Make no mistake there is huge pressure for Star Wars episodes 7 - 9 to be successful, they could conscevably be a disaster.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I highly doubt Disney will buy up James Bond. It doesn't meet with their family friendly quota.

Didn't watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier, did you? Plenty of people got shot in that movie, exactly like what happens in Bond movies. Actually, realistic gadgets and great directorial work, the Russos would do just fine with a Bond movie.

In all honesty, if Disney were to buy EON, they'd still let EON go about their business doing things they way they've always been doing them, just like they've done with Marvel Studios.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I highly doubt Disney will buy up James Bond. It doesn't meet with their family friendly quota.

Didn't watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier, did you? Plenty of people got shot in that movie, exactly like what happens in Bond movies. Actually, realistic gadgets and great directorial work, the Russos would do just fine with a Bond movie.

In all honesty, if Disney were to buy EON, they'd still let EON go about their business doing things they way they've always been doing them, just like they've done with Marvel Studios.

I did watch the Winter Soldier and loved it. You can read my review of it in the last movies you watched thread. Best movie of 2014 so far. Still waiting on November Man though.

I did watch the Winter Soldier and loved it. You can read my review of it in the last movies you watched thread. Best movie of 2014 so far. Still waiting on November Man though.

November man will not be better than Winter soldier, trust me I have seen both. The difference in quality is just to great.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Not expecting them to be similar at all. I completely loved Winter Soldier, but really looking forward to November Man.