Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

@Dalton12 Watched the first episode of season 2 last night, as far as season openers go felt a bit slow. Seemed to retread a few things from last season
    The absorbing man was pretty cool, forget the character's name.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited October 2014 Posts: 7,854
    Carl Creel. The Absorbing Man. I've faithfully watched SHIELD every new episode since it began, and I've not been disappointed yet. There have been some weaker episodes (the poorly executed Thor tie-in, for instance), but on the whole the show has never been horrible. And when I saw a Quinjet in the season 2 premiere, I totally nerdgasmed.
    Good to know i'm not alone here :) I must say Marvel Studios ultimately hasn’t failed yet with any of their projects .
    The Death lock story was good, Bill Paxton was good value. The show meandered a bit early on, hope it retains the momentum of the second half of season one. There is a thread on the show on here, though its not coming up on search?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    The Death lock story was good, Bill Paxton was good value. The show meandered a bit early on, hope it retains the momentum of the second half of season one. There is a thread on the show on here, though its not coming up on search?

Not coming up on search that's weird ? I'm amazed at how much I am enjoying each episode this season. They've really found their rhythm, I hope that they get renewed for a third season.

And what do you think Will Phil Coulson ever appear in the movies again?
    First episode of season 2 premiered last night of season 2, watching a rerun of the first ep as I type. Will be interesting to see Sky origin, have my theories
    Possibly a inhuman
    Could be jarring for casual viewers if Couilson turned up in the movies again, if not familiar with the TV show. Saying that they could easily explain it away with a funny quip!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    This is interesting :
    Robert Downey Jr. Open To AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Appearance
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=108851

Seeing Tony's reaction to Coulson being alive would be something I'd love to see.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Way back in 2012, when I knew that Iron Man 3 was still on the horizon, I thought Coulson's death was faked (they provided all you needed to believe that in The Avengers), and that they'd just brush it off with Tony saying something along the lines of "Yo, Coulson. Faked death. Dick move."
    Marvel Planning Mystery Press Event For Tuesday; Will They Announce Upcoming Film Slate?
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=109954#.VE0fugRuLGE.facebook
    It's gonna be damn hard to see a single hero in a single film after seeing them all in The Avengers. Despite how much I liked Skyfall, The Expendables 2, and a few others, The Avengers is still my favorite film of 2012. This may be trumped by The Hobbit, but I'm not sure yet.

Are you serious? I think "The Avengers" for my eyes is simply too much. The action, the overwhelming "straight-in-your-face, throw a planet like bowling" for me is simply too much.

The Marvel movies that did it for me so far are: "Iron Man 1", "Iron Man 3" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". They showed some realism, had an underlying theme, really hit it off with well developed characters (I loved Robert Redford as villain) and there was some serious drama in it. The action at times felt even Bond-esque for me. Stylish, but gripping and always perfectly incorporated in the plot. I especially liked the car chase in Washington DC.

Apart from that....I'm slightly tired of throwing all Marvel characters in one film. In a way...they become like a bunch of X-Men. Focus on caharcters fades away also with these ensemble movies of superheroes.

Also, how do you want to go back to single character movies? Another 3rd Captain America installment? A 4th Iron Man-movie? It's possible, but by keeping these ensemble movies, you basically make those single hero movies less succesful.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2014 Posts: 8,028
    Marvel's Phase Two was a total disappointment with the exception of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, in my opinion.

Both Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were mind numbingly bad and didn't propel the overall MCU story in any direction.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun time but I feel that will be a one off as Marvel attempt to fuse that story with the already oversaturated world they have going now.
    Marvel's Phase Two was a total disappointment with the exception of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, in my opinion.

Both Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were mind numbingly bad and didn't propel the overall MCU story in any direction.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun time but I feel that will be a one off as Marvel attempt to fuse that story with the already ovetsaturated world they have going now.

I think here in lies a rather interesting fact: Keep a franchise simple.....if you want it to be succesful for decades....or even centuries. Ooowh gosh, where did that fact come from :-).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I like the variety the series has given. You have a mix of fun action films and character dramas. I need to catch up on a lot of Phase 2.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I like the variety the series has given. You have a mix of fun action films and character dramas. I need to catch up on a lot of Phase 2.

The series? Which series. I think we call Marvel Studios now Marvel Series? In any case, I do like the variety of Marvel. But I don't think "The Avengers" is a particularly fun action film. Actually, all of the Marvel films are action films. For character dramas you might check Sam Mendes' portfolio. But then again, most people find his portfolio of movies slightly boring :-).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Looks like Andy Serkis maybe playing Claw in AoU and if that's the case then mine and many other fans' dreams are coming true. We maybe getting a black panther movie a lot sooner than anticipated.

As for phase 2; it has been underwhelming overall but what has been driven forward, particularly in Thor 2 and GoTg, are the stones for the infinity gauntlet which Thanos is trying to acquire and with the events of IM3, Winter Soldier and what is being theorised to happen in AoU and how it ties in with Ant-man, phase 3 is going to be dramatically complex and on paper should be the most dynamic and entertain phase of the MCU.
    It's gonna be damn hard to see a single hero in a single film after seeing them all in The Avengers. Despite how much I liked Skyfall, The Expendables 2, and a few others, The Avengers is still my favorite film of 2012. This may be trumped by The Hobbit, but I'm not sure yet.

Are you serious? I think "The Avengers" for my eyes is simply too much. The action, the overwhelming "straight-in-your-face, throw a planet like bowling" for me is simply too much.

The Marvel movies that did it for me so far are: "Iron Man 1", "Iron Man 3" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". They showed some realism, had an underlying theme, really hit it off with well developed characters (I loved Robert Redford as villain) and there was some serious drama in it. The action at times felt even Bond-esque for me. Stylish, but gripping and always perfectly incorporated in the plot. I especially liked the car chase in Washington DC.

Apart from that....I'm slightly tired of throwing all Marvel characters in one film. In a way...they become like a bunch of X-Men. Focus on caharcters fades away also with these ensemble movies of superheroes.

Also, how do you want to go back to single character movies? Another 3rd Captain America installment? A 4th Iron Man-movie? It's possible, but by keeping these ensemble movies, you basically make those single hero movies less succesful.

Didn't I say that in 2013, before Iron Man 3 came out? Times have changed, man.

The series? Which series. I think we call Marvel Studios now Marvel Series? In any case, I do like the variety of Marvel. But I don't think "The Avengers" is a particularly fun action film. Actually, all of the Marvel films are action films. For character dramas you might check Sam Mendes' portfolio. But then again, most people find his portfolio of movies slightly boring :-).

I consider "The Winter Soldier." a character drama. I have a wide range of tastes so I can enjoy many films. I love Star Trek the original series and the reboot films by J.J. Abrams. I have a pretty open mind when it comes to movies. They are my hobby.

I consider "The Winter Soldier." a character drama. I have a wide range of tastes so I can enjoy many films. I love Star Trek the original series and the reboot films by J.J. Abrams. I have a pretty open mind when it comes to movies. They are my hobby.

Well @Murdock, it is true that "Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier" is indeed one of the most character-driven attempts from the Marvel universe. It's also one of my favourite entries to the Marvel franchise (Although I like the 1st Iron Man-film a lot too).

But I prefer to compare that movie more with the last James Bond film "Skyfall" and "The Dark Knight"-trilogy. It's edgier, grittier, has more drama. But foremost all of these movies are still action blockbuster, even if all of thee examples have changed into more character driven movies.

A real character drama film for me is, let's say, "Magnolia" or "There Will Be Blood" by director Paul Thomas Anderson. Or "Revolutionary Road" by Sam Mendes. Those are in its purest essence....character driven drama's and nothing more. They are not action movies.
    I prefer not to judge movie based on comparisons to other films. I judge a movie on it's own merits. If I compare it to something else, It's pretty much nitpicking details.

I watch films to be entertained and to have fun. I want to be taken on a fantastic adventure that I myself would never get the chance to go on. I like what I know and continue to expand my horizons of great movies are out there. Avengers was a fine ensemble piece. It had a perfect balance in my opinion. With a film like that, It needs to be a bit over the top and have a big threat with high stakes where a solo film can be toned down and more grounded in reality. I have enjoyed most of the MCU films so far. They are nice niche films which I find refreshing.
    I prefer not to judge movie based on comparisons to other films. I judge a movie on it's own merits. If I compare it to something else, It's pretty much nitpicking details.

I watch films to be entertained and to have fun. I want to be taken on a fantastic adventure that I myself would never get the chance to go on. I like what I know and continue to expand my horizons of great movies are out there. Avengers was a fine ensemble piece. It had a perfect balance in my opinion. With a film like that, It needs to be a bit over the top and have a big threat with high stakes where a solo film can be toned down and more grounded in reality. I have enjoyed most of the MCU films so far. They are nice niche films which I find refreshing.

Hey buddy, I'm not attacking you huh ;-). But it's interesting to read your opinions.
    Hey buddy, I'm not attacking you huh ;-). But it's interesting to read your opinions.
    Oh I know. I'm just giving my point of view on movies. :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun time but I feel that will be a one off as Marvel attempt to fuse that story with the already ovetsaturated world they have going now.

I think here in lies a rather interesting fact: Keep a franchise simple.....if you want it to be succesful for decades....or even centuries. Ooowh gosh, where did that fact come from :-).

I think there's nothing wrong with the way they've built the expanded universe. But the only way it'll continue to work is if they continue to work towards some sort of conclusion in the cycles they're structuring it in.

Phase 1's payoff was getting them all together. Phase 2, for me, has lost that focus, even with Age of Ultron coming up next year. I hope Phase 3 gets them back on track.
    Russo Brothers Talk CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER's Oscar Chances
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=109985
    I appreciate what the Russo's did and in my estimation they demonstrated that not only is it just Nolan that can make an excellent film based on comic book characters but they demonstrated unashamedly how to make a satisfyingly balanced movie that combines brilliant action, fantastical elements; embracing the comic elements to the hilt while simultaneously telling a gripping story that also has something to say about cultural and geopolitical society. Now, regarding Oscars I'm not sure if the winter soldier deserves an Oscar but I do think the academy should be more open to the genre and to not trivially disregard it from Oscar recipiency.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I appreciate what the Russo's did and in my estimation they demonstrated that not only is it just Nolan that can make an excellent film based on comic book characters but they demonstrated unashamedly how to make a satisfyingly balanced movie that combines brilliant action, fantastical elements; embracing the comic elements to the hilt while simultaneously telling a gripping story that also has something to say about cultural and geopolitical society. Now, regarding Oscars I'm not sure if the winter soldier deserves an Oscar but I do think the academy should be more open to the genre and to not trivially disregard it from Oscar recipiency.

Agreed.
    I appreciate what the Russo's did and in my estimation they demonstrated that not only is it just Nolan that can make an excellent film based on comic book characters but they demonstrated unashamedly how to make a satisfyingly balanced movie that combines brilliant action, fantastical elements; embracing the comic elements to the hilt while simultaneouslyñ telling a gripping story that also has something to say about cultural and geopolitical society. Now, regarding Oscars I'm not sure if the winter soldier deserves an Oscar but I do think the academy should be more open to the genre and to not trivially disregard it from Oscar recipiency.

The funny thing is. If fans say all this, me included, about "Skyfall", then there are a lot, perhaps 50% of all Bond fans, who disagree with that. That Bond should not be a character mirroring today's geopolitical developments. Nor should it ever look at the Oscars, as "those Academy members always had a grudge on the Bond producers". And that criticism grew even bigger after "Skyfall".

Having said that, I too found "Captain America 2" one of the most intelligently written Marvel films. Compared to the ensemble superhero movies, "The Avengers", CA2 has got complex written characters, is a movie that has got vital political themes and focuses on a tightly written plot. The action supports the plot, not the other way around. I understand why CA2 has been compared by some reviewers to "The Dark Knight" and "Skyfall".

I think the movie will get a few technical Oscar nods, like "Skyfall". Perhaps 3 or 4 Oscar nominations? And that itself is quite a reward.
    I think any film that consciously gets made with the intention of vying for an Oscar is a misguided and rather dubious approach to the craft of film making as a principle. I think when films based on literary source material that has tremendous offerings in telling and framing a gripping and exciting picture; that's the foundation that should be used as a blueprint to create and convey what's so special and unique about the material. Bond doesn't need to actively position itself as a construct for trying to acquire an Oscar. The nature of the material in which the films are based on, when done well is of a remarkable quality that speaks for and validates itself. Whether it gets an Oscar or not is up to whoever but films like FRWL, OHMSS and CR are films where strong arguments can be made for Oscar contention but either way, as long as the films are good we win and the producers win in that they get to continue a legacy of richness that no Oscar can compare to. How many films, actors and actresses and directors have won Oscars only to be forgotten by the windows of time and locked out in the hallways of obscurity? Many and yet, Bond endures, continuing an incomparable legacy that astonishingly is in better shape than its been in since the 60s and is going from strength to strength.

When film makers realise the sort of material they have on their hands and utilise resources to make the most of that material and create something special that reflects the essence of what made the characters and the mythology so interesting in the first place; the quality should attract the best and convey something inherently valuable and tremendous. This goes for Bond and comic book movies alike as well as other materials. Peter Jackson knew this with his LOTR movies, the Potter movies knew this; the GOT TV execs know this so on and so forth. At the end of the day, awards are an icing on the cake but it's by no means critical. Creating a legacy of quality is first and foremost and I'm glad that the Bond producers are at the very least trying harder than they were before, prior to 8 years ago and not being complacent just because they have a cash cow.
    I think anu ny film that consciously gets made with the intention of vying for an Oscar is a misguided and rather dubious approach to the craft of film making as a principle. I think when films based on literary source material that has tremendous offerings in telling and framing a gripping and exciting picture; that's the foundation that should be used as a blueprint to create and convey what's so special and unique about the material. Bond doesn't need to actively position itself as a construct for trying to acquire an Oscar. The nature of the material in which the films are based on, when done well is of a remarkable quality that speaks for and validates itself. Whether it gets an Oscar or not is up to whoever but films like FRWL, OHMSS and CR are films where strong arguments can be made for Oscar contention but either way, as long as the films are good we win and the producers win in that they get to continue a legacy of richness that no Oscar can compare to. How many films, actors and actresses and directors have won Oscars only to be forgotten by the windows of time and locked out in the hallways of obscurity? Many and yet, Bond endures, continuing an incomparable legacy that astonishingly is in better shape than its been in since the 60s and is going from strength to strength.

When film makers realise the sort of material they have on their hands and utilise resources to make the most of that material and create something special that reflects the essence of what made the characters and the mythology so interesting in the first place; the quality should attract the best and convey something inherently valuable and tremendous. This goes for Bond and comic book movies alike as well as other materials. Peter Jackson knew this with his LOTR movies, the Potter movies knew this; the GOT TV execs know this so on and so forth. At the end of the day, awards are an icing on the cake but it's by no means critical. Creating a legacy of quality is first and foremost and I'm glad that the Bond producers are at the very least trying harder than they were before, prior to 8 years ago and not being complacent just because they have a cash cow.

You know how to put comments out of perspective. Off course making a movie solely pointed at winning Oscars is stupid. But so is every producer who's doing that. All movies are made, because people love making movies, if it's part of a franchise, or if it's a personal experience or adaptation.

So your comment lacks nuance. All I was saying, is that "Captain America 2" deserves an Oscar. Not that Marvel made this movie to win an Oscar. That's stupid.

Also it seems rather obvious that you don't have anything positive to say about the Oscars. As far as you are concerned, they should be completely demolished. Hence the lack of nuance in your comment, and your gift to put comments out of context.
    I think anu ny film that consciously gets made with the intention of vying for an Oscar is a misguided and rather dubious approach to the craft of film making as a principle. I think when films based on literary source material that has tremendous offerings in telling and framing a gripping and exciting picture; that's the foundation that should be used as a blueprint to create and convey what's so special and unique about the material. Bond doesn't need to actively position itself as a construct for trying to acquire an Oscar. The nature of the material in which the films are based on, when done well is of a remarkable quality that speaks for and validates itself. Whether it gets an Oscar or not is up to whoever but films like FRWL, OHMSS and CR are films where strong arguments can be made for Oscar contention but either way, as long as the films are good we win and the producers win in that they get to continue a legacy of richness that no Oscar can compare to. How many films, actors and actresses and directors have won Oscars only to be forgotten by the windows of time and locked out in the hallways of obscurity? Many and yet, Bond endures, continuing an incomparable legacy that astonishingly is in better shape than its been in since the 60s and is going from strength to strength.

You know how to put comments out of perspective. Off course making a movie solely pointed at winning Oscars is stupid. But so is every producer who's doing that. All movies are made, because people love making movies, if it's part of a franchise, or if it's a personal experience or adaptation.

So your comment lacks nuance. All I was saying, is that "Captain America 2" deserves an Oscar. Not that Marvel made this movie to win an Oscar. That's stupid.

Also it seems rather obvious that you don't have anything positive to say about the Oscars. As far as you are concerned, they should be completely demolished. Hence the lack of nuance in your comment, and your gift to put comments out of context.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Err, @Gustav you're way off base. Lacks nuance and out of perspective?? Look, the only thing obvious is that you didn't bother to read and comprehend what i wrote but merely skimmed through it and came to a wrong conclusion. To what i can only expect to be to your surprise but I was actually agreeing with you. Not sure what you're talking about but I wasn't saying anything on the contrary to your post. I was saying the Oscars shouldn't be done away with; I was simply stating that there are some film makers who are into that whole Oscar bait and that it doesn't matter if a movie doesn't get an Oscar, just so long as a quality product is put out. That's a reward in itself. Take a look at the amazing spider-man movies for example; there's so much rich material from the comics to utilise but the movies as adaptations are horrendously utilised but the winter soldier on the other hand managed to do something right with the essence of the material and in turn we got a spectacular movie.