SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

I love the idea of having Fassbender be the villain! Go for it, Babs! He can be very menacing, as shown in 12 years a slave and Shame!
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    If Craig has a fistfight with Bautista, it will have to be one-sided. Anything else would be totally unrealistic. I can not imagine Bond beating this guy in a fair combat, he will probably need some help to do it.
  • RC7RC7
    If Craig has a fistfight with Bautista, it will have to be one-sided. Anything else would be totally unrealistic. I can not imagine Bond beating this guy in a fair combat, he will probably need some help to do it.

Craig vs Bautista is going to look like Nik Nak on Moore's back.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    RC7 wrote: »

Craig vs Bautista is going to look like Nik Nak on Moore's back.

Well, almost. :)
    Then again, if this was possible, anything is.
    I could imagine, one of the girls will end it for him. We have seen it before, but i always liked tbe scenario. Bond fights, is bleeding, struggeling helpless in the arms of the monster. Then the girl shows up and crushes him from behind or just shoots him.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I could imagine, one of the girls will end it for him. We have seen it before, but i always liked tbe scenario. Bond fights, is bleeding, struggeling helpless in the arms of the monster. Then the girl shows up and crushes him from behind or just shoots him.

A friend of mine suggested last night that they keep him alive - like Jaws. I wouldn't mind that if he turns out to be decent.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Some of you aren't too familiar with the dynamics of fighting. Just because Bautista is physically more imposing than Craig it doesn't mean the fight will or should be one sided.
    Delends on whether or not they make the character stupid or smart. Bond can only win by his wits.
    Many fights are won by using wits, it's called having a strategy. However, it can still be very much physical.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Someone on another board mentioned Denzel Washington, and I think he would be incredible....

He would be playing against type, and he has the acting chops to pull it off. And the physique to go up against Craig's Bond physically.

Just imagine his wry smile as he contemplates a fate for Bond.

I'd take Washington over Ejiofor any day - and he would be unpredictable casting
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I am still not getting used to Ejiofor. It may be predictable casting, but I would still prefer Mark Strong. And it's not like they didn't typecast in the past with success. Ejiofor is too handsome, too friendly looking and too young for my taste. I am not against it per se, but he would not be my first choice.

I couldn't agree less and I don't understand your reasoning in the slightest, if I'm honest.

For me it's a case of casting someone different, an unknown entity in this world, or a rent-a-villain. You do realise people don't have to look like themselves on film? Ledger played in 10 things I hate About You and then delivered the definitive Joker for a generation. Mark Strong is... Mark Strong.

Sorry, I just really, really don't get the logic.

I don't get your logic either. I mean.....I forget to mention Mark Strong. But he can perhaps blow you away as well. If an actor needs to be cast because "he's not an obvious choice" then I don't find that a very good decision either.

IMO an actor needs to have a few movies under his belt that gives away his talents for certain characters or roles. And for me that usually is an acting CV with gravita.

Yes, I fully believe that Ejiofor could play a wunderful Le Chiffre-esque villain. But until then we don't have a lot of reference for similar villain-esque roles for Ejiofor. It's simply put a more risky choice for me. It could work, but it could also be slightly disappointing.

Also, and that's very important to note, it is a fact that the screenplay writers actually wrote the script with Javier Bardem in mind. It means that from a very early moment they wanted to go into a certain direction with the villain. The result worked for me.

• edited October 2014 Posts: 4,400
    I'm still reeling from Marketto' s SPECTRE comment, I got genuinely excited for a second. Not cool man.

I think it's likely that Mendes is going to do his own version of Bane vs Batman from TDKR with Bond and Hinx in the next film. We will see Bond totally physically outpowered by Hinx before (like GermanLady said) a Catwoman-esque character swoops in and saves the day. What do we think will be Hinx's defining characteristic? Possibly tattoos considering Batista's body art.

Dave_Bautista_MMA.jpg

Also is it me or does DC look a bit like Batista in the face?

1abaf6edf5af99e2db69d9d997a09b7b.jpg
    I really hope we don't get a one sided beat down like the bane v batman altercations in TDKR. I want Craig to kick ass but for Bautista to brutally kick Bond's ass more until tge finale fight of course.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Bautista might try to kick Bond's ass but Bond is Bond, he will use his witts and a fare share of luck to win in the end /:)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    We won't see a copy if TDKR. Too much worry. Besides Bond tradition of the strong henchman anyway. Y'all worry too much and when you do see the film you will go in looking for every similarity and then praise how great MI:5 is lol.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,115
    re: (relatively) short hero vs. very tall villain. It's been done before. I'm sure in Bond 24, it'll look more violent, have more sophisticated sound effects, last longer, be more intense, etc., but here's an example from 1965 (featuring a familiar face to Bond fans). Go to the 43:00 mark.

I am still not getting used to Ejiofor. It may be predictable casting, but I would still prefer Mark Strong. And it's not like they didn't typecast in the past with success. Ejiofor is too handsome, too friendly looking and too young for my taste. I am not against it per se, but he would not be my first choice.

I couldn't agree less and I don't understand your reasoning in the slightest, if I'm honest.

For me it's a case of casting someone different, an unknown entity in this world, or a rent-a-villain. You do realise people don't have to look like themselves on film? Ledger played in 10 things I hate About You and then delivered the definitive Joker for a generation. Mark Strong is... Mark Strong.

Sorry, I just really, really don't get the logic.

I am saying I am having reservations about him, that is all, not that I am deadly opposed to him. I very well know you can change someone's appearance in a movie, heck, especially in a Bond movie. They did masterful work with Javier Bardem's face. But Bardem's face is malleable, I think, like say Boris Karloff's face. Ejiofor? I am not convinced yet.

And I am not a fan of Mark Strong.

Fair enough. Glad to know you're not a fan of Strong. He seems like a decent bloke, who I'd enjoy a pint with, but too obvious to be a Bond villain. He's in a Jaguar advert predicated on the idea of British villains, he's that synonymous with the notion of playing the antagonist.

I know, I have seen the advert. And although I thought Mark Strong was a decent enough villain in Holmes and Robin Hood, he was hardly outstanding. Yes, he would be very typecast and I am not a fan of British actors as villains, unless they look somewhat foreign. But even sometimes typecasting works: Christopher Lee in, well, a lot of movies (and he is also a good example of a British actor who can easily pass as foreign), for instance.

Oh and right now, judging by how Ejiofor keeps mum every time he is being asked, I think it is far more credible that he will play the villain than Strong, or anyone else.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Some of you aren't too familiar with the dynamics of fighting. Just because Bautista is physically more imposing than Craig it doesn't mean the fight will or should be one sided.

Case in point: the Viper versus the Mountain.

That said, if they cast Bautista, I think they will make at least the beginning of the fight one sided, with Bond having to use his wits to vanquish his adversary. Not like Batman versus Bane, but it will have an air of David versus Goliath.
    There were rumours earlier this year that Penelope Cruz could fill the leading Bond girl role. What do you think about that?
    There were rumours earlier this year that Penelope Cruz could fill the leading Bond girl role. What do you think about that?

Unlikely, and too famous.

Hmmmm......I remember when I said in 2011 I would love to see an actor like Javier Bardem play the villain, certain fans said the same :-).
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Hmmmm......I remember when I said in 2011 I would love to see an actor like Javier Bardem play the villain, certain fans said the same :-).

Would you like an award?
    GalaSilva wrote: »

Would you like an award?

No. But if you pecify the category, perhaps you can give it to yourself?

Well, Bardem is more famous than the usual casting choice for villain, but he is no say Tom Cruise.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thank God Bardem is nothing like Cruise, I say. :)

It would be great if they surprised us with the casting choice of the main villain. It does begin to feel more like it will be Ejiofor.
    I wouldn't be mad if Cruz was cast. She's a phenomenal actress but I don't see it happening.

And @ludovico, you're spot on.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Thank God Bardem is nothing like Cruise, I say. :)

It would be great if they surprised us with the casting choice of the main villain. It does begin to feel more like it will be Ejiofor.

I'm rewatching "Skyfall" with the commentary from Michael G. Wilson: "Now what's interesting here is that....the next shot of Javier [the tube run chase] is the first one we did in the movie. The very first shot. And what happens is he smiles here. And I remember seeing that and I thought "Boy, we got the right guy for this part!". Because his smile is sooo evil, like he's playing a game :-P. "

This kind of funny insight does tell you something about casting decisions. Lovely man Michael Wilson is by the way. Allthough not directly related to Cubby, he does have his warmth :-).

• Loads of new posts so I've skipped a few pages, so maybe this has been mentioned, but anyway

Remember when somebody suggested The Rock for a henchman role and a bunch of people complained, acting like the Bond series was above casting him and that it'd never happen?

Well while The Rock hasn't been cast I read that the guy rumoured to be the new henchman was also a wrestler. So whoever suggested The Rock actually wasn't that far off and yet he got slated for it.
    Loads of new posts so I've skipped a few pages, so maybe this has been mentioned, but anyway

Remember when somebody suggested The Rock for a henchman role and a bunch of people complained, acting like the Bond series was above casting him and that it'd never happen?

Well while The Rock hasn't been cast I read that the guy rumoured to be the new henchman was also a wrestler. So whoever suggested The Rock actually wasn't that far off and yet he got slated for it.

Could be. But when people simply read the casting more detailedly, they would have been prepared much better. Also, there is a difference between a henchman and the leading villain. Since when were henchmen potential Nobel Prize scientists?
  • It's late and I've had a bit to drink so maybe its just me, but I don't really understand what you're saying here?

I'm not on about the lead villian. I'm talking about the henchman. Somebody suggested The Rock for the henchman and everyone shot down the idea acting like he wasn't worthy of being in a Bond film because we've had Javier Bardem. Now the rumoured henchman is Baitista (essentially a cheaper version of The Rock) so those people (the ones saying EON wouldn't cast someone like The Rock) have been proven wrong.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm surprised by the casting of Batista as well, and if it's true, I'm not that happy about it. Only because of his link to WWE (mindless entertainment for the low-browed) and so I (perhaps snootily) do find him a bit unworthy of the Bond universe. Mind you, I felt the same way about Teri Hatcher way back during TND.

Conversely, I found Famke Janssen (an unknown to me) to be the best hench/man/woman of the past 20 years.

Anyway, if he's cast I hope he does a good job - because we've been waiting a loooong time for a quality henchman - especially after that complete loser (with a wig) from QoS.

quote="thelivingroyale;377398"]It's late and I've had a bit to drink so maybe its just me, but I don't really understand what you're saying here?

I'm not on about the lead villian. I'm talking about the henchman. Somebody suggested The Rock for the henchman and everyone shot down the idea acting like he wasn't worthy of being in a Bond film because we've had Javier Bardem. Now the rumoured henchman is Baitista (essentially a cheaper version of The Rock) so those people (the ones saying EON wouldn't cast someone like The Rock) have been proven wrong.[/quote]