The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes, I agree. With even 70's special effects, it should have been a lot better. The effects seem to be from a child's chemistry set. And a poor one at that.
  • The inexplicable fast-motion of the Disco Volante at the end of Thunderball has always been a personal favorite, but the DAF lasers probably do take the cake.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    royale65 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. With even 70's special effects, it should have been a lot better. The effects seem to be from a child's chemistry set. And a poor one at that.

Exactly my thoughts to the letter!
  • Whoa--haven't been on the forums in a brick. The lasers in DAF are laughable today (maybe they ran out of money after paying connery's salary), but I would have to give the distinction to the sped up boat chase in thunderball.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2014 Posts: 15,690
    I think the 2 worst special effects of the Connery era are the DAF lasers and the TB sped up boat chase. But I would put the lasers as #1, because they are much more noticeable. Not saying the sped up boat in TB was ok but the whole fight scene was insane, even John Barry went ballistic with the score, everything was happening at 300km/h that there's a million thing happening at the same time. The lasers in DAF were just a big WTF moment.
  • I put the chase scene below the lasers because the chase should have been a lot simpler; they didn't have to be going that fast for there to be tension; whereas the laser scene could not have been done without a plethora of visual effects.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Somehow the sped up boat thing in TB never aggravated me that much. With Barry's exciting score and the quick editing, I'm somewhat enjoying the whole thing.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Somehow the sped up boat thing in TB never aggravated me that much. With Barry's exciting score and the quick editing, I'm somewhat enjoying the whole thing.

Glad I wasn't the only one :\">

I agree with the thesis by the way. Although the effects when Goldfinger is sucked out the plane are pretty laughable now.
    Is it the lasers or the explosions we're referring to hear or both? I think the explosions were particularly duff and looked like a very minor puff of steam/smoke and no more. I understand from watching the DAF Ultimate Edition DVD that the effects of the explosions of the missiles and submarine were actually layered and were very difficult to create so it seems this may explain why it looks a bit naff/silly. The Thunderball finale was very exciting, though the boat is going at a stratospheric speed due to editing issues by Peter Hunt on the film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Given the era, I don't mind the laser effects at all, what REALLY bugs me about DAF is the crappy optical helicopter explosions in the finale!!! :-q
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Given the era, I don't mind the laser effects at all, what REALLY bugs me about DAF is the crappy optical helicopter explosions in the finale!!! :-q

Again, that's the same problem of the layered on explosion effects so it's two sides of the one coin if you will. Look at the Extras on the Ultimate Edition DVDs for more details of what I am referring to.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I would say disagree. They weren't as bad as the awful rocket fire exhaust from YOLT when Bird one was launching into space or the bad Volcano matte painting effect.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I would say disagree. They weren't as bad as the awful rocket fire exhaust from YOLT when Bird one was launching into space or the bad Volcano matte painting effect.

Really?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Really?
    I find them to be slightly better than YOLT's effects shots. Though DAF's effects aren't anything special either.

Really?
    I find them to be slightly better than YOLT's effects shots. Though DAF's effects aren't anything special either.

I think the DVDs and Blu-rays probably show up more of the façade than in the old days! :)

Really?

I think the DVDs and Blu-rays probably show up more of the façade than in the old days! :)

True. But I'm from the 90's so I'm looking at it with those eyes.

Really?

True. But I'm from the 90's so I'm looking at it with those eyes.

Indeed, I was only born in 1984 myself!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,844
    Agree wholeheartedly here. Those special effects shots in Diamonds Are Forever make me cringe like nothing else in the series. They are Z movie bad. Even in a film as cheesy and non-serious as Diamonds Are Forever they stick out sorely. Poorest effects of the franchise.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The worse bit is the Chinese bloke running in front of a screen on fire. Simply awful.
    It's all here:
    Poorest effects of the franchise.
    OTOH those poor opticals had some really great sound effects accompanying them. Just sayin'.
    :)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I would have to agree. I'd also agree with @chrisisall regarding those awful helicopter explosions. Simply terrible.

I don't mind the model rocket shots in YOLT, it's the over reliance on rear projection in that release that grinds my gears.
    The worse bit is the Chinese bloke running in front of a screen on fire. Simply awful.

Agreed - that is truly dire - not sure whether we're meant to laugh or cry at that point in the proceedings, not for the first time in that film!
    :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And how about that model plane at the end of GF. You can even see the strings.

So disagree.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,813
    True, but Diamonds are Forever was the newest Connery film, and with all the money they made one would think the effects would get better. The clip of the soldier catching fire was the most laughable part!

They pulled a Superman IV on us!! This is one of many reasons the movie would have been saved by Lazenby returning-- the whole freaking budget went straight to Connery
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    That soldier was just catching fire before it became cool with Ghost Rider :P
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,800
    I'm in agreement with @Master_Dahark above that most of DAF's budget went on Connery's fee. This perhaps helps to explain why the special effects and explosions were so poor.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 311</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>DAF's laser mayhem offered the poorest effects of the Connery years.</b></font>

With hindsight maybe? But at the time probably not! So i would also disagree.
    Duh...
    The laser effects , the FX, even stuntmen just did not seem to fall with the gracefulness we were used to in Bond films.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Duh...
    The laser effects , the FX, even stuntmen just did not seem to fall with the gracefulness we were used to in Bond films.
    Back in the day (a phrase us over 40-types are fond of) the FX for DAF were mostly good. Not great & not terrible.