The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 908
    I might be be wrong,but doesn't all of Bonds hacking abilities in CR rely on knowing miraculously Ms' password? Story wise one of the Low points of CR. Very cheap and extremely annoying in an insulting way (you know just like everything in Skyfall.)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I doubt we'll see him Skyping with Bond on his iPad the whole film.

I wish I could share your optimism given the past three films have just been extended adverts for the Sony Vaio and Xperia.
    I don't think Bond's computer skills are displayed as that great in CR. Isn't hacking into M's computer just meant he could figure out her password. And she is an elderly woman from a generation that did not use much the machines, for all we know her password was the name of her dog.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Seeing as she was the HEAD of Mi6 I would have thought it would have been a requirement for her password to be a little less obvious than the name of her dog :p
  • BAIN123 wrote: »
    Seeing as she was the HEAD of Mi6 I would have thought it would have been a requirement for her password to be a little less obvious than the name of her dog.

THIS! Big Way!!
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Seeing as she was the HEAD of Mi6 I would have thought it would have been a requirement for her password to be a little less obvious than the name of her dog :p

I am exaggerating, but a high ranking civil servant is not necessarily computer savy. Oh, and the current C had his pictures on his daughter's Facebook page.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I am exaggerating, but a high ranking civil servant is not necessarily computer savy. Oh, and the current C had his pictures on his daughter's Facebook page.

For some reason I'm not that surprised.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    I read somewhere hacking consisted of three quarters human thoughtlessness on the side of the victim and only one quarter actual tech skills. Even people working in sensitive fields write down complicated passwords under their keyboard or use the names of spouses and kids without changing the pattern for years. Identity theft is a crime which is made possible largely because people use one password for any number of online services.
    Wouldn't there at least be more than one password you would have to enter if you were in a top security job? Perhaps not. I don't know how these things work.
    You can of course set up hurdles like several passwords which mustn't be identical. But if people are lazy they could still just use xyz1, xyz2, xyz3. And security is helpless when people write them down next to the screen or keyboard. The article I read claimed that was just what many users did.
    Bottom line is, James Bond was not particularly skilled in CR when he logged into M's computer. Certainly not to the point of making the new Q redundant.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 23,564
    Fair enough, guys. I must say I have learned interesting insights. ;-)

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 308</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>McClory stole the character of Fatima Blush from TB's Fiona Volpe.</b></font>

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Who says that Volpe wasn't McClory's character? ;-)

PS - TRUE
    I actually find both women interesting so really cannot give a &#*%**
    @SaintMark, good point.
    However, isn't it somewhat ironic that McClory sued the hell out of Fleming and EON, on many occasions over many decades no less, for something as ridiculous as for example Bond going under water in TSWLM or LTK, while he himself took an iconic character from the movie TB, when said character wasn't even in the book?
    If you read The Battle For Bond you will find that Fatima Blush is actually a character featured in some of the drafts (I'm pretty sure she was actually even created by Fleming but I am prepared to stand corrected on this by someone who can actually be bothered to check as I cant be arsed to take the book off the shelf) so Mcclory had every right to use her.

What I cant recall is whether she was a femme fatale or not so I think theres is a fair case that she was copying Fiona but it is not 100% accurate as shes is there in some of the scripts.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    There are some elements of Fiona in Fatima, but Fatima is more psychotic. :))
    I too think I've read about Blush being in the early TB scripts. Wouldn't Eon have sued NSNA is she hadn't been?
    NSNA is a straight remake of TB so there is no surprise that the latter film had the Fatima Blush character.
  • More like Xenia stole from Fatima/Fiona
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Fair enough, guys. I must say I have learned interesting insights. ;-)

<font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 308</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>McClory stole the character of Fatima Blush from TB's Fiona Volpe.</b></font>

Hard to say as they are both pretty strong characters! I loved Fatima Blush! But? I love Fiona Volpe more! With that i am going to have to sit on the fence on this one?
    ONLY Fatima Blush? Blofeld's cat too, absent from the novels and no way representative of the character until Young (I think) came with the idea in FRWL. And Blofeld's scar.
    If you read The Battle For Bond you will find that Fatima Blush is actually a character featured in some of the drafts (I'm pretty sure she was actually even created by Fleming but I am prepared to stand corrected on this by someone who can actually be bothered to check as I cant be arsed to take the book off the shelf) so Mcclory had every right to use her.

What I cant recall is whether she was a femme fatale or not so I think theres is a fair case that she was copying Fiona but it is not 100% accurate as shes is there in some of the scripts.

Fiona Volpe is not featured in the novel, in any way.

I didnt say that she was.

I didnt say that she was.

What I mean is that the femme fatale is not featured in the novel, which casts at least some doubt to the paternity of the character. If Fleming invented her, why didn't he use her?

In any case, Fleming in his books had more ugly and sexually neutral villainesses than femmes fatales. The femmes fatales really came with the movies.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    delete
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I just had to add...
    NicNac wrote: »
    CONCLUSION
    Connery's Bond evolves slowly from the tetchy, cruel Bond of DN to the weary, hard nosed Bond of DAF.
    Moore simply changes his performance from TMWTGG to TSWLM to suit the new, stripped down and rebuilt films which would suit the late 70s.
    ...this is a brilliant take IMHO.

About the present question- SO WHAT?? We didn't SEE Stamper getting a father influence from Kaufman so it's not valid? Did we SEE Vader being Luke's father before he said it to him on the antenna array? Please, let's NOT demand extra scenes to explain EVERYTHING! ;)

We give you an argument towards Spottiswoode's incompetent direction, and all you have to say in rebuttal is "who cares?"
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    They're both naughty in the right way, therefore, I'm indifferent on the thesis.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 309</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Glen's editing in OHMSS was the most aggressive until QOS.</b></font>
    there is a difference between aggressive editing and excessive editing!!