SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Strong as Blofeld would be great. I just hope Quantum are brought back.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    especially since it has been reintroduced in many franchises: the public can and will take it. Of course, it can be a lose continuity, just like Fleming did. He had standalone adventures for Bond, but there was an underlying menace. And there is worse to do than going back to Fleming's roots.

Having an underlying menace, which wasn't even underlying, it was front and centre for 3 novels is hardly going back to Flemings roots. There were 11 other novels whereby Bond had character progression and a sense of continuity through the political climate, but where the villains all presented a different threat or challenge and came from different walks of life, had different political persuasions and different goals. Clubbing everyone together under some nefarious, pseudo-political umbrella seems limiting to me.

Plus the fact 'other franchises are doing it' is reason enough not to. Bond should play by its own rules, not follow the temporary ones imposed by others.

I was referring to SMERSH, which was behind, directly or indirectly the plots of CR, LALD, MR and FRWL. And you could add GF.

Bond should play by his own rules, yes... That is why there is no problem with recurring threats: he has done so in the novels AND in the early movies.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 14,838
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Not reading potential spoilers (or any other posts), but I saw on Facebook that Mark Strong may be the villain? I'm beyond thrilled, if that is the case.

I think it is just a rumour. I am of two minds about Mark Strong if he becomes a villain in Bond 24: that looks a bit too much like typecasting for my taste. Then again, he looks far nastier than Ejiofor and he can look brutish and ugly.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,619
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Location scouting is no jolly holiday. And it costs the production money to fly/transport actors and crew to potential locations and accommodate and feed them etc. for however long the recce takes - normally a few days on a foreign location. So I don't think Mark Strong is there just to tag along with his close mate Daniel.

I don't think Mark Strong is there as a cast member of Bond 24, exactly because location scouting is so expensive. Since when are actors taking part of location scouting? I can understand Daniel being there since he is the main actor but why would any other actor take part of location scouting?

By the way, Strong playing any villain in the film would be complete typecasting. Him playing someone who is on Bond's side would be much more interesting.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    By the way, Strong playing any villain in the film would be complete typecasting. Him playing someone who is on Bond's side would be much more interesting.

I agree with you. But, when I think about it, there's been a lot villains in the series that have been typecasted before.

Pajan005 wrote: »

I agree with you. But, when I think about it, there's been a lot villains in the series that have been typecasted before.

My other issue with Strong is that he is British. British villains, or villains played by Brits regardless of their nationality is so typecast it is not even funny. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not: Cumberbatch playing Khan took away the exoticism of the character as well as its roots. And in a franchise that has a British heroes and traditionally foreign villains, it is more interesting casting a non Brit as a villain. Or someone who, like Christopher Lee, has some non British blood and could be seen as foreign (actually one of the objections people gave to Lee when he started acting: he looked too foreign for British movies).
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Pajan005 wrote: »

My other issue with Strong is that he is British. British villains, or villains played by Brits regardless of their nationality is so typecast it is not even funny. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not: Cumberbatch playing Khan took away the exoticism of the character as well as its roots. And in a franchise that has a British heroes and traditionally foreign villains, it is more interesting casting a non Brit as a villain. Or someone who, like Christopher Lee, has non British blood and could be seen as exotic.

Well, nothing is confirmed yet. But Marc Strong playing a villain will not have the impact that Javier Barden had. I think there's a certain link to fame (brand recognition of the actor/crew) and financial success.

Yes, it doesn't have anything to do with the actual quality of the film and it's acting. Nor does it make the actual villain worse. But I do think Javier Bardem's Silva set a benchmark (I for instance found him the best villain since Dr. No, ohmss's Blofeld, Scaramanga and Zomin). It would be nice if the producers follow up this benchmark.
    My suggestion: cast a non British actor as a villain again as they did in the first three Craig movies (except in very minor roles), or a British actor that is to a degree or another "foreign" (Ciaran Hinds who like Christopher Lee is half Italian, for instance, although he may be a bit old now).

I think at this point it is very likely that Ejiofor will play the villain. I am so far not so enthusiastic about it as he is too young and good looking for my taste, and British, but let's see.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 212
    Obertilliach to host aircraft crash sequence, apparently Sölden also been fixed as filming location: http://t.co/VqS0iVKbpG

• Obertilliach to host aircraft crash sequence, apparently Sölden also been fixed as filming location: http://t.co/VqS0iVKbpG

Wow!! Amazing news! So Sölden is confirmed also! The Rettenbachferner glacier near Sölden is one of the most popular black piste resorts in Austria!! Apparently, it was one of the candidate resorts to host the alpine skiing events if Salzburg would have hosted the 2014 Winter Olympics. Currently, Rettenbachferner glacier is used for many World Cup and World Championship Alpine Skiing events. Just have a look at the Wiki-page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rettenbach_glacier

The Rettenbachferner glacier in summer:
    Oetztaler_Rettenbachferner.jpg
    The Rettenbachferner glacier in winter:
    jechlas_zwieselstein_winter_09.jpg
    IMG_5486_zps6387caf7.jpg

The Rettenbachferner Glacier is located in between two of the highest mountains in Austria, the "Äußere Schwarze Schneid" (3,255 m's) and the "Karleskogel" (3,106 m's). And the glacier eventually flows into the alpine city of Sölden.

Wun-der-ful news :-). It seems we're getting a true classical "winter Bond film", with perhaps some memorable ski chases!
    Obertilliach to host aircraft crash sequence, apparently Sölden also been fixed as filming location: http://t.co/VqS0iVKbpG

Nice find! The article also mentions that they will shoot at this place: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rettenbachferner Now this place does look like the Spitsbergen!
    It is fantastic to see all these confirmed and rumoured location photo's! Some really stunning pictures!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,119
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    It is fantastic to see all these confirmed and rumoured location photo's! Some really stunning pictures!

Yeah, for me as a Bond fan @RogueAgent it's like many of my dreams for Bond 24 are becoming true. Just have a look at these topics now:

--> http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4746/top-5-elements-bond-24-must-have-to-tackle-every-bit-of-criticism-that-surrounded-skyfall#latest

--> http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5596/bringing-skiing-to-new-levels-in-bond-24-bring-in-julian-carr-halvor-angvik#latest

I updated them with the latest news and I added some stunning pictures to them. Damn, I'm like a little kid again. Just like back in September 2011 8-}.
    It seems we're getting a true classical "winter Bond film",

I doubt that. Don't forget that Rome and Morocco and probably London will be filming locations too. It won't be a winter Bond film like OHMSS.

Sölden, plenty of opportunities:
    https-images.seekda.com-at_vvw_adttl-ad-therme-oetztal-talfrische-01-orig.jpeg
    news-iceq-soelden.jpg?id=603
    winterurlaub-soelden.jpg
    Before everyone gets excited about a "winter Bond film", don't forget that it is possible that only the PTS will feature these snowy locations. It is not unlikely that the main storyline will take place in Rome + Morocco.
  • It seems we're getting a true classical "winter Bond film",

I doubt that. Don't forget that Rome and Morocco and probably London will be filming locations too. It won't be a winter Bond film like OHMSS.

Well, if both the Grand Hotel Lienz ánd the Dolomiten Golf Hotel have been rent out for more than one month. And if two freight jets have been sent to East-Tirol for the purposes of filming, then what you are saying could be untrue.

Secondly, Obertilliach for me seems like the final location, used in the 2nd half of the movie. Like Scotland in "Skyfall". Also, they use both Sölden and Obertilliach.

The PTS and the 1st half of the movie are very vital to the plot too. But for me it seems that Rome and Casablanca/Tangiers will be used in that 1st half of the film.
    Before everyone gets excited about a "winter Bond film", don't forget that it is possible that only the PTS will feature these snowy locations. It is not unlikely that the main storyline will take place in Rome + Morocco.
    Good point. They spent little more than two months in Turkey for SF, to shoot what amounts to 10-15 minutes of movie runtime.
    Secondly, Obertilliach for me seems like the final location, used in the 2nd half of the movie. Like Scotland in "Skyfall". Also, they use both Sölden and Obertilliach.

I hope you are right and I also hope that these Austrian locations will be Austria on screen and not Norway.
  • Before everyone gets excited about a "winter Bond film", don't forget that it is possible that only the PTS will feature these snowy locations. It is not unlikely that the main storyline will take place in Rome + Morocco.

What would you personally like?

What would you personally like?

Morocco as the PTS. A little bit of London, then Rome in the middle of the movie and Austria at the end. NO Spitsbergen!
    Oh man I would love another winter Bond film. That's part of why OHMSS is one of my favorite Bond films.
    @PanchitoPistoles

My gut feeling tells me that the PTS will be in Rome.
  • nice that the Rettenbachferner news has already found it's way here... ;)

filming in Obertilliach is scheduled for 3 to 7 days (I think this number is for the 1st unit...)

If they are only filming at the Rettenbachferner in Sölden, then I think Austria will double for Norway. And that Obertilliach and Sölden will be seen in one sequence with the plane crash. But right know we don't know yet if they will also shoot somewhere else in Western Austria/Tirol...

And how much of these news are genuine and not glorified rumours?

I wish a lot of them were true and I'd LOVE a snowy Bond film. But for now there is little evidence.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Either way we have beautiful locations for Bond 24 and here's hoping we get to spend enough time wuth these places to appreciate it's beauty.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Yeah, for me as a Bond fan @RogueAgent it's like many of my dreams for Bond 24 are becoming true. Just have a look at these topics now:

--> http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4746/top-5-elements-bond-24-must-have-to-tackle-every-bit-of-criticism-that-surrounded-skyfall#latest

--> http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5596/bringing-skiing-to-new-levels-in-bond-24-bring-in-julian-carr-halvor-angvik#latest

I updated them with the latest news and I added some stunning pictures to them. Damn, I'm like a little kid again. Just like back in September 2011 8-}.

It is great now we are all getting into full build up mode!
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Sölden, plenty of opportunities:
    https-images.seekda.com-at_vvw_adttl-ad-therme-oetztal-talfrische-01-orig.jpeg
    news-iceq-soelden.jpg?id=603
    winterurlaub-soelden.jpg

These images are something else! The top picture in particular!!! :-O
  • We don't know for sure yet if Austria will be the main location (2nd half/finale) of Bond 24. But Sölden and its Rettenbachferner glacier make the chance very very big that Bond 24 will be a showcase for some very good snow action (skiing, paraskiing).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Ludovico wrote: »

And how much of these news are genuine and not glorified rumours?

I wish a lot of them were true and I'd LOVE a snowy Bond film. But for now there is little evidence.

Apart from the fact hotels have been booked and sets are being built.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    So happy to hear and see more and more pointing clearly to some substantial scenes in lovely snowy country. And the above photos are fantastic! And honestly, I don't mind if it is called Norway in the film even though shot elsewhere. That won't ruin the film for me. Very pleased with what I'm hearing about now. :) If it is supposed to be Norway, I'd love some establishing aerial shots of the fjords at some point.

(Of course, I would have preferred them to film it all in Norway, but apparently that was not practical/affordable.)